W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

wow, gas is heading for $5+/gal.. this cant be good

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2008 | 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
wow, gas is heading for $5+/gal.. this cant be good

premium is already $4.50/gal around here, i bet higher in some places. at this rate, plus one terrorist attack or one bigass hurricane and BOOM it could be $5.50 - $6.00+/gal in less than a year.

of course this means that the entire economy will go to sh#t, but considering just gas prices & resale value on gas guzzling, highend cars, how much ***-rape will e55 resale value have to suffer on top of what's been really terrible track record.

i've got associates, mind you these are pretty well-off individuals, who are getting pretty pissed about the gas prices and are buying smaller hybrids/fuel sippers. once gas hits $5+/gal i'm doin the same...
Old 05-23-2008 | 01:08 AM

MB
Originally Posted by ProV1
premium is already $4.50/gal around here, i bet higher in some places. at this rate, plus one terrorist attack or one bigass hurricane and BOOM it could be $5.50 - $6.00+/gal in less than a year.

of course this means that the entire economy will go to sh#t, but considering just gas prices & resale value on gas guzzling, highend cars, how much ***-rape will e55 resale value have to suffer on top of what's been really terrible track record.

i've got associates, mind you these are pretty well-off individuals, who are getting pretty pissed about the gas prices and are buying smaller hybrids/fuel sippers. once gas hits $5+/gal i'm doin the same...

I agree ProV1. Premium unleaded is shooting way up now... even diesel prices are getting outrageous. What's Bush doing about this crisis?? nada...nil Sad to say but I miss those <$3 per gallon days now!
Old 05-23-2008 | 01:22 AM

2003 e55
dam.. 3.95 here for 93 premium now.... when it goes pass 4.. i think its time to go back to china.. hehehe
Old 05-23-2008 | 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
It's always funny to read Mercedes drivers complain about a few dollars more per gallon.
Old 05-23-2008 | 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
I is funny those who would insist on no nuclear power plants, ethanol, no drilling in ANWAR in a airport sized area, and no continental shelf drilling where the Cuba are, would think that those policies they support have no impact on oil prices. It's just Bush.
Old 05-23-2008 | 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
I am actually seeing the up side of high fuel prices, covering same number of miles and using less fuel.
At first I thought it was just me, but about a week ago the local news station confirmed my experience. The amount of traffic in South Florida has been significantly reduced for the first time ever. What I noticed was, during rush hour the stop and go 45 minutes to go 12 miles is now GO 18 minutes to go 12 miles. Many drivers are already finding other means. (TRIRAIL ridership up 70% last month) I can't wait till all the school kids are off for summer and all the SUV driving mommies are off the road too. If the fuel price went to $7 and we had half the cars on the road as we do now, I would love it.

I hate to pay as much as the next guy, and I realize that fuel prices effect the the cost of living. Ask for a raise before you give up on your V8 Mercedes.
Old 05-23-2008 | 09:49 AM

For the past 30 years, the Green push has been curtailing further drilling in our United States. That is fine as long as you don't mind $5 a gallon gasoline. The demand of gasoline has only continued to go up as the finite resource and production from that resource has stayed the same or dropped off. (Google peak oil) The point of this is the oil companies are NOT to blame. Exxon earned 8-9% profit on their money last year. Micro$oft on the other hand was in the high 20s in profit on their money. Now congress and the democrats want to wage a windfall profits tax just on oil companies. That makes a ton of sense.. The only thing the oil companies will do is spend less on exploration to help pay those extra taxes. More demand = higher prices. The windfall profits tax will only apply to our oil companies which will unfairly advantage the importing oil coming from other countries. We need a reality check. It is called alternative fuel. That is the ONLY answer to this problem. Ethanol is not the answer either. It was even more of an environmental impact than oil alone.
Old 05-23-2008 | 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
I am actually seeing the up side of high fuel prices, covering same number of miles and using less fuel.
At first I thought it was just me, but about a week ago the local news station confirmed my experience. The amount of traffic in South Florida has been significantly reduced for the first time ever. What I noticed was, during rush hour the stop and go 45 minutes to go 12 miles is now GO 18 minutes to go 12 miles. Many drivers are already finding other means. (TRIRAIL ridership up 70% last month) I can't wait till all the school kids are off for summer and all the SUV driving mommies are off the road too. If the fuel price went to $7 and we had half the cars on the road as we do now, I would love it.

I hate to pay as much as the next guy, and I realize that fuel prices effect the the cost of living. Ask for a raise before you give up on your V8 Mercedes.

