Sponsored by:

*** VRP X-pipe Holidays Special ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
for a 55 would the sound be different if u changed the straight pipes to the x pipe?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
Originally Posted by The Godfather
Not to be a dick or anything, but what's the difference betweent he $65 I spent to get my resonator removed and an X pipe made to replace and this setup?

A quote directly from this very good source...

"Extensive dyno work & highway testing has demonstrated that a simple crossover pipe -interconnecting the two sides of a dual-exhaust system just after the collectors & ahead of the mufflers- can increase engine power.
The power benefits of a cross-over pipe apply to both street & race cars, but the reason for power enhancement differs in each instance.
In an open exhaust race vehicle with a x-over between the collectors, the pipe transfers exhaust shock waves from one side of the system to the other.
With a street system, the x-over pipe performs an additional function: The x-over allows each side of the engine to partially share the combined muffler flow capacity.
Although, even the most effective x-over will not double system flow, improvements of 25% are common.
Crossover systems can be constructed in several different ways. The single, straight crossover is acceptable when muffler flow capacity is exceptionally high, but a double x-over system will increase performance if the mufflers are restrictive or engine output exceeds 350hp.
In simple terms, the more restrictive the mufflers, the more essential the x-over pipe becomes."
Old 02-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obsidian E55
Originally Posted by HYEPWR

"Extensive dyno work & highway testing has demonstrated that a simple crossover pipe -interconnecting the two sides of a dual-exhaust system just after the collectors & ahead of the mufflers- can increase engine power.
The power benefits of a cross-over pipe apply to both street & race cars, but the reason for power enhancement differs in each instance.
In an open exhaust race vehicle with a x-over between the collectors, the pipe transfers exhaust shock waves from one side of the system to the other.
With a street system, the x-over pipe performs an additional function: The x-over allows each side of the engine to partially share the combined muffler flow capacity.
Although, even the most effective x-over will not double system flow, improvements of 25% are common.
Crossover systems can be constructed in several different ways. The single, straight crossover is acceptable when muffler flow capacity is exceptionally high, but a double x-over system will increase performance if the mufflers are restrictive or engine output exceeds 350hp.
In simple terms, the more restrictive the mufflers, the more essential the x-over pipe becomes."
Old 02-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Not to be a dick or anything, but what's the difference betweent he $65 I spent to get my resonator removed and an X pipe made to replace and this setup
Mostly sound.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 PM

'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Any sound clips available?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by ENDSMTG
Any sound clips available?
+1
Old 02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
I am working on them.

To truly hear it, one needs a professional quality camera to record it.

I am working on having cars done professionally and to post them on the website.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by HYEPWR

Sorry, I did not explain myself well. I have my resonator removed and an X pipe put in its place for a total of $65. My question was, how does my cheap *** setup differ from the (very sexy looking I may add) VRP xpipe?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:16 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by The Godfather
Sorry, I did not explain myself well. I have my resonator removed and an X pipe put in its place for a total of $65. My question was, how does my cheap *** setup differ from the (very sexy looking I may add) VRP xpipe?
Serious ?? Well, mandrel bending and stainless steel. The VRP x pipe in bending and materials, labor to bend and weld is way over $65. more like $650...although the bends could be replace with a regular cross pipe considering the radius of the x turns....
Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
Originally Posted by LZH
Serious ?? Well, mandrel bending and stainless steel. The VRP x pipe in bending and materials, labor to bend and weld is way over $65. more like $650...although the bends could be replace with a regular cross pipe considering the radius of the x turns....
$650 to bend...?? Im in the wrong business
Old 02-04-2009, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by LZH
Yes serious. Ok so I can see the cost of craftmanship has its price, and in this case, it's 10 times more than what poor me spent. I was hoping there'd be something crazy about this thing in particular. I'll save that money for other mods
Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by motoE55
I had my resonator removed and straight pipes put in last week.Sounds a bit more deeper in the exhaust note now so i am happy.My question is,what is the advantage of this x pipe setup over straight through pipes?

the X-pipe does a few things..

It adds scavaging,, and balances out the V8 exhaust banks, and pressure,,

it adds about 2-5 hp, from the dyno's and techs I have talked to, from racing and exhaust..

most important, it balances out the sound,, making the car alot less burbly, and less motor boat like, and can smooth out the blum blub of the cylinder banks into a much smoother, midtone euro sound..
Old 03-01-2009, 05:10 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by LZH

well the magnaflow, X-pipe, and the people who invented the X-pipe for street cars, is mandrell bent and good,, I have one, and its perfect,
and under $100
its 304 stainless, mandrel bent, and a copy of nascar design.
however there are cheap chinese copies on ebay that suck
and I would not reccommend
Old 03-01-2009, 05:15 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by jikjak
for a 55 would the sound be different if u changed the straight pipes to the x pipe?

YES,, alot,, the unwanted burble, and blub blub sound goes away, that sounds like a motor boat from using straight pipes,aka CAMARO or MUSTANG muscle car sound and you will have with a X-pipe, a much more refined EURO sound,, with more balanced with constant sound mixing the exhaust from both exhaust banks, and a even midtone..
like that from a ASTON, or AUDI

assuming your put high flow bullet resonators after the X-pipe 1/2 way between it and mufflers, it will even sound better and reduce drone,
especially if you have a aftermarket loud exhaust..

they dont hurt exhaust flow at all as they are straight through high flow design, but merely harmonize and reflect unwanted frequencies..

the merc dealer mechanics always ask me what I did to the exhaust to make it sound so good.. and I tell and show them the REMUS catback exhaust with X-pipe,
and bullet resonators.

I have them on after X-pipe and it sounds really good..

Last edited by storm; 03-01-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by storm
YES,, alot,, the unwanted burble, and blub blub sound goes away, that sounds like a motor boat from using straight pipes,aka CAMARO or MUSTANG muscle car sound and you will have with a X-pipe, a much more refined EURO sound,, with more balanced with constant sound mixing the exhaust from both exhaust banks, and a even midtone..
like that from a ASTON, or AUDI

assuming your put high flow bullet resonators after the X-pipe 1/2 way between it and mufflers, it will even sound better and reduce drone,
especially if you have a aftermarket loud exhaust..

they dont hurt exhaust flow at all as they are straight through high flow design, but merely harmonize and reflect unwanted frequencies..

the merc dealer mechanics always ask me what I did to the exhaust to make it sound so good.. and I tell and show them the REMUS catback exhaust with X-pipe,
and bullet resonators.

I have them on after X-pipe and it sounds really good..
not to go off topic on this thread. Do you mind posting these picks on a new thread if possible ?

Just want to see
Old 03-01-2009, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Zod
not to go off topic on this thread. Do you mind posting these picks on a new thread if possible ?

Just want to see
Also, please list which Magnaflow part number you used.

And the X-Pipe replaced the resonator or the secondary cats or either?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E 6point3-sold- 11 caddy cts-v-sold, 2012 E63 Palladium Silver
bends

are you telling me that VRP has a mandrel bending machine. I highly doubt it, it cost 100's of thousands of dollars and the machine is huge- in most cases, you just buy pipes that have certain angles bent for 20-40 bucks a piece and cut and weld

you can buy the pieces yourself and take them to your muffler shop to put one together

http://www.spdexhaust.com/ServicesB.html

Originally Posted by LZH
Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by drop997stop
it cost 100's of thousands of dollars and the machine is huge-
Not true, New Benders are going for ~$50K and now there are plenty to be had for pennies on the dollar. The benders aren't that big either.

Having said that from what I've seen Vadim doesn't have a mandrel bender since all the photos of his "Prototype's" are crush bent