Sponsored by:

Ran the GTR at Gainesville Tonight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran the GTR at Gainesville Tonight

Typical night with several cars breaking only allowed us two passes down the strip. Car has only 600 miles so it's still pretty darn tight I'd imagine. Track prep was as expected for street car night, minimal. I honestly spun more on the launch tonight than I did last night on a country road when I was testing out the LC. Didn't even take a tire gauge so pressures on these super hard run flat tires were 32 & 33 all the way around.

12.02 @ 115mph with a 1.8 60'. It's an easy 11 second car with a half decently prepped track and someone taking the time to bleed a few pounds out of the tires. On the old country road last night, car pulled 1.1 G's in acceleration during the launch- pretty strong. Won't be able to get it on a track til we wrap up the Grand Am season in a month.

I think it ran pretty well, LC is really strong, tranny is rather amazing, and as for the rest of it, time will tell. Reminded me of when I first ran the E63 with a few hundred miles on it and couldn't do better than 13.0-13.1.

Recieved the COBB Tuning AccessPort today that for under $1,000, gives another 70rwhp. Stock GTR is only running on 12psi.

We've got two Grand Am races left- Miller in Utah and VIR. If anyone ever wants pit passes or the like, let me know. Keep those Benzes flying!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
Typical night with several cars breaking only allowed us two passes down the strip. Car has only 600 miles so it's still pretty darn tight I'd imagine. Track prep was as expected for street car night, minimal. I honestly spun more on the launch tonight than I did last night on a country road when I was testing out the LC. Didn't even take a tire gauge so pressures on these super hard run flat tires were 32 & 33 all the way around.

12.02 @ 115mph with a 1.8 60'. It's an easy 11 second car with a half decently prepped track and someone taking the time to bleed a few pounds out of the tires. On the old country road last night, car pulled 1.1 G's in acceleration during the launch- pretty strong. Won't be able to get it on a track til we wrap up the Grand Am season in a month.

I think it ran pretty well, LC is really strong, tranny is rather amazing, and as for the rest of it, time will tell. Reminded me of when I first ran the E63 with a few hundred miles on it and couldn't do better than 13.0-13.1.

Recieved the COBB Tuning AccessPort today that for under $1,000, gives another 70rwhp. Stock GTR is only running on 12psi.

We've got two Grand Am races left- Miller in Utah and VIR. If anyone ever wants pit passes or the like, let me know. Keep those Benzes flying!

Cool man, nice runs.

what was the temp?

My buddy Donald Sutherland drives his GTR daily to work and the tires on his car are super sticky, brand is slipping but they sure seemed like r comps, maybe yokos..hmmm

Do you feels the tires failed you? I imagined that car would have tremendous trackability.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
doesn't sound too bad considering the launch and lack of traction. looking forward to your next installment.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
unless weather is playing a huge role that trap is a little normal
I know that bad launch can effect et, but your trap will still be high if u have power?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Just out of curiousity, how long does the LC take to setup? Was wondering if you could do it at a stoplight situation on the fly.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tires didn't fail, just not good traction on street car night is all. LC takes about 5 seconds to get setup.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Pit passes at VIR? When is this? I may go down for that.

Nice runs with the GTR. 70whp with just tuning? Damn I wish I had turbos
Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's the Grand Am KONI Challenge finale the first weekend of October. Two 6 hour races plus GT Live, etc.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Dang it!!! Your Utah trip always seems to fall around my kids birthday. Got family in town from New York etc etc.

Someday I'll catch up with ya D!!

Congrats on the GTR.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Congrats, that is the fastest e/t I have seen out of a stock GTR. You must have got one of the "fast ones" everyone is talking about.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jrcart
Congrats, that is the fastest e/t I have seen out of a stock GTR. You must have got one of the "fast ones" everyone is talking about.
The LC on this car is VERY strong. If I had to guess, the folks you've seen didn't know how to engage it. It's not in the manual. The trap speed is relatively close to an E55 running mid 12's so the LC is likely what makes the difference.

Now sir, time for you and I to meet up on something with twisties.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series

I'm going up to run at Brainerd next week, come on up and run with us. I assume since it appears you are running the Mazda series you have run at Brainerd, if not be sure you pack the big carbide steel *****, turns one and two are the ultimate test, there's nothing like the feeling of turn 1 anywhere else in the world.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jrcart
I'm going up to run at Brainerd next week, come on up and run with us. I assume since it appears you are running the Mazda series you have run at Brainerd, if not be sure you pack the big carbide steel *****, turns one and two are the ultimate test, there's nothing like the feeling of turn 1 anywhere else in the world.
1st FSU home game, daughter's first birthday, crew just ran Iowa, Montreal, and two in New Jersey all in the month of August, can't make it. Never been there. We run Mazda MX5's in Grand Am. Sounds like a fun track.

I'll be in your neck of the woods later this year at the Autobahn. As for *****, I got more of that than talent!

HD- http://www.whitisconsulting.com/vide...ASA07-2008.wmv

SD- http://www.whitisconsulting.com/vide...A07-2008hq.wmv
Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The LC on this car is VERY strong. If I had to guess, the folks you've seen didn't know how to engage it. It's not in the manual. The trap speed is relatively close to an E55 running mid 12's so the LC is likely what makes the difference.

