W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:32 AM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
If the tcu/ecu tunes do everything claimed, I don't think the price is too unreasonable. It certainly sounds like a very comprehensive package considering the items offered. I would like to know more about the adaptive mod. Do you turn it off completely or do you set it to re-set itself?
Regarding the trans adaptives, we basically "disable" them to ~10-20% of what the OEM tune supplies. That's as far as we can go without causing issues in other areas of the tune.

Thanks!
Andy
Old 09-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Nice to see some movement. I'd have to agree that the pricing would be reasonable IF the ECU/TCU are being tuned nicely and truly deliver what Andy claims. For now, nobody has offered us that much at a low price. Let us wait and see.

Andy: If you want to do ECU and TCU, then how would you get a custom tune without the car to datalog or dyno? I could understand you having ECU/TCU for OEM cars but what of modded ones? Will you eventually have an ECU file that corresponds to each mod pair (i.e. stages)?

Waiting for more...
Old 09-13-2008, 01:05 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
Nice to see some movement. I'd have to agree that the pricing would be reasonable IF the ECU/TCU are being tuned nicely and truly deliver what Andy claims. For now, nobody has offered us that much at a low price. Let us wait and see.
Thanks jangy.

Andy: If you want to do ECU and TCU, then how would you get a custom tune without the car to datalog or dyno? I could understand you having ECU/TCU for OEM cars but what of modded ones? Will you eventually have an ECU file that corresponds to each mod pair (i.e. stages)?

Waiting for more...
That's correct. If you're highly modded we'll simply refine your tune (based on the data you log and send us) until it's where it needs to be. Honestly though we can get you 90% of where you need to be (based on our past tuning experience) the first time.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
Thanks jangy.

That's correct. If you're highly modded we'll simply refine your tune (based on the data you log and send us) until it's where it needs to be. Honestly though we can get you 90% of where you need to be (based on our past tuning experience) the first time.

Thanks
Andy
Got it, so I generate the data (A/Fs, etc.) and you use them to take a best shot and then will optimize if need be? Like Powerchip or any tuner.

I think you need to do some comparisons of the components. An ECU tune is easy access. If you can show that you have better QT management than Powerchips current 55K tune, then you will make half of me a believer. I've always said you got the skills just wondered if youd had the time. I still wonder that. Wasn't it developed in only 3 weeks?

Again, good luck to you and I'd be happy to have my car as a stake in the ground for any guys getting the mods done out here. thericker would be a good one. He would love to beat me.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:16 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Got it, so I generate the data (A/Fs, etc.) and you use them to take a best shot and then will optimize if need be? Like Powerchip or any tuner.
Yes, I would send you a list of PIDs to log and using that info we can dial you in.

I think you need to do some comparisons of the components. An ECU tune is easy access. If you can show that you have better QT management than Powerchips current 55K tune, then you will make half of me a believer. I've always said you got the skills just wondered if youd had the time. I still wonder that. Wasn't it developed in only 3 weeks?
I'm all for comparisons. Let's make it happen. Can you find me a powerchips ECU only E55 to compare to, then another stocker willing to use my tuning? I guess we could also compare cars with just a pulley (same pulley) as well since most modaholics are making more boost than stock anyway.
Total development time has been around the clock for months. These last 3 weeks have been spent on finalizing base cals.

Again, good luck to you and I'd be happy to have my car as a stake in the ground for any guys getting the mods done out here. thericker would be a good one. He would love to beat me.
Thanks jangy I appreciate your comments and no hard feelings about our first thread together lol. It's all water under the bridge
Old 09-13-2008, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Andy,

This sounds very exciting. I'm sorry we haven't been able to get in touch however I remain interested in seeing what you guys will be capable of. I think I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say that we would love to see conclusive data of the products you offer, including videos, graphs, etc.

While I don't question your capabilities, you are making some bold claims against some of your competing well respected, well funded tuners, so it's obvious we'll just want to see some more definitive data asap!

Definitely an exciting time for us AMGers, it seems like the aftermarket is really starting to open up.

-m
Old 09-13-2008, 02:56 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Andy,

This sounds very exciting. I'm sorry we haven't been able to get in touch however I remain interested in seeing what you guys will be capable of. I think I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say that we would love to see conclusive data of the products you offer, including videos, graphs, etc.

While I don't question your capabilities, you are making some bold claims against some of your competing well respected, well funded tuners, so it's obvious we'll just want to see some more definitive data asap!

Definitely an exciting time for us AMGers, it seems like the aftermarket is really starting to open up.

