W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** ASP Pulley ***

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 Black
Originally Posted by kompressed55
A crank harmonic damper doesn't have dampening "transitional forces between the crankshaft and the SC" on its mission list. That's simply a wrong statement. A far better explanation of the function of a crank harmonic damper can be found at the Fluidampr website:

"Each time the air/fuel mixture inside a cylinder is ignited, the combustion that occurs creates a torque spike that is applied to the crankshaft through the piston and rod. This torque spike is so severe that it not only turns the crankshaft, it actually twists the crankshaft ahead of its normal rotation and then the crankshaft rebounds. This twisting action is known as torsional vibration. When these torque spikes and forces get into phase with the natural frequency, critical torsional harmonic vibrations occur and can be seriously destructive to the bearings and the crankshaft. Dampers are designed to control those destructive vibrations.

Critical harmonic vibrations occur numerous times in a engine’s operating range. Stock rubber and elastomer-type dampers are frequency sensitive “tuned absorbers”, and work at only one critical frequency. In the case of a stock rubber damper, it is tuned for a factory engine’s critical harmonic vibrations. If you change the mass of pistons, rods, or the crankshaft, you change the natural frequency of the crankshaft assembly; therefore, the stock damper is no longer tuned to the new frequency of vibration, and you may be headed for early failure of expensive engine components."

Since the vast majority of us are not modifying the mass of our engines' internals (i.e., pistons, rods, crank), I would assume that the factory damper, and larger pullies based on the factory damper are correctly frequency tuned for our engines (any experts to refute this?). The supercharger happens to be a belt driven accessory which function has nothing to do with the intended function of the crank damper.

Perhaps some tuners not relying on the factory crank damper somehow measured the frequency of the SC belt tensioner damper (didn't know it had one) and determined it could function as the damper for the crank as well. Personally, I would rather have a tuned crank damper (e.g. factory) responsible for controlling harmonic vibration of my engine block, and replace it as needed when the rubber shows signs of deterioration. That's my take on it; maybe others with more expertise can chime in.
This is an area I know quite well in another industry, snowmobile engines. Two-stroke snowmobile engines will rear their ugly head much quicker due to a harmonic issue than a factory built MB motor. On a 2-stroke snowmobile motor the clutch is mounted on the end of the crankshaft and many have a rubber dampner acting as a harmonic balancer. I've seen metal rings added to the back of the clutch that once in the hands of the consumer are immediately removed in the interest of getting the motor to rev quicker. They see excess weight or rotating mass, can't understand why it's there, and yank it off. What they don't realize is they have removed overall mass from the crankshaft and changed the range of the harmonic vibration to another rpm range. Engine manufacturers have to deal with harmonics when designing motors. They sometimes add mass to the crankshaft to move the harmonic vibration to an area of engine operation that is transitory, in other words you are probably accelerating or decelerating through this rpm but never continuously operate there. Changing the mass of the crankshaft may move the harmonic vibration to a range where the motor frequently operates for extended periods. In a car that might be at 65 mph in final gear. If this happens and you operate a motor frequently in this harmonic range the life of the crank, mains, etc. can be dramatically shortened. However it won't happen overnight. Depending on the motor and the application it may take months or years for the damage to take it's toll. It may happen far enough down the road that you never put 2+2 together and blame the failure on something else.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
A crank harmonic damper doesn't have dampening "transitional forces between the crankshaft and the SC" on its mission list. That's simply a wrong statement.
Great post. They also have lots of info on why NOT to use the rubber setups in our OEM ones, but hey..

I get what you were saying and am learning, but I don't get why my statement was so simply wrong? I can see that the crankshaft is going to have that vibration, but so what? I ask that because we were talking about the PURPOSE of the dampner. Are you saying that the dampner steadies the crankshaft? If so, then I was off because i doubt that is the case. I nstead, I think the dampner is to help absorb the vibration coming from the crankshaft and send steadier power to turn the SC. Is that not the same as dampening "transitional forces between the crankshaft and the SC"?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by machz990
They see excess weight or rotating mass, can't understand why it's there, and yank it off. What they don't realize is they have removed overall mass from the crankshaft and changed the range of the harmonic vibration to another rpm range. Engine manufacturers have to deal with harmonics when designing motors. They sometimes add mass to the crankshaft to move the harmonic vibration to an area of engine operation that is transitory, in other words you are probably accelerating or decelerating through this rpm but never continuously operate there. Changing the mass of the crankshaft may move the harmonic vibration to a range where the motor frequently operates for extended periods. In a car that might be at 65 mph in final gear.
Another awesome post on this thread. I'm getting how intricate this is and must be what the prior poster was talking about with the weight of the pulley.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by jangy
Great post. They also have lots of info on why NOT to use the rubber setups in our OEM ones, but hey..
Obviously, they are trying to sell their fluid-dampened dampers, plain and simple. Maybe they have a better solution, but if rubber is so bad, why do all the OEMs use it? Probably for cost savings, but obviously rubber works just fine - only rarely do you ever read about problems with crank dampers.

