Sponsored by:

How do you read the dip stick?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E63 AMG
How do you read the dip stick?

My 2008 E63s dip stick is impossible to read. When I first take it out of a cold engine, the level is above the "high" mark, but when I clean it, reinsert it, and pull it out again, there's oil above the "high" mark and below the "low" mark, and NO OIL in between... I've had the dip stick replaced by the dealer (it has a red cap), but I still get the same result.

Btw, does anyone know whether the E63 has both a "too much oil" and a "too little oil" dashboard warning?

I know similar questions have been asked in the past, but I don't think a good answer has been posted. Thx in advance.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

R8
Try reading the dipstick after the engine warms up, say after a drive to work or something. Read it then and see if you get the same results.

I've generally had better results when checking oil after a drive.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:01 PM

E55
Sounds like it needs to be heated up first for sure- it's possible that the reading is actually showing low after settling to the bottom of the pan overnight. As you are removing the dipstick, it's probably rubbing up against the tube the dipstick goes into and it is showing a false reading. Just do as others have said and warm the car up first- then check. I've always had to warm my cars and trucks up to get a proper reading. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:29 PM

2008 E63 AMG
Thx for the responses, guys. I had always thought that getting a reading while the engine is hot leads to an incorrect reading (due to expansion from heat, the oil level indicated is higher than would be in a cold engine). I suppose this is factored in to the marks on the dip stick?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by LABiker
Thx for the responses, guys. I had always thought that getting a reading while the engine is hot leads to an incorrect reading (due to expansion from heat, the oil level indicated is higher than would be in a cold engine). I suppose this is factored in to the marks on the dip stick?
the reason that oil reads incorrectly on a hot engine is because the oil is still up in the head and galleys and hasn't totally drained back into the pan. Engine oil doesn't expand from heat, if it did it would wreak havoc with bearing clearance's.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
the reason that oil reads incorrectly on a hot engine is because the oil is still up in the head and galleys and hasn't totally drained back into the pan. Engine oil doesn't expand from heat, if it did it would wreak havoc with bearing clearance's.
Oil expands when heated.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 AM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
You can check the oil one of two ways........

1) let the car sit overnight and check the (cold)level before starting the car

2) drive the car until it's warm and when you get home turn the engine off and wait 5 minutes.........then check the oil level
Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Oil expands when heated.
not enough to be noticed on a dipstick.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:57 AM

E55
Originally Posted by moparrbust
You can check the oil one of two ways........

1) let the car sit overnight and check the (cold)level before starting the car

2) drive the car until it's warm and when you get home turn the engine off and wait 5 minutes.........then check the oil level

Great advice- definitely forgot to mention to wait about 5 minutes. I've worked on mostly motorcycles and was always taught also to not rev the motor as it causes the oil pump to pump more oil into the top end thus causing it to take longer to drain...not sure if that's the case on these cars or not but it's something to keep in mind. You should get a good reading after waiting a few minutes, regardless.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:57 AM

2006 E55
I was just speaking to the dealer about this yesterday. If you use the onboard electronic sytem, you need to check the oil level before you start the car in the AM (or when the engine is cold) to get the proper reading, or to get a reading at all. If you are using the dip stick, you need to start the car for a couple of minutes, shut it down and then wait 5-10 minutes for the oil to leave the heads, valves, etc. to get a proper reading. It's a good idea to check the oil every once in a while. The car will also tell you if you are low but I do not rely on this method 100%.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Originally Posted by LABiker
My 2008 E63s dip stick is impossible to read. When I first take it out of a cold engine, the level is above the "high" mark, but when I clean it, reinsert it, and pull it out again, there's oil above the "high" mark and below the "low" mark, and NO OIL in between... I've had the dip stick replaced by the dealer (it has a red cap), but I still get the same result.

Btw, does anyone know whether the E63 has both a "too much oil" and a "too little oil" dashboard warning?

I know similar questions have been asked in the past, but I don't think a good answer has been posted. Thx in advance.
Yes on the warnings, they are explained in your owners manual.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 AM

GT-R
I did not know the 63's came with dipsticks. Us 55's aren't so lucky. But I wouldn't trade my blower for it