-m
Marcus,
No problem. We look forward to bringing top shelf products to Mercedes AMG owners and beyond in the coming months. I hear you on the data, we set lofty goals for ourselves and have done and will continue to do everything we can to attain and even surpass them. No question the next few weeks are going to be very exciting.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:22 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
I have a stock E55 that's willing to test just a TCM initially. He's going to get before/after track and dyno numbers. He will then test the ECU/TCU together and we'll revise the TCU (for the ECU) at that time as well (still stage I). We have decided to sell supercharged V8 and turbocharged V12 TCUs seperately only if you're running a stock ECU tune. For liability reasons we cannot sell a TCU tune to a potential customer with a ECU modified by another aftermarket tuner. All 63s will still be complete driveline tuning only.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
We'll consider it to be the mbworld.org GP discount for now--as in you must be a registered member of this site to get it.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Question

Andy,

Back in May I ended up getting a VRP pulley with their ECU tuning. One of the main reasons I decided to go with VRP was their work with Powerchip in overcoming the load limiters in the ECU cutting power when boost got too high. I'm not sure if it was a big deal for the '03 guys, but it seemed to really affect the guys running around in the '06s (correct me if I'm wrong here y'all). Anyway, my question is, would it be safe to assume your ECU tune accounts for this issue as well?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2008, 03:53 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Andy,

Back in May I ended up getting a VRP pulley with their ECU tuning. One of the main reasons I decided to go with VRP was their work with Powerchip in overcoming the load limiters in the ECU cutting power when boost got too high. I'm not sure if it was a big deal for the '03 guys, but it seemed to really affect the guys running around in the '06s (correct me if I'm wrong here y'all). Anyway, my question is, would it be safe to assume your ECU tune accounts for this issue as well?

Thanks!
Absolutely, there is significant tq managment in both the ECU and TCU and it was one of the if not the first issue we addressed. Care to test your Powerchip ECU tune vs mine? Do you have access to a track or dyno?

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-13-2008, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MHP
Absolutely, there is significant tq managment in both the ECU and TCU and it was one of the if not the first issue we addressed. Care to test your Powerchip ECU tune vs mine? Do you have access to a track or dyno?

Thanks
Andy
I do have access to a track as well as a dyno. However, living here in Phoenix pretty much means I was waiting along with the other AZ guys on running out to the track until the weather gets a little cooler. Also, my stock runs were pretty crappy so I can't wait to get some "real" numbers.

I do have a dyno run before/after when Vadim did my work. I don't recall the dyno type, but my numbers came in at 468hp/510tq although, the A/F mixture wasn't on the sheet. Is there a particular dyno you'd be interested in for a run? I assume Dynojet from one of your earlier posts?
Old 09-13-2008, 04:15 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
I do have access to a track as well as a dyno. However, living here in Phoenix pretty much means I was waiting along with the other AZ guys on running out to the track until the weather gets a little cooler. Also, my stock runs were pretty crappy so I can't wait to get some "real" numbers.

I do have a dyno run before/after when Vadim did my work. I don't recall the dyno type, but my numbers came in at 468hp/510tq although, the A/F mixture wasn't on the sheet. Is there a particular dyno you'd be interested in for a run? I assume Dynojet from one of your earlier posts?
Gotcha on the track portion, DA sucks everywhere this time of year except the East Coast.
Yes, a DynoJet 248 with SAE correction set on 5 (so spikes don't count) in fourth gear. Say 3 runs with each tune?
When can you get me your ECU?
Old 09-13-2008, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I have no ill will toward ya man...

I love to street race for grins you know that, lets get it done now while I only have straight pipes/Torco
Old 09-13-2008, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by MHP
Regarding the trans adaptives, we basically "disable" them to ~10-20% of what the OEM tune supplies. That's as far as we can go without causing issues in other areas of the tune.

Thanks!
Andy
Hi Andy....... any chance you can post a video of your C63's shift point from 1st to 2nd gear when in sport mode at full throttle? I'd really like to see at what rpm it'll shift that 1st to 2nd gear.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 AM

Ford 4x4, daily
Originally Posted by MHP
For liability reasons we cannot sell a TCU tune to a potential customer with a ECU modified by another aftermarket tuner. All 63s will still be complete driveline tuning only.
would one be able to get an ecu and tcu tune from you if they decide to upgrade their past modified tune to your tune?

if they keep their other ecu tune its no sell.
if they upgrade their other ecu tune to your ecu tune and then purchase your tcu tune as well? would this work?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MHP
Ok, after mulling over the differences in prices for the platforms, done. 600TTs are now $6000.

