W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:49 PM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CWW
$5k-$8k just for tuning. WOWWW

Talk about sticker shock!
Like I said, you won't need anything else but tuning to put a HUGE smile on your face.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:51 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Wryfox
$6k...that's four times as much as the guys with a reputation rape you for.

As my father always told me...talk is for philosophers and poets, the real world is about results.

That tune would have to be good for 100 real world HP all by itelf to be equal to everyone else in price for performance. And thats still just average.
The other guys don't do complete driveline tuning, you can't even begin to compare our ECU + TCU tunes to anyone else's ECU tuning. I agree with your father, it's all about the results and I think most if not all will have much less of an issue with the pricing after they are released.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 12:57 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
I'll be away from the computer for the rest of the day but will respond to further posts no later than tomorrow.

Go Bucks!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
good stuff. cant wait to see results. keep up the good work!
Old 09-13-2008, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by MHP
I'll be away from the computer for the rest of the day but will respond to further posts no later than tomorrow.

Go Bucks!

Basketball season is over,

If you are referring to the OSU BUCKEYES, well they are likely gonna have a looooooong painful journey back to Ohio.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by juicee63

If you are referring to the OSU BUCKEYES, well they are likely gonna have a looooooong painful journey back to Ohio.
I'm a Buckeye alum but I'll have to painfully agree.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
I think you guys should have posted results prior to pricing for obvious reasons...
Old 09-13-2008, 07:01 PM

E55
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB
I think you guys should have posted results prior to pricing for obvious reasons...
+1. However, it is creating a lot of chatter though. I am personally most interested in throttle blipping TCU.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
I will wait for vid and numbers and then probably be one of the ones that are in the running for it...

What are you planing on doing with cars that are more than stage 1?
Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Ford 4x4, daily
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
I will wait for vid and numbers and then probably be one of the ones that are in the running for it...

What are you planing on doing with cars that are more than stage 1?
Thanks
i am not sure of all of andy's plans but he is the one that had a 5.5 dohc purpose built motor running 550rwhp n/a for his 98 snake! full exhaust, heads, cams, etc...i am sure are all on the drawing board.

what can he do with more cubes????
Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by richtor
what can he do with more cubes????
Bore it out?
Old 09-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Ford 4x4, daily
Originally Posted by jangy
Bore it out?
5.5L ~ 550rwhp +
6.2L ~ ???(i would not be surprised at 600rwhp or more n/a with this motor)
Old 09-14-2008, 02:46 AM

CLK63 BS AUDI S5 AUDI Q7 4.2 SLine C230 Sport 2010 ML 350
Originally Posted by richtor
5.5L ~ 550rwhp +
6.2L ~ ???(i would not be surprised at 600rwhp or more n/a with this motor)
Well well well - it seems from the tone of most of you on this board except for the usual suspects that the MHP transformation is almost complete.
And by transformed I mean from non-believing know nothing S-talkers to bonafide Gol-lyyy Andy believers. Funny somehow i knew the guy was the real deal just by listening to his technical knowledge on some of the posts and doin a little internet homework.
I can't wait till the results are posted then everybody can eat a S--- sandwich.
As for the rest of you - i've never even spoken to Andy but I would tell you this Andy - i wouldn't even bother responding anymore to most of those guys - there are people on this forum that will always have something to say - anything actually and will never be happy or satisfied even if you were going out and giving ecu/tcu tunes for Christmas.
As far as the Renntechers and all the associated bally-ho - if it was 6k from Renntech (woooooohhhh RENNTECH! WOOPIE!!!) it would somehow be a bargain and a technological breakthrough.
Let me know what real technological innovations Renntech has come up with hmmm .... well i'm waiting. I'll be waiting for awhile cause there are none - wake up fellas - Renntech stamps there name on 90% of other peoples products and probably does little to none of their own R&D - what they do have is great PR and great Customer service and plenty of people who know nothing about cars or are about as creative as an etch a sketch and wouldnt know how to do their own project with Bob Villa and Time/Life books overseeing it. Lets not for get that Helmet Head or whtvr his name isused to run AMG like a hundred years ago when AMG was about as popular and relevant as a 50yr old Madonna. SO I for one can't wait for the results so the official back pedaling and sucking up begins. Line forms to the left boys - get your check books out - looks like MHP has come to town. BOO-YAH!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G55
wow - so your TCU tuning on a Jeep SRT8 is $600 and for a AMG 55 it's $6000 ( well with bonus of a filter and a heatpad)
Old 09-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html

