Sponsored by:

Jag XF Supercharged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
Jag XF Supercharged

Has anyone driven one? What do you think?

To me it kinda looks like a Chrysler 300

But the inside looks cool

Just seen them on the street, looking to see what others think
Old 07-19-2008, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i liked the first few pictures that appeared on the net but the first time i saw one on the road i kept trying to figure out what kind of buick it was until i got close enough to read the emblem.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:19 AM

Fancy body panels dont add quality Jags are rolling nightmares
Will
Old 07-19-2008, 01:43 AM

2005 E55 AMG, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP
well Jags typically have some of the worst depreciation ever. even worse than AMG. a 4 year old XKR is worth about 25-30 percent of its value when new. even an 04 E55 AMG in decent condition is worth more than that!

ive driven the regular XK sedan, not the R. the interior is nice, tranny very smooth, id say it drives like an E350 or so. love the *** that allows you to select gears, pretty awesome concept. have not driven the XKR though, although i hear its the same, only with 100 more HP. the accleration on the jag was nothing special. smooth though, like an E350 or a bmw 7 series.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:59 AM

C32-sold
XF is a huge let down. Front end looks like an american rental.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:45 AM

I did not mind the styling per se.

Nice to see that Jag is trying.

I am a little fearful of all the electronic gimiks that turn on when the car is started like the raising shift *** and vents that spin open.

So are you SOL when the shifter does not lift up?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:31 AM

2003 E240
The new Jag could have been SO much better, but instead they went with this sort of cheap Toyota Asian designed front end.

The concept looked 100x better, but instead Jag have just shown that they do amply well in making poor decisions.

Concept:

Piece of **** design:

They do make lovely interiors though, it is what the classic British cars are renowned for, as well as their incredibly poor reliability.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 AM

2003 E240
Originally Posted by amginsane
XF is a huge let down. Front end looks like an american rental.
LOL I've read they actually designed it that way because they thought YOU the American consumer liked it more. Apparently though, they are wrong.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Looks better in the flesh than in photos.
Interior is a quantum leap ahead of any Merc product, IMO.
I must say I'm tempted given I dont want an E63 (same car, again) and the C63 is, well, a C class and smaller.
Unfortunately once you've had an E55 nothing feels fast anymore, but 300+Kw should be fine for around town and criusing.

I'm eager to hear about peoples impressions who've driven/own the SV8.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking Hey, Watch it Mikey

Originally Posted by chiromikey
i liked the first few pictures that appeared on the net but the first time i saw one on the road i kept trying to figure out what kind of buick it was until i got close enough to read the emblem.
I picked up a Jag XF (not the supercharged version) when my lease expired on my 335i. The car is great, no problems, great interior, and best of all it gets 26mpg.

I'll post pic's later. How's things in AZ?
Old 07-19-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Scraz51
LOL I've read they actually designed it that way because they thought YOU the American consumer liked it more. Apparently though, they are wrong.
LOL... We suck don't we!
Old 07-19-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by OzE55
Looks better in the flesh than in photos.
Interior is a quantum leap ahead of any Merc product, IMO.
I must say I'm tempted given I dont want an E63 (same car, again) and the C63 is, well, a C class and smaller.
Unfortunately once you've had an E55 nothing feels fast anymore, but 300+Kw should be fine for around town and criusing.

I'm eager to hear about peoples impressions who've driven/own the SV8.
Ahead of the S550?
Old 07-19-2008, 01:47 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
I think it looks great, and it not in any way related to jags of the past, its a whole new car. Can't wait for the rumored 500 hp version. The interior is stunning, that's for sure. And I think it looks very aggressive, yes the concept is edgier, but that's always the case.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:22 PM

'12 ML350
In terms of styling, I applaud Jaguar for trying to take the formula in a different direction. I actually like the aesthetics of the exterior design, reminds me of an old Giugiaro designed concept called the Jaguar Kensington which eventually became the first generation Lexus GS/Toyota Aristo.

