Position of X-Pipe important?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
Actually don't just have them insert a x-pipe anywhere it's very easy to figure out where it goes.

Straight pipe your cat/resonator delete, then apply some spray paint to the hot pipes, where it burns off first is where you locate your X/H pipe
Holy crap. Who would've known to do something like this? Good info. Let me pose this question to you:

1. Let's say my installer isn't as informed as you about exhaust engineering and dynamics. They install the x-pipe at a less than perfect location. Given that my car is N/A and not really making a whole lot of HP/TQ, can the placement of this x-pipe cause a severe hp/tq degradation? Conversely, can an exactly perfect location of the install, cause an increase in hp/tq on my N/A 5.0 engine?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by jrcart
If I am not mistaken the best way to determine the location of the "X" is to run straight pipes all the way back, run the car and then take some infared temps of the straight pipes, the point at which it is the hottest is where you cut the pipe and fabricate your "X". This is the way several tuners/shops have done some of my cars that way and if I'mnot mistaken that is how Evosport does theirs too.
Explain why at the hottest point
Old 01-03-2009, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
If I am not mistaken the best way to determine the location of the "X" is to run straight pipes all the way back, run the car and then take some infared temps of the straight pipes, the point at which it is the hottest is where you cut the pipe and fabricate your "X". This is the way several tuners/shops have done some of my cars that way and if I'mnot mistaken that is how Evosport does theirs too.
Hurry, Someone knows the how to for H/X pipes. Jim is right that method has been us since the very first H pipes were installed... ding, ding, ding, What do we have for him Jonny......
Old 01-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
I said the same thing, on eaiser
Old 01-03-2009, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Yes you did but do you know why the hottest point?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Banned

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Explain why at the hottest point
That where the Highest dynamic pressure is in the exhaust
Old 01-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Holy crap. Who would've known to do something like this? Good info. Let me pose this question to you:

1. Let's say my installer isn't as informed as you about exhaust engineering and dynamics. They install the x-pipe at a less than perfect location. Given that my car is N/A and not really making a whole lot of HP/TQ, can the placement of this x-pipe cause a severe hp/tq degradation? Conversely, can an exactly perfect location of the install, cause an increase in hp/tq on my N/A 5.0 engine?
Yes you can gain some HP/TQ with an X/H Pipe and you probably will (5-8hp)
Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Straight pipe your cat/resonator delete, then apply some spray paint to the hot pipes, where it burns off first is where you locate your X/H pipe
I'm digging that. I'd be curious where the 55k likes it most??
Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212

This is true, we just have not really had a good enough test to show 5hp difference on a dyno.

BTW, E55Pilot did say the same thing with easier method...
Old 01-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
ANyone who has tuned any V-8 knows and understands that X/H pipes are a good thing and another tuning tool.
I know that and don't disagree. Controversy has always been how much of a gain and what design, etc.

The bigger question is what is a non aspriated motor? Electric?
Electric? Dude, it is a motor that has not yet been aspriated......DUUUH!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
On a 300hp car? Hmmm, I dunno about that. I don't think we get much more than 5hp (1%). Would the E500 gain more %wise?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
On a 300hp car? Hmmm, I dunno about that. I don't think we get much more than 5hp (1%). Would the E500 gain more %wise?
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! Just hold on, right there....

318HP.....I have an ECU tune.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! Just hold on, right there....

318HP.....I have an ECU tune.

HAHA!! Dude I forgot. I forgot!! Any headers? VRP has them....
Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Yes you did but do you know why the hottest point?
It has to do with resonance and limiting it in the exhaust. The entire purpose of an exhaust system in a car is to scavenge exhaust away from the combustion chamber, i.e. helping the engine expel its exhaust fumes as efficiently as possible. Resonance in an exhaust system prohibits maximum efficiency, and thats why placing x/h pipes at the optimum spots in an exhaust system helps to quell exhaust resonance.

I could not find a good reference relating to automotive exhaust, but this article touches on some issues that can be related to automotive exhaust: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance
Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
You did say the same thing, only one problem, your method might be easier, but far less scientific and exact. The "old school" method of hitting the pipe with some flat black Krylon works, but it does not account for things such as how thick the paint is being applied, if you have even slightly thinner coverege in an area it will begin to burn off before an area with thicker/heavier coverage which may or may not be the "hottest" spot. The infared laser thermo gauge is the correct way and only way to do it on a $50k-$150k AMG. Most good tunners/shops have them in there shop because they are used for many many things, I could go into it but don't want to go to off topic. Lets just put it this way, if your shop doing your X-pipe does not have one, you probably don't want them touching ANYTHING on your car.

Last edited by jrcart; 01-04-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:10 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: X-Pipe

If it were me, I would put the X-Pipe where the OEM resonator was, if for no other reason than the engineers used that location to achieve the same purpose. Moving it up or back may or may not materially matter, but why chance it?

