Sponsored by:

*** Carbon Airbox for 63 Cars ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
Yeah covers should have come with a star for that price...Transplant was fairly painless though.

Here are some finished pics of mine....

http://gallery.me.com/jfmillr72#100177
Nice job with the pics!!......question, do the high flow vrp filters work with the cf box, or are they a different type of filter? I guess I still would like to know if there is a difference between the high flow filters with the standard box, and the new cf box! That cf box looks really cool and I was thinking about getting one, then as usual the mind starts to work with the "what if" or "what about" questions. Too bad there are no picks to compare the inside of each box to see where the additional air flow would come from!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I hope you guys enjoy the airboxes. I know it was a longer wait than estimated and I appreciate your patience throughout.

To answer a few questions:

1) We cannot embed the MB STAR into the engine cover. It has to be left out for legal reasons (as Vadim stated).

2) The filters that are included in the kit are high-flow foam filters (similar to the ones in the 55 airboxes). They are the SAME SIZE as the stock filters and therefore work in stock airboxes also.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by vrus
I hope you guys enjoy the airboxes. I know it was a longer wait than estimated and I appreciate your patience throughout.

To answer a few questions:

1) We cannot embed the MB STAR into the engine cover. It has to be left out for legal reasons (as Vadim stated).

2) The filters that are included in the kit are high-flow foam filters (similar to the ones in the 55 airboxes). They are the SAME SIZE as the stock filters and therefore work in stock airboxes also.

NP about the MB emblem....i figured it was something like that.

As far as the filters go it was my understanding too that they are high flow as well.

First impression of the the cars response after boxes were installed....

Off the line first 60 ft not sure if there is any real difference, BUT once you get up to about 25 mph I thought there was a BIG increase in responsiveness. Car seems faster once air starts to get sucked in....
I am very happy with the power increase from 25 mph and above!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Jeff,

I am very glad to hear you like them. You should definitely feel a difference in power on the highway at speed. I know your 1/4mile times will improve.

NP about the MB emblem....i figured it was something like that.

As far as the filters go it was my understanding too that they are high flow as well.

First impression of the the cars response after boxes were installed....

Off the line first 60 ft not sure if there is any real difference, BUT once you get up to about 25 mph I thought there was a BIG increase in responsiveness. Car seems faster once air starts to get sucked in....
I am very happy with the power increase from 25 mph and above!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Mine is being installed as I type this. I am heading to the drag strip on Saturday to put it to the test. I have run as quick as a 12.19 already, do you think this can get me a sub 12 pass? What should I expect in E/T gains? What did you guys see in E/T and MPH gains to come up with the HP rating gains you posted early on?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Jim,

The only way to verify the exact performance gains on your car is go to the track with the stock airbox and do 3 or 4 passes stock. Then switch out the airbox for the carbon setup and do another 3 or 4 passes.. take the average of before & after and compare the differences.

If the weather cooperates this Saturday you should beat your best time...

This is what was done to test the airboxes when they were created. HP was extrapolated based on improvements in 1/4mile.

Originally Posted by jrcart
Mine is being installed as I type this. I am heading to the drag strip on Saturday to put it to the test. I have run as quick as a 12.19 already, do you think this can get me a sub 12 pass? What should I expect in E/T gains? What did you guys see in E/T and MPH gains to come up with the HP rating gains you posted early on?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Jim,

The only way to verify the exact performance gains on your car is go to the track with the stock airbox and do 3 or 4 passes stock. Then switch out the airbox for the carbon setup and do another 3 or 4 passes.. take the average of before & after and compare the differences.

If the weather cooperates this Saturday you should beat your best time...

