W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by MHP
Are you saying that scientists don't try to eliminate as many variables as possible when conducting an experiment? Sorry bro, I had O-chem in college (random other bio/chem classes to boot) and that was my personal experience.
Key word is TRY. There is no true "controlled environment" where they control ALL the variables. Trust me buddy, I pretend to be a scientist during the day

This is irrelevant anyway, back on topic...

Last edited by blackbenzz; 10-07-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by MHP
Tom,
I made a statement that cannot be disproved (scientists try to eliminate as many variables as possible when conducting an experiment) based on my own personal experience. In no way shape or form did I say I was a scientist, so please don't try to create extra drama for no reason.

Thanks
Andy
Sorry...no drama intended.. I found it funny...and I just was giving you more unsolicited advice....given that I know what Ahmad does for a living. I am getting this strong vibe that you don't appreciate my advice...which kind of hurts.

Tom
Old 10-07-2008, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by LZH
Yikes - you seem to be a very angry little man, Mikey. And as far as my "pointless" question....well, remember you are the one that stated that Rocks car was only "moderately" modified and I think we can all agree that is not the case at all.
angry? no way...i was laughing my **** off at you while i wrote it.

yes i did state rocks car is only moderately modified and i stand behind that. simply because you're not completely familiar with the platform or what's available doesn't make me wrong.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by chiromikey
angry? no way...i was laughing my **** off at you while i wrote it.

yes i did state rocks car is only moderately modified and i stand behind that. simply because you're not completely familiar with the platform or what's available doesn't make me wrong.
I'm very well aware of further internal motor mods (rotating assembly, top end work, etc) and blower upgrades, but you are talking BIG bucks compared to just a tune. And it's exactly THAT which you are missing. With all the money spent on Rocks car for mods, MHP's tune allowed the C63 to hang with it - as stated by Rock himself. That's impressive in my eyes, and, its a mod that is easily reversed if one should ever require a visit to the dealer for warranty work. Maybe instead of constantly engaging me simply for the sake of argument, you should let MHP tune your E55 and then report back here since your sole purpose here seems to revolve around how much one contributes.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
LZH, is your saddle that tightly secure to Andy's *****? No offense to Andy, but all he did was tune one lil C63 and you have claimed him tuner of the year, Im confused.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
LZH, is your saddle that tightly secure to Andy's *****? No offense to Andy, but all he did was tune one lil C63 and you have claimed him tuner of the year, Im confused.
When I look at what Andy has done with a tune alone compared to Rock's modified E55, I see lots of potential and VALUE. Rocks car should have walked all over the C63. Perhaps you guys are just bent that the almighty E55 has been dethroned. I would venture to say that all of Rocks mods cost more than Andy's tune - not to mention the fact that all those mods raise lots of eyebrows when it comes to warranty work. If you can't see the value there then I cannot help you.

Last edited by LZH; 10-07-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
^^^my oh my, OK.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
that C63 was pulled by a stock Gallardo that only traps 118 MPH...... maybe Rock's car is having issues.....

Originally Posted by LZH
When I look at what Andy has done with a tune alone compared to Rock's modified E55, I see lots of potential and VALUE. Rocks car should have walked all over the C63. Perhaps you guys are just bent that the almighty E55 has been dethroned. I would venture to say that all of Rocks mods cost more than Andy's tune - not to mention the fact that all those mods raise lots of eyebrows when it comes to warranty work. If you can't see the value there then I cannot help you.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65
Originally Posted by LZH
Perhaps you guys are just bent that the almighty E55 has been dethroned.
Rock Wrote:
"I reported that I could not pull on his car in the few seconds that we were both on the accelerator"