Have you thought about changing out the run flats? I had a BMW with run flats and hated them: heavy, hard, no traction, no slide control. I assume it would make a huge difference on the GTR.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by indyjoe
Have you thought about changing out the run flats? I had a BMW with run flats and hated them: heavy, hard, no traction, no slide control. I assume it would make a huge difference on the GTR.
Yes sir, I agree with you. This was the baseline run without changing a thing. From here we'll start doing our tweaks.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Yes sir, I agree with you. This was the baseline run without changing a thing. From here we'll start doing our tweaks.
I know a lot of people are hating on this car, so it will be interesting to see how it performs over time. I think the COBB GTR ran low 11's with just the ECU flash you're getting and modified exhaust.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:01 PM

SOLD 04 E55 Now 93 w124 3.2 sold W210 E55 sold waiting on W211 E63 p030
Any pics?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by DerekFSU;3032301[B
]1st FSU home game[/B], daughter's first birthday, crew just ran Iowa, Montreal, and two in New Jersey all in the month of August, can't make it. Never been there. We run Mazda MX5's in Grand Am. Sounds like a fun track.

I'll be in your neck of the woods later this year at the Autobahn. As for *****, I got more of that than talent!

HD- http://www.whitisconsulting.com/vide...ASA07-2008.wmv

SD- http://www.whitisconsulting.com/vide...A07-2008hq.wmv
For those of you who don't know, FSU is the girls team and the Florida Gators is the Boys Team down there in Gainesville!!! I am surprised they didn't run that Nissan out of town with all them Seminole stickers on it!!

I used to run the Neon Cup against those pesky MX-5s in a Neon ACR. Miata, great car, even greater handling, about as neutral as you'll ever get!! All Mazda needs to do NOW is add a lil bit more power!! We couldn't get em on the corners BUT always got em on the straights!!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
As for *****, I got more of that than talent!
Hey Derek
You and me both.... LOL - hope to join you in one of your Koni ST's real soon

Danny Steyn
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
For those of you who don't know, FSU is the girls team and the Florida Gators is the Boys Team down there in Gainesville!!! I am surprised they didn't run that Nissan out of town with all them Seminole stickers on it!!

I used to run the Neon Cup against those pesky MX-5s in a Neon ACR. Miata, great car, even greater handling, about as neutral as you'll ever get!! All Mazda needs to do NOW is add a lil bit more power!! We couldn't get em on the corners BUT always got em on the straights!!
He's exactly right. While he was spending all his college time with other men at UF, I chose a school with more girls than guys, guess I'm the nutty one.

While we run miatas in club racing, the Grand Am cars have about 80 more hp to the wheels and lots of suspension tweaks as well.

Danny, great to see you as always. Miller is the only race left where we have a car available, I think.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 AM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Thumbs up E55 Times!

Tires didn't fail, just not good traction on street car night is all. LC takes about 5 seconds to get setup.
I see you still have that E55 on the juice record on your post. Do you think the GTR will achieve that or something close?

Good to see your doing well!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:29 AM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking Well my buddy's are!

Originally Posted by juicee63
Cool man, nice runs.

what was the temp?

My buddy Donald Sutherland drives his GTR daily to work and the tires on his car are super sticky, brand is slipping but they sure seemed like r comps, maybe yokos..hmmm

Do you feels the tires failed you? I imagined that car would have tremendous trackability.
Dang Juicee dropping names again. Next thing he'll be doing is giving rides to Obama or somebody like that.

Hey Juicee I once got Linda Lovelace's autograph at a **** convention in Vegas. Can I hang out with you and Donald?

Just kidding old Juice, good to see your still around!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by deaguero
Dang Juicee dropping names again. Next thing he'll be doing is giving rides to Obama or somebody like that.

Hey Juicee I once got Linda Lovelace's autograph at a **** convention in Vegas. Can I hang out with you and Donald?

Just kidding old Juice, good to see your still around!
Donald loves driving FAST he actually owns a 7.2L Benz. He was trying to sell it to me. LOL

Make sure you WATCH DIRTY SEXY MONEY, Oct 1st ABC

The GTR is his new favorite car, he thinks it is faster than my 63 but he is mistaken.

I definately like the way it looks , and imagine with a driverlike Derek it can be a serious race car.
comon down and meet Donald , bring the fam
Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking I'll take you up on that old friend!

Originally Posted by juicee63
Donald loves driving FAST he actually owns a 7.2L Benz. He was trying to sell it to me. LOL

Make sure you WATCH DIRTY SEXY MONEY, Oct 1st ABC

The GTR is his new favorite car, he thinks it is faster than my 63 but he is mistaken.

I definately like the way it looks , and imagine with a driverlike Derek it can be a serious race car.
comon down and meet Donald , bring the fam
BTW, I have some old Beta **** movies for you if you want them

Seriously it would be cool to see you sometime and have lunch or just hang out!

I asked Derek if he thought he could get the GTR to match or beat his E55 time on the juice which ran at 10.95 and 131mph. Boy that was a real fast 55 even with NOS.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by deaguero
I asked Derek if he thought he could get the GTR to match or beat his E55 time on the juice which ran at 10.95 and 131mph. Boy that was a real fast 55 even with NOS.
Eventually, it'll be faster overall. It weights 500lbs less and makes close to the same power plus has launch control- it had better!