Electrical problems 2005 e55, 40k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55
Electrical problems 2005 e55, 40k miles

I have been having some electrical issues that I am hoping to get some guidance on. A few days ago there was a hot/burning smell inside the car. That smell went away, but the car started indicating that the battery level is low and the some convienience features were not available. I called the dealer and he said to drive the car for at least 15 minutes and see if the indicator goes away. The indicator light did not go away. I drove this morning to replace the battery. Before I could make it to pick up the battery the car started throwing all kinds of warning codes. ESP not functioning, reduced braking power, abs inactive, visit service center soon. In addition to these warnings, the brakes were vibrating and the engine was at reduced power. I turned off the highway at the dealer exit and made it to about 200 yards from the dealer before the car completely died. I walked into the dealer and picked up a service loaner. They are supposed to drag the car the last 200 yards to the dealer and let me know what they find when they look at it.

Any one have any ideas what would cause all of this mess? The car is well under warranty, so alll of this should be covered. With only one more year under warranty, it makes me want to sell the car even though I really enjoy it.

Thanks for any guidance from anyone who can offer it!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Maybe some issued with the alternator. Don't worry it will be covered under waaranty.
Enjoy the car
A mechanical device will always breakdown, that doesnot mean it is bad.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E55
Originally Posted by shardul
Maybe some issued with the alternator. Don't worry it will be covered under waaranty.
Enjoy the car
A mechanical device will always breakdown, that doesnot mean it is bad.
Alternator is a good fit for the symptoms. Frustrating as heck to get stranded. At least it was not far from help. As you living it Texas, you can get stranded in a serious way here. (I am over in San Antonio)

Does anyone know if this car has two batteries?? Dealer told me that and I was unaware. I only knew of the one in the trunk.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by Friction
Alternator is a good fit for the symptoms. Frustrating as heck to get stranded. At least it was not far from help. As you living it Texas, you can get stranded in a serious way here. (I am over in San Antonio)

Does anyone know if this car has two batteries?? Dealer told me that and I was unaware. I only knew of the one in the trunk.
yes i understand even talking 200 yards can seem amile on the freeway feeder.
i also didnot know the e55 had 2 batteries.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG; 1995 Porsche 993 Cab.
2 batteries in these cars.

Main one in the trunk.

Smaller one under the hood, under the passenger compartment air filter (top left of engine bay just ahead of passenger side firewall). The small one runs the cabin "convenience" functions so that the radio doesn't die when you crank the engine (ever noticed that?), maybe the keyless entry system and others I forget.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by D Bst
2 batteries in these cars.

Main one in the trunk.

Smaller one under the hood, under the passenger compartment air filter (top left of engine bay just ahead of passenger side firewall). The small one runs the cabin "convenience" functions so that the radio doesn't die when you crank the engine (ever noticed that?), maybe the keyless entry system and others I forget.

Radio doesn't die/decrease volume..... Very neat I like that! Never noticed......
Old 12-16-2008, 03:04 PM

E55
I had a similiar problem awhile back ago. The car got gradually worse day by day till the point the car would not even unlock or lock after i turn off the car for 2 hours. So i had the both the batteries replaced and yet the car would be completely dead after couple hours. The dealer checked the alternator and found nothing wrong with it and with no fault codes with every single test available and were stumped. Than at the last minute while the technician and I were talking something in my trunk started make noise(Fan noise to be exact). He took the side panels out and found out that my factory amp was extremely hot and the fans were running without the key in the ignition. Eventually we found out that the factory amp somehow shorted out extremely.....When they replaced it i had zero problems. Have your tech check that it out it might be whats causing the same problems i had.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E55 AMG
The battery in my '05 with 30,000 miles died the other week. Had a few warning lights pop up but not to the extent that you are talking about. The radio and other such features stopped working. They switched out the battery and everything is good now.

