W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the secret recipe for a 3.x 0-60 and 11.x 1/4 mile E55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 AMG E55
What is the secret recipe for a 3.x 0-60 and 11.x 1/4 mile E55?

I posted a few threads in the past couple days asking for advance and the response has been great. I should have just got to the point.

I have a stock E55 ready to mod in phases. The ultimate goal is to get 0-60 under 4 secs and quarter mile somewhere in the 11 sec range. Not a hard feat according to these forums.

This is what I have planned:

Upgraded HE
CM30 Pump
Phenolic Spacers
Pulley Kit
ECU Tune
Short Headers

What recipe would you suggest to get to this point? More mods, less mods, different mods...

Thanks guys!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
that will get you ~11.6 sec car......You'll need to add---DR and the "good driver" mod to go lower than that.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Add intake, full throttle body, and LSD..the LSD is gonna help out a lot.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by dpavid
I posted a few threads in the past couple days asking for advance and the response has been great. I should have just got to the point.

I have a stock E55 ready to mod in phases. The ultimate goal is to get 0-60 under 4 secs and quarter mile somewhere in the 11 sec range. Not a hard feat according to these forums.

This is what I have planned:

Upgraded HE
CM30 Pump
Phenolic Spacers
Pulley Kit
ECU Tune
Short Headers

What recipe would you suggest to get to this point? More mods, less mods, different mods...

Thanks guys!
Your pretty much on the money...

but you can run into the 11.xx without headers with a good driver...

chicagox ran a 11.66 with an asp pulley, LET tune, DR's, 80mm TB, and cooling mods. Oh and he is a hardened professional drag driver.... he ran my friends (bartdude) LET tuned e55 12.1 with only a tune!!

hope this helps...
Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 AM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Second the LSD - makes a huge difference putting the power down. I'd also do true longtubes with cutouts and improved cooling.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
lsd make zero difference in straight line acceleration and i've got the timeslips to prove it. it's a lot more fun (and predictable) around corners though!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
I thought two tires grabbing the patch would be alot quicker on the launch I see a huge differance in the burnouts with the quaife diff compared to the 030 pkg. The quaife is much tighter on the lock out..
Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 AM

2005 AMG E55
LSD makes that big a difference? OK... I wikipedia'd the definition but don't really understand it.

"The main advantage of a limited slip differential is shown by considering the case of a standard (or "open") differential where one wheel has no contact with the ground at all. In such a case, the contacting wheel will remain stationary, and the non-contacting wheel will rotate freely—the torque transmitted will be equal at both wheels, but will not exceed the threshold of torque needed to move the vehicle, and thus the vehicle will remain stationary. In everyday use on typical roads, such a situation is very unlikely, and so a normal differential suffices. For more demanding use, such as driving in mud, off-road, or for high performance vehicles, such a state of affairs is undesirable, and the LSD can be employed to deal with it. By limiting the angular velocity difference between a pair of driven wheels, useful torque can be transmitted as long as there is some traction available on at least one of the wheels."

Does it basically mean to put down more HP to the tires without increasing the overall HP at the crank of the vehicle? i.e. - 469 HP at the crank on a stock E55 (405 hp RWHP on dyno) and with a LSD the crank HP remains the same but RWHP will increase?

Idiot definition please...
Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

simply put, lsd transmit power more evenly to both wheels while moving in a straigh line and logically it should offer a verifiable advantage. however, our open diffs are not like the open diffs of old. if you watch any modern amg with an open diff, they lay power to both wheels during acceleration or a burnout and for this reason i've run identical 60ft times pre and post quaiffe lsd. i really wish the lsd offered more or even some advantage in a straight line, but (at least in my case) i've proven it doesn't.

*disclaimer: this applies only to amg's. i wouldn't dream of arguing this side of the fence with any other application i've had experience with.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rarfinancial
I thought two tires grabbing the patch would be alot quicker on the launch I see a huge differance in the burnouts with the quaife diff compared to the 030 pkg. The quaife is much tighter on the lock out..
i really wish i could report an advantage with the lsd. i never had a problem with my open diff putting power to both wheels and that's likely why i saw no advantage at the drag strip after the quaiffe.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i really wish i could report an advantage with the lsd. i never had a problem with my open diff putting power to both wheels and that's likely why i saw no advantage at the drag strip after the quaiffe.
Do you see a difference in cornering that justifies the price?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
Do you see a difference in cornering that justifies the price?
well, that's a bit of an oxymoron...an e55 and cornering.

i've never pretended my car could corner worth a damn and for that reason i would say no. it has become much more predictable when you want to show off and slide the back end around a corner and you can definitely get power down earlier when exiting corners but i wouldn't have installed the quaiffe if i hadn't blown up my oem diff.

all just my opinion when it comes to cornering and i'm sure others will feel differently. however, my straight line results are hard to argue with.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by chiromikey
well, that's a bit of an oxymoron...an e55 and cornering.

i've never pretended my car could corner worth a damn and for that reason i would say no. it has become much more predictable when you want to show off and slide the back end around a corner and you can definitely get power down earlier when exiting corners but i wouldn't have installed the quaiffe if i hadn't blown up my oem diff.

all just my opinion when it comes to cornering and i'm sure others will feel differently. however, my straight line results are hard to argue with.

I was seriously considering the quaiffe, but I guess I'll wait till I blow up the stock one...
Old 01-13-2009, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by HYEPWR
that will get you ~11.6 sec car......You'll need to add---DR and the "good driver" mod to go lower than that.
+1 need DR.
You'll need all the traction you can get to get the power down.