Sponsored by:

Famoso Track Rental - Saturday 01/17/2009

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hotrod182
I hope you are kidding me, LOL. First of all the block of the S54 IS THE REASON why the engine is heavier. What kind of sources have you been going by?

Thats great that you are making money on your real estate investments, they must be abnormal just like your claims.

As far as me having to "settle" for a 335i? If you can read, I already told you that was my preference. There is not much price difference between the 2 in my opinion. Heck even my 05 M3 Vert was over $65K, and the 06 $61K. That is not much difference from $70K, and if you paid much more than that in today's market, I guess that justs shows what poor financial decisions you are capable of making.

What do you mean you will beat me on the straights, turns, whatever. You haven't even matched my time yet, and I already invited you to show me your "cornering prowess".

What would the smaller N54 engine do without turbos? I guess it wouldn't obliterate your car engine down low on the torque curve.

The N54 engine is a cheap piece of engineering? Lets think about this:

The N54 is the one that one the "International Engine of the Year Award" two years in a row.

The N54 is the engine that was just voted by Wards as one of the 10 best engines. So was the diesel version. And yes, your M3 engine was not on that list.

So who to believe, yours? Or the opinions of the professional automotive journalists? Hmmmm....tough choice.

The M3 engine while nice, is not revolutionary. In fact, on a side by side comparison with the RS4 engine, they were remarkably close. But of course the RS4 has DI, just as the N54 twin turbo does.

The more you talk, the more uneducated you seem, and the less facts you seem to back up your claims.

Any more outlandish claims you would like to elaborate on??

Gee, this is your first new car in like 4 yrs? Maybe you are just overly excited about it, and trying to justify your purchase
Iron is heavier, we all know, but the V8's block is LARGER. Come on, you should know this.

No, not abnormal investments, I just go by the income the properties bring in instead of the paper value. You should have cashed out so you would have money in your pocket instead of talking about what you "lost" which you never really had.

With BMW's .9% and the economy pushing the M3 into the hands of people who never would be able to afford it, ya, I suppose in theory you could make it work.

I got my car off sticker when the DCT first hit, doesn't sound like a poor decision. A poor decision is letting 700k flutter away into the wind. I don't think someone who announces that to the world should be questioning anyone else's finance. You certainly are not in the position to question mine.

My car isn't running the same setup it ran last time, wait and see.

The N54 is a piece of junk compared to the S65. The only reason the S65 doesn't sweep the international engine of the year category is because it is broken up by displacement. The highest category is 4.0 liter and up. Guess which motor has won 3 years running? The S85, the motor the S65 is based on. Hmmm, maybe you should look at what you are talking about instead of quoting it blindly? The fact remains the S65 is a better built motor with far more technology and better quality materials.

Sorry, it is the other way around regarding education. Spend some more time paying attention to your investments instead of talking on the internet and you might be making 700k instead of losing it.

My first new car in 4 years? Uh, I have purchased 4 cars in the past 4 years. You might want to stop making baseless claims, unless you enjoy looking like an idiot.

Last edited by sticky2; 01-05-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I have a feeling this thread will start to get out of hand Last time out to Famoso, everyone had a great time, enjoyed the event, and enjoyed pushing their cars to new limits without having a pissing contest with anybody else, so lets try to keep it as friendly as possible guys.... I want this event to be as much enjoyable as our last one. I've met all three of you at the track (Terry, sticky and hotrod182) and all of you are great car enthusiasts

A few points I'd like to share:

- sticky2, the SL63 comes with MCT transmission (similar to BMW's DCT), but unfortunately it is still slower than SMG and DCT: 100 ms shift time.

- Warren did try to make it to our last Famoso rental, but because it was a last minute thing, we couldn't open more than 10 spots (this is per Famoso owner) without jacking up the price real high or getting 30 additional cars in 3 days.

- I think what Warren was trying to say in regards to the modding ability of 335 vs M3 discussion was that you can make the 335 considerably quicker/faster very easily and very cheaply while with the M3, it would be a little harder and more expensive to do the same. For example, it takes $2k to gain 30% more power on 335 from a tune while it may take $10k to $15k to do the same to the M3. Now that doesn't make either car better or worse, it just depends on what you prefer. We've had many similar discussions on here with regards to the E55 vs E63.