This is what was done to test the airboxes when they were created. HP was extrapolated based on improvements in 1/4mile.
So what were the actual improvments in the E/T's with the new box installed? You posted a HP increase of 15hp, what does that equate to in E/T improvments? Are you talking .100 second or .500 second???
Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
i will have to say after I installed these last night and went for my test drive with the new boxes around midnight....nice cool air for the first time in a long time when I hammered the throttle I got a little nervous about how strong the car was pulling with these new boxes. Not nervous in a bad way but in a good. My car pulled strong before, and now it is REALLY pulling...
I know my 1/4 mile times Must be improved by these boxes and filters. it really did give me added power(not sure how much but it does feel noticably stronger)....looking forward to getting to track sometime this summer and fall to try and get some new times!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm not doubting that there will be gains, I am just curious as to what I should be looking for gains wise. I am curious for a couple reasons, first of which is that I already have a modified intake on my car, I need to know if this is going to be better or worse than my current modded set-up. I also want to know for everyone elses sake. My car is somewhat heavily modded, I'm sure the gains I see in my car are going to be different than that of a guy bolting this unit onto a stock Black Series. I would assume that my gains may be more significant than others due to my headres, X-pipe aand cat delete. You figure if you get it breating on the back end better the engine will love the extra breath of air on the front side. I'm just trying to go into this with as much info as possible to when I report back to you all I can post the most accurate info possible.

The idea of going to the track and mounting and dis-mounting this system does not appeal to me, I am going to have to base it on my times from two weeks ago. I know this is not ideal, a different track, different air temp and humidity, but it's going to have to do, for the time being anyway.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
I'm not doubting that there will be gains, I am just curious as to what I should be looking for gains wise. I am curious for a couple reasons, first of which is that I already have a modified intake on my car, I need to know if this is going to be better or worse than my current modded set-up. I also want to know for everyone elses sake. My car is somewhat heavily modded, I'm sure the gains I see in my car are going to be different than that of a guy bolting this unit onto a stock Black Series. I would assume that my gains may be more significant than others due to my headres, X-pipe aand cat delete. You figure if you get it breating on the back end better the engine will love the extra breath of air on the front side. I'm just trying to go into this with as much info as possible to when I report back to you all I can post the most accurate info possible.

The idea of going to the track and mounting and dis-mounting this system does not appeal to me, I am going to have to base it on my times from two weeks ago. I know this is not ideal, a different track, different air temp and humidity, but it's going to have to do, for the time being anyway.

thats understandable...

See for myself after having some runs under my belt I can already tell there is a difference.
Also my intake was basically stock, other then I removed the stock charcoal filters and cut off the plastic cover in the grill area which covers the intake holes. So from a stock standpoint in that area I can say i feel significant gains. For someone like you already heavily modified in this area I dont know how much additional it might give...Maybe more, maybe a little less then what VRP rates the boxes to do. Good luck with your finds.
If it were me, install them, drive it around. see if you can tell a difference...goto the track see what you can run, bring the stock boxes with you JUST incase you are running slower and dont mind spending the 20 minutes it takes to put these one and see how your other setup works.

I know I am personally excited to see how much faster I should run now!

GL!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
So which filters are better (performance wise) ?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 PM

We know thie difference between the stock set-up vs stock/high flow filters. Vadim already has the dyno results on that.Question is, what is the difference inside that would make this cf box flow better that the stock box/high flow filters?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
We know thie difference between the stock set-up vs stock/high flow filters. Vadim already has the dyno results on that.Question is, what is the difference inside that would make this cf box flow better that the stock box/high flow filters?
Well, I was also wondering if there's any performance difference between the original HiFlow air filters and the ones that come with the boxes. Whether the comparison is on stock setup or the new CF air boxes, I wonder which air filter is better to use?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Well, I was also wondering if there's any performance difference between the original HiFlow air filters and the ones that come with the boxes. Whether the comparison is on stock setup or the new CF air boxes, I wonder which air filter is better to use?
Me too! If the stock box with the high flow filters product about 10 ponies or so, how much more would the CF box produce with the filters, and really what is the difference between the stock box internaly vs the CF box. Looking at the pics, there really is not much room to make the box bigger, so my question remains, what makes the CF box flow more and produce more power over the stock box with hogh flow filters?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Me too! If the stock box with the high flow filters product about 10 ponies or so, how much more would the CF box produce with the filters, and really what is the difference between the stock box internaly vs the CF box. Looking at the pics, there really is not much room to make the box bigger, so my question remains, what makes the CF box flow more and produce more power over the stock box with hogh flow filters?
The boxes are bigger. I wish I had taken a pic side by side, but internally the CF boxes look at 25% larger as they expand over the sides of the intake tubes area. the stock boxes dont do that..
Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 AM

The boxes are bigger. I wish I had taken a pic side by side, but internally the CF boxes look at 25% larger as they expand over the sides of the intake tubes area. the stock boxes dont do that..
Looking at the pics that XABO put up, the side intake does look bigger than the stock one. Vadim on his last post said that he was going to dyno the CF box, which if the results are there, I will buy the CF box. I stand corrected on the horsepower with the high flow filters and the stock box, I said it was 10, and Vadim had it dynoed at 17..nice number.