1)12.310*#116.010 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 2008 NA
2)12.510*#113.520 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 2008 NA
3)12.890*#111.440 8.390 86.360 2.046 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 2009 MHP

The three C63s listed are identified as being stock (including MHP). Wednesday at Norwalk is predicted to be clear and cool. From what Andy has told me, you will be blown away!!!!!!.......... that is if his claims hold up at the track. I won't give you his predicted et and trap speed (I'll let Andy do that) but I will tell you, if he delivers, he will not have any problem selling his mods to the "63 guys" at his asking price.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
In for results
Old 09-14-2008, 10:58 AM

2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Test Case for your ECU/TCU

Hello Andy,

Look, I would offer my E55 as a test case for you. I am a regular at the track and I have been very transparent about my mods and results. If you do a little research, you will know that I live close to one of the best and fastest tracks in the country, New England Dragway. My times and trap are very well established and known to all.

Lets do a little test with my E55 and see some real results for everyone to see. I believe I would be the best representative of a highly modified E55 and what your ECU/TCU tune can do.

You let me know if you would like to use my vehicle as a test case for the E55family. Just look at my signature and you will know everything about my car. I can go to the track anytime and work with you and post up REAL TIME RESULTS. However, I would be OBLIGATED to post times and traps REGARDLESS OF RESULTS!!! You would have to agree to that stipulation.

Just respond via this thread or PM and we can have further discussions.

Roland
Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 AM

2006 E55
I applaud your approach. Look forward to seeing the results. The tranny is major weakspot in the E55.

I had a 2003 ford lightning that I had tuned with a 2lb pulley. My favorate part of the tune was the elimanation of the torque reduction between shifts. The E55 feels like its doing the same thing reducing torque esp between 1-2.

I want to comment on the pricing and offer some perspective. It sounds like you really put the effort in to development. It also sounds like what you have to offer is not available anywhere else. Because of this you have priced it at a premium.

As you sell these "kits" you are looking to make money from the time you invested into the design and tuning. The actual labor form the "flash" part is insignifigent imho. I disagree with your approach as to the how to make the most from your work product. In the end you deserve to make the most $$$ for your efforts.

Looking at only the "E55" market I see that many of these cars are owned by second gen owners who's pockets are not as deep as the first gen owners who may have been more willing to spend a premium on kleeman and renntech. The demographics of who owns these cars now suggests that they are more willing to mod but approach things with tighter financial constraints.

Another problem I see is that most of your target audience has already invested in some form of IC, pulley and tune. Not many of us waiting on the sidelines for a "better" mousetrap. Because of the way you priced your product you will have a hard time converting exsisting owners of tunes to convert to yours. Those that are currently stock are still stock most likely because of cost associated with the upgrades not the quailty of available tunes. This puts your product out of reach even further.

In your shoes I would be thinking more about how to price the product so I could move more volume thus ending up with the greater return on your investment. Lets for argument sake assume the package was $3K instead of $6K. Would you move twice as much product? If so the net profits would be the same. Now if that price reduction resulted in moving 4 times more product you would experance twice the profits from you efforts.

I wish you the best in your efforts to penetrate the MB aftermarket. Just wanted to offer you my 2 cents without the normal "price is to high" response. Most people that excel in the technical side of things fall short when it comes time to market said product. It would be wise to discuss the matter with someone who truely understand marketing and view the "price to high" feedback not with insult for your efforts but understanding that this is my target market giving me feedback.

Tom

Last edited by C32madness; 09-14-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:48 AM

2004 E55 AMG
"Most people that excel in the technical side of things fall short when it comes time to market said product".

Bingo..Marketing 102 says never let engineers run your business. Get a *knowledgeable* and *impartial* professional to do the marketing strategy.

Too many good guys with great ideas listen to themselves too much or their backers and and can't see the forest for the trees.

