Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

octane booster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
octane booster?

any comments on octane booster? Does it help? Anyone using it right now?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
octane boosters are misleading at best and it's FAR cheaper (and more beneficial) to mix race fuel to achieve the desired octane increase.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
The only one that I have seen that actually works is the torco.

But I agree with Chiro that mixing unleaded race fuel is your best bet.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 PM

E55
you can also mix in toluene or xylene both has much higher octane rating than normal race gas and is cheaper. I have used both for many years. Tons of information if you google them.

However, increasing octane rating on your gas is not going to do any benefit unless you are programmed for it. It can you a factor of safety from detonation.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 AM

2003-E55 2011-C63 2016-C63S
5th Gear did a show on Octane Booster that will answer your question. Here is link http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbcCr2ll3c
Old 07-29-2008, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by tigerlam92
you can also mix in toluene or xylene both has much higher octane rating than normal race gas and is cheaper. I have used both for many years. Tons of information if you google them.

However, increasing octane rating on your gas is not going to do any benefit unless you are programmed for it. It can you a factor of safety from detonation.
Dead on my friend

I have used both toluene and xylene, from the days that I worked at a small refinery here in PA. We called it the 'Asprin" for lousy gas. Heck, I had a 55 gallon of toluene in my garage during the mid 80's.

On a side note, I have been running supercharged cars since 93, and have had EXCELLENT results with 104 black label. It is a CHEAP alternative IMHO, and it works. I have plenty of open track days as proof, during 90 degree plus days of 20 minutes of wide open throttle to back this up.

Above all else, just as you said, if your car does not need it, aka higher octane, you will LOOSE power with it. A car only needs a finite amount of octane, and too much actually hurts performance due to a slower flame front. If your vehicle isn't tuned for it, or doesn't require it, you gain NOTHING.

See yeah
Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by tigerlam92

Same here.
FYI: Toluene = 114 octaine.

I have two 5 gal tanks if anyone needs some.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Dead on my friend

I have used both toluene and xylene, from the days that I worked at a small refinery here in PA. We called it the 'Asprin" for lousy gas. Heck, I had a 55 gallon of toluene in my garage during the mid 80's.

On a side note, I have been running supercharged cars since 93, and have had EXCELLENT results with 104 black label. It is a CHEAP alternative IMHO, and it works. I have plenty of open track days as proof, during 90 degree plus days of 20 minutes of wide open throttle to back this up.

Above all else, just as you said, if your car does not need it, aka higher octane, you will LOOSE power with it. A car only needs a finite amount of octane, and too much actually hurts performance due to a slower flame front. If your vehicle isn't tuned for it, or doesn't require it, you gain NOTHING.

See yeah
Good info here.

I'd like to also add that most octane boosters don't really boost octane...they prevent or reduce detonation. They were marketed to the muscle car owners with high compression engines that wouldn't run on the reduced octane of gas in the late 70's. Toluene works well for this.

There are a few boosters that actually increase octane and also additives that are oxygenators and contain their own oxygen plus other additives for increased performance.

I've tried most of them with mixed results. Klotz "NITRO" produced the most noticable increase for me in my shifter Kart and Cobra replica but I would NEVER put that stuff in my MB. It requires jetting up the carbs for the increased oxygen and I don't know if the ECU in the E could handle that.