W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING: Read This Before Buying AMS (Abedin Motorsports)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3-pointed star
Exclamation WARNING: Read This Before Buying AMS (Abedin Motorsports)

*****If you are thinking of or have bought AMS parts please read this entire thread and its associated links*****

Hello,

Some of you may have seen me post before but I mostly lurk around the SLK55/CL55 sub-forums.

Well, I posted a thread and AMS Performance posted a couple times regarding modifications to SLK55s. His posts made me wonder about AMS' "reputation"... https://mbworld.org/forums/slk55-r17...ed-slk55s.html

For those who haven't heard of AMS, he is a sponsor for MBWorld: http://www.abedinmotorsports.com/products.htm

Coincidentally, I received a PM from a respectable MBworld member who will rename anonymous to protect him.

Here was his PM:

"Internet war with AMS....

Been there done that with the backing of quite few others over on BenzWorld - there's loads of info about AMS and their (actually OmeyHomey) nonsense. Search for posts by w5yk and bobterry99 amongst others.

I even had PM's from the admins saying they wish he'd just go away and he did - unfortunately to mbworld.

This link is classic Omeyhomey / AMS

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-cl...nk-pulley.html

What really gets me though is when he hypes his own products under various screen names such as E55 PWR, Dr.C36, C3sickness and others.

He calls himself a tuner when he's anything but. There's a copy of his business plan on Benzworld which explains in detail how he operates.

I doubt he'll engage you in a flame war as he knows he'll draw fire from many others who know his game...

Regards"

Here are links to the above image of how AMS conducts business/R&D:

AMS Pulley Tester

W210 E55 AMS Crankshaft Pulley Officially installed

Tester wanted for new lightweight Performance Crank pulley

G500 Performance Crank Pulley released

SL500 test car for Performance Crank Pulley
Old 11-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Yep, many of us are already well aware of his aliases and antics.

Good lookin’ out, but he’s a sponsor now.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Check out the W204 forum here. I asked for dyno's......the kids a fraud IMO.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:08 AM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
To be fair....

the AMS performance pulley is a nicely machined part, as it should be considering where it's made and who makes it - hint not in the US and not by AMS.

Check out the AMS business plan for the facts and profit margin.

Nobody disputes 'lighter is better' but not to the extent claimed by AMS.

Further the vastly overstated performance gains and mpg improvements do nothing for AMS's credibility - as witnessed here and in other forums.

My main engineering concerns relate to lack of adequate crank shaft torsional damping (this is different to harmonic balancing) which could lead to crank damage / failure and / or the pulley itself actually coming loose despite being torqued down to spec.

The latter has already happened to one unfortunate owner, apparently due to incorrect initial installation - at least according to AMS.

However, I had predicted this might happen and posit it was due to crank shaft resonance generating enough torque to effectively slacken and loosen the mount. Therefore anyone running this pulley should routinely check that it's adequately torqued down.

Finally it should be noted that an after market pulley can impact MB's willingness to honor warranty claims related to other pulleys, belts and idlers - again as others have found to their cost.

edit - PS I expect this thread to be deleted anytime now by AMS as doubtless he'll disagree.

Last edited by timdf; 11-19-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Omey homey told me that the torque converter dose not share its fluid and was not connected with the transmission. Omey has a lot to learn. I'll try to find the post, it is good for a laugh.

Here is one;
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ml#post2316968

EDIT
Ha Ha Homey had the post deleted, this was the one that homey stated the torque converter was not connected to the transmission.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ml#post2830983

Last edited by Yacht Master; 11-19-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
Yeah that dumbass has been posting over in the C36/43 forum for a while as well, making all kinds of absurd claims about what he can do with a naturally aspirated m104. When challenged with evidence to the contrary, he just starts insulting other members. It's laughable....mods, why is he still a sponsor?

Here's a good somewhat recent one:
Piggyback ECU upgrade

Not to mention this little gem, which speaks volumes about the "owner" of this "company":
Truth about Iran will definitely surprise you and other sympathetic words from Omeyhomey about Iran

Last edited by FLYNAVY; 11-19-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:17 PM

too funny......

Interesting thread - didn't realize Omey had such a 'reputation' for stretching reality, but on the basis of his other postings I should have expected as much.

Not to bash him personally as I'm sure he's a regular guy - but he should really cut back on the AMS product BS.

