Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool "Hidden" features about the E55 that are not very obvious

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Cool thread! Thanks.

Aaron
Old 06-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 coupe; 2007 E63 AMG (sold)
Yes vote for sticky
Old 06-04-2011, 08:06 PM

04 E55
I Can't get the windows to go down with the remote!!! This would be great if it worked lol
Old 06-05-2011, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I changed my command screen logo and also tried out the windows etc up and down with the key fob, it's awesome. Thanks!

Aaron
Old 06-05-2011, 01:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 F15 M, '06 E55, '20 Highlander, '18 M550
'Summer' mode is one of the greatest features, turns on the cooled seat too.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
I could never get my windows down with the fob either. Wonder if it doesn't work with keyless go??

Probably just have something broken.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
@bobgodd Were you on the drivers side point the key at door lock handle?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bobgodd
I could never get my windows down with the fob either. Wonder if it doesn't work with keyless go??

Probably just have something broken.
I have keyless go I did it just as the instructions say, it works.

Aaron
Old 06-05-2011, 04:23 PM

'07 e63 AMG, '06 e320 CDI, '07 ML350 4Matic, '18 Gls450, '12 cls550
Originally Posted by WHTEVO
I changed my command screen logo and also tried out the windows etc up and down with the key fob, it's awesome. Thanks!

Aaron
i tried to change my logo, but the option that was given wouldnt show it was all these other choices likr AMG_US or something like that
Old 06-05-2011, 07:00 PM

2008 e63 amg
Need to click on keyboard softkey to see the menu for amg logo in 08 e63
Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 PM

'14 C63 507, '11 C300, '96 Cobra, '91 Mr2
still can't get the windows to go down w/ the fob yet...this sux0r its like 150F out...
Old 06-08-2011, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Are you within 1 foot of the black square on the DRIVER SIDE door handle? if so, un lock the car but dont release the button, if nothing hit it again and hold. it should go down in 1-2 seconds. same steps with rolling the up
Old 06-08-2011, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
Are you within 1 foot of the black square on the DRIVER SIDE door handle? if so, un lock the car but dont release the button, if nothing hit it again and hold. it should go down in 1-2 seconds. same steps with rolling the up
See that seems to defeat the purpose if I have to be at the car to get everything to roll down... I might as well just get in and roll everything down. Otherwise I'm just standing outside (in the sun) staring at the car watching it "cool down."
Old 06-08-2011, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
See that seems to defeat the purpose if I have to be at the car to get everything to roll down... I might as well just get in and roll everything down. Otherwise I'm just standing outside (in the sun) staring at the car watching it "cool down."
It's true, I've no idea why Benz chose to use the infrared portion of the key to do this when the RF could've done it from a much greater distance (BMW, Lexus and others do it this way).

And the IR section of the key is so directional, you basically have to point it like a flashlight at your drivers side door handle for it to work.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:54 PM

04 E55
I could not agree with you more! MY infinity allowed me to roll my windows down from afar. I don't really see the point of putting the windows down when standing down next to the car.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
Yup, I basically put up the fob right up to the handle (and prolly looked ridiculous doing it) and held it down. No dice...

I just the car last week, got that and a few other electronic gremlins on the car I gotta get checked out (passenger side seat belt stays on w/o passenger, dynamic light won't come on in pass side).
Old 06-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Improviz
It's true, I've no idea why Benz chose to use the infrared portion of the key to do this when the RF could've done it from a much greater distance (BMW, Lexus and others do it this way).

And the IR section of the key is so directional, you basically have to point it like a flashlight at your drivers side door handle for it to work.
Exactly, that's how it worked on my 3-series, and on the convertibles it would also fold the top down for you...
Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM

04 E55 - 97 E320 - 85 300D
Originally Posted by unagi1
Exactly, that's how it worked on my 3-series, and on the convertibles it would also fold the top down for you...
I've been told that its a safety feature so you can't roll up the windows why not looking at the car to make sure not is between the window and window frame to get caught. This came from someone at MB USA. I hear they is a way to hit the unlock button and then hit and hold it and it will roll everything down using the radio part of the remote... haven't tried this yet.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:28 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by bobsiller
Need to click on keyboard softkey to see the menu for amg logo in 08 e63
sorry for the dumb question but what exactly does "click on keyboard softkey" mean??

i've got a 2008 E63 and have tried every possible scenario to get the AMG startup logo - can't seem to get it to work whatever i try.

if you had some very clear instructions would be most appreciated.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 PM

94/95 Supra,07 E63 AMG
This thread is awesome. It saved so many from creating new threads. Anyone care to add more info and featues to this thread please?

I summed it all up for everyone here.You can copy/paste and then print to leave in your car if you wish.Here is all the complied info up to here:

AMG Hidden Features:

Sneaky ECU Reset,
1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.
2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.
3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.
The ECU reset procedure only erases the ADAPTIVE transmission & throttle settings. It does not erase any of the fuel/timing or other programming.

hitting the up arrow on the steering wheel to stop the "open door" sound...

