Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chicago==Route 66 Raceway Test & Tune 8/26/08

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
This was my first time bringing the beast to the track and I now know it's not as easy to get a clean launch with these things as I thought. Couldn't get out of the hole smoothly if my life depended on it tonight. My best run was a 12.530 @ 114.68 mph with a neck-breaking 60' of 2.110 My 2 other runs I had 2.0 60's but worse times. I think if I can shave .2-.3 off that 60' I should run a 12.1-12.2 What are some good techniques to get a better short time? I had the suspension raised and in comfort mode, the tranny in sport mode and T/C on. I tried brake torquing to ~1400 rpms and tried rolling into the throttle and still managed to have the T/C cut power for that brief second when the wheels broke loose Oh and I have vids of a couple of Jim's runs but my lips are sealed until he chimes in

Here's a vid of my run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0uMc-VASmA

Last edited by Bisco; 08-27-2008 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Bisco
This was my first time bringing the beast to the track and I now know it's not as easy to get a clean launch with these things as I thought. Couldn't get out of the hole smoothly if my life depended on it tonight. My best run was a 12.530 @ 114.68 mph with a neck-breaking 60' of 2.110 My 2 other runs I had 2.0 60's but worse times. I think if I can shave .2-.3 off that 60' I should run a 12.1-12.2 What are some good techniques to get a better short time? I had the suspension raised and in comfort mode, the tranny in sport mode and T/C on. I tried brake torquing to ~1400 rpms and tried rolling into the throttle and still managed to have the T/C cut power for that brief second when the wheels broke loose Oh and I have vids of a couple of Jim's runs but my lips are sealed until he chimes in
Oh, common..... I've been really anxious to hear his numbers
Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 AM

2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Well. What the hell were Jim's numbers!!!!!!!!!!

Don't keep us in suspense. Did he break 11'0's last night on NOS??
Old 08-27-2008, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
k , subscribed!

What happened ? 63 record destroyed? or ???
Old 08-27-2008, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Where do I begin? I got to the track and proceeded to tech inspection. Things where going along fine until they asked me to open my trunk, which they have never done before, when they saw the bottle they asked to see my Nomax jacket...oops! I did not bring my jacket and gloves. Then they told me I had to disconect and remove the bottle, no problem, I wanted to make some non-nitrous passes on the new MT's anyhow. They asked me what I think the car is gonna run without the bottle and I say maybe 11.40's if I am really lucky....oops! Mr Tech guys says anything better than 11.50's require racing harnesses...no problem, I've got em'...ooops again, appearently my harnesses are not SFI certified, they are FIA certified...so let me get this straight, I can run these harnesses in a F1 car on any FIA circuit in the world but not at Route 66 Raceway in friggin Joliet, IL????? IDIOTS! So after a few phone calls and discussions with track officials they do not budge on this issue.

So at this point I'm thinking this trip to the track is a complete waste. No spray and if I run a sub-11.50 I'm done. I figure I'm gonna make the best of it and just try to beat my previous best e/t.

My first pass was a red light 15.3, the tires were so sticky and the car makes so much torque that it pushed/plowed me through the beam at the starting line. It actually pushed the car about 2 feet with the front wheels locked up. I go and make another pass and the same thing happens, although I manage a 13.something. This really sucks, I'm ready to take the MT's off and go back to the Corsa's when a buddy recomends just getting up to the line at about 500rpm and then just step on the throttle rather than brake torqueing it off the line. So I give that a try and I manage a 11.71. Now things are looking up, my next pass I decide to bring it up to about 1500 RPM and then stab it. They car takes off like a rocket, I can feel myself being pushed back into the seat, I know it is going to be a good run, I get my slip and it says 11.487 @ 121.40 mph. Great e/t, terrible mph, I guess the tires are hurting my mph or something.

Now I broke 11.50's and I am waiting for the track officials to come kick me out but it never happens. So I figure I'd try for one more pass...with 75 shot of nitrous, I figure what the hell, if they are gonna kick me out I might as well go for broke. We hook up the bottle, change the jets from a 50 shot to the 75 and head back to the staging lanes. I was originally going to work my way up from 50 to 75 to 100. I line up and try to repeat my last launch while spraying right out of the box. Things did not go as well as planned, I got a little out of the groove, the tires actually spun a little bit and I knew it was a bad run, well bad for a nirtrous run, I only managed a 11.70 with the 75 shot of spray.