BTW, what does the butt dyno tell you, as compaired to the stock with high flow filters..?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Looking at the pics that XABO put up, the side intake does look bigger than the stock one. Vadim on his last post said that he was going to dyno the CF box, which if the results are there, I will buy the CF box. I stand corrected on the horsepower with the high flow filters and the stock box, I said it was 10, and Vadim had it dynoed at 17..nice number.

BTW, what does the butt dyno tell you, as compaired to the stock with high flow filters..?
Maybe someone can post a pic that hasnt completed the install, but the stock boxes are visibly smaller when looked at upside down into the box. The Cf box kinda flanges out to allow more air into the box. If no one does it by later today maybe I will take one off so I can take a pic side by side underneath.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Regarding filters.. it all comes down to preference.. I am a fan of foam filters... I think they flow better than the cotton counterparts.. I havent put both on a dyno back to back but I've swapped mine in and out between the foam and the BMC and I think the car is more responsive with the foam.

It really comes down to personal preference and that is why there are 2 filter offerings.. Some people do not like foam and for those guys the cotton versions are available.

I think if someone really wants to put an end to the debate; take the 63 to the track with both filters in hand.. do a pass with the CF airbox with cotton filters and then do another pass with the foams and see if either show an improvement. Its a 15min job to re/re the filters so it shouldnt take long to perform the tests.

Regarding the airbox sizes.. they are LARGER than the stock counterparts.. I didnt even think to take the pics of the stock and CF versions side by side.

If someone could please do that and post it I would really appreciate it.

Enjoy guys!!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Regarding filters.. it all comes down to preference.. I am a fan of foam filters... I think they flow better than the cotton counterparts.. I havent put both on a dyno back to back but I've swapped mine in and out between the foam and the BMC and I think the car is more responsive with the foam.

It really comes down to personal preference and that is why there are 2 filter offerings.. Some people do not like foam and for those guys the cotton versions are available.

I think if someone really wants to put an end to the debate; take the 63 to the track with both filters in hand.. do a pass with the CF airbox with cotton filters and then do another pass with the foams and see if either show an improvement. Its a 15min job to re/re the filters so it shouldnt take long to perform the tests.

Regarding the airbox sizes.. they are LARGER than the stock counterparts.. I didnt even think to take the pics of the stock and CF versions side by side.

If someone could please do that and post it I would really appreciate it.

Enjoy guys!!

Hey V, you still never answred my question as to what were the actual improvments you saw in E/T's to calcualte the 10-17whp gains. I would like to know before I go to the track on saturday to compare to any improvments I make with my car.

I will swap out my filters this Saturday while I am at the strip, I will try to make a few passes with each filter and document times so we have a more accurate conclusion. I am not sure what brand of filter was in my car by Evosport, I know they tested out several different filters with varying results.

Last edited by jrcart; 07-16-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
I am not sure what brand of filter was in my car by Evosport, I know they tested out several different filters with varying results.
You have VRP filters in your car.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:28 PM

2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Is the consensus that the airbox is worth buying? So is the best tuning available for my E63 going to be the VRP570 + CF Airbox? What sort of HP/TQ should I expect?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:35 PM

2008 E63
mprsev, how do you like the sprint booster?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 PM

2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
I like it. Piece of cake to install and it does make the car "feel" much more responsive.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 PM

2008 E63
sorry for the hi-jack. can you give me the specific part #?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:02 PM

So what were the actual improvments in the E/T's with the new box installed? You posted a HP increase of 15hp, what does that equate to in E/T improvments? Are you talking .100 second or .500 second???
jrcart..never mentioned it before but sweet ride!! I am having a hard time understanding the benefits of the CF box other than looking really good. If the CF box with the foam filters produce 15 hp, and Vadim has dynoed the STOCK BOX with VRP high flow filters and got a 17 hp improvement....am I missing something or what????? Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the CF box, just don't understand the hp figures!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** Carbon Airbox for 63 Cars ***