Sponsored by:

Check your VRP Pulleys, Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
If the crank bolt would have been loose or not torqued to spec, the pulley would be damaged in more than one area.
Correct, only if the bolt came off completely. In the begining the load side of the pulley, just like the pictures shown, will start to deform.

Once again, the keyway does bear any load from the pulley. It's function is to locate it, not to support the crank pulley.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I did not shread my belt like Wayne did either, mine was pretty much EXACTLY what these other 3 people have said - a slight wobble - but none of them have actually removed the pulley to inspect it. I really would like to see pictures of these 3 gentleman's pulleys before we conclude that every single OTHER VRP pulley in the field is wobble free and has not had this same issue. From what I can see we have 3 other people in this thread who if they were to see my car when it had the VRP pulley would have said "Hey, my pulley does the exact same thing!"
-m
Marcus, my pulley has been on and off a number of times (at least 4 that I can remember) and was even looked at by MB not long ago. If your pulley really runs like mine, then I would question WHY you would want to swap it out. Like I said in previous posts, my VRP pulley runs IDENTICAL to OEM ones running n the same lot. As enthusists, we may just be more **** about certain things and I definitely am with my pulley since I have already seen what a bad install can do.

I would be happy to offer up my car and pulley for any testing to be done. In fact, I am scheduled to go see Vadim tomorrow (SURPRISE!!), so if we prefer that I take it to a third party for inspection I am down. There are a number of MB shops between here and there. We can have a tech take mine off and inspect it. Who is paying for the time?
Old 07-02-2008, 12:03 AM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
What's it cost to R&R a pulley ?? I've been pretty vocal about my opinion on the matter and would be willing to split the costs with others IF there is some sort of identifiable and clear reason, purpose and result for pulling yours - however, I'm not sure that it'll prove much in determining the matter at hand. Regardless, if you guys are game so am I. *****, I just want to know what the truth is - if inspecting yours gets us one step closer, then I say go for it.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by LZH
What's it cost to R&R a pulley ?? I've been pretty vocal about my opinion on the matter and would be willing to split the costs with others IF there is some sort of identifiable and clear reason, purpose and result for pulling yours - however, I'm not sure that it'll prove much in determining the matter at hand. Regardless, if you guys are game so am I. *****, I just want to know what the truth is - if inspecting yours gets us one step closer, then I say go for it.
The cost is a couple hundred bucks max for a tech to take it off inspect, take pics of the pulley, etc. He will also be able to tell you if the "wobble" that it has is like an OEM one or not.

Lets be clear about one point. I do not expect my VRP pulley to run MORE reliably than an OEM one, so I won't get into arguments over if OEM ones sould wobble. The fact remains that after all of these years MB has only seen a few damaged pulleys. Also, keep in mind that some of the warranty work has been due to AFTERMARKET pulleys causing engine damage and the remainder are ones that had work done at the service departments.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by ScottCLS55
Yep, a loose bolt will destroy the key and render it useless. I know from experience. Once it gets a litle loose the pulley tries to spin on the crank and its game over for the crank key. So I dont think it was install error, you either get it right or wipe it out, I don't think there is any inbetween.

BTW, the E55 I am talking about has been running for 2-3 month with no crank key and a new bolt Torqued to hell.. So these can be run with no crank key. It wobbles a little but has not thrown a belt or squeeked.
I disagree with that assumption. When my motor was killed by Creative with a RennTech pulley (that's for the RT SLK), the true damage didn't happen until i was about 3 - blocks away from creative. I noticed a jerk at the time that I had never felt before, but that was it. The next morning, i had some hard runs and then noticed the pulley coming off (bolt was already gone). In the case of these cars, I don't know what kind of load they were put under before having the pulleys removed but keep in mind that the SC clutch doesn't even engage at idle.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Wayne,

I'm begging you.. Please stop. We have both been on this board for a long time. Although we have never interacted with eachother in a business transaction before, have you ever witnessed me treating someone unfairly in all the time I've been on this forum?

Do you TRULY feel that I mistreated you in some way? Or that I was unfair?

Read what you are posting about me... Did I say this in the context you wrote it and in the way people will interpret it?

Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Later, VRP tells me to "go get my money from LET" AFTER he had promised me a refund for a faulty pulley.
I spoke to you on Monday morning for nearly 2hrs on the phone discussing this issue. I told you that I would make sure that you received your refund and since you waited 3 weeks and LET didnt give you your money back I would make sure you got it. I was going to send it to you directly and deal with LET & CPT on my own time...

