W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING: Read This Before Buying AMS (Abedin Motorsports)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by Fast55
No, it is not "decent quality". Not if it puts the engine it's installed on at risk.
There is no free ride in modifying a modern engine of any type/brand, far less so with a MB.
Look, I'm not defending Omey by any stretch of the imagination, because it's pretty clear the guy has a terrible persecution complex. His responses about how everybody's out to get him are nutty.

But with that said, your comments about the risks involved in adding a lightweight pulley, underdrive pulleys, whatever, apply to pretty much anything. There's always a decent chance that any mod you do will screw up the motor, that's certainly nothing new, and sure isn't at all unique to Abedin's products.

At least from the photos, his pulley looks to be of good *manufacturing* quality. My only point was that it didn't look like junk that's going to split into a million pieces two days after you install it. As to pulleys generally, well, we can debate the merits of lightweight and underdrive pulleys all day, and there will still be lots of people who disagree with you. Some people will still like them and others will still hate them.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Once again guys, this isn't about warning anyone against modding their cars, even mine is. There is nothing wrong with a pulley being made of aluminum. The problem is whether or not it is properly design to dampen vibrations inherent in the motor. I don't believe AMS has shown that, and there is no way the pulley can produce the claimed gains. They have even gone so far as to claim that an ECU tune is not required with the pulley, but they now offer one? Why? So the ECU tune can give you the power they claim that the pulley should but won't? Why again does no other tuner offer lightened pulleys? 'Cause they are a waste of money, even if it doesn't do any damage, that's why, but hey, it's your money.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Timdf and F1....

Just to set the record straight..

Over on the other MB board the super mods there validated my qualifications / experience to be accurate.

I've offered the same here to one of the mods as I have documentary proof of my experience and qualifications. No further action was taken - the nature of the 'action' is confidential between myself, the mod and site owners.

So I'm absolutely with Fast55 (and many others) about the potential for long term damage caused by reduced mass pulleys and the minscule power gains they provide.

As for the quality of the parts supplied by AMS - as I've said before they appear from the photo's to be a well machined component (as indeed they should be knowing where they're actually made). But that doesn't mean they are safe long term or produce the claimed gains.

I don't know Timdf, nor can I say that he has any experience in F1 or even rebuilding lawnmower engines, but I do know this: The claims made by AMS in regards to the possible gains from removing the stated mass from the crank pulley CANNOT be supported by mathematics.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Real old thread, I know

but did anybody ever have any longevity with these crank pulleys? I know a few people 10 years ago were saying “it’s been on my car for two years and it’s fine”

well has anybody had this pulley for 7 years and it was fine?