So here is the new motor only record on M/T Streets. I believe this takes both the CLK and 63 titles. You guys better go back to the drawing board and get some credit limit extensions on your credit cards because I am just getting started, there is plenty more "fun stuff" in the works already.

R/T .186

60' 1.730

330 4.842

1/8 7.414

MPH 96.25

1000 9.624

1/4 11.487

MPH 121.40

Let me know where to fax the slips because I know a bunch of you guys are doubting haters and never believe anything. BTW there were 3-4 other guys from this board out there that witnessed this pass and a couple of them witnessed me connecting the bottle and changing the jets AFTER this pass for anyone that doubts the motor only part of the story. had a nice MB turn out 3 E55's and a C32 were out there last night.

This thing is gonna go 11.0's up here in Chicago with the 100 shot once I figure out the launch with the new tires, maybe this Saturday at the L.E.T event at U.S 41. If I end up going to MIR in November I'm gonna be well into the 10's.

One more thing, I went faster than 3 C6 Z06's, the best they could muster up were 11.75's.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by jrcart
I believe this takes both the CLK and 63 titles.
Sorry but I still have the best CLK ET Your car definitely makes more power than mine did when I ran the 11.480 so get some practice in. I can't wait for MIR! Hurry up and break my record so I can have a reason to hit the track again. You are very close. What did you trap on the 75 shot? What was the DA at the track?

Last edited by blackbenzz; 08-27-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Sorry but I still have the best CLK ET Your car definitely makes more power than mine did when I ran the 11.480 so get some practice in. I can't wait for MIR! Hurry up and break my record so I can have a reason to hit the track again. You are very close. What did you trap on the 75 shot? What was the DA at the track?
Ah, I thought your best was 11.49. I don't need practice, just another pass with the bottle. The bottle run was 11.732 @121.70mph. This stuff is confussing to me, I ran over 4/10th slower but trapped higher????? I will never figure this stuff out I guess.

I guess you get to keep your record until Saturday
Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Where do I begin? I got to the track and proceeded to tech inspection. Things where going along fine until they asked me to open my trunk, which they have never done before, when they saw the bottle they asked to see my Nomax jacket...oops! I did not bring my jacket and gloves. Then they told me I had to disconect and remove the bottle, no problem, I wanted to make some non-nitrous passes on the new MT's anyhow. They asked me what I think the car is gonna run without the bottle and I say maybe 11.40's if I am really lucky....oops! Mr Tech guys says anything better than 11.50's require racing harnesses...no problem, I've got em'...ooops again, appearently my harnesses are not SFI certified, they are FIA certified...so let me get this straight, I can run these harnesses in a F1 car on any FIA circuit in the world but not at Route 66 Raceway in friggin Joliet, IL????? IDIOTS! So after a few phone calls and discussions with track officials they do not budge on this issue.

So at this point I'm thinking this trip to the track is a complete waste. No spray and if I run a sub-11.50 I'm done. I figure I'm gonna make the best of it and just try to beat my previous best e/t.

My first pass was a red light 15.3, the tires were so sticky and the car makes so much torque that it pushed/plowed me through the beam at the starting line. It actually pushed the car about 2 feet with the front wheels locked up. I go and make another pass and the same thing happens, although I manage a 13.something. This really sucks, I'm ready to take the MT's off and go back to the Corsa's when a buddy recomends just getting up to the line at about 500rpm and then just step on the throttle rather than brake torqueing it off the line. So I give that a try and I manage a 11.71. Now things are looking up, my next pass I decide to bring it up to about 1500 RPM and then stab it. They car takes off like a rocket, I can feel myself being pushed back into the seat, I know it is going to be a good run, I get my slip and it says 11.487 @ 121.40 mph. Great e/t, terrible mph, I guess the tires are hurting my mph or something.

