Long Tube Headers.....what to look for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
Correct, losing the cats would drop the price, as would the mufflers. I couldn't guarantee that your mufflers would line up, that would be on your end.
Do I need cats?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 AM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Look man, I believe I was more than polite and respectful when I asked you not question the man's expertise and workmanship... Let's just keep this on a technical level, it's much more rewarding for everyone here. We are after all, all here because we're enthusiasts.

You are right though, I have never built any parts, let alone an exhaust system.
I made a general statement that most others with experience seem to agree with, sorry if that offended you.
Otherwise I think I've contributed more technical info in this thread than most others for no other reason than wanting to help.

Anyway, best of luck (really).
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by bobgodd
I would agree with that price and I believe that is the whole point of this post... That price is still far below what is currently being offered. However, quality headers in mild steel CAN be done for under $3k.

No offense, Mild steel should NEVER be used on a Mercedes... period. Some may view that as an opinion and may risk it anyways. Just because it CAN be done, does not mean it SHOULD be done. But honestly, if you are spending that much on a Mercedes in the first place, only the top quality components should be installed. Mild Steel will always rust no matter how you try to stop rust from forming... it always does b/c rust never sleeps.

A high quality set of stainless steel headers as mentioned above will last the life of the vehicle and you never have to worry about them again. That is why we only produce SS headers b/c its what these cars deserve, anything less would be trying to "cut corners", and that shouldn't be done on Mercedes.

With that said, lets not let this thread turn sour, keep it on discussion and avoid the quarreling if possible as it is a good thread with good info.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:32 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
Do I need cats?
Well you won't pass emissions in CA by virtue of the design of a LT and you'll fail the visual inspection as well.
Otherwise, no you don't need them, you'll make more power and run cooler w/out them. On the downside it will be significantly louder and you may notice the smell of unburnt gas while driving-=kind of sucks on a date. There will be decent gains from going catless (even if only at the track) even with a PD blower.

Last edited by MHP; 01-04-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
Well you won't pass emissions in CA by virtue of the design of a LT and you'll fail the visual inspection as well.
Otherwise, no you don't need them, you'll make more power and run cooler w/out them. On the downside it will be significantly louder and you may notice the smell of unburnt gas while driving-=kind of sucks on a date.
Cali doesn't allow race cats anyways, so no added issue there. Maybe I can just add them if the gas smell gets bad.

Any ballpark on savings by using no cats and my own x-pipe and mufflers?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by jangy
With all due respect, why pay $6K for what is looking more like $3K? Getting 10 cars is **** for me. I've always been able to round up group buyers just not yet. Also, we need to think of our 63 brothers as well. Maybe you can get me a group buy where I can mix and match 55k and 63 cars?
jangy, you already know who can build you better headers and he can do it for less than $6k without having to round up 10 people!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by chiromikey
jangy, you already know who can build you better headers and he can do it for less than $6k without having to round up 10 people!!!

yes sir!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
No offense, Mild steel should NEVER be used on a Mercedes... period. Some may view that as an opinion and may risk it anyways. Just because it CAN be done, does not mean it SHOULD be done. But honestly, if you are spending that much on a Mercedes in the first place, only the top quality components should be installed. Mild Steel will always rust no matter how you try to stop rust from forming... it always does b/c rust never sleeps.

A high quality set of stainless steel headers as mentioned above will last the life of the vehicle and you never have to worry about them again. That is why we only produce SS headers b/c its what these cars deserve, anything less would be trying to "cut corners", and that shouldn't be done on Mercedes.

With that said, lets not let this thread turn sour, keep it on discussion and avoid the quarreling if possible as it is a good thread with good info.
with all due respect (seriously), blanket statements on ss vs mild steel can be a bit misleading. while i agree certain types of ss typically should outlast even a coated mild steel system, that doesn't come close to meaning a ss header is going to last the lifetime of the vehicle and the owner will never have to worry about them again. as an example, even when using the proper ss, it's more difficult to weld which leads to more failures. just searching mbworld archives will prove that.

and if i was so snobbish to say that mild steel isn't good enough for a mercedes, i'd probably be too snobbish to want anything but inconel anyways.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:31 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG

That's the price of a full exhaust with cats shipped, not just headers.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
and if i was so snobbish to say that mild steel isn't good enough for a mercedes, i'd probably be too snobbish to want anything but inconel anyways.
You mean Titanium?