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY
Here's a good somewhat recent one:
Piggyback ECU upgrade
Why is that every time someone questions the performance numbers of AMS's products Omeyhomey immediately claims they're working for a competitor and telling lies and propaganda ? Of course they're not, I guess it's just Omey's way of dealing with an inconvenient truth.

As for me - no I don't and never have worked in the 'consumer engine tuning industry' - my sig explains my background and it's been verified by others as correct and truthful. In fact my ex co-workers used to have a good laugh at much of the snake oil which would be passed off as 'performance enhancements'.

Last edited by timdf; 11-19-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Omey the clown I had many run-ins w/him on Benzworld, my handle over there was Thediesel...
Old 11-19-2008, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Thericker
Omey the clown I had many run-ins w/him on Benzworld, my handle over there was Thediesel...

That was some funny stuff, I remember.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
That was some funny stuff, I remember.
He cried to the mods & got some of my best work erased! that lil' Fubar weasel
Old 11-19-2008, 09:01 PM

3-pointed star
Thumbs down AMS Poorformance

Originally Posted by timdf
Why is that every time someone questions the performance numbers of AMS's products Omeyhomey immediately claims they're working for a competitor and telling lies and propaganda ? Of course they're not, I guess it's just Omey's way of dealing with an inconvenient truth.
AMS Poorformance has no response to this thread. Either a) he is making millions of dollars selling high quality autoparts or b) he's running some kind of pyramid scheme with autoparts.

Here's his response to my SLK55 thread

"M5_forever, its obvious you are acting on behalf of one of our competitors, I do not know which one but moderators have been contacted and I find it Ironic that you are bashing our products on the eve of the release of our new product line. I have called for the opening of an investigation to see who you are acting on behalf and if we find out who things will get very ugly (legally). We do not tolerate libel/slander regarding our company and disciplinary action will be taken.

Everyone is correct, your attacks are transparent, cheap and uncalled for. The parent company that runs MBworld has also been contacted on your baseless propaganda.

We have not had any pulley failures. The only issue that has come up was Hooleyboys incident which was installation error. EVEN THOUGH the authorized MB dealership said it was not our fault we STILL replaced his pulley 100% free of charge, which shows the level of dedication to our customers and how much we stand by our products even though it wasn't our fault we replaced it anyways for the sake of "good will". Name one other tuner that has gone to those great lengths?

If you don't believe us you can ask Hooleyboy yourself and PM him.

Yet another pathetic attempt to make up lies & propaganda, Moderators you know what to do to this thread."
Old 11-19-2008, 09:41 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
The most twisted/ironic thing about this guy is, his stuff really does seem to be decent quality, at least judging by the hi-res photos I've seen of different things he sells, and from the people who've bought from him.

His problem is that he just plain loses it and goes off on these nonsensical rants, making grossly inflated claims and spinning conspiracy theories about how everyone's a competitor or out to get him. If he would just be realistic about his products, or just plain STFU, he'd probably have a lot of business. Screw, meet loose.

I can't figure him out.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
I agree....he probably sells ok stuff, it just isn't anywhere near the level of his claims. Seriously, you can sell stuff w/o being absurd about it. That said, I doubt this thread is going to tone him down much
Old 11-19-2008, 10:01 PM

That's exactly the point.....

Originally Posted by CWW
making grossly inflated claims
....which has been made time and time again by many experienced qualified / certified engineers both here and other forums.

ie based on detailed calculations and plain old fashioned commonsense the claims of power, torque and mpg gains have been proven to be incorrect by orders of magnitude.

It's clear that he cannot scientifically back these claims up by any form of calculation even when offered $$$ to do so - preferring instead to fall back on dyno's which as we all know are dubious for this purpose.

I also agree the pulleys are well made and he'd sell more if he didn't 'over market them' - but as he's taken a course in marketing, what do you expect ?

I guess all that's left to be done is for the mods to lock or delete this thread and move on.......

Last edited by timdf; 11-19-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS 55 AMG
The product looks nice but I'd never buy from someone that doesn't have a number listed on their website.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 PM

3-pointed star
Originally Posted by CWW
His problem is that he just plain loses it and goes off on these nonsensical rants, making grossly inflated claims and spinning conspiracy theories about how everyone's a competitor or out to get him.
Maybe he has a case of schizophrenia, atleast that's what I can tell from his posts.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:05 PM

3-pointed star
Old 12-03-2008, 01:20 AM

site sponsorship...

has come to an end for AMS on the other MB site - I wonder why ?

