W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Can someone standup for Andy without implying someone is stupid? I think it can be done...instead we are getting another internet ultimate fighting thread.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
The Voice of Reason

Originally Posted by chiromikey
get a clue...seriously. i'm accurate with my observations and my retort was right in line with his comment.

anyone that knows me, knows i've been trying to get tuners to work on our tq limiters for a while. i've even solicited most of the respected srt8 tuners over the past year. i've wanted this longer than anyone here and i'm pulling for this to happen more than anyone. just show me results without unsubstantiated "can do" claims. is that too much to ask for? and don't flame me for being honest about what i'm seeing. too many newbies around here don't know the history that some of us do about tuners blowing up motors with their special "our tune is better than theirs" ecu mapping. so forgive me for being the voice of reason.

forgive me for saying this but i know it's on many peoples' minds and i could care less about the flak i'll get...many new members have really run this place into the ground. to the point that it's worse than the m boards anymore. no wonder many respected senior members are starting their own forums. what i really find ironic is the fact that most of these new members are clk bs owners.
Right on Mickey........

Some of us have seen other E55's engines get blown due to incorrect mapping of ECU's and TCU's. I for one, would be extremely careful and PATIENT. Our engines are not cheap and I for one would not want to replace my bottom end due to an overly agressive mapping. For those of you who are newer to the forum, do a search on ECU/TCU and see some history and why Mikey says what he says.

He is looking out for your best interest and I would respect his voice of concern.

Peace
Old 09-23-2008, 01:40 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Can Drive 55
Like everyone else, I am sitting back and waiting for some hard data comparison figures. But, in the meantime, I am wondering why all the tuners with years in the business have not been able to crack the forbidden torque limiting code and all of a sudden someone comes out of the clear blue sky and states that he is the only one in the world who can do it. This is begining to sound like presidential politics.

This forum asked for track/dyno/video results and we've bent over backwards doing so--sometimes in less than optimal (ie only getting to make one pass at the track yet still posting the results even though due to driver error they weren't as good as they should've been) conditions yet they were delivered.

We just beat every other tune only 63 out there by a longshot with V1, V2 will make 440rwhp_/400rwtq+ and then what...What other hoops will we have to jump through?

At this point I'm starting to think we should've started into the Euro market with M5/M6s.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
get a clue...seriously. i'm accurate with my observations and my retort was right in line with his comment.

anyone that knows me, knows i've been trying to get tuners to work on our tq limiters for a while. i've even solicited most of the respected srt8 tuners over the past year. i've wanted this longer than anyone here and i'm pulling for this to happen more than anyone. just show me results without unsubstantiated "can do" claims. is that too much to ask for? and don't flame me for being honest about what i'm seeing. too many newbies around here don't know the history that some of us do about tuners blowing up motors with their special "our tune is better than theirs" ecu mapping. so forgive me for being the voice of reason.

forgive me for saying this but i know it's on many peoples' minds and i could care less about the flak i'll get...many new members have really run this place into the ground. to the point that it's worse than the m boards anymore. no wonder many respected senior members are starting their own forums. what i really find ironic is the fact that most of these new members are clk bs owners.
I can understand that you and evidently quite a few others have been burned by subpar tuners in the past. I'm sorry, I've been there myself (when I was a kid in college) and I know the feeling, it absolutely sucks. With that being said holding their wrongs against us (we've NEVER lost a motor build, tune, or otherwise) isn't exactly fair either.

As I said before I have races setup with an E63 (DRs), stock 08 Gallardo, and stock C63--the owner of the stock C63 is a mbworld member and will also post his feelings on my car after driving.

After that we'll test V2 (dyno/track) and then I'm moving onto LTs,exhaust, CAIs.

I don't know what else you can ask us to prove for you at this point. You've got testimony from a K3 E55 owner, vids of speedo/tach/other cars, track data, dyno data...What else is there?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:46 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by LZH
No apparent reason ???
What, are you blind ?? You asked for dyno numbers, now you have them and you're still questioning....Andy's posted video's of his car pulling on a 55k that should have walked all over the C63. Other members have posted their first hand experience with Andy's car and validated its legitimacy. Perhaps you just don't want to believe what is right in front of you, or perhaps you're just too stupid to see it. Either way it makes no difference to me and you can follow suit with the other "senior" members and go start your own forum if you don't like the atmosphere here.
Thanks for your support and objective viewpoint on the matter.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:48 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
That happens with all boards, change is inevitable and uninvited. I agree with you on the delivery versus promises, I'm not overwhelmed by what I see either.