- In stock form, I personally think the M3 is better all around car. The M tuned suspension, brakes, and crisp handling make the car more fun on the road course tracks. The launch control and DCT allow the car to still run well at the 1/4 mile. Also overall, the M3 looks better and sounds better.
Yes, we all had a great time. I enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to the next event.

Can't say I missed Warren being there, too bad, maybe he can make to third one?

The MCT is a great tranny but its based on the automatic. They just replaced the torque converter with clutch packs. It is not a true DCT. Still impressive though.

We all know the 335 is cheaper to mod. I specifically said that. Warren's issue is me, not the cars. Anyone can see the M3 is a better platform stock or modded. It just takes more money and is capable of greater gains.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by sticky2
The MCT is a great tranny but its based on the automatic. They just replaced the torque converter with clutch packs. It is not a true DCT. Still impressive though.
I still have mixed feelings about the new MCT tranny in the SL. I test drove the SL63 a couple of times and although I enjoyed the drive, I just couldn't make up my mind in terms of the tranny's overall performance I wish Mercedes made it shift much faster, but who knows, maybe that will be their next move. By the way, how fast does the DCT shift and where does it fit in the following list....

Bugatti Veyron (Direct Shift Gearbox): 8 ms
Ferrari F430 Scuderia: 60 ms
BMW M5 E60 (and M3) with SMG II/III: 80 ms
Ferrari FXX: Under 100 ms (claimed to be 60 to 80 ms but unverified)
Ferrari 360: 150 ms
Ferrari Enzo: 150 ms
Audi TT Quattro 3.2 (Direct Shift): 200 ms
Ferrari 575M: 220 ms
BMW M3 E36 with SMG I: 220 ms
Aston Martin Vanquish: 250 ms

Fastest manual shifter: 260 ms (consistency not verified)
The average manual car driver: 500 ms
A Long or Extended Shift Time is considered: 625 ms or more

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-05-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 AM

2008 Jeep SRT8.....Supercharged
Thanks MB forever
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Banned

I still have mixed feelings about the new MCT in the SL. I test drove the SL63 a couple of times and although I enjoyed the drive, I just couldn't make up my mind in terms of tranny overall I wish Mercedes would've made shift much faster, but who knows, maybe that will be their next move. By the way, how fast does the DCT shift and where does it fit in the following list....

Well, according to that list it would be the fastest.

BMW announced .004 of a second as the shift time, so 4 MS.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Updated list....

[.......] 01) rarfinancial - CLS63 - The Quickest/Fastest CLS in the country
[.......] 02) rarfinancial x2 - 1991 M5 - Custom Mods
[.......] 03) juicee63 - CLS63 - VR530 - The Quickest/Fastest CLS in Hollywood and LA County
[PAID] 04) MB_Forever - E63 P30 - Stock
[PAID] 05) 05whitehemi - QCSB Ram
[PAID] 06) URnext - SL55 - The Quickest/Fastest SL in the country
[PAID] 07) bassn_07 - E55 - VR600
[PAID] 08) sgtstanko - Jeep SRT8 - The Quickest/Fastest Jeep in the country
[PAID] 09) 426Hemi - 2008 Challenger - The Quickest/Fastest N/A Challenger in the country
[PAID] 10) Envied - Jeep SRT8 - Modded
[PAID] 11) LXCam - 06 Magnum - heads + cams + custom work
[.......] 12) sticky2 - M3 - Bolt-ons - The Quickest/Fastest E92 M3 in the west coast
[PAID] 13) Terry335 - BMW 135 - The Quickest/Fastest BMW 135/335 in the country
[.......] 14) James@ACGSD - E55 - Stage 4
[.......] 15) chiromikey - E55 - Stage 5 - The Quickest/Fastest E55 in the west coast (until he runs BenzGal )
[.......] 16) bluemonster - E55 - Stage 5
[.......] 17) benzoboi - E55 - Stage 3
[.......] 18) amg_55 - 997s
[.......] 19) sergs99m3 - 03cobra or e36 m3
[.......] 20) thaichi808 - BMW 540i dinan sc wagon
[PAID] 21) cruzinquick - Crossfire - Bolt-ons
[.......] 22) psuball1 - E55 - Stage 5
[.......] 23) BENZGal - E55 - RennTech Custom Made - The Quickest/Fastest Female Benz Driver In The Nation
[PAID] 24) jrcart - CLK63 BS - Evosport + NOS - The Quickest/Fastest 63 in the country
[.......] 25) Rabdog - E60 M5 RPI Stage 2
[PAID] 26) keang24 -E60 M5
[.......] 27) vegastrashed - E63 AMG - Custom Mods
[.......] 28) MPower82 - E60 M5 RPI stage 1.5
[PAID] 29) Hemi@last - Jeep SRT8
[.......] 30) gE63 - Cobra - 9 second car
[PAID] 31) -----> Special Mystery Guest <-----

