Sponsored by:

Which mods do NOT void warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Which mods do NOT void warranty?

Looking to start puttin some things on her but I don't want to void the ever-so necessary warranty. Do upgrades like ECU tunes and pulley upgrades void the warranty? If so, what are some routes to take to get some more power while keeping the car under warranty?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
From what I know is everything but the camshafts,valve springs and throttle body.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Knowing the horrific stories of some with mods, I would advise you to ask your dealer about this. Are they mod friendly?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Know this: Anything you do to increase power or performance can blow it for you. It's really a question of what a dealer chooses to notice and/or report to MB. Tint your windows? Sure. Add the E63 spoiler to the deck? OK, no problem. Add a throttle body, pulley, headers, change the ECU code? You're on your own. Even if your dealer says "no problem", he's likely to change his tune if you lose a motor and the regional MB guy comes snooping around (and he will for anything more than a couple $$$'s). It'll be more like "we never knew this guy was modded!! By all means, let's "status 8" his azz"!!! Don't even THINK of getting inside the motor. You pop a seal or gasket and that $40K+ hand built beauty is all yours fo' sho'!!

Last edited by Fast55; 05-19-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Cosmetic mods.

Anything else from engine, transmission, suspension, brakes "CAN" void your warranty, but not necessarily WILL void them.

All depends on your dealer and your luck.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
trunk spoiler and window tint.... lol.. but even the window tint can mess with radio recieption and can cause a warranty problem...
Old 05-19-2008, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Fast55
Know this: Anything you do to increase power or performance can blow it for you. It's really a question of what a dealer chooses to notice and/or report to MB. Tint your windows? Sure. Add the E63 spoiler to the deck? OK, no problem. Add a throttle body, pulley, headers, change the ECU code? You're on your own. Even if your dealer says "no problem", he's likely to change his tune if you lose a motor and the regional MB guy comes snooping around (and he will for anything more than a couple $$$'s). It'll be more like "we never knew this guy was modded!! By all means, let's "status 8" his azz"!!! Don't even THINK of getting inside the motor. You pop a seal or gasket and that 40K+ hand built beauty is all yours fo' sho'!!
+infinity...you have to really be committed to your car to mod and have some means for the unfortunate scenario where something goes wrong. The scenario that Fast55 described above is exactly what happened to me...The dealer will tolerate things to a point and even say they love the mods, but when it comes to paying out for a repair that is $$$ the first thing they will point the finger to are the mods...it won't matter how good of a customer you are or if their accusations aren't even conclusive.

I'm keeping this car for as long as it still runs (it's not a DD or even a weekend car)...I'll have other cars and some even faster, but the Beast will always have a soft spot in my heart. The good, the great, the bad, and the really ugly...I've been there.

Just don't take the word of dealer if they say they will cover certain mods (i.e. Brabus or Renntech)...get it in writing and make sure they are specific. I'm not sure they will do it but at least try...if they don't then you are on your own...
Old 05-19-2008, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Like others have mentioned, it all depends on he dealer you'll take the car to. Some dealers have voided warranties due to aftermarket rims or window tints while others have honored warranties with RennTech stage 5

Technically, using an aftermarket part should void the warranty of that part ONLY. If that aftermarket part made another part fail, then that second part's warranty would be voided as well, but the dealer have to prove that the aftermarket part used caused the damage.

However, in the real world, not many people fight this fight because it requires a lot of time and a lot of money. The better relationship you have with your dealer, more specifically the service manager, the better off you'll be.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:35 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Like others have mentioned, it all depends on he dealer you'll take the car to. Some dealers have voided warranties due to aftermarket rims or window tints while others have honored warranties with RennTech stage 5

I got my R/T stage 5 installed by the dealer where I bought my car so it would be kind of difficult for them to deny warranty work. My dealer is located about 450 miles from my house. I was getting ready to take my car up for "C" service and I had a major malfunction. I don't want to get specific but suffice it to say, if the dealer wanted to deny warranty, they probably could have. They didn't. They replaced the parts without question. The kicker...it wasn't the dealer who did the R/T installation...so the moral of the story is...it's all dependent on the service manager. I've had nothing but good experiences so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:06 PM

2004 E55
Thanks for the clarification Is the same true for exhaust mods? I guess I'll be sticking to cosmetic mods for now as being a college student leaves me low on funds to be able to void the warranty. Thanks for the help
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
From my experience, MB dealers have been lineant with exhaust mods; most of them will let it go since it's very simple. At worst case scenario, some dealers may only void your exhaust warranty and leave the rest of the warranty intact. But then again, every dealer is slightly different. How's your local dealership? Are they mod friendly? Have you had any issues with them before?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:40 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
From my experience, MB dealers have been lineant with exhaust mods; most of them will let it go since it's very simple. At worst case scenario, some dealers may only void your exhaust warranty and leave the rest of the warranty intact. But then again, every dealer is slightly different. How's your local dealership? Are they mod friendly? Have you had any issues with them before?
I haven't discussed mods with them before but they're a high volume dealer (motorwerks) so their customer service is kinda crappy which I'm assuming will lead to non-mod friendly attitudes But there's a couple other dealers around my area that I could check out and see what they say
Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 AM