But I'm okay with the idea that the tune evolves as it's tested and refined. I got the impression that some people expected it to be perfect on the first try.
Our v1 tuning just beat everyone else's and there's a lot left on the table in v2. What else can I say?

As for the delivery vs promises comment, what haven't we delivered on?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
chill on the roid rage arnold and don't take it out on the forum just because you can't get rid of your back acne and the puss stains on your favorite wife beater.

nice try but if you had a clue you'd know that i've never asked for dyno numbers... EVER! i don't give a rats *** about dyno numbers, especially numbers coming from a dynojet. the only numbers i've referred to were track numbers so if you want to discuss those then lets talk.
Interesting how you ask me to chill then immediately follow that by some incoherent and disgusting visual about acne, puss and then a veiled attempt at calling me a wife beater wearing redneck....nice. Way to lend credibility to your argument.
Simply put, Andy has provided everything your dumb *** has asked for; including track numbers. Yet, you refuse to comment. So, you wanna talk....lets talk about how his C63 just put down the fastest 1/4 mile to date. Lets also talk about how his C63 hung with a K3 E55 that should have walked all over it with it's many mods. Mods that you cannot just take off when you want to goto the dealer for warranty work.
You seem blinded by your own anger and frustration. Perhaps, it's simply because you are bent because Andy bypassed your "older platform" 55 motor and made a "lateral shift" directly to tuning the 63 motor. Either way, I really don't give a ***** as you have been provided with real world data yet continue to talk out of your *** while your head is buried in the sand. Good luck with that.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by higginsbeach
Right on Mickey........

Some of us have seen other E55's engines get blown due to incorrect mapping of ECU's and TCU's. I for one, would be extremely careful and PATIENT. Our engines are not cheap and I for one would not want to replace my bottom end due to an overly agressive mapping. For those of you who are newer to the forum, do a search on ECU/TCU and see some history and why Mikey says what he says.

He is looking out for your best interest and I would respect his voice of concern.

Peace
+1...
Old 09-23-2008, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
When do we get to talk about fast cars in this thread, oops just teasin
Old 09-23-2008, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Can someone standup for Andy without implying someone is stupid? I think it can be done...instead we are getting another internet ultimate fighting thread.

I have to agree, The new guests have changed the tone in here, I don't care for it to much, but they have a right to be here and conduct themselves as they feel is appropriate.
I don't see why all the commotion, there are a number of stock E63s in the low 12.1s. Oldgixxer comes to mind, 11.952 118.32 7.756 92.96 1.83 39.0 E63 Oldgixxer(STOCK on a real good DAy)

Last edited by Yacht Master; 09-23-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Question

So is the argument against Andy's work so far that he has taken a detuned C63 engine, basically tuned it to the point it is comparable to an E63's output, and had a comparable quarter mile time with other stock E63's? If that were it, I'd say yeah, no biggie since the power is already "built" in to the engine and the C is lighter. But, his run with Rock's E has got to mean something. That and some other's input on the shifts are much better.

I guess I really have nothing vested in these arguments until they reach the '55 guys. But, I do like the interest level and the thought you can "detune" the big brother robbing torque limits in the TCU.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by MHP
As for the delivery vs promises comment, what haven't we delivered on?
Well here's what you said to Rock when he asked what your tune would do for a 55:
Originally Posted by MHP
Dave, it's so hard to answer that question due to the large amount of variables it contains: Track, car, weather, driver, tires, exact mods...Honestly, it's going to be vehicle dependant, but the gains will absolutely be greater than with any present tuning package on the market, bar none.
Given that level of performance promise and combined with the fact that there are stock E63's and 63 Black Series out there running faster traps and times than this tune did ... maybe you can see why I question what's been delivered.