2hrs went by and then it hit me that I sold LET the pulley for a wholesale price and they sold it to you at a retail price. In order to make this all work on the books and keep everything orderly, I said to give the pulley back to LET and get your refund from them since you purchased it from them. Once I know you've gotten your money back from LET I will send LET their money this way you are protected and I make sure you are made whole.

I said the same thing to Marcus when I was emailing.. I asked Marcus if he was made whole and he said "CPT took care of me.. I got my money back".

I expected the same thing would happen for you from LET.

CPT to this day has not called me or emailed me asking for their money back or bothered me about Marcus' pulley yet they gave him his money back right away and got him squared away.

[Al: I applaud you and your shop for taking care of Marcus. ]

I spoke to Erick on the phone and told him to give you your money back and I told him I gave him my word that I would send him a refund for his purchase this way you were taken care of.. I told Erick I didnt want you to be inconvenienced any further.

I suspect that Erick was worried if he refunded you first that I might not give him his money back. I am not that type of person. I gave him my word and that is what I did. That is why I went so far as to send him the money before I even got back the pulley; ALL FOR YOU. I just wanted you to be past this bad experience and start enjoying your car.

I felt so bad that you waited that long and I even told you on the phone I was shocked that it went 3 weeks before you decided to call me directly.

Once I hung up with Erick, I immediately called you and said it was all taken care of. LET will give you a refund and I would give LET the refund. NOTHING HAPPENED.. Erick was waiting for me to send him his money FIRST BEFORE he sent you your money.

At that point, it was a stale mate. LET would not give you anything until I first gave them their refund. In order to help you and get you your money I was forced to send LET their money FIRST.

So, just because I asked you to have LET physically give your money instead of me sending it to you directly, this is me going back on my word and double-talking?

Remember folks, this didn't happen over the course of a weekend. My car was undrivable for weeks from VRPs delay.
Why do you keep saying VRP delays? I've said this so many times:

Erick called Vadim. Vadim asked for X, Y, Z. Vadim waited. Nothing came. How is this VRP delays??? We didn't do anything wrong. It's not like you were brushed off, or LET was brushed off...

I wasn't looking for a refund until I had been stonewalled for so long.
Who was stonewalling you? Did we make up excuses and push you back time and again? NO. We always responded and I tried to do everything I could to help you.

If you don't believe that then I am sorry.

I am not going to post anything further because to be honest, I just don't know what to say to be any more clear on where we stood through all of this.

I regret that this happened to you guys but I wish you would see that neither Vadim nor I ever intentionally did anything to hurt your situation.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Question

OK, I must be a real slow and I am having a hard time getting over the fact that my stock pulley has the exact same notch as Chicago's. What am I missing? How could that then be install? Please note: I am very happy with my VRP install, I just want to understand the installation argument. Is it only coming from the mark in the groove, or is there something else that I have totally missed?
Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The notch in the snout of the pulley is called the KEYWAY. If you look at the first picture I posted in this thread, you will see what a "Virgin, undamaged" Keyway looks like. It is a constant width groove.

A damaged keyway as shown in the other pictures is the dents/notches that make the keyway uneven in shape.

Can you take a pic of your stock pulley where the keyway is and post it. That might be better to get an idea of what you are describing.

Originally Posted by I Like Soup
OK, I must be a real slow and I am having a hard time getting over the fact that my stock pulley has the exact same notch as Chicago's. What am I missing? How could that then be install? Please note: I am very happy with my VRP install, I just want to understand the installation argument. Is it only coming from the mark in the groove, or is there something else that I have totally missed?
Old 07-02-2008, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by vrus
Why do you keep saying VRP delays? I've said this so many times:

Erick called Vadim. Vadim asked for X, Y, Z. Vadim waited. Nothing came. How is this VRP delays??? We didn't do anything wrong. It's not like you were brushed off, or LET was brushed off...
Victor, I don't doubt your sincerity in the handling of this unfortunate matter and I think LET has some owning up to do from their side in regards to your post. My only comment on the above quote would be,...a little follow up perhaps when nothing was heard?

