Exhaust, more importantly headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Exhaust, more importantly headers

So, in the process of building two OUTRAGEOUS exhaust systems. Why outrageous, because they are our design . Anyhow, running into a few sticky points that I hoped experience could help on. One is I am running the HEM from Vadim, and like it. nIt is much more sturdy than the headers and gives me nice top and sound. The thing is, if I am going custom exhaust, what about the primary cats? If they get modified, then why not long headers? Crap....
Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by jangy
So, in the process of building two OUTRAGEOUS exhaust systems. Why outrageous, because they are our design . Anyhow, running into a few sticky points that I hoped experience could help on. One is I am running the HEM from Vadim, and like it. nIt is much more sturdy than the headers and gives me nice top and sound. The thing is, if I am going custom exhaust, what about the primary cats? If they get modified, then why not long headers? Crap....
if your Street use of the car is at least 50% .. I would not go for long headers that give the best on top end, in a racing environment
Old 07-20-2008, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
jangy,
The HEMs are just fine. At this point I would not build my self away from a turbo install by replacing the HEM with long tube headers.
You said outrageous, Victor and Vadim have mentioned the possibility of a blow through turbo set up.
Jangy you could be the one.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:38 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I vote,,,,,Long tubes and high flow cats!! You make plenty of low end tourqe and still will.

Any info on how much long tubes wil drop our IAT`s?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-20-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
I vote,,,,,Long tubes and high flow cats!! You make plenty of low end tourqe and still will.

Any info on how much long tubes wil drop our IAT`s?
I vote long tubes as well. The slight drop in low end torque is more than compensated by the increased high end power. Plus, the car already has more than enough low end torque; you should still be able to fry the tires at will.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
From my experience long tubes on an e55 make very little difference in power. They do a better job at lowering egt's which is a plus.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by rflow306
From my experience long tubes on an e55 make very little difference in power. They do a better job at lowering egt's which is a plus.
Can you go into detail on some of these experiences? There seems to be a lack of consensus around here regarding this topic and it would be nice to get some finality.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Can you go into detail on some of these experiences? There seems to be a lack of consensus around here regarding this topic and it would be nice to get some finality.
I tried a set of super-sprint long tubes first and made a little less horsepower about 2 rwhp, so I would call that a wash. Then I tried a set of custom long tubes with close to 1 7/8 primaries, lost some bottom end torque and picked up about 5 rwhp on motor. The biggest increase came on the nos where it picked up 10 rwhp.

I ended up going back to my Klee style shorties because the long tubes where to loud for my taste. I could also feel a slight resonance under the floor board when taking off in first gear at low speeds.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Long tubes work well with bigger cams and ported heads.

The problem is passing smog for most owners depending on the state.

Jangy, I have a car with long tubes in the shop, you can listen to it.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
Long tubes work well with bigger cams and ported heads.

The problem is passing smog for most owners depending on the state.

Jangy, I have a car with long tubes in the shop, you can listen to it.
Let's hear it!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Nah, I'm not interested for sound. I want performance, and yes, I want it street car. This will be my daily driver now for the next few so I need to pass smog. After lots of talk, it seems that we will go with the HEMs and keep the primary cats. I want to cut the secondary cats and play with the mufflers. BTW, after a few days of driving with the HEMs, I am noticing sound, too.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
I tried a set of super-sprint long tubes first and made a little less horsepower about 2 rwhp, so I would call that a wash. Then I tried a set of custom long tubes with close to 1 7/8 primaries, lost some bottom end torque and picked up about 5 rwhp on motor. The biggest increase came on the nos where it picked up 10 rwhp.

I ended up going back to my Klee style shorties because the long tubes where to loud for my taste. I could also feel a slight resonance under the floor board when taking off in first gear at low speeds.
Not to be argumentative but I'm having a hard time grasping this. Underneath that MBZ engine cover is a V8, much similar to any other small block V8. It has cylinder heads just like other V8's that need to breathe. The engine as I'm sure you know is a giant air pump, which is why intake and exhaust mods do so well. The stock manifolds are terrible and I really see this healthy V8 opening up nicely once it's allowed to exhale.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Not to be argumentative but I'm having a hard time grasping this. Underneath that MBZ engine cover is a V8, much similar to any other small block V8. It has cylinder heads just like other V8's that need to breathe. The engine as I'm sure you know is a giant air pump, which is why intake and exhaust mods do so well. The stock manifolds are terrible and I really see this healthy V8 opening up nicely once it's allowed to exhale.
our s/c'd motors are not as picky about exhaust systems when compared to a n/a motor so i thoroughly believe what albert is saying about the headers he tested. on the other hand, i'm not a fan of supersprints product and imho there are other long tube systems that would have shown better results in his tests.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
our s/c'd motors are not as picky about exhaust systems when compared to a n/a motor so i thoroughly believe what albert is saying about the headers he tested. on the other hand, i'm not a fan of supersprints product and imho there are other long tube systems that would have shown better results in his tests.
I understand that forced induction engines react differently to certain mods than N/A engines, but all these Paxton supercharged Vipers and the KB Cobras are seeing very good gains from headers. One would think that a S/C'd car that moves quite a bit more air than a N/A engine would definitely need the better breathing... que no?