The interior is more questionable IMHO, and without putting the Drive Select to the test, I worry about reliability.

Build quality, on the other hand, remains a weak point. At the NYIAS in April, I had a chance to take a close look at the XF and my excitement for the new Jaguar ended when I shut the driver's door - it sounded very 'tinny' and thin, unlike the German cars with their vault like solidity. In fact, I would compare the solidity, or lack thereof, to my wife's 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring...it's a mystery why she loves that van so much.

And the interior fit and finish of the new XF I'd rank even below that of my wife's Odyssey - just not up to par yet.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by ApproachingZero

So are you SOL when the shifter does not lift up?

It has already happened MULTIPLE times to people (not myself as I dont have one)......
Have to trigger a manual release hidden in cupholder or have car towed.........
Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
Originally Posted by rkao
In terms of styling, I applaud Jaguar for trying to take the formula in a different direction. I actually like the aesthetics of the exterior design, reminds me of an old Giugiaro designed concept called the Jaguar Kensington which eventually became the first generation Lexus GS/Toyota Aristo.

The interior is more questionable IMHO, and without putting the Drive Select to the test, I worry about reliability.

Build quality, on the other hand, remains a weak point. At the NYIAS in April, I had a chance to take a close look at the XF and my excitement for the new Jaguar ended when I shut the driver's door - it sounded very 'tinny' and thin, unlike the German cars with their vault like solidity. In fact, I would compare the solidity, or lack thereof, to my wife's 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring...it's a mystery why she loves that van so much.

And the interior fit and finish of the new XF I'd rank even below that of my wife's Odyssey - just not up to par yet.
The Odyssey is a very nice van, I think. But yeah, I guess we still can't expect German-style construction from a British car, yet.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by ApproachingZero
Ahead of the S550?
The XF is $100k less than the S550/500 in OZ!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:49 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by BenzBoy12
The Odyssey is a very nice van, I think. But yeah, I guess we still can't expect German-style construction from a British car, yet.
It's a shame really, because Jaguars drive beautifully.

We rented an XJ8 in 2003 on our honeymoon in the SF Bay area and while the boot was incredibly small and couldn't fit much of my wife's honeymoon accoutrement, it did handle very well through all roads from Monterey all the way through Half Moon Bay, SF and then Napa Valley. I was very impressed with my time behind the wheel...just wish they could bolt the rest of it together right.

I won't pass on your positive sentiments about the Odyssey, I'm already working on not getting another minivan when her lease ends...33 months from now!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:56 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking Pic's as promised

Originally Posted by OzE55
The XF is $100k less than the S550/500 in OZ!!!!!!!!!!!
I paid $52K for this $62K car which competes with the E550. I looked at the E550 as a daily driver but the mileage just did'nt make sense for me. The Jag has averaged 26 mpg overall and got almost 30 mpg on a trip to San Diego on a 4th of July weekend getaway.

The workmanship is just as good as the E Class (I have had two E55's) and still have my 06 E55 as the weekend car. The Jag could not run performance wise with the 380 HP E550 but I am looking for mileage here at least twice what i would have got from the C63 that I cancelled.

As for looks, It looks just fine to me. I have had thumbs up every time I have taken the car on my daily work commutes and could not be happier with this car so far.

When the E55 lease is up I'd like to still consider the C63 but may stay with the AMG E W212 if it's a step up from the E55.
Attached Thumbnails Jag XF Supercharged-jag-xf-1.jpg   Jag XF Supercharged-jag-xf-2.jpg   Jag XF Supercharged-jag-xf-3.jpg  
Old 07-21-2008, 03:36 AM

‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
I went to the Jag dealer this weekend and saw one....

Hmmm the inside is pretty cool, the touch screen nav, the wood, leather etc. Everything you expect from a British company.

The doors don't sound as solid as the E, and I'm concerned that now they were sold to Tata cars in India, what's that going to do for the after purchase experience, service etc.

Still don't like the front end, but the interior and the back end look COOL, I guess I'm an *** man....