Last edited by DFW01E55; 09-23-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
andy,

please don't assume I've ever been burned by a tuner because that's far from the case.

lzh,

I've never refused to comment on track numbers. when I brought up 60ft time, et, and mph it was dismissed as a bad day so I left it alone because bad days happen. my only sub par comments have come after being attacked by the peanut gallery of clk bs owners.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:27 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DFW01E55

Given that level of performance promise and combined with the fact that there are stock E63's and 63 Black Series out there running faster traps and times than this tune did ... maybe you can see I question what's been delivered.
Some factors (these are NOT excuses) that need to be addressed:

1) I ran at Norwalk which is 850' above sea level on a night where there was still positive DA, not at an East Coast track at sea level with negative DA mineshaft air.

2) My C63 had 2200 miles on it at the time of the test.

3) I've made a total of 5 passes in the car to date. Only 1 with DRs, tuning, the others when it was stock at 600 miles. I need more seat time plain and simple.

4) The launch is 90%+ of a drag race. I had originally planned (assuming 3 runs) to launch off idle (which after studying the race vid tells me is the optimal way to go), 1500rpm brake stall, 2000rpm brake stall. Since I only had one shot I went with 2k and it bit me in the *** by rewarding me with a 1.97 60' (I should've been at 1.85 or better easily) due to a bog. When you bog off the line as any seasoned racer will tell you, your run is toast (especially trap speed on DRs or slicks) yet I still ran 12.19@116.5 (corrected 12.09@117.4). My previous best with just filters was 12.89@111.5.

5) Unless you can raise tq multiplication (change rear gears) in an automatic transmission car, DRs will hurt trap speed.

6) What about Rock's testimony about going against his K3 E55 (and we know what that traps)? As credible and respected as he is, that cannot be ignored. I also posted a vid of a stock C63 v a stock E55 and the C63 clearly lost. How do you think a stock C63 would fare against Rock's K3?

7) I walked hard on a 2700lb cam'd LS1 RX7 (traps 115-116 regularly and if you watch the vid you'll note the rate at which I pull away is not what you'd expect from my track results) after he got the jump.

8) My C63 v a Gallardo and stock C63 are coming by Friday. Vids of my car vs a stock E63 with DRs is coming tomorrow.

9) Have you seen any track/dyno testing by anyone else (Kleeman, Renntech, Brabus, etc.) that's outdone our results in any way? As far as I know we have the quickest/fastest and highest powered C63 in the world after just v1 tuning and filters. We are the only ones actually putting our $ where our mouths are.

10) I've thrown down the gauntlet for a tuner shootout now at MIR whenever and have yet to recieve any semblance of a response.

To this point I'm not sure what else can be done...That being said we're going to keep plugging away and posting our results for everyone to see.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by MHP; 09-23-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:30 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
andy,

please don't assume I've ever been burned by a tuner because that's far from the case.
My apologies, but you too obviously realize how many MB/AMG owners have been as you've stated above. There's no shame in it (being burned), only on those companies that deliver subpar products and services.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
MIR is less than 2 months away. We will get some real heads up data.

By the way, mine is bigger than yours!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Wow where have I been for the past two weeks...I never checked this thread because I thought it only pertained to the 63 engine. I just read it start to finish and can't believe I missed all this fun.

Andy:

Sending you a PM...

Tom
Old 09-23-2008, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
It seems that since Andy's C63 results came in, everyone is now interested in the E/CLS 63 results, which he is currently working on. But until those results are in, we should at least give him the title for best tune results in a C63 so far . He showed and compared his dynos to the other available tuners

Also some compared his runs to Oldgixxer's 11 second run in his stock E63. That run was done in 46 F and -1600 ft DA. Not to mention, Oldgixxer is one heck of a driver: he pulls 1.8 60' times almost 100% of the time. I think Andy's runs should only be compared to stock and modded C63s (preferrably on the same day and same track). So far, he's shown the most gains on the dyno and fastest on the track.