When you first start you E55 up, the COMAND system displays the 'STAR symbol. Well if you'd prefer to see the 'AMG' logo instead, then just do the following:
Turn ignition key to position 1 or 2.
2. Turn on Command.
3. Turn to Radio.
4. Press 5 (continue holding and wait 1 second).
5. Press 3 (continue to hold along with 5 key and wait 1 second).
6. Press 7 (continue to hold along with 5 and 3 keys and wait about 3 seconds).
7. A menu should appear. Scroll down and select "AMG211_ECE" option.
8. Switch off ignition, remove key and leave about 5 minutes before turning on again

63 & keyless: (55's read too, so you don't save stations)
Ok, I sit in the car, hit the keyless (or you can turn key) without starting the car - I think it works just the same if you start it, but I didn't test it.
I go right from the map for nav, this is kinda tied to the radio if you press those buttons, but mine was playing from the CD Changer. I am pretty sure you can actually do it from anywhere in the command system.
I press 5 (1sec) 3(1sec) 7(wait about 5 full Mississippi) (Middle, Top Right, Bottom Left - I have seen people do 7,5,3 and get confused)
Then you come to the menu, mine also offers me AMG 171 and some other options on there, like 6, haha.
Select either 171 and 211, I played with this before, its the same damn thing. Turn car off, if you have keyless, open the door.
Now this is the annoying part, it takes like 15+ full seconds before you can do anything or it won't work. If you try short of that, you will get the benz
Changing the Nav language to British English. The woman will speak to you with a British accent. Gotta get to the hidden menu to change it, and when you turn off the car it defaults back to US English

While driving - You can close all the windows + sunroof by holding the recycle air button. If you press it one more time back to fresh air mode, the windows + sunroof will open back up to what you had it set on before.
This is tunnel mode.

to enable dyno mode, get in the car and close the door. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to position 1, the SRS light should illuminate. Use the steering wheel buttons to move to the odometer screen on the cluster.
Push the R(reset) button three times fast, you will hear a beep,
and use the steering wheel arrow buttons to cycle through the menus until you arrive at the dyno test option. Plus+ button to engage. Proceed to start the car, put car in drive,
proceed to violently destroy 2 tires, a light pole in the parking lot, and any kids' bicycles laying around. When the fun is done, shut car off, and it will reset itself.

Climate Control Data
When engine running hold REST button for 10 seconds. Use fan + - bottons to toggle. or in my car the REST and A/C Off button are the
same so try holding down the A/C button, if that doesnot work try holding the OFF button. For the 05-06 model's we hold the driver side
AUTO BUTTON feature for 10 second's.
Once Climate Control Data menu pops up, use the driver side TEMP UP & TEMP DOWN for toggle.
1 in-car temp
2 temp outside
3 heater core temp, left
4 heater core temp, right
5 evaporator core temp
6 engine coolant temp
7 refrigerant pressure (in bars)
8 refrigerant temp
9 not used
10 blower control voltage in range .8 - 6V (max)
11 air pollution sensor
12 sun sensor
20 control current of aux fan
21 engine RPM (x 100)
22 vehicle speed, km/h
23 terminal 58d battery charge, percent
24 battery voltage
40 software status register
41 hardware status register
Celsius*9/5+32 = Fahrenheit It's that easy!
Summer Mode: Aim the remote at the sensor on the drivers side door handle, press unlock once, release, then press and hold it for several seconds. All 4 windows and the sunroow will open. To close everything, press lock once, release, then hold the lock button down.
If you release the button, all of the windows/sunroof will stop moving.
Nice light trick that just looks cool.take the lights from auto, one to the right, I then pull, I run the parking lights and the fog lights
the iPod integration kit manual, and you *should* be able to do this by hitting "aux" once the iPod is connected, and then you can scroll to the iPod menu (it should appear in the small cluster display below the speedo) via the paging buttons on the steering wheel.
To get to the different menus once there, you're supposed to use your little phone buttons to navigate. I'll quote:
NOTE
Depending on the active menu there are up to four possible actions available:
1. press (up arrow) or (down arrow) to scroll to another item within a menu
2. press (phone off hook) once to select a menu item
3. press and hold (phone off hook) to jump to the first song in a given list
4. press (phone on hook) to switch back to previous menu.
It supposedly allows you to shuffle songs, use playists, artists, albums, songs, genres, composers, audiobooks, and podcasts.
the mod for the cigarette lighter. I have not verified this, but as I understand the fuse can be switched to an adjacent position (15-14 I think) to switch the cigarette lighter from switched with ignition to electrified all the time.