Originally Posted by M5_Forever
AMS Poorformance has no response to this thread. Either a) he is making millions of dollars selling high quality autoparts or b) he's running some kind of pyramid scheme with autoparts.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
+1...

Originally Posted by CWW
The most twisted/ironic thing about this guy is, his stuff really does seem to be decent quality, at least judging by the hi-res photos I've seen of different things he sells, and from the people who've bought from him.

His problem is that he just plain loses it and goes off on these nonsensical rants, making grossly inflated claims and spinning conspiracy theories about how everyone's a competitor or out to get him. If he would just be realistic about his products, or just plain STFU, he'd probably have a lot of business. Screw, meet loose.

I can't figure him out.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by CWW

I can't figure him out.
No, it is not "decent quality". Not if it puts the engine it's installed on at risk. Timdf is right on the money about the pulley's inability to dampen torsional harmonics. I would not be at all surprised to see every engine with this pulley, fail within 10-20K miles (possibly less). There is no free ride in modifying a modern engine of any type/brand, far less so with a MB. I suggest to anyone considering this product to ask the REPUTABLE tuners such as Renntech, Kleemann, Brabus, VRP, EVO, etc. why they do not make lightened crank pulleys.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Wow, interesting thread. Word of advice to you guys, try to stay away from any kind of aftermarket drive pullies. We 55k guys don't have much of a choice, but this lightweight stuff rarely, if ever, yield gains that outweigh the risks. 3-5hp is NOT worth losing sleep about whether within the next 10k-20k miles your crank might grenade...

-m
Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
OK so far on my car

I had it on my car for several thousand miles and so far no problems...
Vadim is upgrading my car now and has not advised me to remove it.
I listened to Vadim's suggestion to remove the CoolingMist due to hydro-lock risk but he's fine with the AMS Pulley.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by AMGSC
I listened to Vadim's suggestion to remove the CoolingMist due to hydro-lock risk
???

A mister has ZERO Chance of Hydro locking an engine, WI can BUT you'd have to leave the pump on and the solenoid for a LONG time.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
The problem is not so much that a crank might "grenade" as it will be hammered by the failure of the crank bearings. The excessive vibrations can cause extremely accelerated wear of the bearings, not an instantaneous failure, so if you need a bottom end repair in 10, 20, 30, even 50K miles, you may not attribute it to this modification, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a direct result of this product. I don't know Timdf, nor can I say that he has any experience in F1 or even rebuilding lawnmower engines, but I do know this: The claims made by AMS in regards to the possible gains from removing the stated mass from the crank pulley CANNOT be supported by mathematics. I hated algebra, and gagged on physics class, but I passed them both and my nose knows when something stinks. I would be far more inclined to keep a properly engineering water injection system on my car than this. If Vadim told you to remove the system you have, there is probably a very good reason for it. He is not the one who will be responsible for your engine if it suffers main bearing failure in another 10-20K miles. Once again, ask him why he doesn't manufacture and sell the same thing if it's so great. We NEED more sources for quality, well engineered, aftermarket parts for our cars. I truly believe AMS has the right intentions, just not the expertise to back up the claims that have been made, nor the wallet to cover themselves when things go awry.

Not to be a d**k, but I invite AMS to pursue "disciplinary action" as threatened to the OP on the "other" board.

Last edited by Fast55; 01-15-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
heh

Originally Posted by Fast55
If Vadim told you to remove the system you have, there is probably a very good reason for it. He is not the one who will be responsible for your engine if it suffers main bearing failure in another 10-20K miles. Once again, ask him why he doesn't manufacture and sell the same thing if it's so great.
Sorry I just had to laugh at this part. Btw I don't know if you are right or wrong regarding these pulleys ...

This is a link to a very familiar thread regarding crank pulleys ...

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-please-2.html

If you go down a few posts you will see a post by Vadim.

These are aluminum crank pulleys that I designed for evosport for C32. In 2002 we could not find a damper manufacturer that was interested in making one to our specs. So I had it made out of billet aluminum and used it on my car for over 120,000 miles without any problems. Evosport sold over 250 of ODPS kits with solid crank pulley and not a single problem with crank pulley running 19 lbs. of boost.

The reason why the aluminum survived is simply because woodruff key's function is not to keep the pulley from spinning off, it is to locate it on the crank.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WARNING: Read This Before Buying AMS (Abedin Motorsports)