Look how easily you relented on the TT pricing. It proves you have no idea what your doing.

You may have the best idea out there but if no one buys it it is useless.

Don't be another fantastic idea lost to history. It happens ALL THE TIME.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by higginsbeach
Hello Andy,

Look, I would offer my E55 as a test case for you. I am a regular at the track and I have been very transparent about my mods and results. If you do a little research, you will know that I live close to one of the best and fastest tracks in the country, New England Dragway. My times and trap are very well established and known to all.

Lets do a little test with my E55 and see some real results for everyone to see. I believe I would be the best representative of a highly modified E55 and what your ECU/TCU tune can do.

You let me know if you would like to use my vehicle as a test case for the E55family. Just look at my signature and you will know everything about my car. I can go to the track anytime and work with you and post up REAL TIME RESULTS. However, I would be OBLIGATED to post times and traps REGARDLESS OF RESULTS!!! You would have to agree to that stipulation.

Just respond via this thread or PM and we can have further discussions.

Roland
On that note, I would consider testing the MHP programming mods on my bone stock E55. My car is mechanically and electronically as it was delivered from the factory. I have a stack of slips from local tracks with a good sampling of weather.

I have absolutely no loyalty to any after market tuner or supplier. To the contrary, I have steered clear because I have seen tuners come and go, and leave blown motors and unsatisfied customers behind in the process.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by C32madness
I applaud your approach. Look forward to seeing the results. The tranny is major weakspot in the E55.

I had a 2003 ford lightning that I had tuned with a 2lb pulley. My favorite part of the tune was the elimination of the torque reduction between shifts. The E55 feels like its doing the same thing reducing torque esp between 1-2.

I want to comment on the pricing and offer some perspective. It sounds like you really put the effort in to development. It also sounds like what you have to offer is not available anywhere else. Because of this you have priced it at a premium.

As you sell these "kits" you are looking to make money from the time you invested into the design and tuning. The actual labor form the "flash" part is insignifigent imho. I disagree with your approach as to the how to make the most from your work product. In the end you deserve to make the most $$$ for your efforts.

Looking at only the "E55" market I see that many of these cars are owned by second gen owners who's pockets are not as deep as the first gen owners who may have been more willing to spend a premium on kleeman and renntech. The demographics of who owns these cars now suggests that they are more willing to mod but approach things with tighter financial constraints.

Another problem I see is that most of your target audience has already invested in some form of IC, pulley and tune. Not many of us waiting on the sidelines for a "better" mousetrap. Because of the way you priced your product you will have a hard time converting existing owners of tunes to convert to yours. Those that are currently stock are still stock most likely because of cost associated with the upgrades not the quality of available tunes. This puts your product out of reach even further.

In your shoes I would be thinking more about how to price the product so I could move more volume thus ending up with the greater return on your investment. Lets for argument sake assume the package was $3K instead of $6K. Would you move twice as much product? If so the net profits would be the same. Now if that price reduction resulted in moving 4 times more product you would experance twice the profits from you efforts.

I wish you the best in your efforts to penetrate the MB aftermarket. Just wanted to offer you my 2 cents without the normal "price is to high" response. Most people that excel in the technical side of things fall short when it comes time to market said product. It would be wise to discuss the matter with someone who truely understand marketing and view the "price to high" feedback not with insult for your efforts but understanding that this is my target market giving me feedback.

Tom
Wrong on some points and obviously right on others. There are a "huge" number of first and second generation owners that would "absolutely love" to go for mods such as this. Who wouldn't mod for guaranteed increases and no loss of warranty at a reasonable price?

The problem is, some tuners don't package the product correctly. We are constantly barraged by offers that seem to "gouge" the consumer and promise only the "hope" of increases in HP/Torque. Also, tuners are impatient to go to the market without "documented" test results.

In this case, there is no proven record, just clever "shop talk" and the prices in this post are "higher" than the first post. WTF? Believe me, if we knew what our $$ would deliver and were guaranteed the result, the product/service would be 25% or less of these proposed prices and everyone would be happy.