How do we set the SBC-H and S? I know of the feature but had no idea. i usually put it in Comfort mode and it sits pretty still.
for SBC H squeeze the brake pedal and let go, the dash will say SBC H
for SBC S hold the cruise control lever downwards for a couple of seconds.
SBC STOP
The system offers several additional functions besides a new braking behavior, due to its electronic brain: In stop-and-go traffic the vehicle brakes automatically, when the foot is lifted off the accelerator pedal ("Traffic Jam Assist"). It can be engaged under 10 MPH,
using the the cruise control lever and switches off automatically at higher speeds. It remains active under 40 MPH. When engaged the instrument cluster indicates "SBC S". One can also activate it on downhill slopes via cruise control, so the car won't speed over the set limit.
It was deleted starting with MY 2005.
SBC HOLD A "drive-away assistant" prevents the vehicle from rolling backwards or forward when starting on a hill or steep incline. A firm push onto the brake pedal, and the car remains stopped, even when taking the foot off the brake pedal,
until the driver accelerates and the vehicle begins to roll.
When set, the instrument cluster indicates SBC HOLD. I like using this function and miss it when switching back to other cars. As far as I know it was first introduced in the spring of 2003 in the 04 E-class Estate and lateron in the 2004 SLs.
DRY BRAKE
And finally there is the dry brake function. It is always activated when the windshield wipers run. The system then knows, that it rains and, with short brake pulses unnoticed by the driver, keeps the brake discs always dry and fully functional.

Sbc h - say you are at stop light. Your leg is on the break. Squeez the brake pedal and lift you leg. The car will remain stationary.
Sbc s - say you are in stop and go traffic. Depress the cruise control lever to activate sbc s. Then everytime you let go of
the gas the brakes will be applied to stop the car. Only works until 40mph.

1,3,8 key function for Service CD prep

Hold down 1,3,8 just after COMAND is turned on without a CD in the drive and the COMAND will be in "auto update" mode ready for a service CD to be inserted.
What a service CD is ... I am not sure !!?? but I guess firmware upgrades for the AGW, Central Gateway and COMAND. The NAV firmware in our car can only be upgraded from the boot/trunk DVD drive.
Window roll down and up from outside with keyless go
To roll down:
Press and hold the lock button on the outside of the door handle. Without letting it go, now press and hold the unlock button on the back of the handle. All the windows and sunroof will go down while you are holding it and the driver side seat ventilator will come on. Sometimes I have to press the unlock twice to get it to work. Really nice in the summer.
To roll up:
Press and hold the lock button on the outside of the door handle. All windows and sunroof will go up while you are holding it.

Engine cooling, DIY on how to increase fan speed
Go into the AC fan menu
go to option 10 and turn up the fan speed on the AC rad.
use the right side temp buttons and press the temp increase button to go upto 99.
You put both sides on 72 degrees and hold the rest button for five seconds.
1) Started the car
2) Set both front AC banks to 72
3) Held rest for 5 seconds
4) Selected option 10 on the left
5) Turned the right number up to 66-99
If you do the above settings, and press and hold the "0"/off button for about a few seconds then exit the menu with the AC rest button prior to turning off the ignition, the settings will stay. If you turn off the ignition in the midst of being in the menu, the settings will reset.
And Option 20 seems to be the thermotronic LCD display brightness instead of whatever the have put in the forums. What I don't understand is that the settings can go from 0-99 then beyond that is a number with a small block like this -> "█00", "█01".
It seems to be like a number 1 the █ is representing.
But why wouldn't they just put a 1 instead of a █ ? When it hits "█01" the setting is super bright but the night auto dimming doesn't work.

Passenger side mirror auto adjustment while in Reverse can be disabled by toggling the Left/Right mirror selectors. Not sure, which is which - but next time while in reverse, tap the L/R mirror buttons.
First you have to set the position of the mirror when in reverse. Then, when you want it down, the passenger side mirror must be selected on the mirror adjustment buttons when backing up.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Nice summary. Might I suggest some breaks in between subjects using dashed lines?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by shardul
Climate Control Data

When engine running hold REST button for 10 seconds. Use fan + - bottons to toggle

1 in-car temp
2 temp outside
3 heater core temp, left
4 heater core temp, right
5 evaporator core temp
6 engine coolant temp
7 refrigerant pressure (in bars)
8 refrigerant temp
9 not used
10 blower control voltage in range .8 - 6V (max)
11 air pollution sensor
12 sun sensor
20 control current of aux fan
21 engine RPM (x 100)
22 vehicle speed, km/h
23 terminal 58d battery charge, percent
24 battery voltage
40 software status register
41 hardware status register
I scrolled the whole way through 0-99 and numbers aren't quite lining up with yours. #9 im pretty sure is boost. It idles at three and goes up around 15. Also my engine rpm is number 26. Anyone have this list for a 04 E55?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 PM

04 E55
Didn't work for me. Maybe because I have a check engine light on... also sometimes if I really mash on the throttle for a long time like at the strip the car seems to enter limp mode once I let off. I lose atleast 3/4 of the power for about 20-30 seconds, then it goes back to normal. Time for a check-up! Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by thumper823
#9 im pretty sure is boost. It idles at three and goes up around 15.
These superchargers do not make positive pressure at idle.

Originally Posted by thumper823
Didn't work for me. Maybe because I have a check engine light on... also sometimes if I really mash on the throttle for a long time like at the strip the car seems to enter limp mode once I let off. I lose atleast 3/4 of the power for about 20-30 seconds, then it goes back to normal. Time for a check-up! Any thoughts on this?
That's the supercharger getting heat soaked. It's quite common with these cars. Replacing the heat exchanger with a larger unit & replacing the recirc pump with a better unit are the most common ways to combat this.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 PM

03 E55
Subscribing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cool "Hidden" features about the E55 that are not very obvious