Now I broke 11.50's and I am waiting for the track officials to come kick me out but it never happens. So I figure I'd try for one more pass...with 75 shot of nitrous, I figure what the hell, if they are gonna kick me out I might as well go for broke. We hook up the bottle, change the jets from a 50 shot to the 75 and head back to the staging lanes. I was originally going to work my way up from 50 to 75 to 100. I line up and try to repeat my last launch while spraying right out of the box. Things did not go as well as planned, I got a little out of the groove, the tires actually spun a little bit and I knew it was a bad run, well bad for a nirtrous run, I only managed a 11.70 with the 75 shot of spray.

So here is the new motor only record on M/T Streets. I believe this takes both the CLK and 63 titles. You guys better go back to the drawing board and get some credit limit extensions on your credit cards because I am just getting started, there is plenty more "fun stuff" in the works already.

R/T .186

60' 1.730

330 4.842

1/8 7.414

MPH 96.25

1000 9.624

1/4 11.487

MPH 121.40

Let me know where to fax the slips because I know a bunch of you guys are doubting haters and never believe anything. BTW there were 3-4 other guys from this board out there that witnessed this pass and a couple of them witnessed me connecting the bottle and changing the jets AFTER this pass for anyone that doubts the motor only part of the story. had a nice MB turn out 3 E55's and a C32 were out there last night.

This thing is gonna go 11.0's up here in Chicago with the 100 shot once I figure out the launch with the new tires, maybe this Saturday at the L.E.T event at U.S 41. If I end up going to MIR in November I'm gonna be well into the 10's.

One more thing, I went faster than 3 C6 Z06's, the best they could muster up were 11.75's.

Great run Jim. I will update the list and repost.

Tom
Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Ah, I thought your best was 11.49. I don't need practice, just another pass with the bottle. The bottle run was 11.732 @121.70mph. This stuff is confussing to me, I ran over 4/10th slower but trapped higher????? I will never figure this stuff out I guess.

I guess you get to keep your record until Saturday
Nope, 11.480 without nitrous. Did you let off on the nitrous run? You said you spun which kills the ET but you would expect a lot higher trap.

I've had the title for long enough and have been waiting for some competition. That 11.480 pass was run almost a year ago, alot has changed since then buddy Good luck on saturday, try to also beat my time without nitrous as well. Can't wait to start hitting the track again after you beat my times!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TMC M5
Great run Jim. I will update the list and repost.

Tom
PM me your fax number and I will be happy to fax you a copy of the slip and if you click on over to the Black Series forum you will see a thread that someone else from this board started last night stating that he witnessed it and it was indeed motor only. There were seveal guys from this board up there last night....I heard a siver benz ended up in the gravel trap, not sure who it was, but I hope he and his car are OK. People kept coming up to me think it was me.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
I was there and watched the 11.4 run!!! After that jim was messing around in the trunk with the nitrus. This was an eye witnessed event with no nitrus. Great time !!! I could only manage a 12.01 because I got kicked off the track for spilling sand which I drove through on the way in ... Yeah bad decion ... Cutouts worked good and were very loud !!!! Fun night !!

R/T .186

60' 1.730

330 4.842

1/8 7.414

MPH 96.25

1000 9.624

1/4 11.487

MPH 121.40

Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Nope, 11.480 without nitrous. Did you let off on the nitrous run? You said you spun which kills the ET but you would expect a lot higher trap.

I've had the title for long enough and have been waiting for some competition. That 11.480 pass was run almost a year ago, alot has changed since then buddy Good luck on saturday, try to also beat my time without nitrous as well. Can't wait to start hitting the track again after you beat my times!!!
I did not let off that I am aware of, but the car actually got turned when I got out of the groove, so i might have let off a tiny bit, but not really sure to be honest. The car does not handle the same with the Mickeys, it's very loose feeling.

Don't worry I'm gonna shoot for the CLK record on all motor, I think it can be done. If not I will take it with the laughing gas for sure. My plan is to make several motor only passes, and then some 50 shot, 75 shot and 100 shot passes. I will document all of them and report back on Sunday.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 AM

CL65
Exactly why I don't go to RT66 anymore.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
PM me your fax number and I will be happy to fax you a copy of the slip and if you click on over to the Black Series forum you will see a thread that someone else from this board started last night stating that he witnessed it and it was indeed motor only. There were seveal guys from this board up there last night....I heard a siver benz ended up in the gravel trap, not sure who it was, but I hope he and his car are OK. People kept coming up to me think it was me.
yeah that was me...I wasn't really paying attention .... I felt really smart after that run.... The gravel scratched the god out of my wheels , I need to have them refinished now .... But it was still good because I got three runs before they were ready to kill me because the sand from all of the body panels kept flying out at the line .... Still a good time to see Jims car run!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I did not let off that I am aware of, but the car actually got turned when I got out of the groove, so i might have let off a tiny bit, but not really sure to be honest. The car does not handle the same with the Mickeys, it's very loose feeling.

