Changing out brake questions!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
CWW,

Hey Im about to order this but I need your help on this if they listed like this,

Fits: Front. Did they mean a pair or a single pad??
Material: Ceramic
Series: Redstuff

Fits: Rear. Same for the rear come with two = a pair??

Here is the link,

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...Benz&md=CLK320
Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
CWW,

Hey Im about to order this but I need your help on this if they listed like this,

Here is the link,

Dayum, that's a good price.

They usually come in sets, like all pads you need for the front or all pads you need for the back, so as long as you order a front set and a back set you should be set.

I can see why you're wondering though, I've never seen the reds that cheap before.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by CWW

They usually come in sets, like all pads you need for the front or all pads you need for the back, so as long as you order a front set and a back set you should be set.

I can see why you're wondering though, I've never seen the reds that cheap before.
then im good to go....anything else that I need?? Anyway, u always my hero
Old 11-07-2008, 05:30 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
then im good to go....anything else that I need?? Anyway, u always my hero
Nope, that's it. Have you done a brake job as a DIY before? There's a writeup around here somewhere with pics, if you search for it. Very simple.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by CWW

Not bad pricing, but its for a clk320...
Old 11-08-2008, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
CWW,

Here is the link,

Just call Summitracing.com. They are cheap, fast, and very reliable. I have used them for over two decades now, and I evben drive out them once in a while.

See yeah

PS: Bought my C32 redstuff there, and my SRT front and rears as well
Old 11-08-2008, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Just call Summitracing.com. They are cheap, fast, and very reliable. I have used them for over two decades now, and I evben drive out them once in a while.

See yeah

PS: Bought my C32 redstuff there, and my SRT front and rears as well
Thanks everyone....I just placed my order they should be here sometime next week
Old 11-16-2008, 06:01 PM

07 Z06, 08 Rover Sport, 03 Dmax, 13 Diavel
hey guys
i've been looking on RockAuto's site, i need pads for my 01' E55. Don't need rotors as they are fine.
i prefer the Akebono's and have seen them on RockAuto. Is this a good site to buy off?
heres the fronts:
AKEBONO Part # EUR682 More Info
Ceramic; E55 with Dual rear pad pins; Front $90.89

Rears:
AKEBONO Part # EUR603 More Info {Includes electronic wear sensor.}
Ceramic; E55 with Dual rear pad pins; Includes electronic wear sensor.; Rear
$43.79

also, i guess i need the sensors right? this site has:
ELCA Part # 1405401217 for $0.63 OR
RAYBESTOS Part # EWS9 for $2.12
which one do i need??? and is that for one or a pair?

And i will def get the coupon code on this and get 5% off!

Can people shed light on this for me, then i can go ahead and order them...

When i put the order qty in, i assume "1" means a pair? ie 1 front, 1 rear, 2 sensors?

Thank you all, a VERY informative thread!
Aj

Last edited by 1 BAD BURB; 11-16-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:38 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
hey guys
i've been looking on RockAuto's site, i need pads for my 01' E55. Don't need rotors as they are fine.
i prefer the Akebono's and have seen them on RockAuto. Is this a good site to buy off?
heres the fronts:
AKEBONO Part # EUR682 More Info
Ceramic; E55 with Dual rear pad pins; Front $90.89

Rears:
AKEBONO Part # EUR603 More Info {Includes electronic wear sensor.}
Ceramic; E55 with Dual rear pad pins; Includes electronic wear sensor.; Rear
$43.79

also, i guess i need the sensors right? this site has:
ELCA Part # 1405401217 for $0.63 OR
RAYBESTOS Part # EWS9 for $2.12
which one do i need??? and is that for one or a pair?

And i will def get the coupon code on this and get 5% off!

Can people shed light on this for me, then i can go ahead and order them...

When i put the order qty in, i assume "1" means a pair? ie 1 front, 1 rear, 2 sensors?

Thank you all, a VERY informative thread!
Aj
Pads come in sets, so when you buy the front that will include both front wheels. Ditto with the rear.

Mercedes brake wear sensors are typically arranged with 2 up front and 1 in the rear, so you should need a total of 3 of those.

FWIW, I think you will like the akebonos. I have those on my car right now, and love them. Not a single speck of dust after a week or two of hard driving.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 AM

CWW thank you for the advice! i will go ahead and order them. The wear sensors though, the rear pad comes with one, so i only need two (fronts) right?

Yea, i also have the huge brake dust problem on my current wheels. its ugly, i hate it! LOL

Thank you again!
Aj
Old 11-17-2008, 10:22 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
CWW thank you for the advice! i will go ahead and order them. The wear sensors though, the rear pad comes with one, so i only need two (fronts) right?

Yea, i also have the huge brake dust problem on my current wheels. its ugly, i hate it! LOL

Thank you again!
Aj
If I were you, I'd get the OEM M-B wear sensors. They are better quality, and they're only like $7 apiece. You need three total, two front one rear. Unless you decide to use the aftermarket one that comes with the pads, then yeah you'd only need the two fronts.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by CWW
If I were you, I'd get the OEM M-B wear sensors. They are better quality, and they're only like $7 apiece. You need three total, two front one rear. Unless you decide to use the aftermarket one that comes with the pads, then yeah you'd only need the two fronts.
good deal, i'll just go to the dealer and pick one up... thanks again for the info!
Aj
Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 PM

CLS55
do the ceramic pads bite as well as the stock pads do when cold? I had some axxis metal master plus pads that were dustless on my bmw, but they didn't bite as well when cold.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by Dogshine
do the ceramic pads bite as well as the stock pads do when cold? I had some axxis metal master plus pads that were dustless on my bmw, but they didn't bite as well when cold.
I find the Akebonos bite the same as the stock pads. I noticed no difference whatsoever. The EBC redstuff's I tried on my BMW did need to warm up a bit in order to bite as well as the stock pads, but it was only the first one or two stops in the morning where you'd notice it, and even then it was never anything unsafe or worrisome.

The other thing you have to remember is, the W211's are computer controlled brake-by-wire systems. I doubt you would/could notice any difference with the SBC brakes anyway.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 PM
hbr

'05 E55 on ADV1s
Do the front pads take a shim too? I have / see the black platic shims for the rear, but I don't have / see any for the front...............
Old 11-19-2008, 08:44 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by CWW
I find the Akebonos bite the same as the stock pads. I noticed no difference whatsoever. The EBC redstuff's I tried on my BMW did need to warm up a bit in order to bite as well as the stock pads, but it was only the first one or two stops in the morning where you'd notice it, and even then it was never anything unsafe or worrisome.

The other thing you have to remember is, the W211's are computer controlled brake-by-wire systems. I doubt you would/could notice any difference with the SBC brakes anyway.
I spent the morning reading yesterday and read on several sites people complaining that the initial bite was not the same but they were happy with no dust. I made this tradeoff once on another car which had about twice as much dust as the mbz, and was happy at the time. I then drove the same car with stock brakes and remembered how good the stock pads had 'initial cold bite' and although it wasn't much, the stockers were better. Not enough dust on the current car to be worth the loss in performance imo.... but i would love to compare two cars side by side!!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:40 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by Dogshine
I spent the morning reading yesterday and read on several sites people complaining that the initial bite was not the same but they were happy with no dust. I made this tradeoff once on another car which had about twice as much dust as the mbz, and was happy at the time. I then drove the same car with stock brakes and remembered how good the stock pads had 'initial cold bite' and although it wasn't much, the stockers were better. Not enough dust on the current car to be worth the loss in performance imo.... but i would love to compare two cars side by side!!!!

When I did my akebonos I traded out the stock pads for them, and didn't notice any real difference in bite. I did notice a difference in bite when cold with the EBC Red Stuffs I used before on a different MB. Maybe it depends on other factors? I'm not sure, I can only speak for myself, but I really didn't notice anything different when going OEM to akebono.

As to the dust, I dunno what MB you have that doesn't dust, but every one of them I've had has been atrocious with it. When's the last time you used ceramics? They've come a long way with them even in the last 2 years.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:21 PM

E55
Just Ordered ...

Using all your wonderful advice i went ahead and ordered the following ....

From RockAuto:
-AKEBONO EUR983 Ceramic Front Pads ($ 162.51 w/shipping)

From Parts.com:
-Mechanical Catalog - 2004 - Mercedes-Benz - E Class
Brakes, Brake components, Front brakes, Rotor, Rotor, e55 ($88.55 each)
-Mechanical Catalog - 2004 - Mercedes-Benz - E Class
Brakes, Brake components, Rear pads, Rear pads, e55 ($51.75)
-All 3 Sensors (2 front,1 rear) ($5.18 each)
-Total: $283.05 w/shipping

Total both: 445.56 - Front and Rear Brakes - I didnt need rear rotors though ... Figured I would go all OEM except for the AKEBONO's
I will give feedback on the AKEBONO's once i get them installed .. i still need to order the anti-squeal paste

.... So Parts.com doesnt list 03 e55 OEM brake parts so I ordered the 04's ... they are the same for both model years right??

Last edited by yeahdickey; 12-08-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:03 PM

2004 E55
Anyone know what range the thickness of the rotors should be before they need to be changed?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by david_d23
Anyone know what range the thickness of the rotors should be before they need to be changed?
The Brake rotor has a MIN Wear spec on the brake rotor...just wipe it clean and read the spec on the Brake rotor
Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
I paid $875 without tax for front pads/rotors/sensors installed
Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
man.. I should of read this thread late October..

I switched my front pads (left my rotors untouched) and I paid $210 for my OEM pads through a wholesale account at Laguna Niguel MB dealer.

Retail prices ranged from $280 to $300 depending on the dealer.

Dust is my biggest gripe right now.. therefore I will definately look this thread up again next year.

My rears are almost due and I'm going to switch to a different pad to try them out.

I still feel my C32 brakes better than my E55 and really would like to improve the initial bite of my E55.. its too floaty.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 AM

Mercedes Benz 2003 CLK500
Hi Guys!, This is a great thread. I am looking to change out my 2003 CLK500 front pads and rotors. Can you please provide some input on disabling the SBC system safely? Also, I see the Zimmerman rotors listed here, do I need ot step up to slotted or drilled for performance street driving, or will the ebc Redstufff and zimmerman brakes do the job? If so, that is great and saving me some $$$$. Your thoughts guysa re really appreciated..
Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
I replaced the OEM pads on my 2000 C280 with Akebonos a while back. I had horrible squeal problems with the rears. I had replaced the front rotors but the rears were within spec, so I tried using them. I cleaned them thoroughly with fine emory before installing the Akebonos. I used plenty of paste. The only cure was to replace the rear rotors. The dust from the Akebons is nearly invisible.

I just repalced the OEM pads on my 1995 C280 with Carbotech Bobcat 1521 with new rotors. There is very light dusting.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Does anyone have a link to the "DIY" for the brake job? Seems like I may be using incorrect search terms.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changing out brake questions!!!!!!