Hell, I still trust ya enough to make the drive back to Costa Mesa...I just have to dig up some more fun money!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
The notch in the snout of the pulley is called the KEYWAY. If you look at the first picture I posted in this thread, you will see what a "Virgin, undamaged" Keyway looks like. It is a constant width groove.

A damaged keyway as shown in the other pictures is the dents/notches that make the keyway uneven in shape.

Can you take a pic of your stock pulley where the keyway is and post it. That might be better to get an idea of what you are describing.
I took a picture of it and will email it to you (since I don't have a picture site or anything) when I get back home on Thursday (I'm in Albuquerque).
Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
yeah keep making my point

Originally Posted by jangy
When my motor was killed by Creative with a RennTech pulley (that's for the RT SLK)
From the INSTALL correct?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
2hrs went by and then it hit me that I sold LET the pulley for a wholesale price and they sold it to you at a retail price. In order to make this all work on the books and keep everything orderly, I said to give the pulley back to LET and get your refund from them since you purchased it from them.
You asked me exactly how much I paid. It was the same price that LET paid, according to the invoice. And this dragged on from Thursday to Monday; should I post the e-mails?

I was waiting for tech support initially, not a refund. I WANTED the VRP pulley to work on my car. No tech support made me wary - then I found out why...you guys were mad at LET, and I was caught in the middle. Why don't you ask Vadim how long it took to reply to the torque spec request?

You said that you hadn't been made aware of any issues with any pulleys prior to our telephone conversation.

Let me reiterate that it was my choice to seek a refund from VRP, not LET's choice. Since they were no longer a vendor of VRP's products, I didn't feel it fair that they should be stuck with the defective pulley.

Please note again that I'm not seeking any additional funds from VRP, even though I spent at least another thousand or two trying to find the source of zero power. I'm not looking for the labor to R&R the pulley, nor the monies for the two belts that were destroyed.

The deal is done, as far as I'm concerned. You blame Al, everyone else thinks it's a pulley issue. I guess that's where this will fester.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
A few points:
  • 20 pullies were all made at the same time so they were batched together (trying to rule out a bad batch). 5 of them went to LET, 2 of those went to LET customers and both were installed at CPT in Chicago. The other 3 went to Sunil's customers and my customers. The remaining 15 were sent out to other customers.
  • Outside of this report that Wayne mentioned and the other LET customer car I have never been told about a problem with respect to these pullies throwing belts or having any issues.
  • These pullies have been out on the road since 11/30/2007. To-date no one has had a problem with them other than this reported case.

I will get to the bottom of it. Once I figure out what happened I will deal with the appropriate party. Like always, everything will be shared. Last thing I want is anyone to have a problem with something as critical as a crank pulley.

Of the 5 that went to LET customers, 2 were installed by CPT and have "issues". Where are the other 18 ??? Do they have the same "issues" ???

This is what Vadim and I both said initially and why we asked for the crankshaft bolt to be sent to us. You can measure the length of the bolt to see if it was stretched and that will tell you if the pulley was properly seated against the crank before it was tightened.
Without knowing the above 2 points, this issue will "fester" forever. Too bad really....but I guess if we see other VPR pulleys with issues we will know the truth. Until then, I'm glad I have a 63 motor

Last edited by LZH; 07-02-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by SLK55R
From the INSTALL correct?
Dude, I almost like you!! Your point is made, except you don't know all the details. I yap alot, but i also know what not to bring up. My feelings towards RennTech are extremely mutual. Neither of us has any clue why the other is acting like such a fool.

I get it. i get it. Although circumstances were very different, I still get it. Many of the elders here took me under the arm and explained that modding adds risks and that it was install. At the time, i had never seen a blown E55 motor.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I was waiting for tech support initially, not a refund. I WANTED the VRP pulley to work on my car. No tech support made me wary - then I found out why...you guys were mad at LET, and I was caught in the middle. Why don't you ask Vadim how long it took to reply to the torque spec request?

If you got the pulley at wholesale, how would you not know what LET was up to? The question is were you caught in the middle? You are starting to look shady and you shouldn't. Vadim should never have given any more info to LET after the sabatoge. LET should have been served with infringement papers immediately.

Let me reiterate that it was my choice to seek a refund from VRP, not LET's choice. Since they were no longer a vendor of VRP's products, I didn't feel it fair that they should be stuck with the defective pulley.

That is none of your business. Reiterated or not. You are not LET, or are you? You simply have no legal rights at a refund from them. You can go after damages against them, but thats it.