I'm confused, love the E, gas mileage sux, but I have the race car for racing around, my lease is up in less than a year..... did I mention how much I LOVE the E55??
Old 07-21-2008, 08:16 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking Sorry your having trouble understanding

Originally Posted by CyE55
I went to the Jag dealer this weekend and saw one....

Hmmm the inside is pretty cool, the touch screen nav, the wood, leather etc. Everything you expect from a British company.

The doors don't sound as solid as the E, and I'm concerned that now they were sold to Tata cars in India, what's that going to do for the after purchase experience, service etc.

Still don't like the front end, but the interior and the back end look COOL, I guess I'm an *** man....

I'm confused, love the E, gas mileage sux, but I have the race car for racing around, my lease is up in less than a year..... did I mention how much I LOVE the E55??
CyE55, I hope this explanation helps.

1) I do love the E55 period! I have had two, the 1st one was sold to Chiro Mikey and I still have the current one. Does that make sense?

2) For my every day driver I just sold my 2007 335i TT. This was basically a "Throw away car" that I used for daily use for my business. Does that make sense?

3) I just got the Jaguar XF because of two things: The Price @ $52K for a $62K car, then Mileage for my daily driver at 26 mpg overall (slightly better than the 335i. The Jaguar will also be a "Throw away" car too. Also for a daily driver to replace the 335i. Does that make sense?

4) As far as "The Gas Mileage Sucks" statement, this is in reference to the E550 not the E55. I test drove an E550, A lexus, and the Jaguar XF for selection for a daily driver/throw away car that I use for business. The "Gas Mileage Sucks" comment is not directed at the E55 period.

I want to preserve the 2006 E55 that I have and only drive it on the weekends or special occasions and am still unsure about what I am going to do at the end of its lease in 12 months. Get a C63? Get a W212 E Amg?

Still undecided about the end of the E55 lease. I hope this helps.

(If you look closely at the Jaguar picture front end shot, you will see my Iridium Silver w/Pano roof E55 in the background nestled in between a Black Betnley Convertible and a Copper colored Porsche SUV)
Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
Originally Posted by rkao
It's a shame really, because Jaguars drive beautifully.

We rented an XJ8 in 2003 on our honeymoon in the SF Bay area and while the boot was incredibly small and couldn't fit much of my wife's honeymoon accoutrement, it did handle very well through all roads from Monterey all the way through Half Moon Bay, SF and then Napa Valley. I was very impressed with my time behind the wheel...just wish they could bolt the rest of it together right.

I won't pass on your positive sentiments about the Odyssey, I'm already working on not getting another minivan when her lease ends...33 months from now!
Yeah, all that aluminum helps a ton, and I really do like the facelifted XJs, they look so aggressive. Minivans as whole do suck, but if you have to get one, get an odyssey. Convince her get an R63!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by deaguero
CyE55, I hope this explanation helps.

1) I do love the E55 period! I have had two, the 1st one was sold to Chiro Mikey and I still have the current one. Does that make sense?

2) For my every day driver I just sold my 2007 335i TT. This was basically a "Throw away car" that I used for daily use for my business. Does that make sense?

3) I just got the Jaguar XF because of two things: The Price @ $52K for a $62K car, then Mileage for my daily driver at 26 mpg overall (slightly better than the 335i. The Jaguar will also be a "Throw away" car too. Also for a daily driver to replace the 335i. Does that make sense?

4) As far as "The Gas Mileage Sucks" statement, this is in reference to the E550 not the E55. I test drove an E550, A lexus, and the Jaguar XF for selection for a daily driver/throw away car that I use for business. The "Gas Mileage Sucks" comment is not directed at the E55 period.

I want to preserve the 2006 E55 that I have and only drive it on the weekends or special occasions and am still unsure about what I am going to do at the end of its lease in 12 months. Get a C63? Get a W212 E Amg?

Still undecided about the end of the E55 lease. I hope this helps.