That's about as good of an example of a "dethroning" as "we must go into Iraq to get Al-Qaeda" is of the absolute truth.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LZH
I'm very well aware of further internal motor mods (rotating assembly, top end work, etc) and blower upgrades, but you are talking BIG bucks compared to just a tune. And it's exactly THAT which you are missing. With all the money spent on Rocks car for mods, MHP's tune allowed the C63 to hang with it - as stated by Rock himself. That's impressive in my eyes, and, its a mod that is easily reversed if one should ever require a visit to the dealer for warranty work. Maybe instead of constantly engaging me simply for the sake of argument, you should let MHP tune your E55 and then report back here since your sole purpose here seems to revolve around how much one contributes.
so you're basing your entire conclusion on a very short set of uncontrolled runs done in traffic where even rock claims full speed potential was not realized? all i can say is that i guess your and my requirements for data are quite different...i prefer objective over subjective.

there's no way i'm letting anyone tune my vehicle unless they can actually prove to me their tune is, first and foremost, safe...which is why i'm waiting for some data logging to show me timing info. and even if it is safe, i still need to know how much better it is than the rest to justify 2-4 times the cost over the competition. if andy could prove to me the tune is safe and wants to bring his equipment out here and do some back to back runs at firebird raceway, comparing his tune to mine...(it won't happen but) lets go! i have no problem taking my car down the strip to get some quality OBJECTIVE data to provide for everyone.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by MarkoCL65
Rock Wrote:
"I reported that I could not pull on his car in the few seconds that we were both on the accelerator"

That's about as good of an example of a "dethroning" as "we must go into Iraq to get Al-Qaeda" is of the absolute truth.
Well then I guess the examples you are looking for will present themselves at MIR...But that begs the question - how much better do you think Andy's C63 would be with all the mods Rock's car has ?

so you're basing your entire conclusion on a very short set of uncontrolled runs done in traffic where even rock claims full speed potential was not realized? all i can say is that i guess your and my requirements for data are quite different...i prefer objective over subjective.

there's no way i'm letting anyone tune my vehicle unless they can actually prove to me their tune is, first and foremost, safe...which is why i'm waiting for some data logging to show me timing info. and even if it is safe, i still need to know how much better it is than the rest to justify 2-4 times the cost over the competition. if andy could prove to me the tune is safe and wants to bring his equipment out here and do some back to back runs at firebird raceway, comparing his tune to mine...(it won't happen but) lets go! i have no problem taking my car down the strip to get some quality OBJECTIVE data to provide for everyone.
I agree that their run was not as controlled as I would have liked to see; but it was very promising nonetheless and you cannot deny that. Guess you will just have to wait until MIR for more objective data. Will you be attending ?

Last edited by LZH; 10-07-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i was committed to attend until a few events recently squashed my play funds. right now it doesn't look good but there's still a slim chance i can work something out.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:15 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by LZH
Well then I guess the examples you are looking for will present themselves at MIR...But that begs the question - how much better do you think Andy's C63 would be with all the mods Rock's car has ?
Rock trapped 124.6 and Andy trapped 116.XX. How can you argue around that fact and bring the race between them as a stronger example of the difference/similarity between the two cars? Doesn't one most logically conclude, given all the facts, that the race between them is non-admissible as it wasn't performed to an extent which would yield notable results?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:19 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Key word is TRY. There is no true "controlled environment" where they control ALL the variables. Trust me buddy, I pretend to be a scientist during the day

This is irrelevant anyway, back on topic...
Thanks buddy.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG

