W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loss of power then blower shut off

Old 12-26-2008, 12:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG Kompressor
loss of power then blower shut off

Took my e55 2003 model out for a big thrash on a cold night it was pulling very hard turning the tyres hard in first and in to second gear with esp on lol i was giving it alot of stick then on the way home i gave it a big hit from stand still to 200kmh then after that i gave it a few hits and it did not feel like it was going that fast i felt like it had lost some power then after a few more hit's i think the blower turned off it would not kick back and it was so so so so slow it was very slow then i just drove it home slow then i heard the sound of the blower turning on and it felt more power full down low then i just took the car home today i drove it again it was a very hot day power felt like it was back to normal it was not pulling as hard as that night but it was very cold that night and today it was very hot so im guessing its just the heat so i guess it's back to normal i think helppppppp guys whats going on i have heard the blower turns off when it gets hot but should the car loss power even be4 the blower turns off like it did to me i felt a power lose but the blower was still on then a few more hits turned the blower off i new it was off coz it felt slower then a push bike lol and it would not kick back
Old 12-26-2008, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Crossfire SRT6
Sounds your intercooler pump failed and your IAT temps caused the SC clutch to disengage your SC to prevent permanent failure. Simple fix with a bosch ford lightning pump on ebay or if your under warranty.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:38 AM

E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by cruzinquick
Sounds your intercooler pump failed and your IAT temps caused the SC clutch to disengage your SC to prevent permanent failure. Simple fix with a bosch ford lightning pump on ebay or if your under warranty.
ok coz i lost power be4 the sc turned off it might be the pump stopped so i was getting hot air and thats y it did not feel that fast then the car felt to much hot air and turned off the sc ??

But today it felt ok can the pump be on its way out like still working but not so good ?

Last edited by Ohbev; 12-26-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:56 AM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
The pump may be on it's way out. So yes the temp sensor tells the ECU your reaching dangerous levels and saves your supercharger. Or at least that the intention of it. No supercharger and night and day difference.

Today you car cooled and maybe the pump was working fine and coupled with not pushing the car hard, kept it running.

You still under warranty?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
this is a known and common problem. the stock i/c pump will start intermittant failure before completely going out. this will cause iat's to spike above 140 degrees which will in turn cause ecu to pull timing and boost and dump fuel therefor limiting power. if iat's continue to rise another 60 degrees your s/c will shut off you lose what feels like all your power.

mb will replace your i/c pump with an improved version of the oem bosch pump if you are still under warranty (and maybe if you're out of warranty with a good service advisor). if not the johnson cm30 pump is an improvement and shouldn't cost much more than $150-200 parts and labor (less than $100 if you can diy).
Old 12-26-2008, 03:44 AM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Here's the link in case you have to do it yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-26-2008, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by chiromikey
this is a known and common problem. the stock i/c pump will start intermittant failure before completely going out. this will cause iat's to spike above 140 degrees which will in turn cause ecu to pull timing and boost and dump fuel therefor limiting power. if iat's continue to rise another 60 degrees your s/c will shut off you lose what feels like all your power.

mb will replace your i/c pump with an improved version of the oem bosch pump if you are still under warranty (and maybe if you're out of warranty with a good service advisor). if not the johnson cm30 pump is an improvement and shouldn't cost much more than $150-200 parts and labor (less than $100 if you can diy).
+1
Old 12-26-2008, 04:55 AM

E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by chiromikey

Thanks to every one for there help and chirsomikey i think you are 100% right after i went from 0 to 200kmh the next 2 times i put my foot down the car did not go like be4 i could feel a big power lose it would have been pulling timing and boost then i keeped giving it and it turned off the sc so i guess your 100% right i got the car from a benz dealer it had 56k on it and they gave me 1 year warrenty with it not factory warrenty but there own so there should be no problem coz they are one of sydney biggest benz dealer with large work shop and i have papper work on the warrenty

when they fit the new pump do i need to reset the ecu or any thing ?to make sure it does not pull timing or boost

when i fix the pump will the car pull hard like be4 ?

Last edited by Ohbev; 12-26-2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by Ohbev
Yes. You just will keep your IAT down thus not having the S/C shutoff on you, therefore having plenty of power on tap to prey on lesser cars.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Took my e55 2003 model out for a big thrash on a cold night it was pulling very hard turning the tyres hard in first and in to second gear with esp on lol i was giving it alot of stick then on the way home i gave it a big hit from stand still to 200kmh then after that i gave it a few hits and it did not feel like it was going that fast i felt like it had lost some power then after a few more hit's i think the blower turned off it would not kick back and it was so so so so slow it was very slow then i just drove it home slow then i heard the sound of the blower turning on and it felt more power full down low then i just took the car home today i drove it again it was a very hot day power felt like it was back to normal it was not pulling as hard as that night but it was very cold that night and today it was very hot so im guessing its just the heat so i guess it's back to normal i think helppppppp guys whats going on i have heard the blower turns off when it gets hot but should the car loss power even be4 the blower turns off like it did to me i felt a power lose but the blower was still on then a few more hits turned the blower off i new it was off coz it felt slower then a push bike lol and it would not kick back
Punctuation is your friend...that is one big run on sentence.