Guys, whenever you decide for sure you will come or not come, please let me know as soon as possible, so that I can give a chance to someone on the waiting list. Please do not wait until the last minute like what happened last time.

Here is the updated waiting list....

1) Bryce - 2006 300SRT8
2) Max.H - E55 - Stock
3) Brute SRT
4) TectiteK4E55 - E55 - Kleemann Stage 4
5) jrcart+1
6) YoungMedic23
7) TravisM6 - BMW M6 - Stage 2+
8) Bryan55 - C6 Z06 - Bolt-ons
9) palantirion - 2007 Z4 M Coupe/2003 M5
10)
Old 01-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Banned

MB Forever, I sent payment the other day, but the list says I did not pay.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 AM

335i
Yeah, sorry about that forum members. But the aluminum block is heavier because its bigger? That takes the cake! Sticky, have you seen an inline 6 and small V8 block side by side?? You make a lot of assumptions. FYI: If I would have sold my properties I would have lost the money. So yes, its just paper value. I still make nice rental income, but I'm still cautious, thats all. Not need for you to overanalyze and jump to erroneous conclusions. Lets just leave it at that. There are a lot of nice people on this forum. I don't want to get banned like Sticky has been before. At this point, its not even worth arguing the point.

But if you can't beat my times at the strip, then it would be nice to see how you run away from me in the canyons, so I can post the video. I look forward to it. We meet with the Lotus Group on Sunday mornings around 9am, at the top of Stunt Road! I know you should beat me, I'm just curious by how much. As I am sure many forum members would like to know too!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Banned

Yeah, sorry about that forum members. But the aluminum block is heavier because its bigger? That takes the cake! Sticky, have you seen an inline 6 and small V8 block side by side?? You make a lot of assumptions. FYI: If I would have sold my properties I would have lost the money. So yes, its just paper value. I still make nice rental income, but I'm still cautious, thats all. Not need for you to overanalyze and jump to erroneous conclusions. Lets just leave it at that. There are a lot of nice people on this forum. I don't want to get banned like Sticky has been before. At this point, its not even worth arguing the point.

But if you can't beat my times at the strip, then it would be nice to see how you run away from me in the canyons, so I can post the video. I look forward to it. We meet with the Lotus Group on Sunday mornings around 9am, at the top of Stunt Road! I know you should beat me, I'm just curious by how much. As I am sure many forum members would like to know too!
I guess we will see what I run won't we? All I know is the fastest N54 car will be there, the tuners own car, driven by the tuner.

I'm just an amateur with an M3 doing this for fun with no vested business interest. So if I beat the fastest N54, which has had a 2 year head start of development, while on on pump gas, I will look at that as incredibly impressive. I'm sure you will still nitpick something though.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
MB Forever, I sent payment the other day, but the list says I did not pay.
The payment goes into my friend's account. I set it up that way because he has a much more established business/corporate account with PayPal and he does a lot of work for the track already (contractor). He usually forwards me the information of everyone who paid as the payments come in. However, he's been out of town yesterday and today, so I haven't been able to contact him. But no worries, I'll update the list tomorrow with all payments that came in over the weekend....

I'm very impressed with the DCT tranny and how fast it shifts. Do you have any links to any articles discussing shift time speeds, technology, etc...? I was under the impression that it shifted at 40 to 50 ms, but 4 ms is truly

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-05-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:57 AM
SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a feeling this thread will start to get out of hand Last time out to Famoso, everyone had a great time, enjoyed the event, and enjoyed pushing their cars to new limits without having a pissing contest with anybody else, so lets try to keep it as friendly as possible guys.... I want this event to be as much enjoyable as our last one. I've met all three of you at the track (Terry, sticky and hotrod182) and all of you are great car enthusiasts
Very true! My fault for getting the thread off track
Old 01-05-2009, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Terry335
Very true! My fault for getting the thread off track
No problem Terry, the info posted was actually very interesting read....