I get what you were saying and am learning, but I don't get why my statement was so simply wrong? I can see that the crankshaft is going to have that vibration, but so what? I ask that because we were talking about the PURPOSE of the dampner. Are you saying that the dampner steadies the crankshaft? If so, then I was off because i doubt that is the case. I nstead, I think the dampner is to help absorb the vibration coming from the crankshaft and send steadier power to turn the SC. Is that not the same as dampening "transitional forces between the crankshaft and the SC"?
The damper has nothing to do with the SC other than driving it, so that's why I said the post was wrong. The damper's purpose is about protecting the crank as noted in a few of the posts above. Anyway, that's my understanding of its function based on everything I've read.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
The ASP are a junk design, half stock hybrids. Its also the only pulley I've ever seen that uses WELDS . They don't even look like clean tig welds either. To get a perfectly balanced pulley you have to start from scratch and CNC machine one. VRP design is definitely much better than ASP but then again there are many other good tuners out there with high quality pulleys. Some cost more, others less, but overall its best to avoid the "stock hybrid" pulleys, they are just a really bad design.

2 cents
Old 08-26-2008, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
Originally Posted by E55 PWR
To get a perfectly balanced pulley you have to start from scratch and CNC machine one.
Not true. You simply have to balance the pulley assembly as the final step of the manufacturing process. Remember, balanced is balanced - it either is in balance or it isn't.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Not true. You simply have to balance the pulley assembly as the final step of the manufacturing process. Remember, balanced is balanced - it either is in balance or it isn't.
I disagree. Balance is something that can change with time/wear - welds can give way, parts can corrode, etc - which will cause a pulley to become unbalanced. Balanced is balanced as long as there are no variables. ASP pulleys have variables, whether people want to admit it or not.

CNCing a piece is a clean way to maintain integrity in the long term and maintain consistency.

-m
Old 08-26-2008, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Balanced is balanced as long as there are no variables.
Where's the disagreement? I said balanced is balanced. It's foolish to suggest that a CNC based damper is not subject to so-called "variables" over time. I think there's already been at least one post regarding issues with a CNC based pulley. It can corrode too, elastomers can fail, bolts can loosen, etc. Maybe it occurs at a slower rate, maybe it doesn't. Let's be honest here and say that no pulley design is a panacea. Basically, you pick the price point where you want to play, and you go for it. All else being equal, so long as the pulleys in question are of comparable diameter, your engine will get the identical power increase potential.

Since I don't have a pulley on my car (yet), I have no dog in this fight. Just trying to keep things on a relatively factual basis.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
CNCing a piece is a clean way to maintain integrity in the long term and maintain consistency.
True and not true. Bottom line, they all have variables. The other units have bolt on blower pulley section (6-8 variable bolts) and 40% lighter rotational mass. ASP has 20% heavier rotational mass. Where does that leave us all down the road? Is 20% heavier safer or is 40% lighter safer (My 40% is based on Jangy claiming 4 lbs lighter on his style )??? MB, ASP and others all seem to be CNC-ed in some form or shape.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
No, the Kleemann pulley has the outer ring pinned on a stock center. No bolts, no welds. No one but ASP welds these together.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Interesting.. Same method of machining as ASP but 4 small pins hold the outer ring? They look like allen head screws or also called set screws. From other pictures, they balance the same way too.

I still like welding verses pins or screws but that is my 2cents..
Attached Thumbnails *** ASP Pulley ***-img7631hg2-klee.jpg  
Old 08-26-2008, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Where's the disagreement? I said balanced is balanced. It's foolish to suggest that a CNC based damper is not subject to so-called "variables" over time. I think there's already been at least one post regarding issues with a CNC based pulley. It can corrode too, elastomers can fail, bolts can loosen, etc. Maybe it occurs at a slower rate, maybe it doesn't. Let's be honest here and say that no pulley design is a panacea. Basically, you pick the price point where you want to play, and you go for it. All else being equal, so long as the pulleys in question are of comparable diameter, your engine will get the identical power increase potential.

