I Just Recieved My MHP ECU/TCU Tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
Originally Posted by LZH
Awesome and that is exactly what I was hoping to hear - thanks for your input.
NP!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:45 AM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by MHP
Jeff is correct, the lag is greatly reduced but it's still present especially in fast winding first gear. For optimal performance (straight line anyway) just leave it in sport; it's a conventional auto not a DCT/SMG so it shifts best when left to do what it was originally designed to.
We eliminated as much of the lag as possible while testing on my car, we kept reducing it until it began to interfere with other parts of the tune. We'll keep testing with my C63 over the next few weeks in an attempt to further reduce it.
Thanks Andy. It's something I've been meaning to email you about but saw this as a good opportunity to inquire so others could hear about it. That lag has really been bothering me recently. Can you elaborate about what other areas of the tune were being interfered with by shortening the lag ? I'm sure the lag gives the TCU and ECU time to see lots of different variables and make a decision on how to properly shift given the current conditions/tables. Does your current tune simply speed the calcs up or totally cange the tables that determine shifting ? I know that may be asking you to divulge more than you want and if so thats fine....I was just wondering...
Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by LZH
Thanks Andy. It's something I've been meaning to email you about but saw this as a good opportunity to inquire so others could hear about it. That lag has really been bothering me recently. Can you elaborate about what other areas of the tune were being interfered with by shortening the lag ? I'm sure the lag gives the TCU and ECU time to see lots of different variables and make a decision on how to properly shift given the current conditions/tables. Does your current tune simply speed the calcs up or totally cange the tables that determine shifting ? I know that may be asking you to divulge more than you want and if so thats fine....I was just wondering...
One of the issues we ran into was shifting that was too abrubt (non AMG much less MB like) for what we'd want to put our name on. It also affected part throttle shift firmness which we like to keep as close to stock as possible despite quickening up the WOT shifts. There were other things as well.
The R&D will never stop, hopefully one day we'll be able to have the best of both worlds.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Out Of Control!

Jim,

Got any videos of your first impression runs?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 AM

'04 Porsche 996TT X-50, '95 M3 Built & Blown
Originally Posted by MHP
Jeff is correct, the lag is greatly reduced but it's still present especially in fast winding first gear. For optimal performance (straight line anyway) just leave it in sport; it's a conventional auto not a DCT/SMG so it shifts best when left to do what it was originally designed to.
We eliminated as much of the lag as possible while testing on my car, we kept reducing it until it began to interfere with other parts of the tune. We'll keep testing with my C63 over the next few weeks in an attempt to further reduce it.
After I received the MHP ECU/TCU tune I was running the BS in manual mode and kept slapping the rev limiter. The car revs like crazy in 1st and 2nd and it just wouldn't respond fast enough when I hit the up paddle. Decided to put it in sport and it was such a tremendous difference with the TCU firmness set to about a 7 it would got to redline and shift with a vengeance. What a ride!

Keep it in sport mode unless you are on a road course ripping it up.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by LZH
Jcart - One of the things I hate about the transmission on my black series is the lag between the time I grab a paddle to shift and the actual shift taking place. Literally, when I hit the paddle it's almost a full second before the shift happens. I have noticed that when I'm really driving hard....the car will recognize that and shift a tiny bit faster and firmer...but not much. Does MHP's TCU tune change this and get rid of that lagtime ??? What I would like is for the instant I hit the paddle, the shift takes place - up or down.
The shift time is definetly sped up, however that being said the car now revs so much faster that I am having to learn my shift points all over again, having my redline raised is not making this any easier to re-learn. The tach and shift light are pretty much useless, I never paid much attention to them I always shift by ear (revs and exhaust note, the motorcycle racer in me shining through). I did get out and put a few more miles on it yesterday. The shifts seem even firmer than on Sunday. It seems while driving at slower speeds under 30 mph the shifts are neck snapping firm/hard, but as you pick up some mph the shifts smooth out. Seeing that this is a high performance track car I can live with this, but as I stated before if I had an E or S class luxo cruiser I would not go this aggresive. I have also been putting it in auto sport mode and this is where it really impresses me, the lightening fast upshifts are flawless. I don't think I will ever drive this car in M again unless I am on a road course.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Talking

Originally Posted by tuningtechnician
After I received the MHP ECU/TCU tune I was running the BS in manual mode and kept slapping the rev limiter. The car revs like crazy in 1st and 2nd and it just wouldn't respond fast enough when I hit the up paddle. Decided to put it in sport and it was such a tremendous difference with the TCU firmness set to about a 7 it would got to redline and shift with a vengeance. What a ride!

