Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > E55 AMG, E63 AMG, E43AMG (W210, W211, W212,W213) > W211 AMG
Cool "Hidden" features about the E55 that are not very obvious >

Cool "Hidden" features about the E55 that are not very obvious

Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool "Hidden" features about the E55 that are not very obvious

 
Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
r00kie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 156
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 E55, 2015 ML350
Cool "Hidden" features about the E55 that are not very obvious

I've seen these types of threads on other car sites and found them very helpful for new owners (who knows, maybe some of the old-timers might learn something new too) . Basically, share with us some 'hidden' options/features that might not be evident to other E55 owners.


Maybe this can become a sticky if we can get some good info.

Please begin....
r00kie is offline  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
  #2  
PLATINUM SPONSOR
 
shardul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 11,362
Liked 160 Times in 135 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
my canadian spec car has a block heater (ie you can heat the engine block via an extension cable before starting the car)
__________________
E55
Preferred Contact method PM or email [email protected]
Instagram @shardul_amg @ultimatepd
NO TEXT MESSAGES THEY WILL NOT BE REPLIED TO
PLEASE DO NOT SEND MULTIPLE EMAILS /PM WITH THE SAME SUBJECT MATTER. ALL EMAILS / PM WILL BE RESPONDED TO WITHIN 24 HRS.
shardul is offline  
Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Deltron Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'03 E55 AMG
Deltron Zero is offline  
Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 PM
  #4  
Super Moderator
 
MJ50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 17,393
Liked 200 Times in 199 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
AMG startup logo on COMAND
MJ50 is offline  
Old 12-11-2008, 01:15 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
psuball1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 701
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Originally Posted by MJ50 View Post
AMG startup logo on COMAND
I have never seen that, where is it?
psuball1 is offline  
Old 12-11-2008, 01:15 PM
  #6  
Super Moderator
 
MJ50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 17,393
Liked 200 Times in 199 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by psuball1 View Post
I have never seen that, where is it?
either check my thread or STFF...
MJ50 is offline  
Old 12-11-2008, 03:12 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
W211 BEAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,230
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 E55 BEAST
+1 to AMG logo on startup... freaking awesome. I just wish it was the crest and not the logo
W211 BEAST is offline  
Old 12-11-2008, 07:29 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern Cali (Ontario)
Posts: 3,466
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
hitting the up arrow on the steering wheel to stop the "open door" sound...
TopGun32 is offline  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 416
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nascar
Originally Posted by TopGun32 View Post
hitting the up arrow on the steering wheel to stop the "open door" sound...
I had no idea about that one! I will try that out next time!

Any other hidden features like this?
ECBAOBAO is offline  
Old 12-11-2008, 10:29 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 246
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
i like that .... if at night...your headlights are on.......you drop someone off at the grocery store or something.....say ur just stopped there...after like 3-5mins of idleing; the headlights turn off....move a centimeter and the come on again....

pretty cool i think..
HYEPWR is offline  
Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 PM
  #11  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 550
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 E63, 2008 Range Rover Sport, 2010 GLK350
here is a trick that i dont recommend doing unless you have no one or anything near you. it makes the car go sideways.

1) shut traction control off
2) mash the gas petal
E55_GT3wheels is offline  
Old 12-12-2008, 02:48 AM
  #12  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMW 335d
Originally Posted by E55_GT3wheels View Post
here is a trick that i dont recommend doing unless you have no one or anything near you. it makes the car go sideways.

1) shut traction control off
2) mash the gas petal

Jep it will... Sort of... And then the ****ing ESP ruins it anyways... that is when I like to take a Beamer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70XwPsCdynQ

Thank God for giving me the "Dyno-Mode"... in the E55
doppioexpresso is offline  
Old 12-12-2008, 05:49 PM
  #13  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 574
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
03' E55 Techtite Grey
Originally Posted by doppioexpresso View Post
Jep it will... Sort of... And then the ****ing ESP ruins it anyways... that is when I like to take a Beamer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70XwPsCdynQ

Thank God for giving me the "Dyno-Mode"... in the E55
"Turn Traction Off" meaning the ESP. It's off, it won't ruin it Unless you drive like this loser that doesn't know what he's doing! It pissed me off so bad when I saw this video! He seems like he doesn't even remember to put it in drive at the beginning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCCCJ4NYnCE

Last edited by NSX2NV; 12-12-2008 at 05:52 PM.
NSX2NV is offline  
Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 PM
  #14  
Out Of Control!!
 
jangy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,394
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2015 S212
Big difference between pushing the ESP button and using Dyno mode. regardless of how rational we consider the video, you can not do that without using dyno mode. Turning off "traction" control only allows the car to spin under programmed parameters that the car considers safe (i.e. in a straight line). Again, like the video or pushing the car that much, but dyno mode is a different animal.
jangy is offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 09:51 AM
  #15  
Super Member
 