Since I don't have a pulley on my car (yet), I have no dog in this fight. Just trying to keep things on a relatively factual basis.
I still think there's a differentiation in our rhetoric but it's mostly semantics. I don't agree that balanced is balanced if it's more prone to becoming unbalanced. I would never say any pulley design is 100% fool proof but the simple mechanics behind CNC versus cut/press/weld are pretty easy to see. I'm not saying that ASP pulleys aren't great, I'm just saying when you talk about the actual manufacturing process and the end product, the ASP will be more susceptible than a well made CNC piece. That doesn't mean the CNC piece can't have issues...

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
True and not true. Bottom line, they all have variables. The other units have bolt on blower pulley section (6-8 variable bolts) and 40% lighter rotational mass. ASP has 20% heavier rotational mass. Where does that leave us all down the road? Is 20% heavier safer or is 40% lighter safer (My 40% is based on Jangy claiming 4 lbs lighter on his style )??? MB, ASP and others all seem to be CNC-ed in some form or shape.
I didn't say CNC is without variables. I'm saying that the ASP approach is more prone to fault in these variables, and I point to Jim's backwards problem as an example. No manufacturing process is perfect.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not in this application heavier or lighter is better - when you put everything on the table. I understand the engineering fundamentals that lie underneath this discussion but I'm just not sure if it's a clean cut as some would suggest. There are downsides to more weight and there can be upsides to less weight.

-m
Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Interesting.. Same method of machining as ASP but 4 small pins hold the outer ring? They look like allen head screws or also called set screws. From other pictures, they balance the same way too.

I still like welding verses pins or screws but that is my 2cents..
They function to locate the ring only, they don't actually bolt the 2 halves together, much like a roll pin would do. I dunno, mine has been on the car for over 8K and no part of it is rusty or coming apart. I've never heard of a faulty or failed Kleemann pulley?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
II don't agree that balanced is balanced if it's more prone to becoming unbalanced.
I understand your concern, but your attempting to lump two different physical characteristics or properties into one and the physics of your statement are nonsensical.

Either an item is in balance or not. Period. End of statement. Assume two pulleys, one a bolt together design, and the other, a substantially less expensive one that has some welds on it, have each been balanced as part of their respective manufacturing processes. The simple, unalterable fact is that they both are "balanced."

Your concern can actually be expressed as a pully's tendency to lose its state of balance as a result of being subjected to use, and which design style is more susceptible to losing its state of balance over a period of time. That tendency, though it may exist (no one has really documented or actually measured this in any controlled scientific manner that I've read about) has zero to do whether a pulley is in balance or not. It is either is or it isn't.

I would agree that I would be more willing to consider for purchase a pulley that had a documented characteristic of retaining its state of balance over a longer period of time versus one that was more likely not to, but there doesn't seem to be any reliable data available to assist us in analyzing how rapidly a particular pulley's state of balance will degrade. I don't think attempting to extrapolate rate of balance loss from manufacturing method used is much more than an assumption without some actual, verifiable data to support the assumption, but then I'm not an engineer either, so what do I know?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Frankly I think the obsession with balanced vs unbalanced etc is waaaay overstated. Whats much more important is if the pulley maintains its harmonic balance, and is correctly harmonically tuned in the first place.

Lets face it these pulleys are not going to be massively out of balance they are circular and other than the welds no additional material is oddly placed to substantially alter their state of "balance". So if they do go out of balance it is no going to be by much, and I am still trying to understand how this could occur without the unit actually failing in some way. I can't see normal "wear & tear" altering the balance materially, if at all. Also if u consider the load the pulley is under any small variation in baalance is, by far, overwhelmed by the belt load/tension.

The notches in the outer ring, to me, are foremost to tune the harmonics... and not the balance. Harmonics are there regardless of belt load and tension.

But hey I could be wrong.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
I understand your concern, but your attempting to lump two different physical characteristics or properties into one and the physics of your statement are nonsensical.

Either an item is in balance or not. Period. End of statement. Assume two pulleys, one a bolt together design, and the other, a substantially less expensive one that has some welds on it, have each been balanced as part of their respective manufacturing processes. The simple, unalterable fact is that they both are "balanced."

Your concern can actually be expressed as a pully's tendency to lose its state of balance as a result of being subjected to use, and which design style is more susceptible to losing its state of balance over a period of time. That tendency, though it may exist (no one has really documented or actually measured this in any controlled scientific manner that I've read about) has zero to do whether a pulley is in balance or not. It is either is or it isn't.