I agree 100%, if it would cut traffic by another 40% let it go to 7$ dollars. Gas is still cheaper in the US than anywhere in the EU. It is all a cycle once people get tired and consumption goes down which it will, the price of oil will be the next bubble to explode and come crashing down. Then all the people who invested in oil commodities will be whining like babies. (just my 2 cents)
Old 05-23-2008 | 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

bone stock E55 AMG

even in socal, i noticed slightly less congestion on freeways after the gas price went up...

Originally Posted by Yacht Master

Old 05-23-2008 | 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
I have a 4 Cyl for commute and a V12 to play (weekender). It is just sad how there is no government intervention and they just sit with their arms crossed. Those *** whipes!
Old 05-23-2008 | 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by zxlr88
It is called alternative fuel. That is the ONLY answer to this problem. Ethanol is not the answer either. It was even more of an environmental impact than oil alone.
The real problem is China. Right now they have only 20 million cars on the road. By 2020 China is expected to have 140 million automobiles and eventually reach around 250 million(which is what the US has right now). If they don't get on the nuclear generated electric car bandwagon it won't make any difference what we do. Oil prices will continue to be high, and the cost of petroleum based products and packaging materials for all other consumer products will be exorbinate!

I say we've got to nuke 'em
Old 05-23-2008 | 02:28 PM

Gs 300, Rx 330
Originally Posted by Lawrenzo
The real problem is China. Right now they have only 20 million cars on the road. By 2020 China is expected to have 140 million automobiles and eventually reach around 250 million(which is what the US has right now). If they don't get on the nuclear generated electric car bandwagon it won't make any difference what we do. Oil prices will continue to be high, and the cost of petroleum based products and packaging materials for all other consumer products will be exorbinate!

I say we've got to nuke 'em
well said..and lets not forget that India is starting to demand Oil too, as a ton of people are starting to drive cars over there too.

If demand goes down in the US, I highly doubt it will really matter considering China and India will be demanding more oil! So who really knows if we will have see low prices of gas again
Old 05-23-2008 | 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by adam28
well said..and lets not forget that India is starting to demand Oil too, as a ton of people are starting to drive cars over there too.

If demand goes down in the US, I highly doubt it will really matter considering China and India will be demanding more oil! So who really knows if we will have see low prices of gas again
India is not so much of a threat because of the lack of infrastructure, i.e. roads... China on the other hand is dangerous!
Old 05-23-2008 | 06:18 PM

2004 E55 AMG
It's a sad thing about Gas prices. I just cut out other things (which is actually good for me) like eat out every day for lunch, eating that filet at home instead of going to ruth's chris, no more movie theater to watch sh*ty movies that are over hiped i rent them on cable when they come out.

I will say this, I REFUSE TO DRIVE DOWN THE FREEWAY LIKE GRANDMA IN AN AMG! I WAS ALREADY PAYING 5-6 BUCKS A GALLON FOR 100 OCTANE FOR MY LAST CAR.

I wouldn't mind having a beater to keep the miles down on my amg, but at this point I don't think it makes any difference.

If anyone is driving around with regular in the tank, I would love to hear how the car runs. the news is throwing hipe out there that you can drive a high performance car on 87 octane.

I am sure the E55 is 91 only.
Old 05-23-2008 | 07:27 PM

1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
I have been buying a new car about every 2 years for the past 20 years. I am now beginning to think that $10/gal gasoline is a fair possibility in the next couple of years. I have become accustomed to taking big depreciation hits every time I trade in, but I think those hits could seem tiny in a couple of years if gas prices increase big time from current levels. I used to think I could afford it, and cars give me a lot of enjoyment. Now I'm beginning to think buying any new upscale car is just dumb.
Old 05-23-2008 | 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
93 went from $3.94 to $4.19 in the past week in the DC Area. $75 to fill the E55.

Ready for $12-$15/gallon?

http://www.businessandmedia.org/arti...521145247.aspx
Old 05-23-2008 | 08:08 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
BUSH, A "National disaster"

Originally Posted by thebenzbar
I agree ProV1. Premium unleaded is shooting way up now... even diesel prices are getting outrageous. What's Bush doing about this crisis?? nada...nil Sad to say but I miss those <$3 per gallon days now!
thebenzbar: Don't get me wrong, I'm a staunch Republican! But this clown has singlehandely destroyed the republican party, the economy, and outsourced our future! What A friggin disaster this bozo is!!!

