W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

CPO WTF 411 E55 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2008 | 11:26 PM

2008 GTI
CPO WTF 411 E55 911

haha

OK so I'm posting this here as I'm in the market for an 03-05 E55. I've had my share of small cars (335i, Z06s, etc).

Where I continue to get VERY lost is the CPO vs aftermarket warranty vs a TRUE bumper to bumper. I've read the CPO isn't a bumper to bumper and only covers certain areas of a car repair (eg. does not include the cost of diagnostics).

Please tell me what I need to look for in a car to ensure it will qualify for whatever turns out to to be the better warranty (CPO vs aftermarket warranty).

At the present I think my budget (as small as it is) will have me in the 36-40 range which will allow me into a nice 2004 and MAYBE a 2005.

My main concern is that the car is eligible for the better of warranties available.

So two questions:

What is the best warranty to have/purchase/demand?

What are the requirements for each warranty (ie. in service date of the car, mileage year).

I found a clean one owner 04' E55 in town but it has 102,000 miles on it. Priced very attractively but would I have any hope, a chance in hell maybe, of getting it to be covered under a warranty of some sort?

Thanks all!
Old 05-28-2008 | 11:42 PM

2008 GTI
Here is the data on the one car I did locate and drove and ....well LOVE!!!!!!

FACTS- Car is a 2004 E55 Tectite Grey Exterior Charcoal Nappa Leather
Mileage: 43,486
Transmission: Automatic
VIN: WDBUF76J64A556269

Carfax:

09/26/2007 35,763 Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Dealer Offered for sale as a Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle

The car is at a BMW dealer who says the best they might be able to do is put me in contact with the previous owner, but nothing about the warranty.

How can I find out if the previous owner purchased an extended warranty and what would I need to do to make sure it shows up in my name if I buy the car?
Old 05-29-2008 | 12:15 AM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
CPO is only valid for a car purchased from an MB dealer or a private seller who bought the car CPO from a MB dealer.

So if the car had a CPO for the previous owner, it will not be transferrable if you buy the car from a BMW dealer. CPO is only transferrable from a private seller.

CPO extends the mfg warranty by one year and mileage to 100k. The warranty is *almost* as good as the factory, the only difference being you have to pay for the diag charge if the cause is not a warrantable item. The good news is almost everything is covered. The MB dealers will also offer to extent the CPO warranty coverage for up to three years.

Sounds like your only option is to buy an aftermarket warranty.
Old 05-29-2008 | 07:14 AM

2008 GTI
Originally Posted by velvet fog
CPO is only valid for a car purchased from an MB dealer or a private seller who bought the car CPO from a MB dealer.

So if the car had a CPO for the previous owner, it will not be transferrable if you buy the car from a BMW dealer. CPO is only transferrable from a private seller.

CPO extends the mfg warranty by one year and mileage to 100k. The warranty is *almost* as good as the factory, the only difference being you have to pay for the diag charge if the cause is not a warrantable item. The good news is almost everything is covered. The MB dealers will also offer to extent the CPO warranty coverage for up to three years.

Thanks for the advice but I recall someone saying there is a way to have you name put in the national system under the CPO coverage.
Old 05-29-2008 | 09:57 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by valdeztke
Thanks for the advice but I recall someone saying there is a way to have you name put in the national system under the CPO coverage.
You better make 110% sure that the BMW dealer never actually recorded the title transfer from the previous owner to their corporation, if you want to try side-stepping it. If they didn't, then you might be able to just have them fill in your name on the title and file the transfer that way, which would wind up looking on paper like you bought it directly from the previous owner. That's the only way it would work, though, and if the BMW dealer already recorded the transfer (which is 99% likely, since they probably paid for it with their floorplan revolver), then you are screwed.

The CPO's are only transferrable from private individual to private individual. The only dealer they will allow to break the chain is an authorized MB dealer, a transfer through a BMW dealer would void the warranty.
Old 05-29-2008 | 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by velvet fog

CPO warranty is transferable when a car is sold from a private party to a private party. When the vehicle hits a MB or dealership or used car lot for a second time it loses the warranty (IF the car is shown in the books as in the dealer inventory).

The warranty has limitations and may not cover items like interior squeaks, leather seats, stereo equipment etc. There are several versions of cpo and extended warranties that MB has sold over the years. The most comprehensive warranty extension is the one that was sold between 2004 and 2006 and which was available to vehicle owners during the first year of ownership. Since then the programs have changed and what is covered has gone down. The latest CPO is getting better but you should request a copy of the warranty coverage list for the car from MB given the type of warranty it has.

Good luck
Old 05-29-2008 | 11:05 AM

2008 GTI
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
CPO warranty is transferable when a car is sold from a private party to a private party. When the vehicle hits a MB or dealership or used car lot for a second time it loses the warranty (IF the car is shown in the books as in the dealer inventory).