You are right on the flash time that is involved, why else would a tuner have your ECU by 10:00 AM and ship it back the same day? Further, I don't understand why the ECU doesn't have to be flashed back to stock as others have noted consistently.

I only suggest that Andy offer some "skinny" deals at first. If those customers are happy and write about it, the orders will flood in. Offer something like the first 10-15 to Paypal the $$ get the product at 25% of the prices listed. Also, this group would have an unconditional 90 day money back guarantee no questions asked. Furthermore, note that new products always seem to be offered at a "special introductory price". This doesn't appear to be the case. Please?

Finally, what I just don't understand is why the collective experience of those already tuning have not taken a turn down this road. Nada, none. Just seems so speculative, so I'm sure we are eagerly awaiting the feedback of the first "test group".

Don't get this post wrong, I am still interested and look forward to a positive outcome.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Excited to see results just like the rest.

Feel like we've been kept in modding prison for too long. Be cool for someone to come along and bust this modding world wide open.

So many fly by nights have come and gone so forgive the guys for being leary. Once the proof rolls in, people will start to come on board albeit slowly due to the 6k tags.

Gotta be some good results though bro. .1-.2 in the 1/4 or 15hp over what most tuners deliver for 6k.......

you may have to don the fire suit.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 09-14-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Rock
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html

1)12.310*#116.010 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 2008 NA
2)12.510*#113.520 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 2008 NA
3)12.890*#111.440 8.390 86.360 2.046 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 2009 MHP

The three C63s listed are identified as being stock (including MHP). Wednesday at Norwalk is predicted to be clear and cool. From what Andy has told me, you will be blown away!!!!!!.......... that is if his claims hold up at the track. I won't give you his predicted et and trap speed (I'll let Andy do that) but I will tell you, if he delivers, he will not have any problem selling his mods to the "63 guys" at his asking price.
Only one of those entries is Legit, an actual pass on a track with a TIMESLIP!
That belongs to MHP.

The other two runs are from MAGAZINE tests.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:41 PM

2007 E63 AMG, 2009 V-Max
[QUOTE=sack5000;3052479]Wrong on some points and obviously right on others. There are a "huge" number of first and second generation owners that would "absolutely love" to go for mods such as this. Who wouldn't mod for guaranteed increases and no loss of warranty at a reasonable price?

Is "no loss of warranty" a fact? I was under the impression that once the dealer realizes that the ECU/TCU has been altered the warranty is lost, except for Renntech, which can be installed by the dealer.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by JT55
Well well well - it seems from the tone of most of you on this board except for the usual suspects that the MHP transformation is almost complete.
And by transformed I mean from non-believing know nothing S-talkers to bonafide Gol-lyyy Andy believers. Funny somehow i knew the guy was the real deal just by listening to his technical knowledge on some of the posts and doin a little internet homework.
I can't wait till the results are posted then everybody can eat a S--- sandwich.
As for the rest of you - i've never even spoken to Andy but I would tell you this Andy - i wouldn't even bother responding anymore to most of those guys - there are people on this forum that will always have something to say - anything actually and will never be happy or satisfied even if you were going out and giving ecu/tcu tunes for Christmas.
As far as the Renntechers and all the associated bally-ho - if it was 6k from Renntech (woooooohhhh RENNTECH! WOOPIE!!!) it would somehow be a bargain and a technological breakthrough.
Let me know what real technological innovations Renntech has come up with hmmm .... well i'm waiting. I'll be waiting for awhile cause there are none - wake up fellas - Renntech stamps there name on 90% of other peoples products and probably does little to none of their own R&D - what they do have is great PR and great Customer service and plenty of people who know nothing about cars or are about as creative as an etch a sketch and wouldnt know how to do their own project with Bob Villa and Time/Life books overseeing it. Lets not for get that Helmet Head or whtvr his name isused to run AMG like a hundred years ago when AMG was about as popular and relevant as a 50yr old Madonna. SO I for one can't wait for the results so the official back pedaling and sucking up begins. Line forms to the left boys - get your check books out - looks like MHP has come to town. BOO-YAH!!!
why are you trying to start this crap all over again...did you not learn anything from the other LOCKED thread? besides, you obviously know very little about the topics you're bringing up so just let it go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)