My Custom Stealth Valentine One Radar Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Rock
You know.......... I was thinking it would be funny if they didn't put a detector in at all but just made your mirror arrows flash periodically.
LOL don't think I haven't thought of that. Figure out a way to just have it beep and flash everynow and then!

I'm using a Lidatek LE-30. I know the company stopped production for a while; don't know if they're back. It has saved me many times but there are other good ones out there. Laser Interceptor is supposed to be good and one other whose name escapes me.

It's a pretty simple install I think. The transponder is mounted in my front grill. They should be able to have it set up just like mine where the mirror will light/sound.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11/E63-Former car: '05 RT4 E55, Sprintbooster, Phenolic Spacers, RT IC /Secondary HE & BMC Filters
nice, Dave. looks fantastic. humble of you to do the detector verus outrunning them in that beast. lol.

very clean.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by jimmydagreek
Wow, that looks really nice! I have a question though, from what I've read and understand, the V1 really works the best when mounted high in the car to pick up hits over hills and around corners. Also, won't the fabric concealing it hinder is detection capabilities???
I was going to say and ask the same exact thing!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
I finally took some pics of my similar setup in my W210. If anyone is interested here is a link. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/256359-v1-mirror-i-finally-took-some-pictures.html
Old 08-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by suicidal4life
I finally took some pics of my similar setup in my W210. If anyone is interested here is a link. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=256359
Let me know what you think of the sensitivity of the unit with this type of setup. I swear I have been hit directly with Laser on two different occasions and the unit never went off. I'm starting to think that the V1 receiver should be mounted high in the window and have no fabric covering over it.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E430
Originally Posted by Rock
Let me know what you think of the sensitivity of the unit with this type of setup. I swear I have been hit directly with Laser on two different occasions and the unit never went off. I'm starting to think that the V1 receiver should be mounted high in the window and have no fabric covering over it.
No way its gonna pick up laser mounted like this. And even if you do detect laser it is pretty deadly. You really need a jammer for that. I have a laser interceptor. Here is the recent GOL jammer test results. Almost 100% jam to gun (disregard the traffic patrol guns as they are euro only)

http://www.guysoflidar.com/july-2008...mmer-test.html

I had my first Radar save (Ka band) since I stealth mounted the V1 the other day. I figure it was around 1.4 miles or so from the initial warning and it was also over a slight hill. There are local radar drones (speed signs) that I can pick up from well over a mile. I haven't noticed too much drop in radar sensitivity from when I had the V1 windshield mounted. I'm sure there is some loss in performance but it still seems adequate. The steath V1 is not for people obsessed with total range and performance but for me I think the benefits of the hidden unit outweigh the potential decline in performance.

edit:
Rock. If you are not too familiar with the differences between Radar and Lidar (laser) and the different methods needed to protect against each threat you may want to spend a little time over at radardetector.net

Last edited by suicidal4life; 08-12-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Thanks for the reply.

It's funny but I was told that the unit would not lose laser sensitivity mounted like this.

I know I need to add a laser jammer. If I had to do it again, I think I would have gone with the new passport 9500ci.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E430
I don't know exactly what kind of fabric is covering your V1. In my case it's leather so virtually no light is going to get thru. Your fabric looks a bit more porous. There is a video where a V1 can still pick up Lidar when it is sitting under a towel but the guy is shooting it indoors. I guess enough light can get thru from short range to still set it off. Since Lidar is light based it needs pretty much a direct path to the V1 unit (yes there can be scatter) and opaque objects will block it. Also Lidar is a pretty small beam. Radar on the other hand can go right thru fabric, plastic, leather, etc and is a much wider beam that bounces around. Radar probably loses some strength as it passes thru these types of objects but nowhere near as bad as they affect Lidar.

Passport is a good Radar option but I still love my arrows. But when it comes to Laser jamming it appears Laser Interceptor is pretty much untouchable. I wouldn't trust the Passport to protect me but thats just my opinion.

Last edited by suicidal4life; 08-12-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Looks great Rock!
hey dude on a side note, do you have a bigger pic on the e55 you have posted?
i want it for a background as a fellow amg lover...
thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Originally Posted by ryback
hey dude on a side note, do you have a bigger pic on the e55 you have posted?
i want it for a background as a fellow amg lover...
thanks
No need to bring back a 3 year old topic...

Why not just PM AMGFAN directly or search for his picture thread?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:25 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
No need to bring back a 3 year old topic...

Why not just PM AMGFAN directly or search for his picture thread?
hey sorry but is it a forum no-no to comment on really old threads?
im a bit of noob.
sorry in advance.
also how to i search for his picture thread....?