Other people driving your car unsupervised

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Other people driving your car unsupervised

Uh, is it just me, or do you hate it when people drive your car without you in it. For example, I drop it off at the dealer and find 15 miles on it. I ask why the 15 miles and they said the tech drove it to make sure the work they did on the car is ok. That just bugs the hell out of me!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'81 Mondial 8
Originally Posted by str8ridin
Uh, is it just me, or do you hate it when people drive your car without you in it. For example, I drop it off at the dealer and find 15 miles on it. I ask why the 15 miles and they said the tech drove it to make sure the work they did on the car is ok. That just bugs the hell out of me!

15 miles seems excessive to me; what work were they 'verifying'? Sounds like someone probably had a good time
Old 06-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
It sounds like they were "verifying" your tires' adhesion with the street.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by str8ridin
I went crazy a few years ago at the local Audi dealer (Checkered Flag) because after they had my car for a month to fix some front end rod issues it ended up with over 300 miles on it. During that month I was called 5 times saying it was fixed yet a quick drive around the parking lot with the service advisor each time showed both of us it wasn't. That's actually the reason I moved from Audi (had 5) to Mercedes (E63 is #2).
Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 AM

A few years back I had a old BMW 535i.

In Michigan there was only 1 good mecahnic in the area that could actually troubleshoot instead of throwing parts at it.

If i left the car with half a tank and it had major work done, (which was quite often) it would be left with nothing. The lights were burnt out in the area that shows the mileage so i could never track it.

I did not say anything b/c his prices were good and i was young and stupid!

Now I cringe when they drive my E55 away.

I also hate how they have to back all these cars in. They are not paying attention with these bigger cars!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 AM

A few years back I had a old BMW 535i.

In Michigan there was only 1 good mecahnic in the area that could actually troubleshoot instead of throwing parts at it.

If i left the car with half a tank and it had major work done, (which was quite often) it would be left with nothing. The lights were burnt out in the area that shows the mileage so i could never track it.

I did not say anything b/c his prices were good and i was young and stupid!

Now I cringe when they drive my E55 away.

I also hate how they have to back all these cars in. They are not paying attention with these bigger cars!
Old 06-15-2008, 09:26 AM

When you drop your car off at the dealership take a small post it note and write the mileage on it and stick it to the dash cluster so it cant be missed. If you are really worried then subtract a few miles when you write it down this way it seems like someone else at the dealership has put a few on already. Its a polite way of saying to anyone test driving or moving the car or doing whatever they should or shouldnt be doing that "hey I know how many miles where on my car when I dropped it off" and most people will think twice about joyriding or whatever. I also see all these municipalities are installing trackable gps devices in their vehicles so they can see where town employees go during they day. I think these gadgets are only around 300 bucks and you can track where your vehicle went on-line I wonder what the service manager would say to that when you tell him there is 15 miles on your car and you can show him a map of exactly where the tech or driver took your car. Even some regular dashboard gps's can be set to keep track of your route.
Will
Old 06-15-2008, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Originally Posted by Suprfknman
When you drop your car off at the dealership take a small post it note and write the mileage on it and stick it to the dash cluster so it cant be missed. If you are really worried then subtract a few miles when you write it down this way it seems like someone else at the dealership has put a few on already. Its a polite way of saying to anyone test driving or moving the car or doing whatever they should or shouldnt be doing that "hey I know how many miles where on my car when I dropped it off" and most people will think twice about joyriding or whatever. I also see all these municipalities are installing trackable gps devices in their vehicles so they can see where town employees go during they day. I think these gadgets are only around 300 bucks and you can track where your vehicle went on-line I wonder what the service manager would say to that when you tell him there is 15 miles on your car and you can show him a map of exactly where the tech or driver took your car. Even some regular dashboard gps's can be set to keep track of your route.
Will

Huh, an inboard camera pointing to the rpm gauge is more like it. I'd love to replay that in front of the service manager and ask them if this was necessary and get a few free tanks of gas, new set of rear tires or at least some oil changes.

Oh, and ChicagoX and Raven-CTS-V - you 'aint making me feel better!! lol
Old 06-15-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
germans
Originally Posted by Suprfknman
When you drop your car off at the dealership take a small post it note and write the mileage on it and stick it to the dash cluster so it cant be missed. If you are really worried then subtract a few miles when you write it down this way it seems like someone else at the dealership has put a few on already.
never thought of that...great idea.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
germans
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
It sounds like they were "verifying" your tires' adhesion with the street.
you just know the kids get in there and stomp on the gas....
Old 06-16-2008, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
15 miles is waaayy too much. shouldn't even be any more than 5. i HATE when people drive my car w/out me in it. especially valets...