The warranty has limitations and may not cover items like interior squeaks, leather seats, stereo equipment etc. There are several versions of cpo and extended warranties that MB has sold over the years. The most comprehensive warranty extension is the one that was sold between 2004 and 2006 and which was available to vehicle owners during the first year of ownership. Since then the programs have changed and what is covered has gone down. The latest CPO is getting better but you should request a copy of the warranty coverage list for the car from MB given the type of warranty it has.

Good luck
Thanks for the information. I've heard good things about aftermarket warranties but I've also heard horror stories.

Any chance I'd be able to find an aftermarket warranty for a car that is past 100,000?
Old 05-29-2008 | 11:39 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by valdeztke
Thanks for the information. I've heard good things about aftermarket warranties but I've also heard horror stories.

Any chance I'd be able to find an aftermarket warranty for a car that is past 100,000?
Zero chance on a 100k+ mile car.

As to aftermarket generally, I have heard nothing but good things about Daimler-Chrysler Service Contracts. That is as close to a real warranty as you will get with the aftermarket stuff, and their prices weren't bad at all.

I went through this same process when I was about to buy an E55, and ended up deciding that the best thing to do was find an '03/'04 with low enough mileage and a recent enough in-service date to buy the warranty through Mike at Chrysler Service Contracts. It was virtually the same as the MB CPO program, and actually better in some respects.

From what I found, the dealers price CPO cars ridiculously high, and for no good reason. I actually point-blank asked one sales guy what it costs to certify a car under that program, and he was honest enough to tell me. It doesn't cost them much at all. I don't remember the exact figures, but it was something like $700 or a grand, plus a set of new tires, and maybe new brake pads if they're under a certain wear point. That's all it costs them.

So then they turn around and slap $2k or less into the car, and charge an extra $10k+ for it. They also make a kickback on selling you the additional 24-month extension for $3885. So it's a borderline scam if you ask me...especially because you could probably just cover all the repairs during your ownership period yourself, for the $8k premium most of them are asking for a CPO vs. non-CPO car.

I was shopping back in mid-2007, and I ended up changing my mind because, looking at prices, I just kept getting the sensation that I was about to catch a falling knife. I was right. You are in a good position now, though, because now you can get a nice low-mile 55 for low to mid 30s, and even high 20s if you are willing to consider '03s.

Last edited by CWW; 05-29-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-29-2008 | 11:52 AM

2008 GTI
Originally Posted by CWW
Zero chance on a 100k+ mile car.

As to aftermarket generally, I have heard nothing but good things about Daimler-Chrysler Service Contracts. That is as close to a real warranty as you will get with the aftermarket stuff, and their prices weren't bad at all.

I went through this same process when I was about to buy an E55, and ended up deciding that the best thing to do was find an '03/'04 with low enough mileage and a recent enough in-service date to buy the warranty through Mike at Chrysler Service Contracts. It was virtually the same as the MB CPO program, and actually better in some respects.

From what I found, the dealers price CPO cars ridiculously high, and for no good reason. I actually point-blank asked one sales guy what it costs to certify a car under that program, and he was honest enough to tell me. It doesn't cost them much at all. I don't remember the exact figures, but it was something like $700 or a grand, plus a set of new tires, and maybe new brake pads if they're under a certain wear point. That's all it costs them.

So then they turn around and slap $2k or less into the car, and charge an extra $10k+ for it. They also make a kickback on selling you the additional 24-month extension for $3885. So it's a borderline scam if you ask me...especially because you could probably just cover all the repairs during your ownership period yourself, for the $8k premium most of them are asking for a CPO vs. non-CPO car.

I was shopping back in mid-2007, and I ended up changing my mind because, looking at prices, I just kept getting the sensation that I was about to catch a falling knife. I was right. You are in a good position now, though, because now you can get a nice low-mile 55 for low to mid 30s, and even high 20s if you are willing to consider '03s.

CWW - care to take this to email? I have a few questions for you.

PS - A tremndous thanks for your insight!

juan.barnett at gmail.com
Old 05-29-2008 | 12:50 PM

'08 E63 - P 30, 66GT 350 (sold)
Contact info for Mike at Chrysler Service Contracts

Looking at buying a one owner lease return 2005 E55 from an independant dealer with 45K on it so looking for a warranty if I move forward. Any idea what these cost and how long I can get coverage for? Thanks!
Old 05-29-2008 | 12:56 PM

2008 GTI
Originally Posted by VinceB
Looking at buying a one owner lease return 2005 E55 from an independant dealer with 45K on it so looking for a warranty if I move forward. Any idea what these cost and how long I can get coverage for? Thanks!
Everyone seems to like to deal with Mike at Chrysler Service Contracts. No idea how to reach him.