Please note again that I'm not seeking any additional funds from VRP, even though I spent at least another thousand or two trying to find the source of zero power. I'm not looking for the labor to R&R the pulley, nor the monies for the two belts that were destroyed.

What are you seeking because I don't see people all of a sudden buying LET pulleys and tunes?

The deal is done, as far as I'm concerned. You blame Al, everyone else thinks it's a pulley issue. I guess that's where this will fester.
I think it is pretty clear where the fingers are pointed. ABSOLUTELY nothing objective from the conspiracy camp other than CPT is impervious to error and VRP sucks. No FACTS. No desire to follow up with FACTS. NOTHING. Just hoping the same song and dance becomes a catchy tune. Friggin shameful. It really is. Everybody is a tuner these days....
Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by LZH
Of the 5 that went to LET customers, 2 were installed by CPT and have "issues". Where are the other 18 ??? Do they have the same "issues" ???

Look on the sigs in this room or just do a search. i assume most went to members on this board or a contact away. I have one of the black ones installed by George at VRP California, not to be confused with VRUS VRP which is the company. My car has been running strong, knock on wood and has been a joy!

Without knowing the above 2 points, this issue will "fester" forever. Too bad really....but I guess if we see other VPR pulleys with issues we will know the truth. Until then, I'm glad I have a 63 motor

Let it fester. A bad install shows itself pretty quick....So, will you still be glad when we find out that VRP is legit? The real question is did you read the post? He answered all of your questions already.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350

Why is it fair that VRP issue a refund to you if LET sold you the product? Why does it matter to you that LET would be stuck with a pulley they purchase? You should have gone back to LET and said you want your money back due to a defective pulley. If LET didn't give you your money back then you should have beef with them, and not VRP. And if CPT has done SOOOO many installs wouldn't they already know what the torque specs are and not have to wait for Vadim to answer the questions?

The majority of forum members are siding with VRP. Not sure if EVERYONE thinks its a pulley issue.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
VRP removed LET from its vendor list, so all warranty claims now go to VRP directly. If we can't sell VRP products, we are not going to warranty them either.

On top of all this, LET is the original vendor who sold you the pulley, so if you were so upset about it, and you, LET and CPT were so sure it was a bad pulley, why didnt you just get your refund directly from LET and let them deal with me on their own time??

LET was NOT WILLING TO give you anything back unless I first gave them a refund for their purchase so the only reason you got back what you did was because I forwarded them their refund before I even received anything from you guys.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Gentlemen, I repeat, this is going nowhere. Without the bolt, I seriously doubt there is any way a third party could conclusively say that it's an install or pulley problem. From a statistical standpoint, it's nearly impossible the product suffers from an inherent design flaw. All or nearly all of the installed pulleys would have failed and been damaged, and/or damaged the motors they were installed on right?
So, that leaves us again with the possibility that this particular pulley is flawed, OR, the installation is at fault. Of these 2 remaining possibilities, what is the most likely problem? No finger pointing at anyone, just stating the obvious. I vote to close the thread, this is utterly pointless.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by Fast55
I vote to close the thread, this is utterly pointless.
+10000
Old 07-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
VRP removed LET from its vendor list, so all warranty claims now go to VRP directly. If we can't sell VRP products, we are not going to warranty them either.
This is not a warranty claim. This was a question of a refund. There is no if, you got caught with your hands in the monkey nuts (ala Euroelites) so VRP killed alliances, which includes technical support.
Lets not focus on the $50 that was not refunded to YOU (eventhough the water pulley was kept) or the lapse in communication (since we know it was during a sabotage attempt).

What is your relationship with CPT? I see why you were black balled from VRP products but this thread is about bad install vs defective product, neither of which you should be involved with. Why would CPT so quickly refund Marcus' money and not Wayne's? Why did you refund Wayne's and not CPT?

Most importantly, why did you not refund Wayne's money when this first happened? Yes, before you got caught holding the nuts......
Old 07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
I would like to say LET's customer service should be questioned as they didn't pony up a refund immediately and simply deal with VRP. Or maybe, we are all just so in touch with each other that the lines get blurred.
We would have gladly refunded the money, but VRP has issues with me / LET and has banned us from selling their products.

So, I'm not going to refund any money and then have to fight VRP to get it back.