(If you look closely at the Jaguar picture front end shot, you will see my Iridium Silver w/Pano roof E55 in the background nestled in between a Black Betnley Convertible and a Copper colored Porsche SUV)
FYI for those that haven't seen them in person, they are stunning and drive wonderful. I was very impressed.

I guess you got the luxury premium? How did you get such a large discount? The stealership here in St. Louis offered a whopping $950 discount which I laughed at and says that they are going out the door at sticker. Right!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:01 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking Slow market here in California +

Originally Posted by jlindy
FYI for those that haven't seen them in person, they are stunning and drive wonderful. I was very impressed.

I guess you got the luxury premium? How did you get such a large discount? The stealership here in St. Louis offered a whopping $950 discount which I laughed at and says that they are going out the door at sticker. Right!
jlindy: the two reasons that I got this discount are:

1) This car (a Luxury/Premium) had about 300 miles from test drives
2) I decided to order one just like it in the "Premium" (not luxury premium)

I put down a deposit and spec'd out the order and it came to about $52K. I was then told that the car would be delivered in August. That was ok with me since my 335i lease ended in September. I left the dealership happy expecting to have the car I ordered in perfect time for when my 335i lease ended.

I got a call the next day from the Jag Salesman and he asked if I would be interested in taking the Luxury Premium car that I test drove for the same price as the one I ordered. It did'nt take long to decide on that. So I went the next day and took delivery on the car that I test drove that had a sticker of $62K for $52K and have been happy ever since. The car is flawless and I have had no problems. The best thing is the Mileage which is hovering around 26 mpg (I do a lot of highway driving).

As it turned out, the salesman told me that the Management at the dealership told the Jag Regional guy who happened to be in the next day that I was going to order one just like the car I test drove and he responded he could get some factory incentives to move this car for them. So it worked out pretty well for me good timing and all.

I honestly believe if you really want any car today and push them for a reasonable amount of discount you can get it. Good luck

Pound on the dealer hard if you really want one. This car is amazing for the price and to top it off in spite of the rantings of some of the people on this board about "Buick like looks" I get "thumbs up" every time I drive the car from other motorists.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by deaguero
jlindy: the two reasons that I got this discount are:

1) This car (a Luxury/Premium) had about 300 miles from test drives
2) I decided to order one just like it in the "Premium" (not luxury premium)

I put down a deposit and spec'd out the order and it came to about $52K. I was then told that the car would be delivered in August. That was ok with me since my 335i lease ended in September. I left the dealership happy expecting to have the car I ordered in perfect time for when my 335i lease ended.

I got a call the next day from the Jag Salesman and he asked if I would be interested in taking the Luxury Premium car that I test drove for the same price as the one I ordered. It did'nt take long to decide on that. So I went the next day and took delivery on the car that I test drove that had a sticker of $62K for $52K and have been happy ever since. The car is flawless and I have had no problems. The best thing is the Mileage which is hovering around 26 mpg (I do a lot of highway driving).

As it turned out, the salesman told me that the Management at the dealership told the Jag Regional guy who happened to be in the next day that I was going to order one just like the car I test drove and he responded he could get some factory incentives to move this car for them. So it worked out pretty well for me good timing and all.

I honestly believe if you really want any car today and push them for a reasonable amount of discount you can get it. Good luck

Pound on the dealer hard if you really want one. This car is amazing for the price and to top it off in spite of the rantings of some of the people on this board about "Buick like looks" I get "thumbs up" every time I drive the car from other motorists.
The "300 M" and "buick like" looks that I have been reading is crazy. Never in my life have I ever snapped my head around to see a buick or a 300 M go by and I sure did when I saw the XF. It looks more like an Aston Martin than it does anything else.

I was very skeptical about Jag quality especially with the horrendous X-class. It drove like a Taurus and wasn't much better inside either. The dealer kind of laughed at the X-Class saying is was similar to Cadillac's Cimaron from the late 80's that was basically a chev cavalier with a couple of plastic trim pieces glued on. If you don't believe me, take it for a test drive to see how it feels. I really wanted an E55, but would have to find one with extended warranty so I don't get creamed later.