Inconel would only be useful in a high boost turbo app. 304T can take blowers all day long, 314 would be overkill, Inconel = working with an insanely difficult (and extra heavy) to work with material ($$$$) for no benefit whatsoever in this case.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:35 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
mikey are you making the race on the 17th?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Bahhhhh Your not dealing with a Jet engine, you don't need to problems associated with Inconel

You really want to do it right? Only Titanium will do. Every time you run the car the exhaust will get stronger, just make sure that you leave clearances since Ti tends to grow with heat
Old 01-04-2009, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
You mean Titanium?

Inconel would only be useful in a high boost turbo app. 304T can take blowers all day long, 314 would be overkill, Inconel = working with an insanely difficult (and extra heavy) to work with material ($$$$) for no benefit whatsoever in this case.
no, i meant inconel. titanium is defintitely NOT my choice of material if i wanted the highest quality exhaust!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:17 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
no, i meant inconel. titanium is defintitely NOT my choice of material if i wanted the highest quality exhaust!
ok...
Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 AM
Banned

2004 E55
Originally Posted by AMS Performance

You're going to need to tune this system. Without flowing the head the chances of hitting the Primary/Secondary/Collector combo on the first shot is ZERO. Hell do the collector wrong and you'll take a 25hp hit Easily. That means that your going to have to try it a few times. Since that's the case you would be STUPID to build the system out of anything BUT cheap mild steel.

Then when you get it right you build it out stainless or titanium. ONLY then not before.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
ok...
i've done my research and talked with people that have far more knowledge on the subject than you. i'm not going to change your mind and you'd never admit to learning anything from members here so let's just say that i have my reasons and leave it at that.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Banned

2004 E55
ummmm Okay.

Better tell just about every pro race team and every aerospace manufacture on the planet to use something better. Those two industries are the land of Unobtanium, they can use anything yet they use Ti....
Old 01-04-2009, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55Pilot
ummmm Okay.

Better tell just about every pro race team and every aerospace manufacture on the planet to use something better. Those two industries are the land of Unobtanium, they can use anything yet they use Ti....
you'd probably be surprised who i've talked to. regardless, i'm sure you'd agree that race teams will publicly say exactly what their sponsors tell them to say, despite what they actually use (or would prefer to use).
Old 01-04-2009, 03:35 AM
Banned

2004 E55
you'd probably be surprised who i've talked to. regardless, i'm sure you'd agree that race teams will publicly say exactly what their sponsors tell them to say, despite what they actually use (or would prefer to use).
Now you've made the claim, time for you to show your cards.

Let's see I know a few of the top NASCAR engine guys, Most of the ALMS/IMSA/SCCA Pro guys and they don't claim one thing and then run another. Hell a simple Ring test and pocket magnet will tell me what the exhaust is made of.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55Pilot
Now you've made the claim, time for you to show your cards.

Let's see I know a few of the top NASCAR engine guys, Most of the ALMS/IMSA/SCCA Pro guys and they don't claim one thing and then run another. Hell a simple Ring test and pocket magnet will tell me what the exhaust is made of.
sorry, no cards to show. as i've said, i've done my research and formed my own opinions based on information from people that i personally consider far more knowledged on the subject than you. no problem with me if you prefer ti...
Old 01-04-2009, 03:56 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
i've done my research and talked with people that have far more knowledge on the subject than you. i'm not going to change your mind and you'd never admit to learning anything from members here so let's just say that i have my reasons and leave it at that.
LOL, you got it bud. Experience has nothing on second hand knowledge and researching on the net.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:58 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
you'd probably be surprised who i've talked . regardless, i'm sure you'd agree that race teams will publicly say exactly what their sponsors tell them to say, despite what they actually use (or would prefer to use).
Notice a trend?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
Notice a trend?
yes, but i didn't want to start a flame war against you again. how do you get your knowledge...oh i forgot, you were born with it.

and for someone who's never actually tuned an ecu, you sure seem to talk a lot about doing it. i'd suggest you don't go pointing fingers andy.

Last edited by chiromikey; 01-04-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
LOL, you got it bud. Experience has nothing on second hand knowledge and researching on the net.
lol, experience! how much experience do you have at tuning ecu's? oh, wait...how about NONE!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:07 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
lol, experience! how much experience do you have at tuning ecu's? oh, wait...how about NONE!!!
Not only do you have no idea what I know pertaining to exhausts or anything else related to the IC engine, but you don't have a clue what my tuning credentials are either.
I've tuned everything from Ford GTs/GT500s, all makes SRT8, Vipers, to Z06s/Vettes. Basically everything domestic. The Euro stuff is new to me I admit, but I've got the best teacher in the world. So as far as tuning or anything else goes, I don't just "talk".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers.....what to look for?