Sorry, not coming to CA to do that unless there's at least 10 of you to tune. However we will be doing that Nov 1st (trying to rent trails Nov 2nd) here in Columbus.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MarkoCL65
Rock trapped 124.6 and Andy trapped 116.XX. How can you argue around that fact and bring the race between them as a stronger example of the difference/similarity between the two cars? Doesn't one most logically conclude, given all the facts, that the race between them is non-admissible as it wasn't performed to an extent which would yield notable results?
To reiterate the biggest problem with 63s is the lack of low end/midrange opposed to a 55/65. Once we're out of first gear (or at least in the powerband in first gear) things even out pretty quickly especially considering the closer ratios of the 7A. That being said I don't think LZH is saying my car would definitely beat Rock's in the quarter, but I know for a fact it can hang from 50-130 (which in my mind is a pretty good spread) which says a lot for a N/A motor with just filters/tuning. Would you agree to that?
Also keep in mind that Rock's made more than 1 pass to net that 124.6, I only got to make one and bogged. More data coming this Friday. I think Rock's going to be there as well.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Fikse
that C63 was pulled by a stock Gallardo that only traps 118 MPH...... maybe Rock's car is having issues.....
Maybe you need to stop reading magazines and get more seat time in a Gallardo. Going from a roll is not the same as going from a dig.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
To reiterate the biggest problem with 63s is the lack of low end/midrange opposed to a 55/65. Once we're out of first gear (or at least in the powerband in first gear) things even out pretty quickly especially considering the closer ratios of the 7A. That being said I don't think LZH is saying my car would definitely beat Rock's in the quarter, but I know for a fact it can hang from 50-130 (which in my mind is a pretty good spread) which says a lot for a N/A motor with just filters/tuning. Would you agree to that?
Also keep in mind that Rock's made more than 1 pass to net that 124.6, I only got to make one and bogged. More data coming this Friday. I think Rock's going to be there as well.
i still wouldn't agree to that unless you ran a much more controlled race without the traffic, etc. but that's just me.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
i still wouldn't agree to that unless you ran a much more controlled race without the traffic, etc.
LMAO we went from 50-130 multiple times... Next time I'll be sure to hit 180 just for you.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
LMAO we went from 50-130 multiple times... Next time I'll be sure to hit 180 just for you.
not sure what you're lmao'ing about???

Originally Posted by Rock
...These were short impromptu runs in traffic and not in a controlled environment. I reported that I could not pull on his car in the few seconds that we were both on the accelerator and that his car was very fast. Our trap speed discrepancy was not realized during our encounter...
Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by MHP
Of course I agree. Rock's absolute best was 124.6 and you haven't gotten the best out of your car yet. I focus more on trap speed as an indicator of power and performance than anything else. That being said, a car that traps 120+ is going to pull away from a car that traps 116.XX. The fact that it didn't happen during your race with Rock doesn't signify anything meaningful in my opinion. How many times have you raced side by side with identical cars and yielded completely different results? Who got the jump, what gear were you in, whose car was a hotter, who spun more..???...way too many variables. 116.XX is a great MPH for a 63 motor with little to no miles on it.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:56 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by MHP
More data coming this Friday. I think Rock's going to be there as well.
Look forward to seeing the results, Andy.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Okay, so it seems that this argument can keep going back and forth almost indefinitely........ until of course more data is introduced. Andy, this time try to make at least 4 to 5 runs, so we have more data to analyze and reference. In the mean time, I think it's fair to at least agree that Andy's tune looks very strong. Rock (who is highly respected here on the boards) seems to think that the car held it's grounds fairly well and videos of the Gellardo and shift points, along with dynos seem to confirm that Andy's C63 indeed has become a stronger, faster, and "fresher" car.

It'd be interesting if we can find a way to measure shift speeds on a stock car, then again after a tuned version to see how fast shift speeds have improved after the tune (especially after minimizing the always slow adaptations).
Old 10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
the point is, you lost, the Gallardo isn't trapping 120, and neither are you....

and from a dig? I'm sure you would "instantly" take a Gallardo by two car lengths from a dig like you said..... You would have ZERO chance if the Gallardo really ran you like it could, nice video here:

http://www.dragtimes.com/video-viewer.php?v=RycA3jNFQb8

please, please tell everyone that you would have beat him by 2 car lengths from a real dig.....

Originally Posted by MHP
Maybe you need to stop reading magazines and get more seat time in a Gallardo. Going from a roll is not the same as going from a dig.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Any news on the 65's.....forget about those little V8s'...., Just kidding fellas, relax before I get the book thrown at me....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)