I should also add that I'm not calling him a liar by any means. It just doesn't follow at all that anything "better" than the stock manifolds will only make 2hp, unless the design is flawed in some serious way.

Last edited by bobgodd; 07-21-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
I understand that forced induction engines react differently to certain mods than N/A engines, but all these Paxton supercharged Vipers and the KB Cobras are seeing very good gains from headers. One would think that a S/C'd car that moves quite a bit more air than a N/A engine would definitely need the better breathing... que no?

I should also add that I'm not calling him a liar by any means. It just doesn't follow at all that anything "better" than the stock manifolds will only make 2hp, unless the design is flawed in some serious way.
ok, i think i see where the miscommunication is. i believe (and albert can correct me if i'm wrong) he was comparing supersprint long tubes to mid length/shorty headers rather than supersprints to oem exhaust manifolds.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
I had shorties then removed Primady Cats and and installed straight pipes, the car defialy felt faster on TOP...Cory Kleeamnn says those Cats worth around 10whp...
Old 07-21-2008, 02:06 AM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
I just had my exhaust modified this weekend. I did it entirely for sound. I do feel a bit of TQ loss but the car does pull much smoother. Anyway, the car sounds AMAZING!! I planned on putting up some sound clips but did not have the chance this weekend.

I went to Meineke muffler in Pacific Beach. The owner worked on a race team and is very knowledgeable with exhaust modifications. He cut the mufflers open, took all the fiberglass out and cut all the baffles out of the system. The car sounds like a high-powered motor boat. The best part is that all the work cost me $360.00
Old 07-21-2008, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
Just out of curiosity.... If you guys are spending this much money on modding a street car, why not buy a track car and the REALLY go NUTS !!!

A bit of a hijack, but just curious.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
The HEMS for turbo blow-through application would not be ideal as you need small diam primary tubes to keep exhausst velocity up to spool the turbos, better larger primary tubes will slow airflow to much and increase lag...

The Evosports would mbe work better here if you were to go to a turbo blow over.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by psuball1
I went to Meineke muffler in Pacific Beach. The owner worked on a race team and is very knowledgeable with exhaust modifications. He cut the mufflers open, took all the fiberglass out and cut all the baffles out of the system. The car sounds like a high-powered motor boat. The best part is that all the work cost me $360.00
If he cut all the fiberglass and baffling out...why not just staight pipe the mufflers? Or is there some sound supression still being done by whats left of the muffler..?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
ok, i think i see where the miscommunication is. i believe (and albert can correct me if i'm wrong) he was comparing supersprint long tubes to mid length/shorty headers rather than supersprints to oem exhaust manifolds.
100% correct, thanks Chiro.

Sorry, I did not make it clear. I was comparing a good set of klee style headers that were on the car to long tubes that I tried. The stock manifolds are very restrictive and should be changed the minute you start modding. You an expect an increase of 30 to 40 rwhp by changing to a good shorty /mid header.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
You an expect an increase of 30 to 40 rwhp by changing to a good shorty /mid header.
Maybe on a modded engine; ot on an otherwise stock engine. More likely, you'll only get around 12 - 18 RWHP. It's been awhile, but I recall my Evosport shorties only added about 14 RWHP on my otherwise stock car (same dyno). Agree on the notion that almost any shorty header will be an improvement over the factory manifolds.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:24 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Originally Posted by Murtaza
If he cut all the fiberglass and baffling out...why not just staight pipe the mufflers? Or is there some sound supression still being done by whats left of the muffler..?
It does keep the drone and sound out of the cabin gutting the stock mufflers. Also, if I was to do straight pipes I would have to get some other tips and I don't like any tips aside from the stock setup.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by psuball1
It does keep the drone and sound out of the cabin gutting the stock mufflers. Also, if I was to do straight pipes I would have to get some other tips and I don't like any tips aside from the stock setup.
Need video clips, I want to hear that beast
Old 07-22-2008, 04:39 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by kompressed55
Maybe on a modded engine; ot on an otherwise stock engine. More likely, you'll only get around 12 - 18 RWHP. It's been awhile, but I recall my Evosport shorties only added about 14 RWHP on my otherwise stock car (same dyno). Agree on the notion that almost any shorty header will be an improvement over the factory manifolds.
There is one little tid bit of info we are missing here, the klee headers remove the primary cats, not sure if they replace them with their own though or just remove it. Primaries removal alone have shown gains of 7-10whp reported by some members.
thats where the rest of the hp comes from

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust, more importantly headers