Keep it in sport mode unless you are on a road course ripping it up.
Ditto, the speed of the rev is simply amazing, kicks like a turbo or a 2-stroke motorcycle engine, I have always loved this car, but now I smile and shake my head in amazement every time I give it full throttle! You think a 7 setting is firm, image mine, I have mine set at a 10 out of 10 setting! It's fun...they should have sold it this way from the factory.
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
The shift time is definetly sped up, however that being said the car now revs so much faster that I am having to learn my shift points all over again, having my redline raised is not making this any easier to re-learn. The tach and shift light are pretty much useless, I never paid much attention to them I always shift by ear (revs and exhaust note, the motorcycle racer in me shining through). I did get out and put a few more miles on it yesterday. The shifts seem even firmer than on Sunday. It seems while driving at slower speeds under 30 mph the shifts are neck snapping firm/hard, but as you pick up some mph the shifts smooth out. Seeing that this is a high performance track car I can live with this, but as I stated before if I had an E or S class luxo cruiser I would not go this aggresive. I have also been putting it in auto sport mode and this is where it really impresses me, the lightening fast upshifts are flawless. I don't think I will ever drive this car in M again unless I am on a road course.
+1
Unfortunatly since I got my ecu back from MHP It has been raining ALOT here. Today has cleared up and I have a nice 20 miles drive to the DYno this afternoon but gonna get out and rip into it for maybe 30 mintes or so before going out there to put some more mileage on the tune. I have only gotten about 125-150 miles on the car since installed. Weather has not been on my side. Still gonna hit Dyno regardless. As with a lot of others i wanna see some numbers. Yes the TCU shifting is seemingly getting stronger everytime I drive it. Im not even gonna bother with M mode. S does a better/quicker job them my reation time
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Ditto, the speed of the rev is simply amazing, kicks like a turbo or a 2-stroke motorcycle engine, I have always loved this car, but now I smile and shake my head in amazement every time I give it full throttle! You think a 7 setting is firm, image mine, I have mine set at a 10 out of 10 setting! It's fun...they should have sold it this way from the factory.
I did setting 8 for my E and love it :
Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM

'04 Porsche 996TT X-50, '95 M3 Built & Blown
I would have done the firmness at 10 but JT (I tried to talk him into it but to no avail)will street drive the car mostly and you know what 10 feels like under less than WOT! OHHH SNAP!!!!! Can you say WHIPLASH!!!!

I want to feel what 10 feels like this weekend or at MIR. Cool and maybe a little spray?

Are you making it to Ohio this weekend? Should be a VERY interesting dyno day.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tuningtechnician
I would have done the firmness at 10 but JT (I tried to talk him into it but to no avail)will street drive the car mostly and you know what 10 feels like under less than WOT! OHHH SNAP!!!!! Can you say WHIPLASH!!!!

I want to feel what 10 feels like this weekend or at MIR. Cool and maybe a little spray?

Are you making it to Ohio this weekend? Should be a VERY interesting dyno day.
No, I will not be in Ohio this weekend, I will be in Dallas the later half of this week for business and then I will be at Texas Motor Speedway for the Nascar Races Saturday and Sunday.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Ok all....gonna post my data here in a few. just gotta get it all together. let me say for starters as I suspected, all the way through my powerband(under the curve) I saw nice gains which are going to pay off when it comes to my next track visit. In conjunction with these gains and the TCU tuning(which has nothing to do with these number) I am expecting to better my times and hopefully join that under 12 second club which I am so close to already.
Give me a few minutes to gather my data and i will post up shortly. Thanks for your patience. I know everyone wants a look
Old 10-28-2008, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
Ok all....gonna post my data here in a few. just gotta get it all together. let me say for starters as I suspected, all the way through my powerband(under the curve) I saw nice gains which are going to pay off when it comes to my next track visit. In conjunction with these gains and the TCU tuning(which has nothing to do with these number) I am expecting to better my times and hopefully join that under 12 second club which I am so close to already.
Give me a few minutes to gather my data and i will post up shortly. Thanks for your patience. I know everyone wants a look
A list of your other mods (if any) along with your results would be helpful to the masses, thanks.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Congrats Jeff! Cant wait to see your curves! And this is Renntech vs. MHP tune, not just a base file vs. MHP!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
still getting stuff together. I am gonna post 2 charts. one with 4th gear pulls and one for 5th.
The 4th gear pulls have 3 curves on it. Lowest one is my Renntech tune, NO MODS. middle curve is Renntech tune WITH MODS. upper curve is MHP tune with(obviously)my mods.
My 5th gear pull chart has 3 curves on it too, but 1 curve is my renntech ecu with mods and other two pulls are MHP tune with mods. I dont have a 5th gear with just the renntech tune.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:05 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
How did we do vs the reigning "King"?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by MHP
How did we do vs the reigning "King"?
I suspect you already have spoken with him.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Timeless
I suspect you already have spoken with him.
Avg HP/TQ for the win. The A/F data should also put the "pushing the envelope" theories to bed.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
sorry guy. My dog took a chunk out of my finger a few minutes ago. Gonna take a me a bit longer as i am short the use of my right thumb at the moment, so typing isnt easy. Wife just bandeged me up...I am gonna stat putting the data online here in a minute DAMN DOG!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
sorry guy. My dog took a chunk out of my finger a few minutes ago. Gonna take a me a bit longer as i am short the use of my right thumb at the moment, so typing isnt easy. Wife just bandeged me up...I am gonna stat putting the data online here in a minute DAMN DOG!!!
Damn, what kinda dog Jeff?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by MHP
Damn, what kinda dog Jeff?
A dead one if that was me
Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
A dead one if that was me
Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
hes a 15 yr old beagle. doesnt know any better....

started a new thread with my data...can be found here....

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/267195-e63-renntech-vs-mhp-data.html
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Thanks again to Jeff and Jim for their time and energy here. Hearing about the way the TCU changes the way the car drives has me sold.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Banned

2003 Mercedes S500 Lorinser
talked to bruce from ttmotorsports today and am sending my ECU and TCU to andy next monday since veloce failed to give me any performance gains.. my car is slower then before.

bruce told me andy would get at least 30hp out of the ECU with all the mods i have and about 15HP from the TCU.

I cant wait to see what these guys can do

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Just Recieved My MHP ECU/TCU Tune