$5.00 a gallon gas is not good for the economy! You'd think since he comes from a wealthy oil family he'd at least understand what's going on.
Old 05-23-2008 | 08:21 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking new Commander in Chief?

Originally Posted by deaguero
thebenzbar: Don't get me wrong, I'm a staunch Republican! But this clown has singlehandely destroyed the republican party, the economy, and outsourced our future! What A friggin disaster this bozo is!!!

$5.00 a gallon gas is not good for the economy! You'd think since he comes from a wealthy oil family he'd at least understand what's going on.
Yeah: and guess who the next "Commander in Chief" is going to be????

Any guesses???? Could his initials be BO and I don't mean body odor!
Old 05-25-2008 | 11:46 PM
JT3

05 Nissan 350z and 03 Land Rover Discovery
Starbucks and McDonalds should join forces and sell gas....

Nobody can provide a valid explanation other than increased demand and the rest of the world has been paying high rates.
Old 05-26-2008 | 03:00 AM

2003 e55
i dont get this guy.. i mean... seems like his trying to help the economy.. giving us more tax returns to help out the economy, yet he doesnt realize if he just lower the gas prices, everyone and their moms would be happy.. moving back to china would be a good idea since i can exchange my u.s dollars for yen and have 6-7 times more of that money and get so much more for my u.s dollars
Old 05-26-2008 | 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

bone stock E55 AMG
china should make replica premium gas fast!
they made replica eggs so it's definitely possible...
Old 05-26-2008 | 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Political and environmental issues causing the higher gas prices aside.....

I consider myself VERY fortunate that I have some really fantastic cars to drive around in given that driving is becoming very expensive. Bottom line, I am getting my money out of the gas that goes into the car! I personally use it more wisely and when I need to do a quick extended commute I usually take my Honda S2000 as it is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage.

Where it is starting to hurt is pulling the race car with the hauler and driving the truck around on parts/equipment runs. Are gas costs are painful there but once again, we are very fortunate to be able to do it so I have little complain about.

Something very odd to think about, our race fuel was $6/gallon last year, it is now only $6.25 even at the current gas rate. This is for a petroleum based high octane race fuel making it even more puzzling. At this rate, I will be putting our spec race fuel in the E55 as it will only be .75 a gallon more expensive!!!! Sadly, I'm sure it will go up to.

As to less traffic, I haven't noticed any difference in Denver other than a few more scooters on the road. If anything, there is almost more traffic and idiots. My favorite are people turning off their cars at stop lights (I saw an S4 owner doing this the other day and couldn't help but laugh).
Old 05-27-2008 | 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by deaguero

Bush has:
1. Hurt the Republican Party by supporting social initiatives such as amnesty for illegals.
2. He comes off horrible on TV. He is no orator, except when he gets pissed off.
3. Could do more to firm the dollar.
4. Bought into the global warming insanity.
Congress has:
1. Prevented drilling of our natural resources
2. Hurt the economy through ethanol initiative (higher gas and food prices)
3. Spends money on crap we don't need.
4. Literally threatened the oil CEOs with socializing the gas industry in the US!
McCain will (and I will vote for him with one hand and hold my nose with the other):
1. Not create disaster in Iraq. You want freedom? Look at how many people die per year so you can freely drive.. about 44K.
2. Socialized gov't programs (arrrgh.. people want something for nothing, but that is not true).
3. Serve only one term.
OB might:
1. Literally make it illegal for us to drive the cars we own.
2. Gov't control of your thrmometer in your house.
3. Gov't control of what you eat
4. Try to remove freedoms offered in the constitution
5. Not be who he claims to be at all since he has claimed alliances with so many and then distanced himself such as: his grandmother, his pastor.
6. Won't tell us what he considers to be a "typical white person" other than his grandmother is one.
7. Destroy the country

Last edited by Jon2007E63P30; 05-27-2008 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2008 | 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MJ50
china should make replica premium gas fast!
they made replica eggs so it's definitely possible...
The money made in converting oil to fuels is small. The real money is in the oil. But the investment is HUGE.

The only advantage China has is that they do not have the US congress in their way preventing the building of new oil refineries. Far more efficienct ones I might add.
Old 05-27-2008 | 07:00 AM

Turbonetics G35
I think it will still be some time before you see high-end cars getting good mpg, as long as people continue to buy 6.2 liter V8's they will continue to produce them.

The best thing to do it have a few nice gas guzzlers, but then also have a 4cyl or a hybrid as a daily driver.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: wow, gas is heading for $5+/gal.. this cant be good