For what it's worth, a 13.49 from an E500 ain't bad.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

2004 E55
You did say the same thing, only one problem, your method might be easier, but far less scientific and exact. The "old school" method of hitting the pipe with some flat black Krylon works, but it does not account for things such as how thick the paint is being applied, if you have even slightly thinner coverege in an area it will begin to burn off before an area with thicker/heavier coverage which may or may not be the "hottest" spot. The infared laser thermo gauge is the correct way and only way to do it on a $50k-$150k AMG. Most good tunners/shops have them in there shop because they are used for many many things, I could go into it but don't want to go to off topic. Lets just put it this way, if your shop doing your X-pipe does not have one, you probably don't want them touching ANYTHING on your car.
Bull****. Let's keep the **** waving down to a minimum, Paint or IR will tell you the same spot, it's not magic, it's been done for 50+ years.

My shop has IR probes and surface temp probes and we still use paint, Why? Because it marks the spot.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Banned

2004 E55
Originally Posted by NCE500
If it were me, I would put the X-Pipe where the OEM resonator was, if for no other reason than the engineers used that location to achieve the same purpose. Moving it up or back may or may not materially matter, but why chance it?

NO. You find the spot of the highest temp and thats where you put it. IT's not rocket science to figure it out
Old 01-04-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NCE500

Well....

It is the "World's quickest E500"

Joking aside...I was more impressed with my 2.0 60' on 19" street tires.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bull****. Let's keep the **** waving down to a minimum, Paint or IR will tell you the same spot, it's not magic, it's been done for 50+ years.

My shop has IR probes and surface temp probes and we still use paint, Why? Because it marks the spot.
"IT'S BEEN DONE FOR 50+ YEARS"....my point exactly!

No *****waiving here, just trying to help out and put some useful information out there. You keep using spray paint and I will have my tuners use the more current, exact and high tech method.

I bet lots of NASCAR, ALMS and DTM teams sit there with a rattle can while the car is on a lift and take the time to spray and wait to dry only to have far less than exact temps/results when they can use a $200.00 infared gun that will tell the the exact surface temp on any portion of the pipe down to the sixe of a pin head.

....you are an idiot if you think your method is better, or even equal!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Banned

2004 E55
"IT'S BEEN DONE FOR 50+ YEARS"....my point exactly!

No *****waiving here, just trying to help out and put some useful information out there. You keep using spray paint and I will have my tuners use the more current, exact and high tech method.

I bet lots of NASCAR, ALMS and DTM teams sit there with a rattle can while the car is on a lift and take the time to spray and wait to dry only to have far less than exact temps/results when they can use a $200.00 infared gun that will tell the the exact surface temp on any portion of the pipe down to the sixe of a pin head.

....you are an idiot if you think your method is better, or even equal!!!!!!!!
It is EXACTLY Equal. You might want to spend some time actually building cars before you go waving your e-**** around

and writing a check is not building a car
Old 01-04-2009, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is EXACTLY Equal. You might want to spend some time actually building cars before you go waving your e-**** around

and writing a check is not building a car
You are going to need a shovel if you want to dig yourself a hole any deeper my freind. I'm not really sure why you flew off the handle, I never said your method was incorrect, i just said there is a better and more exact method. Show me a top notch tuner or race team that uses your method...I can show you 20 that use the method I described. I really hope for your sake you are not a tuner becasue you are going to lose a lot of customers if you keep touting your "50+ year old tuning techology", i don't know about the other members, but I want a tuner that is going to use the most current and advanced tools available on the market to him...not a guy with a can of Krylon sitting under my car waiting for it to bubble and burn off
Old 01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

2004 E55
You are going to need a shovel if you want to dig yourself a hole any deeper my freind. I'm not really sure why you flew off the handle, I never said your method was incorrect, i just said there is a better and more exact method.
Yes you did say it was incorrect. The pryo method is no better than the paint method which is actually better since you see where the resonance point is under load not free loaded like your method. Like I said when you start to build cars then let's talk 'cause your sure as **** not talking from experience.

Just because you bought a fast car doesn't mean that you know how to build it.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:50 PM

03 E55 AMG
I randomly touch 10 spots along the exhaust with the tips of each finger. The finger that has the largest blister tells me where the x-pipe should go. Unfortunately if you have multiple cars you are installing an x-pipe on you may want the help of your wife, a friend, etc. Why waste money on a can of paint or an infrared gun
Old 02-16-2009, 09:47 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Smile

Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I randomly touch 10 spots along the exhaust with the tips of each finger. The finger that has the largest blister tells me where the x-pipe should go. Unfortunately if you have multiple cars you are installing an x-pipe on you may want the help of your wife, a friend, etc. Why waste money on a can of paint or an infrared gun

Actually the X-pipe should go MID PIPE, MID car where the resonators are, mercedes did that for a reason,, and the resonators have a sort of cross over x pipe internally, anyway..

the whole purpose is to even out the flow, and pressure,, and midway is the best place to do that..