W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by JT55
...It would stand to reason by simple logic that the reason it costs more to tune a ECU/TCU from MB than Chrysler would be because the core market for such a tune is alot less for MB's than for Chryslers. So if you invested say 100k in this and the potential number of customers is perhaps 1% of all 63 owners how many could you possibly sell?
Now apply that same 1% to Chryslers the numbers would undoubtedly be higher because there are more Chryslers made than 63 MB's.
The same goes for Headers and everything else. Evosport charges 12k for the full exhaust. YOU can buy a full exhaust for a Mustang for probably 2k. (just guessing) I don't hear anyone screamin ab Evosport and their prices or any of the other tuners...
you and i buried the hatchet so this is not an attack or rebuttal as much as it is an fyi.

i ran the production numbers last year and there wasn't that much of a difference between total srt8's and amg's. and in this conversation, srt8's are really what we're referring to when we say "chrysler".

btw, i did scream about evosport's, supersprint's, et al's prices about headers...which is why mine are custom!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
We need to get this thead on TRACK . Enough *****ing I get that from my WIFE. lol. I jump on here to relax and take a break..
Old 09-24-2008, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Hey I just noticed *** in my post whom is doing it..
Old 09-24-2008, 02:25 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
you and i buried the hatchet so this is not an attack or rebuttal as much as it is an fyi.

i ran the production numbers last year and there wasn't that much of a difference between total srt8's and amg's. and in this conversation, srt8's are really what we're referring to when we say "chrysler".

btw, i did scream about evosport's, supersprint's, et al's prices about headers...which is why mine are custom!
Chrysler doesn't use a vast array of different ECU/TCUs let alone multiple code versions like Mercedes does; think about how many different models/platforms/engines/trannys MB has vs. just a 6.1 mated to a NAG1/modified WA5A580 which comprises all SRT8 drivelines. The two are simply not comparable.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
Chrysler doesn't use a vast array of different ECU/TCUs let alone multiple code versions like Mercedes does; think about how many different models/platforms/engines/trannys MB has vs. just a 6.1 mated to a NAG1/modified WA5A580 which comprises all SRT8 drivelines. The two are simply not comparable.
you yourself said you will be putting the same tune in all 63's???
Old 09-24-2008, 03:00 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
you yourself said you will be putting the same tune in all 63's???
The same basic tune as in baseline timing, A/F etc, but they have to be written from scratch per ECU/TCU, as we haven't found a redundant code yet, making every tune a custom tune.
I'm not certain how many more times or ways I can say that.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:51 AM

junk
Originally Posted by MHP
The same basic tune as in baseline timing, A/F etc, but they have to be written from scratch per ECU/TCU, as we haven't found a redundant code yet, making every tune a custom tune.
I'm not certain how many more times or ways I can say that.
So, not only does every engine get built by one man in Germany but that same man writes his own special code...
Old 09-24-2008, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by MHP
Do you even own a 63 variant or are you just here to be a PITA? I'm looking for an E63 example right now, guess what, he'll be running the same tune I am right now (with V2 ECU improvements) and he'll at least make the same power (actually more due to the chance that their motor is actually broken in) or more (IMO 440rw).
Nope, sure don't. And for the purposes of this message, sure, you can just consider me a PITA. Ownership is not a requirement for posing questions to you, and never will be.

Originally Posted by MHP
The stock dyno of the Renntech tuned C63 is so obviously manipulated it's pathetic. Find another C63 that dyno'd that low on a DJ SAE, the other 3 dynos (besides mine which laid down 373-376rw SAE stock) are all around 375rwhp SAE. If you don't realize that some tuners/shops often post low numbers pretune/part install to make themselves look better I don't know what to tell you.
I DO realize that some tuners/shops post low numbers for pretune/part installs to make themselves look better. That's why I'm questioning you.

Originally Posted by MHP
Bring on a Renntech, Kleeman, Brabus tuned car and we can settle this at the strip, on the road, wherever. I'll put our tuning up against anyone else's anytime. Do you see any of them track testing their tuning? EXACTLY.
With all due respect, I think Brabus and Carlsson rent tracks and don't participate in local test-n-tunes to refine their software tuning.