E55 Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 695
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2007 E63 Estate, 1995 Foed 4Door Bronco, 1969 Jaguar E-Type
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST View Post
+1 to AMG logo on startup... freaking awesome. I just wish it was the crest and not the logo
How is this done. Im not sure how to change it to the logo???
E55 Bulldog is offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 10:53 AM
  #16  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 574
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
03' E55 Techtite Grey
Originally Posted by jangy View Post
Big difference between pushing the ESP button and using Dyno mode. regardless of how rational we consider the video, you can not do that without using dyno mode. Turning off "traction" control only allows the car to spin under programmed parameters that the car considers safe (i.e. in a straight line). Again, like the video or pushing the car that much, but dyno mode is a different animal.
Jangy I bought my SB from you and don't want to argue but you're wrong. I have done massive doughnuts, power slides, burnouts, etc. with just the ESP off. To me it seems there are no parameters programmed. I'll make a video if you want.... with JUST the ESP off.
NSX2NV is offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 02:37 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Improviz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,679
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog View Post
How is this done. Im not sure how to change it to the logo???
Here you go:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/249404-command-change-logo-amg.html
Improviz is offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 03:00 PM
  #18  
Out Of Control!!
 
jangy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,394
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by NSX2NV View Post
Jangy I bought my SB from you and don't want to argue but you're wrong. I have done massive doughnuts, power slides, burnouts, etc. with just the ESP off. To me it seems there are no parameters programmed. I'll make a video if you want.... with JUST the ESP off.
Show me a 4 wheel drift with sustained power. I have never seen an E55 keep giving power after a moment of the front wheels sliding SIDEWAYS. You can argue with me anytime bro .
The other thing I wonder is how much traction you were dealing with? The reason I say what I do is from playing at the 1/4 mile track with DRs on. Note there is a huge difference between spinning the tires and laying rubber down. I could NEVER get the rears lit up well with just ESP off. i could spin them all day, but i couldn't grind the power into the pavement steadily.

I'll look up my book and list the exact parameters that are different. One that i remeber is the angle of lean between the flip sensors in the front end. They can not go past a threshold side to side. This feature is set to avoid a flip over, but dyno mode shuts it off 100%. Other features are that all SRS and safety features are completely shut off in Dyno mode.

Last thing.....why would MB put the time into having the Dyno mode if you got the exact same coding from pushing a button? It is simply a liability issue.
jangy is offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 04:05 PM
  #19  
Super Member
 
J 2OOI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 527
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 JDM
Changing the Nav language to British English. The woman will speak to you with a British accent. Gotta get to the hidden menu to change it, and when you turn off the car it defaults back to US English, BUT still my favorite hidden feature by far!!!
J 2OOI is offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 05:37 PM
  #20  
Member
Thread Starter
 
r00kie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 156
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 E55, 2015 ML350
Very cool...just did this on my car! Keep it coming guys!!
r00kie is offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 05:54 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
liquiddi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 368
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 E63 AMG
I guess you can't change the logo on the E63's? I tried and just can't get it to work???
liquiddi is offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 06:09 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Timeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,069
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by r00kie View Post
Very cool...just did this on my car! Keep it coming guys!!
Too bad it goes away so quickly though.
Timeless is offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 07:05 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aleksandar1099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,192
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 2 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by jangy View Post
Show me a 4 wheel drift with sustained power. I have never seen an E55 keep giving power after a moment of the front wheels sliding SIDEWAYS. You can argue with me anytime bro .
The other thing I wonder is how much traction you were dealing with? The reason I say what I do is from playing at the 1/4 mile track with DRs on. Note there is a huge difference between spinning the tires and laying rubber down. I could NEVER get the rears lit up well with just ESP off. i could spin them all day, but i couldn't grind the power into the pavement steadily.

I'll look up my book and list the exact parameters that are different. One that i remeber is the angle of lean between the flip sensors in the front end. They can not go past a threshold side to side. This feature is set to avoid a flip over, but dyno mode shuts it off 100%. Other features are that all SRS and safety features are completely shut off in Dyno mode.

Last thing.....why would MB put the time into having the Dyno mode if you got the exact same coding from pushing a button? It is simply a liability issue.
I have to agree... Using dyno mode will give you a very different result than just turning off ESP. Try turning off ESP then going around a corner, now try the same corner with dyno mode.... you will be doing 360's, believe me, I had a first hand experience with this, not really fun....
aleksandar1099 is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 01:55 AM
  #24  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 550
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 E63, 2008 Range Rover Sport, 2010 GLK350
yea dyno mode is scary. I did it once and its fun - as long as no cars are around!
E55_GT3wheels is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 03:09 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Bisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kildeer, IL
Posts: 432
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 E55
Newb question but what exactly is dyno mode?
Bisco is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Cool "Hidden" features about the E55 that are not very obvious


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: