Cross Country Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Country Drive

Hello all,
Its been a while since I've posted 'round these parts but Ive been reading and its good to see that not much has changed. I know many of you are familiar with the epic journey - the cross country drive - and there is about a 50% chance that come this Tuesday or Wednesday, I will be driving from my home here in Los Angeles, to Miami, Florida. I'll be working with a buddy of mine there for almost a month helping him launch his business, and I'll need a car. I figured I could save airfare and shipping by just driving on over. Please take a minute to drop any of your "do's" and "dont's" as well as any advice you may have. Thanks in advance, and its good to be back.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I would love to do that. I guess it depends on how much time you have to do this. Do you want the "fastest route"? If you have time I would try to stay off the interestates and stick with U.S. Hwy's. If time is of the essence I guess you'll need to stick w/ the Interstates.

The U.S. Hwy. system will put you on some of the most scenic roads in America. If you can do this go to a AAA office and get some of their maps - they have scenic roads designated on all of their maps. If you're a member, they will even plot out the trip for you. I did this when I picked up my TT in Cleveland and drove it back home to L.I. A much shorter trip but was a blast anyway. Took Rte. 6 almost all the way home (one of America's most scenic roads) across PA. It's a lot more fun than the mind-numbing interstate trek.

Have fun and take lots of pics along the way!
Old 05-17-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I am in a bit of a time crunch, but I dont see why I can't dip off the I/S for a while and hit the country roads for some scenery and curves. After all, that IS why I want to do the drive in the E...
Old 05-17-2008, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Last Thanksgiving I did Ft Lauderdale / Kanasas City, RT 2400 mi, loved every minute, fatigue was non existent. Radar/Laser detector is a must have. If you make the trip PM me.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
I'm not sure what your GPS nav situation is but...Garmin Nuvi is a great tool to have on your trip. It is simple stupid to use and the menus that organize points of interest (gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc...) are great on long trips.

I have the Garmin Nuvi 370 portable in my other cars and the Kenwood DNX7100 (w/integrated Garmin GPS) in the E55:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...77&tab=nuvi370

I love the portability, the traffic avoidance feature, and the blue tooth ability with my cell phone.

Have a safe trip. I'm in Tampa and a lot of MBworld'ers in Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area so if you run into trouble send out a PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
For real, don't push your luck on gas stops in the Southwest. Can be a lonnnnnggggg walk/wait for help if you run out smack dab in the middle of nowhere.....and there's plenty of NOWHERE between Tuscon and Elpaso and then for quite awhile out of El Paso.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
And don't go without a radar/laser detector.
You will be tempted to hit 3 figures in parts of AZ, NM and TX, just be prepared to deal with speed traps.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
A couple of other things you might want to consider...

1. AAA
2. Flashlight
3. Fix a Flat cannister(s)
4. Extra coolant
Old 05-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
One bad thing. Your pain job will show the trip. You may want to consider a bra or tape for the front and wheel pits.

Other than that, it is a blast. I'd stay on Interstates and zig zag a bit to see things. I made it to the Utah Salt flats, grand canyon, etc. on mine.

Best advice: use toll roads. people haul nuts on them.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by AMGfan
A couple of other things you might want to consider...

1. AAA
2. Flashlight
3. Fix a Flat cannister(s)
4. Extra coolant
Take a quart or two of oil with you as well. lol

Have fun!! We've done quite a few of cross country trips ourselves and they were a blast.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:06 PM

2003 e55
if you pass by tampa or orlando.. hit us up
Old 05-18-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
I've driven to/from LA to/from VA at least six times. Plan, map and highlight (AAA USA map) your route in advance. Give a copy of your trip plan to someone else and keep them informed of your daily progress. Avoid all northern routes. Mid state routes are okay (I40). Expect thunderstorms, rain and big bugs on all southern routes. Change your oil and add RedLine "Water Wetter" to your radiator for better cooling. Watch out for a lot of law enforcement in northern Texas and wash board lanes in OK. Limit your driving to 450 miles per day due to fatigue. Check with local highway patrol before you start out each morning for any detours, road closures and etc. Start driving early in the morning (6AM or earlier), less traffic, cops, heat/humidity and bugs. Make hotel reservations in advance at each pre-planned stop because the interstate hotels fill-up quickly after 3:00PM. Take advantage of the rest stops; a ten minute rest will do wonders to keep you sharp and focused. Hope you have satellite radio, otherwise bring a lot of CD's as radio stations are few and far between. Put together an emergency kit that consists of flares, warning triangles, tire puncture sealer, tools, extra gas, quart of oil, flashlight, water and etc. Figure on 5-days. Watch out for the truckers especially at night, they will blow your doors off! Don't push it and expect to be bored!

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 05-18-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Wow, nice write up.

I would add to rent a sattelite phone. Something for personal protection if you feel you may need it. A cooler with fruits and vitamin water for in the car.

Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
I've driven to/from LA to/from VA at least six times. Plan, map and highlight (AAA USA map) your route in advance. Give a copy of your trip plan to someone else and keep them informed of your daily progress. Avoid all northern routes. Mid state routes are okay (I40). Expect thunderstorms, rain and big bugs on all southern routes. Change your oil and add RedLine "Water Wetter" to your radiator for better cooling. Watch out for a lot of law enforcement in northern Texas and wash board lanes in OK. Limit your driving to 450 miles per day due to fatigue. Check with local highway patrol before you start out each morning for any detours, road closures and etc. Start driving early in the morning (6AM or earlier), less traffic, cops, heat/humidity and bugs. Make hotel reservations in advance at each pre-planned stop because the interstate hotels fill-up quickly after 3:00PM. Take advantage of the rest stops; a ten minute rest will do wonders to keep you sharp and focused. Hope you have satellite radio, otherwise bring a lot of CD's as radio stations are few and far between. Put together an emergency kit that consists of flares, warning triangles, tire puncture sealer, tools, extra gas, quart of oil, flashlight, water and etc. Figure on 5-days. Watch out for the truckers especially at night, they will blow your doors off! Don't push it and expect to be bored!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Credit Card and cash. The gas is gonna be something these days.

Google maps says the driving time is 39 hours.

Stop by Grand Canyon and the meteor crater, if you are into that type of stuff.

If you go to the grand canyon and New Orleans, the driving time is 44 hours.

It also takes you through Dallas. Go to III Forks for a killer steak.
In new Orleans, hit Bourbon St. and have lunch/dinner at Bon Bon's