-Paul
Old 12-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E55
Originally Posted by LazyE55
I had a similiar problem awhile back ago. The car got gradually worse day by day till the point the car would not even unlock or lock after i turn off the car for 2 hours. So i had the both the batteries replaced and yet the car would be completely dead after couple hours. The dealer checked the alternator and found nothing wrong with it and with no fault codes with every single test available and were stumped. Than at the last minute while the technician and I were talking something in my trunk started make noise(Fan noise to be exact). He took the side panels out and found out that my factory amp was extremely hot and the fans were running without the key in the ignition. Eventually we found out that the factory amp somehow shorted out extremely.....When they replaced it i had zero problems. Have your tech check that it out it might be whats causing the same problems i had.
That would explain the hot/burning smell a few days ago! Interesting, thanks.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
I have been having some electrical issues that I am hoping to get some guidance on. A few days ago there was a hot/burning smell inside the car. That smell went away, but the car started indicating that the battery level is low and the some convienience features were not available. I called the dealer and he said to drive the car for at least 15 minutes and see if the indicator goes away. The indicator light did not go away. I drove this morning to replace the battery. Before I could make it to pick up the battery the car started throwing all kinds of warning codes. ESP not functioning, reduced braking power, abs inactive, visit service center soon. In addition to these warnings, the brakes were vibrating and the engine was at reduced power. I turned off the highway at the dealer exit and made it to about 200 yards from the dealer before the car completely died. I walked into the dealer and picked up a service loaner. They are supposed to drag the car the last 200 yards to the dealer and let me know what they find when they look at it.

Any one have any ideas what would cause all of this mess? The car is well under warranty, so alll of this should be covered. With only one more year under warranty, it makes me want to sell the car even though I really enjoy it.

Thanks for any guidance from anyone who can offer it!
Does it says something like "Low Battery Conv." ????
Old 12-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E55
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Does it says something like "Low Battery Conv." ????

It did before it died! "low battery, some convenience options not available"

After the car would sit for awhile, the message would say "convenience features restored" and then a few minutes later go back to the low battery warning. I get the gut feeling that it is more than just the alternator. The dealer just called me and said they are replacing the alternator, so we will see in a day or two if that is it. I have a year left under warranty and I am already getting nervous.

sorry for all the bad spelling! spell check is blocked at my office in this application.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
It did before it died! "low battery, some convenience options not available"

After the car would sit for awhile, the message would say "convenience features restored" and then a few minutes later go back to the low battery warning. I get the gut feeling that it is more than just the alternator. The dealer just called me and said they are replacing the alternator, so we will see in a day or two if that is it. I have a year left under warranty and I am already getting nervous.

sorry for all the bad spelling! spell check is blocked at my office in this application.
No u ok ....anyway, the reason I asked that question because I went to the dealer to test the E55-05 the other day and it displayed the samething that u had....so I was thinking something wrong with this car but I have no clue whats going on. Not to mention that steering wheel shaking like crazy eventhough im only driving 60mph and the car selling for $40K with 42,000 mileage is that insane ??? lol hope your car get fix bro.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
3 yrs from new we should all be changing battries preemptively. Mine went out and MB came by and replaced under warranty, sweet
Old 12-18-2008, 04:10 AM

2003 E55 Blk/Blk
I think I may have the same smaller battery issue. Ive had that malfunc pop up and say convenience stuff turned off. So what should I do? Test the battery under the filter in the front? It turned my heated seats off too lol...what do I do?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E55
Originally Posted by HAHA BYE
I think I may have the same smaller battery issue. Ive had that malfunc pop up and say convenience stuff turned off. So what should I do? Test the battery under the filter in the front? It turned my heated seats off too lol...what do I do?
My problem turned out to be the alternator. I got the car back from the dealer this morning and all seems well with only the alternator replaced. I will pre-emptivly replace the batteries soom. Unfortunately I need rear tires too. when it rains, it pours!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 AM

2003 E55 Blk/Blk
lol true...were your heated seats off? It makes my radio play out of only the back speakers with zero bass at all. Did your radio not work?