Sponsored by:

the 55 is a bit cloudy!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2105 S63 Full Carbon - 2018 GTR
the 55 is a bit cloudy!!

Need some insight here guys- I am taking the Merc to a reputable body shop to have the grill painted black and while I am there, I am thiking of having the car wet-sanded and polished out as the black is starting to have a lot of water marks and is not as deep as it used to be. Has anyone had experience in getting their black car wet-sanded and is there anything to watch out for?

Thanks for the input fellas.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 e55
Originally Posted by BigApe
Need some insight here guys- I am taking the Merc to a reputable body shop to have the grill painted black and while I am there, I am thiking of having the car wet-sanded and polished out as the black is starting to have a lot of water marks and is not as deep as it used to be. Has anyone had experience in getting their black car wet-sanded and is there anything to watch out for?

Thanks for the input fellas.
Sorry for the stupid question but what is wet sanding?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Almost a Member!

E55 or CL600, if I could make up my mind
Check out the detailing section ?
I get my "inspirations" here: http://www.showcardetailing.com/foru...ead.php?t=1137
Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
you can get great results from a serious detail and save some of your clear coat as well. Sanding will help with the deep scratches and anything thats seriously etched but your car will look nearly new with a solid 10 hr detail by a skilled professional.

Check around some people likely know who to contact in your area.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 PM

E550
I would not wet sand the car unless it is in SERIOUS need. I actually did wet sand some scratches out of my 03 rover....yea it worked, but it took a ton of buffing to get back the shine. I would have been better off using 3 steps of cutting polish to get them out.

I would take a few pictures and post the question on the detailing section…those guys are the bomb for advice, they really know their stuff.

I would pass unless you personally know the people at the body shop, it sounds like they probably recommended the process.

Kevin
Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by ghost1001
I would not wet sand the car unless it is in SERIOUS need. I actually did wet sand some scratches out of my 03 rover....yea it worked, but it took a ton of buffing to get back the shine. I would have been better off using 3 steps of cutting polish to get them out.

I would take a few pictures and post the question on the detailing section…those guys are the bomb for advice, they really know their stuff.

I would pass unless you personally know the people at the body shop, it sounds like they probably recommended the process.

Kevin
+1000000!!! DO NOT wet sand the car unless absolutely necessary. Unless it's really trashed, it shouldn't need anything beyond a clay bar.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:44 PM

2003-E55 2011-C63 2016-C63S
Originally Posted by SAP_Pete
Check out the detailing section ?
I get my "inspirations" here: http://www.showcardetailing.com/foru...ead.php?t=1137
Informative link. Amazing results. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
My Black is so bad, I need a serious detail.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
you can get great results from a serious detail and save some of your clear coat as well. Sanding will help with the deep scratches and anything thats seriously etched but your car will look nearly new with a solid 10 hr detail by a skilled professional.

Check around some people likely know who to contact in your area.
Do black cars (PC 040c) have clear coat?

One of the few good things about black is that you can paint pieces, hood, bumpers, trunk off the car. And they will match perfectly, if you include all the OEM flaws in the paint job.

I would sand a black car with no fear, but never attempt a metal-flake color in a million years.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I trust these guys and have seen their work on other cars. Although... now that I think about it, WS might be a little overkill. I dont think the car is in bad of shape that I think it is. I will take the car down there and et their professional opinion as to the polish first. Thanks for the input
Old 06-06-2008, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Do black cars (PC 040c) have clear coat?

One of the few good things about black is that you can paint pieces, hood, bumpers, trunk off the car. And they will match perfectly, if you include all the OEM flaws in the paint job.

I would sand a black car with no fear, but never attempt a metal-flake color in a million years.
The C040 paint has a clear coat and the ceramic clear coating at that. Its extremely hard and it makes polishing a bit more difficult if you dont use more aggressive methods to get marks out. And you are correct black is pretty easy to match as long as you polish the rest of the car to match the new paints depth of color. Sliver is the complete inverse. Its almost impossible to get the metal flake in the paint to stand up correctly and match the factory magnetic charged paint process.

Wet sanding is only needed for real scratches and even then I would learn to live with a mark thats been reduced with polishing rather that take all that clear coat off with sanding.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E55 Techtite Grey
Why don't you just bring it to an exotic car dealership and have them hi speed polish it. My friend works at Team Motorsports what specializes in Exotic vehicles and he does wonders. It will probably cost around 300 for a pro to do it but after it is done it will look brand new.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by NSX2NV
Why don't you just bring it to an exotic car dealership and have them hi speed polish it. My friend works at Team Motorsports what specializes in Exotic vehicles and he does wonders. It will probably cost around 300 for a pro to do it but after it is done it will look brand new.
Most 'exotic' dealerships in the Seattle area farm their detail work out to a limited number of detailers who may have one person there worth while and then a bunch of unskilled $10/hr laborers who end up doing things to the car that drives me nuts A little bitter huh?

Is your buddy here in the Seattle area? Please post or PM me his info and I will check it out. Thanks