Originally Posted by MHP
We're also the only shop to dyno in the correct gear (as far as C63s go) which makes our gains even more impressive.
Without reading through this entire thread again, how was the determination made that this is the "correct" gear to dyno in?

Originally Posted by MHP
What the hell are you talking about reg. longterm durability? Do you really think we're going to kick out a product that causes drivetrains to self destruct? There's no quicker way for an entity to put themselves out of business than by doing so.
The fact that no one else can tune a TCU has nothing to do with reliability. As I've already said countless times, we can make more power than other tuners MORE safely because we link the ECU/TCUs.
It's simple math, if they could do it they would, end of story.
You're adjusting shift points, correct? You're adjusting shift firmness? Making other "refinements" to the way the transmission behaves under throttle, and how much torque is available at "x" RPM, right?

Why is long term reliability such a difficult concept for you to grasp? You're changing something from how the manufacturer developed it, and you have zero concerns at all about the effects on the driveline??

Again, you're referencing "we make more power" over and over.

Originally Posted by MHP
LMAO. Nothing could be farther from the truth. You'll hear more about how refined the part throttle and WOT performance is (MUCH improved over stock) from other mbworld members in the next few days when they drive my car. I'm sorry but that was quite a stupid statement. The quarter mile is simply one measuring stick, and results were asked for by potential customers. It's unbelievable to me that you can sit here and attempt to spin the fact that we've posted quarter mile results--are actually testing what we sell.
I'm not spinning anything. And I'm definitely not spinning the fact that you just publicly replied to a possible future customer by calling my statement/question "stupid."

So the 1/4 mile is just one measuring stick. Besides the dyno results, what are the other measuring sticks?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by evilb
Without reading through this entire thread again, how was the determination made that this is the "correct" gear to dyno in?
You want to dyno using whichever gear in the particular car you're testing that comes the closest to a 1:1 ratio. Otherwise, the principle of leverage will falsely inflate the power numbers.

Andy really does have a point about him dyno'ing in 5th when renntech is using 4th, renntech is kinda cheating. Since 5th in the C63 is a perfect 1:1, that's the gear they should be using.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:42 AM

CLK63 BS AUDI S5 AUDI Q7 4.2 SLine C230 Sport 2010 ML 350

Nobody ever does anything cheap for me - everything always winds up costing me a million dollars (hyperbole) I think they see me coming and because (believe it or not) i am way to easy and for the most part dont complain or question how much things cost (Huge Mistake) I wind up taking it in the tailpipe on a regular basis. If i were to buy custom stuff somehow I would find the guy that would charge me twice as much and take twice as long. Wanna share?

However before he contacts me - Tuning Technician (Bruce) who is engineering my build is quite possibly the only guy that has ever given me a fair price up front and even charged me cost on some of the parts I have ordered through him. (not evosports) and is genuinely as excited if not more about this project than me and this is not cheerleading its facts.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by CWW
You want to dyno using whichever gear in the particular car you're testing that comes the closest to a 1:1 ratio. Otherwise, the principle of leverage will falsely inflate the power numbers.

Andy really does have a point about him dyno'ing in 5th when renntech is using 4th, renntech is kinda cheating. Since 5th in the C63 is a perfect 1:1, that's the gear they should be using.
I know that ideally you want to dyno your car in the gear that gets you as close to 1:1 as possible, but based on what I have followed on this site, it seems that dynoing in a lower gear (3rd v. 4th in the E55) will actually reflect slightly lower numbers. Am I wrong? Serious question.

I remember being content that my E55 was making "only" 419 rwhp on my 3rd gear dyno pulls because the ones that were making over 425-430 were doing so in 4th gear. False sense of security, maybe?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
Originally Posted by MHP
Tell you what, when you have as much time and $ invested into this as we do you can call your own shots. The best part will be when you actually give people everything they ask for, they'll still find something to complain about.

ps--despite all the "excuses" the car did do the talking and has continued to do so by making more power on the dyno, running with cars that should have walked it, and running quicker/faster than any other C63 in the world that I know of. Not to mention it's just with tuning/filters.