By the way, I can't wait to see your latest numbers at Famoso
Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
I still have mixed feelings about the new MCT tranny in the SL. I test drove the SL63 a couple of times and although I enjoyed the drive, I just couldn't make up my mind in terms of the tranny's overall performance I wish Mercedes made it shift much faster, but who knows, maybe that will be their next move. By the way, how fast does the DCT shift and where does it fit in the following list....

Mo,
The MCT is supposed to shift in 100 milliseconds. We can improve on that just as we do with the E60/E63 SMGs and E92 M3 DCTs. Actually we can do it to every car on that list.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:21 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by YoungMedic23
Thanks MB forever
Sup Paul.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:58 AM

335i
I guess we will see what I run won't we? All I know is the fastest N54 car will be there, the tuners own car, driven by the tuner.

I'm just an amateur with an M3 doing this for fun with no vested business interest. So if I beat the fastest N54, which has had a 2 year head start of development, while on on pump gas, I will look at that as incredibly impressive. I'm sure you will still nitpick something though.

I will be the first to congratulate you, as long as it isn't done with nitrous. Terry's intake/exhaust/turbos, etc is the way he drives it daily. He may perhaps try different tires, and of course good fuel. Either way, I wish you good luck against the 135i. There is always going to be someone faster, so at this point, I am just trying to get all my cars in the 11's with tune only. Keeping the stock exhaust, cats, intake, etc.

Last edited by hotrod182; 01-05-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Banned

I will be the first to congratulate you, as long as it isn't done with nitrous. Terry's intake/exhaust/turbos, etc is the way he drives it daily. He may perhaps try different tires, and of course good fuel. Either way, I wish you good luck against the 135i. There is always going to be someone faster, so at this point, I am just trying to get all my cars in the 11's with tune only. Keeping the stock exhaust, cats, intake, etc.
If I was going to use nitrous, wouldn't I just say it now?

Is this some kind of super secret racing society or something?

Different tires and different fuel is not a daily setup. That makes a big difference. Without the tires and the fuel the N54 is NOT capable of 11's.

Yes, there is always someone faster, but that was not the direction in which the discussion was forced. It was another 335 vs. M3 debate.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
If I was going to use nitrous, wouldn't I just say it now?
Not necessarily nor likely. What cheater tells that he is planning to cheat?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:52 AM

E550, ML550
Well, according to that list it would be the fastest.

BMW announced .004 of a second as the shift time, so 4 MS.
4 ms
Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jangy
Not necessarily nor likely. What cheater tells that he is planning to cheat?
True, but why are you assuming I am a cheater?

Everything I said that was on my car at the previous event is what was verified as what was on my car. My hood was up, my trunk was open, what I said was there was there.

So, now all of a sudden, I am planning on cheating after already having credibility? The same thing will happen again, I'll pop my hood, pop my trunk, and that will be that.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 AM

SLK55 AMG
335s are monstrous after they are unleashed
Old 01-05-2009, 04:16 AM

2004 C32 - Stock
i wish i can make it, sounds like it will be a blast
Old 01-05-2009, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
True, but why are you assuming I am a cheater?

Everything I said that was on my car at the previous event is what was verified as what was on my car. My hood was up, my trunk was open, what I said was there was there.

So, now all of a sudden, I am planning on cheating after already having credibility? The same thing will happen again, I'll pop my hood, pop my trunk, and that will be that.
sticky2, I got your payment confirmed, thanks....
Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by MHP
Mo,
The MCT is supposed to shift in 100 milliseconds. We can improve on that just as we do with the E60/E63 SMGs and E92 M3 DCTs. Actually we can do it to every car on that list.
Andy, do you know how fast the 7-speed in the E63 shifts? AMG always quotes that it shifts 50% faster than the regular Mercedes tranny, but we don't have any numbers on that either
Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 AM

2004 C32 - Stock
Andy, do you know how fast the 7-speed in the E63 shifts? AMG always quotes that it shifts 50% faster than the regular Mercedes tranny, but we don't have any numbers on that either
I believe it was posted at 280 ms
Old 01-05-2009, 04:27 AM

2004 C32 - Stock
Have you guys set up the February rental yet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Famoso Track Rental - Saturday 01/17/2009