Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Pulley for the M113 N/A V8 engine.

Guys,

Considering an under-drive pulley kit for my E500. I've spoken to evosport, and I know they have a $379.00 option.

I'm just not familiar enough with all of the MB tuners to make an educated decision. That's why I'm looking to you guys for vendors/prices/experiences.

Also, if I do go with a pulley kit, will I need to get a new ECU tune? I'm currently running one of Adam's famous Euro Elites Evotech tunes. With the so few ponies we're talking here, not even sure if it's worth it or necessary.

TIA.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Guys,

Considering an under-drive pulley kit for my E500. I've spoken to evosport, and I know they have a $379.00 option.

I'm just not familiar enough with all of the MB tuners to make an educated decision. That's why I'm looking to you guys for vendors/prices/experiences.

Also, if I do go with a pulley kit, will I need to get a new ECU tune? I'm currently running one of Adam's famous Euro Elites Evotech tunes. With the so few ponies we're talking here, not even sure if it's worth it or necessary.

TIA.
never heard of tuning for under-drive pulleys...i'd personally not mess with 1-3hp gains by getting rid of the harmonic balancer that is in your crank pulley...this isn't a 4cyl where that doesn't really matter
Old 01-15-2009, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 18T_BT
never heard of tuning for under-drive pulleys...i'd personally not mess with 1-3hp gains by getting rid of the harmonic balancer that is in your crank pulley...this isn't a 4cyl where that doesn't really matter

Not gonna touch the crank pulley or harmonic balancer. I'm talking about a pulley kit that under drives the accessories. Such as power steering, alternator, etc...

According to Evosport, this unleashes a massive 6-8 RWHP for my car.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Nah, no new tune needed.

You are fine.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Benz-O-Rama,

I was recently talking to a W210 friend of mine about this whole crank pulley thing. I know with an N/A platform it's difficult to find places to make power without spending a ton of money - but for the sake of your car, I really would recommend thinking twice before touching your crank pulley, especially for a measily 6rwhp. We 55k guys don't really have a choice, not to mention we make a lot more power doing it, but I have NEVER EVER liked touching crank pulleys. There is WAY too much that depends on it and WAY too much at risk if for WHATEVER reason the aftermarket unit fails. I'm not saying that you will blow up your engine, but no matter what any tuner tells you, it does increase the risk significantly - and you gain very little for a lot of risk.

With the mods you have listed, I would definitely invest in a good set of headers. You will get more power (yes, I know they cost more) without any of the risks associated with the crank pulley.

Just my $.02 - avoid touching that crank pulley! In almost all cases, it's just not worth it!!!

-m
Old 01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Benz-O-Rama,

I was recently talking to a W210 friend of mine about this whole crank pulley thing. I know with an N/A platform it's difficult to find places to make power without spending a ton of money - but for the sake of your car, I really would recommend thinking twice before touching your crank pulley, especially for a measily 6rwhp. We 55k guys don't really have a choice, not to mention we make a lot more power doing it, but I have NEVER EVER liked touching crank pulleys. There is WAY too much that depends on it and WAY too much at risk if for WHATEVER reason the aftermarket unit fails. I'm not saying that you will blow up your engine, but no matter what any tuner tells you, it does increase the risk significantly - and you gain very little for a lot of risk.

With the mods you have listed, I would definitely invest in a good set of headers. You will get more power (yes, I know they cost more) without any of the risks associated with the crank pulley.

Just my $.02 - avoid touching that crank pulley! In almost all cases, it's just not worth it!!!

-m
Ok, I think I'm confused. Someone please correct me.

I thought there are basically 2 types of pulley kits:
  1. Overdrive
  2. Underdrive

Overdrive pulleys are used on the crank to reduce rotating mass, and increase supercharger RPMs.

Underdrive pulleys are used on the accessories, not the crank, to effectively slow down the water pump, power steering pump and alternator which would relieve some of the parasitic hp loss caused by these devices.

I have no intention of touching the crank pulley or harmonic balancer. I want to change the pulleys on the accessories.

Am I completely confused?

And yep, headers are on the radar too.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Ok, I think I'm confused. Someone please correct me.

I thought there are basically 2 types of pulley kits:
  1. Overdrive
  2. Underdrive

Overdrive pulleys are used on the crank to reduce rotating mass, and increase supercharger RPMs.

Underdrive pulleys are used on the accessories, not the crank, to effectively slow down the water pump, power steering pump and alternator which would relieve some of the parasitic hp loss caused by these devices.

I have no intention of touching the crank pulley or harmonic balancer. I want to change the pulleys on the accessories.

Am I completely confused?

And yep, headers are on the radar too.
Benz,

Sorry I misread your original post. There's been a lot of talk of crank pullies these days.

Accessory pullies can also fail, and especially when talking about the water pump pulley if it does fail, it can lead to engine failure. This has and can happen. Even though I don't see accessory pullies to be as potentially problematic as an aftermarket crank pulley, I still see their benefit to be outweighed by the risks. Take the $400, stick in a savings fund, and put it towards headers. They really should be your next upgrade.

Good luck,

Marcus
Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Black Bimmer :)
hey clayton
finally some go fast mods
Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by D.C. Designs
hey clayton
finally some go fast mods

Well, let's not get carried away. I wouldn't say "go fast", I'd say "go not so slow" mods.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Black Bimmer :)
put a blower on that bitoch and call it a day lmao