I would agree that I would be more willing to consider for purchase a pulley that had a documented characteristic of retaining its state of balance over a longer period of time versus one that was more likely not to, but there doesn't seem to be any reliable data available to assist us in analyzing how rapidly a particular pulley's state of balance will degrade. I don't think attempting to extrapolate rate of balance loss from manufacturing method used is much more than an assumption without some actual, verifiable data to support the assumption, but then I'm not an engineer either, so what do I know?
We are arguing semantics.

I point to Jim's story of having a backwards ASP pulley as an example of a variable that could affect a pulley's balance - now it's not an example of how a pulley became unbalanced after it was originally balanced, rather it's an example of the variables introduced to the final product equation.

The picture Vadim posted clearly shows a cracked weld, and again, welds are another variable that makes a pulley succeptible to loss of balance. Exotic-metal55 said screws are also variables but honestly, screw/bolts/etc hold just about our entire car together so I'm not sure if it's realistic to classify screws/bolts/etc on the same level as crappy welds...

My point was, while you are right about balanced being balanced, you should not just look a product because the company making it can claim with absolute certainty that the product will be balanced when you receive it - other factors need to be considered as well, IMO.

-m
Old 08-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
The damper has nothing to do with the SC other than driving it, so that's why I said the post was wrong. The damper's purpose is about protecting the crank as noted in a few of the posts above. Anyway, that's my understanding of its function based on everything I've read.
I disagree with the dampner being there to save the crank. That crank is the hardest metal in the car. Let's say things got jammed up, what is that dampner gonna do? Harmonic distortion, yes I can see but again I don't see that harming the crank. When spinning, the force from the crank is huge and that little bit of rubber isn't even going to save the seal in the front. A dampner or any buffer goes both ways. it is between the crank and the SC and it helps them BOTH survive. But again, if the dampner is so great (rubber or fluid) why would the EVOSport pulleys be doing so well (from a reliability point)? Also, if rubber were the way to go, especially rubber that has been through an extra round of stress, why did RennTech change its design away from an MB hybrid, eventhough they are no longer pushing that market?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
I disagree with the dampner being there to save the crank. That crank is the hardest metal in the car. Let's say things got jammed up, what is that dampner gonna do? Harmonic distortion, yes I can see but again I don't see that harming the crank. When spinning, the force from the crank is huge and that little bit of rubber isn't even going to save the seal in the front. A dampner or any buffer goes both ways. it is between the crank and the SC and it helps them BOTH survive. But again, if the dampner is so great (rubber or fluid) why would the EVOSport pulleys be doing so well (from a reliability point)? Also, if rubber were the way to go, especially rubber that has been through an extra round of stress, why did RennTech change its design away from an MB hybrid, eventhough they are no longer pushing that market?
jangy,

I don't know if he is referring to the actual crank, or the bearings. I would suspect he is referring to the latter, in which case what he wrote would be correct.

-m
Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
jangy,

I don't know if he is referring to the actual crank, or the bearings. I would suspect he is referring to the latter, in which case what he wrote would be correct.

-m
But even the bearings would barely be saved by the rubber. Again, i agree with harmonic, but i just don't see how a little strip of rubber will be anything but fully stretched at WOT or even normal runs. Once the crank is spinning, the dampner is just there. it isn't like that rubber is still staying flexible. Also, don't forget that there is already a tensioner there that has lots of give (much more than any dampner) and we are running a rubber belt that is NOT linked on, so it slips. Are you kidding me that we need a piece of rubber to save the crank or its bearings?

Maybe soba, maybe noba... but either way we are getting into some massive symantics. Those that run the ASP have every right to do so but claiming that its design is superior is just funny.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
But even the bearings would barely be saved by the rubber. Again, i agree with harmonic, but i just don't see how a little strip of rubber will be anything but fully stretched at WOT or even normal runs. Once the crank is spinning, the dampner is just there. it isn't like that rubber is still staying flexible. Also, don't forget that there is already a tensioner there that has lots of give (much more than any dampner) and we are running a rubber belt that is NOT linked on, so it slips. Are you kidding me that we need a piece of rubber to save the crank or its bearings?
Jangy:

EVERY car built has a Harmonic damper installed from the factory, wether it has a Supercharger, Turbo, or NA. Its SOLE purpose is to control harmonics so that you DO NOT rip up the bottom end of the engine. It has ABSOLUTELY Nothing to do with saving the Supercharger my friend. When you go have a custom engine built, ALL engine tuners will ask you for your balancer. No they do not tune it for harmonics, they simply re-balance it for your new rods, piston, or what ever elese you have added. Even race cars, that build ALL internaly balanced engines will still run a Harmonic damper on them to help save the bearings/crank. Yes, they really help that much. Talk to ANY engine builder and they will help shed some light on why they are needed so badly on ANY engine.