Don't worry I'm gonna shoot for the CLK record on all motor, I think it can be done. If not I will take it with the laughing gas for sure. My plan is to make several motor only passes, and then some 50 shot, 75 shot and 100 shot passes. I will document all of them and report back on Sunday.
Hmmm, interesting. Yea the car definitely wont ride the same with MT's out back. Be careful with them on. Are you running ET Streets or full blown slicks? You dont want to mix slicks in the rear with street tires up front. Drag radials are ok.

Awesome, good luck. I know it can be done since your car makes more power than mine did when it ran 11.48 It probably makes more power than my car makes as of right now too. I love seeing benzes hit the dragstrip! You get that 60' down and it's in the bag.

You know what the DA was at the track last night?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
yeah that was me...I wasn't really paying attention .... I felt really smart after that run.... The gravel scratched the god out of my wheels , I need to have them refinished now .... But it was still good because I got three runs before they were ready to kill me because the sand from all of the body panels kept flying out at the line .... Still a good time to see Jims car run!!!
That was you? LOL! Every time you would make a pass they would have to run the sweeper down the track because you were trailing sand and gravel everywhere. You proably cost me 1/10th because my car would get hot from sitting and waiting for them to clean up your mess LOL!

Glad to heart it was nothing serious, all I heard was that some silver M-B hit the gravel traps.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
so how does this 60ft compare to your previous best?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by MarkoCL65
Exactly why I don't go to RT66 anymore.
+1 - The NHRA and these track officials are a bunch of morons, period. It's 2008 for god's sake, get your heads out of your asses and learn something about what is out on the car market today. Does the NHRA really think it is smarter than companies like Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, and Chevrolet, all of whom produce factory cars that would not be NHRA legal run at their full potential?

-m
Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
+1 - The NHRA and these track officials are a bunch of morons, period. It's 2008 for god's sake, get your heads out of your asses and learn something about what is out on the car market today. Does the NHRA really think it is smarter than companies like Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, and Chevrolet, all of whom produce factory cars that would not be NHRA legal run at their full potential?

-m
Our cars are better at taking turns at 150 mph than most of the cars at the track are at going straight.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chiromikey
so how does this 60ft compare to your previous best?
This 60' was a 1.730 and my prvious best was a 1.799, not a whole lot better considering the MT's. I feel I left a lot on the table, I feel the best thing I had going for me was the cool, fairly dry air.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
If my car doesn't break axles I think you will be seeing 1.5x 60's from a CLK pretty soon Maybe even 10's on charger... time will tell, bringin the A game to MIR
Old 08-27-2008, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can anyone tell me what this pass with correct out to or what I would have run at MIR, I don't put much hope on figures or formulas, but I am curious, because I assume BLACKBENZZ's 11.48 was run at MIR. I need to know what to expect and how much more I need. I know I am walking away with the record this weekend, but I would rather have it on a motor only pass and leave the NOS as icing on the cake.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
That was you? LOL! Every time you would make a pass they would have to run the sweeper down the track because you were trailing sand and gravel everywhere. You proably cost me 1/10th because my car would get hot from sitting and waiting for them to clean up your mess LOL!

Glad to heart it was nothing serious, all I heard was that some silver M-B hit the gravel traps.
yeah they were not happy
Old 08-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Congrats, that is a great run.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
This 60' was a 1.730 and my prvious best was a 1.799, not a whole lot better considering the MT's. I feel I left a lot on the table, I feel the best thing I had going for me was the cool, fairly dry air.
do you attribute the better 60ft time to the d/r's or the new technique? based on my experience i'm leaning towards technique. i also wouldn't expect much better unless this new trans company really can remove the tq limiters.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chicago==Route 66 Raceway Test & Tune 8/26/08