LET had 2 issues with our water pump pulley that was included with over 40 sets of crank pulleys we sold. We didn't think twice and have issued a recall for those WP pulleys and made replacements that will be going out ASAP.

2 issues with over 40 pulley sets sold isn't bad. We could have sat around and questioned why they failed, but we didn't. We spent thousands of dollars and had new WP pulleys made.

Please don't question our customer service, as that is one example of us bending over backwards for customers.

I like the VRP pulley, which is why we carried it. I would love to know what happened.

LET will be sending the other failed VRP pulley off for a metallurgical test later this week.....at our cost. This is what we did for our own pulleys to ensure our vendor provided us with the correct materials.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Fast55
I vote to close the thread, this is utterly pointless.
Pointless? I disagree. First of all, the topics deserve an open forum. It was started by the member to spread the word, so the word should go on, regardless of direction.

Is it ugly? Yes. But, things have been getting ugly behind the scenes for a few years now. I can talk about it because i am not connected. But, all of these changes have brought together a new mix of established members. It is just these various alliances settling in and threads like this are perfect to show true character.

Pointless? Look at the progress. Just recently, the last of the involved parties posted, so they are all here and beginning to tell more and more of the truth.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:57 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
VRP wanted me to refund money and then deal with them. With LET / VRP not being on the same page anymore, I'm not going to refund my PERSONAL money and then fight Victor for it back, considering he was upset with me.

Wayne did not want a refund right away, he wanted another pulley. I told him that VRP and LET are not partners any longer and he needed to contact them regarding his warranty issue.

I sold the VRP pulley to Wayne personally, he can attest to that. I told him that I wanted to get rid of it and I would sell it to him at my cost. He knew it came from me, not LET.

CPT sold the VRP pulley to Marcus, which they bought from me, because Wayne mentioned to them that I had 2.

I know Al at CPT because of this forum and from other MB owners.

Al has wrenched on my cars and my friends cars for a few years now.

You are right, LET should not be involved in this thread, and I have tried to stay out but our names keep being brought up.

What are you talking about "holding the nuts"?

Originally Posted by jangy
This is not a warranty claim. This was a question of a refund. There is no if, you got caught with your hands in the monkey nuts (ala Euroelites) so VRP killed alliances, which includes technical support.
Lets not focus on the $50 that was not refunded to YOU (eventhough the water pulley was kept) or the lapse in communication (since we know it was during a sabotage attempt).

What is your relationship with CPT? I see why you were black balled from VRP products but this thread is about bad install vs defective product, neither of which you should be involved with. Why would CPT so quickly refund Marcus' money and not Wayne's? Why did you refund Wayne's and not CPT?

Most importantly, why did you not refund Wayne's money when this first happened? Yes, before you got caught holding the nuts......
Old 07-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
We would have gladly refunded the money, but VRP has issues with me / LET and has banned us from selling their products.

You think?

So, I'm not going to refund any money and then have to fight VRP to get it back.

Nice Customer Service. You talk a client out of a pulley and then force them to run off and get your money back.

LET had 2 issues with our water pump pulley that was included with over 40 sets of crank pulleys we sold. We didn't think twice and have issued a recall for those WP pulleys and made replacements that will be going out ASAP.

So, it was a design error, huh? If not, why did the design so suddenly change, increasing manufacturing lag time, cost, etc.? ASAP is such a great relative term. You like the VRP water pump pulley? Come on. It had to be worth $50, no?

2 issues with over 40 pulley sets sold isn't bad. We could have sat around and questioned why they failed, but we didn't. We spent thousands of dollars and had new WP pulleys made.

5% failure rate is extremely bad, especially when it is a design flaw that will end up with 100% failures over time.

I like the VRP pulley, which is why we carried it. I would love to know what happened.

Well, maybe I can help. You tried to go around VRP to get their manufacturer to make a run of the pulleys that were designed for VRP. That is a no-no in your contract. Yes, VRP was not having more made yet because the profits just weren't there. But, you could have had a run mad and paid your dealer cost but chose to be the tuner.

LET will be sending the other failed VRP pulley off for a metallurgical test later this week.....at our cost.

I would hope it is at your cost, since you are simply reverse engineering it.

This is what we did for our own pulleys to ensure our vendor provided us with the correct materials.
Again, fail to answer any of the objective questions, but just throw that blanket. Good luck with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check your VRP Pulleys, Please