Andy, I think once the E numbers start coming in, more people will open up.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:34 PM

CLK63 BS AUDI S5 AUDI Q7 4.2 SLine C230 Sport 2010 ML 350
forgive me for saying this but i know it's on many peoples' minds and i could care less about the flak i'll get...many new members have really run this place into the ground. to the point that it's worse than the m boards anymore. no wonder many respected senior members are starting their own forums. what i really find ironic is the fact that most of these new members are clk bs owners. [/QUOTE]

Seeing that my join date is ab 5 years before yours allow me to Retort. (originally joined in 01 changed name)
You sir to me are part of the "new members" that have run this forum into the ground. Allow me to explain.
When I joined here - I was coming off a E55 and purchased a CLK55 - The way it used to be on this board the mere mention of changing the rims - drew fire and flames from many on this board at the time.
I was the young guy - the guy who was ab to rip car apart and re-do. Which I did. I was at the time the Anti-christ. I abandoned these boards for a few years and started posting again ab the time I got my Black - (SL in between)
Well I couldn't believe how things have changed - it seems everybody has become a Pimp My Rides expert and Speed Racer. Many of you are one step away from NHRA certification (on the highway at least).
The reason is the demographic has changed for the typical MB buyer or at least for certain models. The buyers of these cars have become much younger at least for alot of the 3-5 yr old models. Check this forum most of you ( i said most) are just that. Now instead of buying Mustang GT's and the forgotten Camaro/Firebird - u guys are now buying these cars at about the same price you'd pay for a new Mustang GT. Which has led to an incredible amount of stupidity, dumb posts, drag racing tips, you tube videos and the like. The M3 was the original replacement Guido, sideways hat, yo,yo,yo crowd car and now its the C class and the older E's.
So singling out us BS guys as to the demise of the forum is pretty ridiculous.
We are for the most part def. older, more mature, and have never ever made a post ab "when ur caught in a fire fight on the highway" (personal all time favorite) better educated and yes undoubtedly more affluent.
So to me - its actually u and ur ilk - who's brought the forum to the level of the M boards.
Why don't you start your own forum - I know who can be ur first member - his name is Marty.
And yes Chiro - I used to be a roid head (never had back acne though), have made juvenile posts, have started many arguments (or finished), cheerleaded for Andy and JR. and Tuning Tech and do indeed own a Black Series and been a member since '01.
So why don't you get an "adjustment" before u respond.
Actually -Don't respond at all.
Rule 1. - Everyone knows Chiropracters are a wacky bunch of quacks anyway.
So from now on whenever u post I'll just say refer to rule 1 and that pretty much explains the rest.

Last edited by JT55; 09-23-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by MHP
Gotcha on the track portion, DA sucks everywhere this time of year except the East Coast.
Yes, a DynoJet 248 with SAE correction set on 5 (so spikes don't count) in fourth gear. Say 3 runs with each tune?
When can you get me your ECU?

You mean his Powerchip ECU?

You wouldn't be contemplating a little IP theft, would you?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:57 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
MIR is less than 2 months away. We will get some real heads up data.

By the way, mine is bigger than yours!!!
Have you seen the other thread, we caved into your want for TCU only.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Wow where have I been for the past two weeks...I never checked this thread because I thought it only pertained to the 63 engine. I just read it start to finish and can't believe I missed all this fun.

Andy:

Sending you a PM...

Tom
Thanks Tom, back at ya.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
You mean his Powerchip ECU?

You wouldn't be contemplating a little IP theft, would you?
Excuse me?

LOL, we don't even bother to read powerchips tunes anymore, they are simply archaic. We just wipe them clean.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
It seems that since Andy's C63 results came in, everyone is now interested in the E/CLS 63 results, which he is currently working on. But until those results are in, we should at least give him the title for best tune results in a C63 so far . He showed and compared his dynos to the other available tuners

Also some compared his runs to Oldgixxer's 11 second run in his stock E63. That run was done in 46 F and -1600 ft DA. Not to mention, Oldgixxer is one heck of a driver: he pulls 1.8 60' times almost 100% of the time. I think Andy's runs should only be compared to stock and modded C63s (preferrably on the same day and same track). So far, he's shown the most gains on the dyno and fastest on the track.

Andy, I think once the E numbers start coming in, more people will open up.
Again Mo thanks for your objective input, much appreciated.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
jt55,

sorry buddy, i purposely left out your shrinkage side effects hoping you wouldn't be too upset by the post...my bad for still getting you riled.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)