Is your car under warranty? Have you had the car long enough to know if it has ever done this before? Luckily it sounds like your repair should be fairly easy to do. Also, is your car 100% stock?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks to every one for there help and chirsomikey i think you are 100% right after i went from 0 to 200kmh the next 2 times i put my foot down the car did not go like be4 i could feel a big power lose it would have been pulling timing and boost then i keeped giving it and it turned off the sc so i guess your 100% right i got the car from a benz dealer it had 56k on it and they gave me 1 year warrenty with it not factory warrenty but there own so there should be no problem coz they are one of sydney biggest benz dealer with large work shop and i have papper work on the warrenty

when they fit the new pump do i need to reset the ecu or any thing ?to make sure it does not pull timing or boost

no need to reset the ecu and your car will pull hard better than before. if they don't see many 55's, they may not know what to look for so kindly let them know your s/c shuts off during accel and you're quite certain the intercooler pump is not working properly.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:29 AM

E55 AMG Kompressor
What is the best intercooler pump straight swap for my e55 komp money is not a problem the one with the most flow and one that will not stuff up like the stock one ?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
What is the best intercooler pump straight swap for my e55 komp money is not a problem the one with the most flow and one that will not stuff up like the stock one ?
Search on "Johnson pump".
Old 12-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
No kidding. Apparently others aren't having trouble understanding you, but I sure am. Are you using an iPhone or are you one of those new generation texters like those people on the AT&T commercials?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:40 PM

E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by Meeyatch1

Is your car under warranty? Have you had the car long enough to know if it has ever done this before? Luckily it sounds like your repair should be fairly easy to do. Also, is your car 100% stock?
Yes its still under warranty. I have not had the car long enough to know if it has done it be4 but it did it on me the first night i took it out for some speed. Yes my car is 100% stock

what do you think ?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:42 PM

E55 AMG Kompressor
is this pump better then my stock one ?

Ford Racing SVT Lightning Intercooler Pump M-8501-L54
Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Same pump, just get it fixed under warranty. You don't need a higher flowing pump unless you have extra cooling mods like a heat exchanger or trunk mount intercooler. That need more flow. If your going to run your car hard all the time for long extended periods than go for the cooling mods. Otherwise for the street your wasting your money and the stock system is fine.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:16 AM

E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by cruzinquick
Same pump, just get it fixed under warranty. You don't need a higher flowing pump unless you have extra cooling mods like a heat exchanger or trunk mount intercooler. That need more flow. If your going to run your car hard all the time for long extended periods than go for the cooling mods. Otherwise for the street your wasting your money and the stock system is fine.
but can the stock pump take it coz my car has only 56k on the clock and its all ready stuffed up so if i change it with the stock unit again will it not stuff up again '?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 PM

05' E55 AMG
yea very common problem mine had to get the pump replaced also. not expensive
Old 12-31-2008, 12:16 AM

E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by ENTIZY1
yea very common problem mine had to get the pump replaced also. not expensive
as soon as they changed it did you feel you where back to full power straight away

Last edited by Ohbev; 12-31-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:52 AM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
but can the stock pump take it coz my car has only 56k on the clock and its all ready stuffed up so if i change it with the stock unit again will it not stuff up again '?
The johnson pump really hasn't been around long enough for anyone to put 50k miles on it and see when it fails. Most of the pump failures were from cars that sat alot and the pump was dry most of the time. The motor in the pump is not what usually fails but the magnetic plastic part inside that spins the water through. It cracks and doesn't spin anymore, that's where the failure comes from. The stock one will be fine for at least another 50k miles. Remember either pump regardless of size will not gain any hp, it's just maintain cooling.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 AM

996TT
Which places sell upgraded cooling setups? Like a heat exchanger or a trunk-mount cooler kit? Just curious.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Renegades
Which places sell upgraded cooling setups? Like a heat exchanger or a trunk-mount cooler kit? Just curious.
i sent you a pm with chris' contact info from floored fab. he's created a many of the upgraded cooling systems, including the one-off type trunk mounted stuff and a rear mounted fan cooled heat exchanger.