Do you have access to a track and DynoJet Dyno? PM me if you do.

Thanks
Andy
Do you have a built in $1500 AMG luxury tax on the other models as well? Are you going to drop the pricing across the board after the initial suckerrrrrr......... I mean customers purchase the GB?
Old 09-13-2008, 10:18 AM

2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Kleemann ECU TUNE

Originally Posted by chiromikey
of course i've checked afr's and it is a bit rich but nowhere near 9's...it drops just below 11 at the very top. however imho, timing is more important and there have been enough tuners around here that have gotten a bit too aggressive and blown motors because of it. so i don't mind leaving a few hp on the table in favor of reliability. 85k miles on the odo, with 50k being fully modded and thoroughly enjoying it most of the time, says something about reliability (knock wood ).

also, in the thermalnator thread, i do recall you stating that your prices would be more fair than your competition so i am disappointed by the price increase and forced bundle. i guess there's no getting away from our amg/idiot tax.
Hey Mike,

I can't wait to put 50,000 more miles on my car with my Kleemann ECU tune. That will be a lot of miles with a HUGE GRIN on my face. Thanks for your testimony of the Kleemann product. I feel a whole lot better about my choice with Cory. So far, not one cell light or any issues with all of my mods, similar to yours. BTW, we will have a great heads up race at MIR. Do you agree??
Old 09-13-2008, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Andy, after reading the thread and talking to Bruce from TTM about you and all the great work that you've done, I'm sold!

Originally Posted by MHP
600s: $6000.00, Full Stage I (+Filters, Thermalnators): $6250.00 shipped.
Talk to me about the filters and the Thermalnators... BMC Filters? How long until the Thermalnators are available? I saw the one's that you made for the 63 BS and they are niceeee.

Originally Posted by MHP
Ok, after mulling over the differences in prices for the platforms, done. 600TTs are now $6000.

Do you have access to a track and DynoJet Dyno? PM me if you do.
Bruce and I are also installing new air boxes (when available), secondary heat exchanger and high-flow pump, intercooler coolant lines are getting re-routed and we're doing a custom 3.5" cat-back exhaust married to Meisterschaft cans... with your tuning package I think my car will be a force to be reckoned with... agree?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:42 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
$5k-$8k just for tuning. WOWWW

Talk about sticker shock!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:42 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Hi Andy....... any chance you can post a video of your C63's shift point from 1st to 2nd gear when in sport mode at full throttle? I'd really like to see at what rpm it'll shift that 1st to 2nd gear.
Yes, absolutely. I'll post vids from the track as well this week.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:42 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by richtor
would one be able to get an ecu and tcu tune from you if they decide to upgrade their past modified tune to your tune?

if they keep their other ecu tune its no sell.
if they upgrade their other ecu tune to your ecu tune and then purchase your tcu tune as well? would this work?
Yes, we can flash over anyone else's tune so that's not a problem.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 12:43 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by indyjoe
Do you have a built in $1500 AMG luxury tax on the other models as well? Are you going to drop the pricing across the board after the initial suckerrrrrr......... I mean customers purchase the GB?
What models are you referring to? We can tune more than the models listed above, so PM with specific apps if you have questions.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-13-2008, 12:47 PM

2004 E55 AMG
$6k...that's four times as much as the guys with a reputation rape you for.

As my father always told me...talk is for philosophers and poets, the real world is about results.

That tune would have to be good for 100 real world HP all by itelf to be equal to everyone else in price for performance. And thats still just average.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:47 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Oxygen
Andy, after reading the thread and talking to Bruce from TTM about you and all the great work that you've done, I'm sold!

Talk to me about the filters and the Thermalnators... BMC Filters? How long until the Thermalnators are available? I saw the one's that you made for the 63 BS and they are niceeee.
Bruce is a great guy, I'm glad we had the chance to talk over the past few days and look forward to working with him/TTM in the future. We haven't decided on what filters we're going to use. I'm currently running K&Ns, but am going to try two other types in the next two weeks. I don't expect any one to be notably better than the other so we may offer a few different options based on personal preferences.
All 6.2s/63s use the same Thermalnator gaskets which are in stock and ready to go.

Bruce and I are also installing new air boxes (when available), secondary heat exchanger and high-flow pump, intercooler coolant lines are getting re-routed and we're doing a custom 3.5" cat-back exhaust married to Meisterschaft cans... with your tuning package I think my car will be a force to be reckoned with... agree?
Absolutely. Anything you can do to open up the inlet track of a PD blower equipped vehicle will make power, though even without the boxes your car will RIP with our driveline tuning.

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)