Thanks
Andy,

My whole point was that people love "before and after" pictures/videos ect. All youve shown is the "after"---obviously people start to question. hence my suggestion to show the back to back comparisons. Stock ecu vs control car then switch to Tuned ecu vs control car---that will end (most) arguements.

Btw---Im on ur side...u'll be getting my money--just trying to help u prove ur point.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by MHP
Excuse me?

LOL, we don't even bother to read powerchips tunes anymore, they are simply archaic. We just wipe them clean.
What do you mean by archaic? Do they not change the correct areas of the maps? What do they do that's so archaic, in your opinion?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by enzom
I know that ideally you want to dyno your car in the gear that gets you as close to 1:1 as possible, but based on what I have followed on this site, it seems that dynoing in a lower gear (3rd v. 4th in the E55) will actually reflect slightly lower numbers. Am I wrong? Serious question.

I remember being content that my E55 was making "only" 419 rwhp on my 3rd gear dyno pulls because the ones that were making over 425-430 were doing so in 4th gear. False sense of security, maybe?
With regard to 63s, I dyno'd 10rwhp and 10rwtq lower when stock going from 5th to 4th. Post tune I made 7rwhp more and 10rwtq less in 4th v 5th.

If you check the 63 dyno thread there is another example of a 63 making more HP but less tq in 4th vs 5th.

Thanks

Last edited by MHP; 09-24-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my car also puts down lower numbers in 3rd compared to 4th which is 1:1 as I believe most 55's do. I didn't want to start another 5 pages of fluff so I left it alone, but since you brought it up...
Old 09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by HYEPWR
Andy,

My whole point was that people love "before and after" pictures/videos ect. All youve shown is the "after"---obviously people start to question. hence my suggestion to show the back to back comparisons. Stock ecu vs control car then switch to Tuned ecu vs control car---that will end (most) arguements.

Btw---Im on ur side...u'll be getting my money--just trying to help u prove ur point.
I hear you, and sorry if I was a bit harsh, it was a rather frustrating day.

More vids coming in the next 2 days: Stock C63, Stock 08 Gallardo. Tonight a E63 with DRs on and off a 125 shot.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-24-2008, 02:26 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
What do you mean by archaic? Do they not change the correct areas of the maps? What do they do that's so archaic, in your opinion?
Everything from the method used to remove/resolder the chip to the actual software to the tunes themselves. I'm not going to comment further on this topic.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-24-2008, 02:27 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by JT55

However before he contacts me - Tuning Technician (Bruce) who is engineering my build is quite possibly the only guy that has ever given me a fair price up front and even charged me cost on some of the parts I have ordered through him. (not evosports) and is genuinely as excited if not more about this project than me and this is not cheerleading its facts.
Bruce is a solid guy, no doubt.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:29 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by evilb
Nope, sure don't. And for the purposes of this message, sure, you can just consider me a PITA. Ownership is not a requirement for posing questions to you, and never will be.
That's nice. I'm also not obligated to answer any questions from you (especially when redundant or "stupid").

Thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
My C32 dynoed higher in 3rd than in 4th (I know it's not a 55, but just another point of reference). Also, I've seen at least 2 E63 dynos locally showing higher numbers in 4th vs 5th. I was under the impression that the numbers got higher the more you move away from 1:1 to smaller gears.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
I think some of the questions asked here are being answered with too much emotion, which just creates unnecessary drama in this thread.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:48 PM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
don't know...don't care.
I know that answer so i will answer it for him..... NO and Hell No a Stock C or E 55/63 will not run a Gallardo on any type of rolling run.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Originally Posted by MHP
Everything from the method used to remove/resolder the chip to the actual software to the tunes themselves. I'm not going to comment further on this topic.

Thanks
Andy
Oh please comment!!! I would pay money to hear this one.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by BENZGal
Oh please comment!!! I would pay money to hear this one.
How much money? Money talks
Old 09-24-2008, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
How much money? Money talks
I have decided to step away from the keyboard on this thread. No need to respond to my post MHP. Better to keep on topic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)