E55
The answer is that any non-factory modification can void the warranty on a particular component if the modification in some way actually causes the component to fail. It is improper, although it happens... even to us lawyers, for any seller/manufacturer to make the blanket claim that any aftermarket modification voids the entire warranty on the vehicle.

With that being said, every modification has the potential to void some portion of your warranty if it can be shown that the mod caused the problem. Your chances for success are HUGELY dependant on your SA as other have widely pointed out.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Bisco
I haven't discussed mods with them before but they're a high volume dealer (motorwerks) so their customer service is kinda crappy which I'm assuming will lead to non-mod friendly attitudes But there's a couple other dealers around my area that I could check out and see what they say
what dealer are you going to in chicago...i take mine to mb of westmont and they are pretty good on whatever....
Old 05-20-2008, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Mods that dont void warranty are those that cannot be found...
Old 05-20-2008, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Originally Posted by Fast55
Know this: Anything you do to increase power or performance can blow it for you. It's really a question of what a dealer chooses to notice and/or report to MB. Tint your windows? Sure. Add the E63 spoiler to the deck? OK, no problem. Add a throttle body, pulley, headers, change the ECU code? You're on your own. Even if your dealer says "no problem", he's likely to change his tune if you lose a motor and the regional MB guy comes snooping around (and he will for anything more than a couple $$$'s). It'll be more like "we never knew this guy was modded!! By all means, let's "status 8" his azz"he !!! Don't even THINK of getting inside the motor. You pop a seal or gasket and that $40K+ hand built beauty is all yours fo' sho'!!
+100000

The above just happened to me guys. My dealer worked on the OEM issues even with all my mods. My engine blew and they didn't care if it was due to an OEM part. When
you mod something is bound to happen. It's just the nature of the beast. Just make sure you have extra money to buy a block in your tin can.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:56 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
what dealer are you going to in chicago...i take mine to mb of westmont and they are pretty good on whatever....
Motorwerks in Barrington is the closest to me
Old 05-20-2008, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by BENZGal
+100000

The above just happened to me guys. My dealer worked on the OEM issues even with all my mods. My engine blew and they didn't care if it was due to an OEM part. When
you mod something is bound to happen. It's just the nature of the beast. Just make sure you have extra money to buy a block in your tin can.
Your engine blew???

What happened?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:14 PM

2005 E55
Attached Thumbnails Which mods do NOT void warranty?-nx.jpg  
Old 05-20-2008, 03:15 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
Sorry to be OT... Aleksandar do you have underglow light on your mercedes?
Old 05-20-2008, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
The above just happened to me guys. My dealer worked on the OEM issues even with all my mods.
Exactly, bottom line out of all this. IT COMES DOWN TO THE DEALER GUYS!!

There are mod friendly shops, middle of the road guys that aren't happy about you doing mods but will work with you, and then the Osama Benz Laden shops. I swear to you, before the dream Benz dealer opened up here, the Jihadist against Zionist modders, Ken Garf Mercedes literally told me I would be "flagged" as I rolled into the garage if they determined I had mods on the car.

No real way to determine it (local dealer is cool or not) although you are in a larger market so talk to ChicagoX and the boys about what dealers are mod friendly if any in your area.

Rudyrono literally drives 300miles North from Vegas to my dealer for service cause my guys actually let you do burnouts to show off your mods.
Single reason I am still driving a Benz today and will as long as they stay open.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Exactly, bottom line out of all this. IT COMES DOWN TO THE DEALER GUYS!!

There are mod friendly shops, middle of the road guys that aren't happy about you doing mods but will work with you, and then the Osama Benz Laden shops. I swear to you, before the dream Benz dealer opened up here, the Jihadist against Zionist modders, Ken Garf Mercedes literally told me I would be "flagged" as I rolled into the garage if they determined I had mods on the car.

No real way to determine it (local dealer is cool or not) although you are in a larger market so talk to ChicagoX and the boys about what dealers are mod friendly if any in your area.

Rudyrono literally drives 300miles North from Vegas to my dealer for service cause my guys actually let you do burnouts to show off your mods.
Single reason I am still driving a Benz today and will as long as they stay open.

You are in advertising...aren't you??? You crack me up. And, for the record, it's a bit over 400 miles and well worth it. See you at "D" service!