Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
Hack time: Operation telephone

Hey all,

Long time...

I was wondering if it'd be possible to hard-wire a phone to the microphone system that has been put in our E55's. I'm assuming we all have a mic somewhere, if not only to speak with the emergency service.

Ideally, I'd make a connector that would plug into my iPhone: one side goes to the built-in microphone system, the other to my aux in located in the glovebox. That way I can listen to music on my phone, answer calls hands free (the caller's voice coming through the speakers via the aux in).

Possible or digital nightmare mess? It'd be a poor man's integrated ipod/cellphone if it is only a matter of splicing.

I suppose getting the microphone to turn on and off is itself a complication, so I'll look forward to yet another idea getting shot down in a post or two.
Skeeter
Old 12-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 712 Likes on 693 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
if u have 03-04 W211, then u can get factory BT puck w/ tail...
otherwise, mobridge bt kit is the next best option...
last and most pricey option is factory UHI kit with iPhone cradle...
Old 12-22-2008, 03:50 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
in my car i can hook up the iphone to the ipod connector, it pauses music when a call comes thru and plays it again when i hang up. the iphone connects via bluetooth with the MHI puck though.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Almost a Member!

c55
So does the 2003 - 2004 model E55s have hands-free capability if a bluetooth puck accessory is used to connect your phone to the car? Is that true for all E55s or would you have to have a certain option package for that to happen?

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I'm still looking for an E55, am most interested in the 03 and 04 models (most affordable) and having hands-free capability is important to me.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 712 Likes on 693 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by kccougar
So does the 2003 - 2004 model E55s have hands-free capability if a bluetooth puck accessory is used to connect your phone to the car? Is that true for all E55s or would you have to have a certain option package for that to happen?

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I'm still looking for an E55, am most interested in the 03 and 04 models (most affordable) and having hands-free capability is important to me.
STFF... there's a thread about this...
BT puck w/ tail works on all 03-04 W211 models...
Old 12-26-2008, 05:41 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
I have an '05 with no phone option installed. I remember that the cost of installation was crazy high, like the iPod install, and cobbled together an ugly cable. The cable is a Y, with one branch going to the aux in inside the glove-box, then the other to a corded microphone, with all of this plugging into my iPhone. Then I play music on the phone (stereo in AUX mode), and when the phone rings I click the mic (it has a button on it), it mutes the music, switches to phone mode, letting me converse through the mic and hear the caller through the speakers. Works, just ugly and inconvenient (no dock, wires running around, etc.

If I could skip having a microphone wire the entire thing would be way more clean. And the car DOES have a microphone built in... Frustrating. Guess I'll have to shell out the dough for the phone install and go aux in/bluetooth to get the factory microphone in play and keep all the wires out of view...

Anyone done a BT/Phone install? Cost?

Thanks all,

Skeeter
Old 12-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Skeeter
If I could skip having a microphone wire the entire thing would be way more clean. And the car DOES have a microphone built in... Frustrating. Guess I'll have to shell out the dough for the phone install and go aux in/bluetooth to get the factory microphone in play and keep all the wires out of view...
I have this and it works great. Total integration with the factory command. I am selling mine so PM me if your interested.

http://www.incartronics.com/MBMost.h...Class=E?&VIM=1