W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airmatic problem with LM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C63 Blk/Blk,'07 CLS63 (sold),'05 E55 Blk/Blk 20" Brabus S (sold),'04 E55 silver/Blk
Airmatic problem with LM

Hi,just had my workshop fit a RennTech LM with remote to my car and now i have the following problem(s)

Airmatic 'visit workshop' warning light on
Car is stuck in high position and wont go up or down
Compressor running non-stop when the car is running

So i've taken it back to the workshop and they look a little perplexed!
Any clues as to what the problem may be?I've done a search and still havn't found the answer.....
Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by motoE55
Hi,just had my workshop fit a RennTech LM with remote to my car and now i have the following problem(s)

Airmatic 'visit workshop' warning light on
Car is stuck in high position and wont go up or down
Compressor running non-stop when the car is running

So i've taken it back to the workshop and they look a little perplexed!
Any clues as to what the problem may be?I've done a search and still havn't found the answer.....

First question - did they install a version 1 or a version 2 ELM? Next question, does your car have three wire ride height sensors, or four wire ride height sensors?

Either way, it's obvious they screwed up the installation and need to go back and double check each and every single wire connection using the instructions for the type of sensors on your car.

Having personally installed one myself (see DIY sticky post), my best advice would be to have your installer print out the wiring schematics available at the RennTech website and then trace each connection and match it up to the correct pin number on the connector while confirming the wire color code.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I had the same problem when I, and another forum member, installed mine a couple of weeks ago. Turns out, depending on model year, you have to either do the 3 sensor or 4 sensor install. Regardless of how many ride height sensors you have. We all know that the W211 has 2 sensors in the front and 1 for the rear but doing the 3 sensor install on a 2003-2004 (I believe) gives you the results you have now. We called RENNtech and they advised us to do the 4 sensor install. Problem solved.

I'm not 100% on the cut-off date for the 4 sensor install but I think it's either end of model year 04 or mid model year 05. Call RENNtech and give them your build date. That's what we did and they were able to tell us which install method to do.

Good luck.

P.S. - This was for a version 1 install.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 10-29-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 PM

07 BMW X5
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
I had the same problem when I, and another forum member, installed mine a couple of weeks ago. Turns out, depending on model year, you have to either do the 3 sensor or 4 sensor install. Regardless of how many ride height sensors you have. We all know that the W211 has 2 sensors in the front and 1 for the rear but doing the 3 sensor install on a 2003-2004 (I believe) gives you the results you have now. We called RENNtech and they advised us to do the 4 sensor install. Problem solved.

I'm not 100% on the cut-off date for the 4 sensor install but I think it's either end of model year 04 or mid model year 05. Call RENNtech and give them your build date. That's what we did and they were able to tell us which install method to do.

Good luck.

P.S. - This was for a version 1 install.

Thx Benz-O-Rama for the info it's perfect timing as I'm having "Visit Workshop" as well. I can raise and lower the car just fine and it stays in the ride height I choose. Paid Euroelites for the RT ELM and install so I guess I will have to figure things out on my own.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by blueknight
Thx Benz-O-Rama for the info it's perfect timing as I'm having "Visit Workshop" as well. I can raise and lower the car just fine and it stays in the ride height I choose. Paid Euroelites for the RT ELM and install so I guess I will have to figure things out on my own.
Did you do the 3 or 4 sensor install?

I think you're gonna need to do the 4 sensor. It's very strange, I know...but it solved my problem and that advice came straight from RENNtech. I wish I could remember the cutoff date for those that need to do the 3 or 4 sensor install, but alas....too many drugs.

WAIT! I just re-read your post. You say that other than the "visit workshop" yours is working as intended?

If so, that's a different story. I currently have that. My ELM works exactly as it should and all airmatic functions work as expected. I had a tech diagnose my particular issue and it's my left front sensor is at zero voltage for one of the connections. The 4 sensor install actually has 2 leads going to each front sensor and one of them, the voltage is flatlined. I think I have a bad connection for that wire or the sensor is flaky.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 10-29-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 PM

'08 C63 Blk/Blk,'07 CLS63 (sold),'05 E55 Blk/Blk 20" Brabus S (sold),'04 E55 silver/Blk
SNAFU! Workshop phoned this morning and said it is all sorted now.The guy on the phone couldn't shed any light on what the problem was though...perhaps a 'maiden install' problem,lol?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:43 PM

Ok,so now everything is working fine but the Airmatic warning light comes on at random times,often on start-up.Any clues as it sounds like this has been a problem for a couple of members?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by motoE55
Ok,so now everything is working fine but the Airmatic warning light comes on at random times,often on start-up.Any clues as it sounds like this has been a problem for a couple of members?
How low is the car? My RennTech module has had the red light come on once and that was when I was in the lowest setting and hit a dip while racing. Other than that, the digital LEM should not have issues. the old ones did because temperature can play into the signal.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:54 AM

i've got V2.0,running at 35mm fronts and 45mm rear out of a maximum 50mm possible.