See yeah

PS: Even with New rods, pistons and or a crank, they ONLY re-balance the Harmonic damper. They DO NOT change its frequency/damper range. this is the ONLY reason why I could ever see using a Fluid damper IF you changed ALL of the internal engine components. There just ISN'T that much of a change in the resonant harmonics to warrent changing the frequency of the damper unless you have changed EVERYTHING.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 08-28-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The OEM pullley is also a harmonic damper... !!!!

The harmonic damper has nothing to do with the fact its driving a S/C.

The motor needs it regardless of the S/C drive element. If I am not mistaken the harmonic tuning is islolated from the S/C drive ring by the rubber insulation, so that the harmonics are not affected.

Production cars
Tuned mass dampers are widely used in production cars, typically on the crankshaft pulley to control torsional vibration and bending modes of the crankshaft, on the driveline for gearwhine, and other noises. They are also used on the exhaust, on the body and on the suspension, as in the 2CV example above. Almost all cars will have one mass damper, some may have 10 or more.

This is why the woodruf key on our pulleys is so important. It locates the pullley exactly in harmonic tune with the crank and internals.

The keyway as we have established before is not to lock it in position. That stretch bolt a a bunch of torque is there for that.

Last edited by stevebez; 08-28-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Jangy:

EVERY car built has a Harmonic damper installed from the factory, wether it has a Supercharger, Turbo, or NA. Its SOLE purpose is to control harmonics so that you DO NOT rip up the bottom end of the engine. It has ABSOLUTELY Nothing to do with saving the Supercharger my friend. When you go have a custom engine built, ALL engine tuners will ask you for your balancer. No they do not tune it for harmonics, they simply re-balance it for your new rods, piston, or what ever elese you have added. Even race cars, that build ALL internaly balanced engines will still run a Harmonic damper on them to help save the bearings/crank. Yes, they really help that much. Talk to ANY engine builder and they will help shed some light on why they are needed so badly on ANY engine.

See yeah

PS: Even with New rods, pistons and or a crank, they ONLY re-balance the Harmonic damper. They DO NOT change its frequency/damper range. this is the ONLY reason why I could ever see using a Fluid damper IF you changed ALL of the internal engine components. There just ISN'T that much of a change in the resonant harmonics to warrent changing the frequency of the damper unless you have changed EVERYTHING.
I see your point, but again, why did RennTech swap setups and keep the size identical? I've heard much more about fluid dampner than just for race cars, but anyhow. My argument is not that the rubber doesn't dampen harmonics. It is that the rubber is getting stressed during the production of the ASP pulley. And again, I dot believe that small strip of rubber is doing much of anything at high revs, even if every race team has it. Why does the EVOSport setup work?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by stevebez
The motor needs it regardless of the S/C drive element. If I am not mistaken the harmonic tuning is islolated from the S/C drive ring by the rubber insulation, so that the harmonics are not affected.
Guys:

Get off this Supercharger talk. It just doesn't matter what engine your talking about, ALL cars have a damper, with an elastomer band, GM, BMW, FORD, CHYSLER, MB, etc, etc. Regardless of the induction system, NA, Turbo, SC, etc, etc. The damper is to control crank Harmonics, as was described in VERY good detail above. THATS IT, nothing more, nothing less.

See yeah
Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I see your point, but again, why did RennTech swap setups and keep the size identical? I've heard much more about fluid dampner than just for race cars, but anyhow. My argument is not that the rubber doesn't dampen harmonics. It is that the rubber is getting stressed during the production of the ASP pulley. And again, I dot believe that small strip of rubber is doing much of anything at high revs, even if every race team has it. Why does the EVOSport setup work?
Jangy:

You are 100% correct about stressing that elastomer ring

This is why you should ALWAYS use the proper puller when removing one. IF you pry on the outer ring, you will destroy the damper. I know, I have a few boat anchors from my Ford days, when I pulled one incorrectly. Could ASP over stress it? You bet, I too would be curious as to what they use to seperate it, WITHOUT doing any damage.

See yeah
Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The rubber is to isolate the damper (and harmonics) from the S/C drive ring and accessory ring.

The harmonics have nothing to do with the rubber. The rubber is there to prevent the harmonic tune from being affected. The harmonic balance is found on the pulley at the back of the pulley closest to the motor.

There is a good reason this pulley has the mass it has.