W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

doubts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2003 | 07:08 PM

2001 audi TT roadster
doubts

I am #1 at my dealer in Denver for the w211 e55 but I am beginning to wonder whether it is wise to buy one of the first of these cars. Since the car is going to be expensive, probably around 85k with all the options, I would feel more comfortable if I didn't have doubts.
While the e55 was supposed to blow away its competition, it hasn't done so in the early magazine comparisons and while in some it has edged the rs6 and current m5 in others it has not. The reported gas mileage (11 to 13) is very disappointing. I am also concerned that direct gasoline injection will be added after the first year for sure and that 4matic may be available in the future since MB has announced its committment to offering that option on most if not all of its vehicles in the future.
I am also concerned that the next m5, coming as a 2005 in fall of 2004, with a V10 with as much as 550 hp and the next generation of SMG, will be a much more desireable car at roughly the same price.
I do not want to wait that long for a car so I am considering buy an M3 SMG, driving it for a couple of years, while staying on the list for the e55 and the new m5 until it is clear which is best, all the initial bugs are worked out and all the options are available. Since the M3 is a proven winner and it holds its value, this seems like a decent plan.
I would like to hear others opinions on these issues and my possible plan.
Old 01-20-2003 | 08:09 PM

fear

I'm number two in new orleans and i have much the same feelings about the new issue. However, the car itself has been out for almost twoyears now and the E55 itself has been in europe I think for one year. I will probably have to give up my place because my lease will preclude me from taking the car in november or sooner, but waiting another six months doesn't sound like a bad idea.
The new M5 will have to blow away everything, but at some point I guess you have to say something is enough, at least for a little while. All the comparisons of the E55 and the M5 were with the older model M5, and it did almost as good as the e55. It wasn't as comfortable. You will be faced with the same problem when the new M5 comes out: new model, new problems. Next years' always sounds better.
Old 01-20-2003 | 09:15 PM

E55 AMG
Bakiro, your plan sounds fine, if I were in your shoes I'd probably do the same. But if I may play devil's advocate, the only potential flaws I see are:
- The new M5 will probably match if not exceed the performance of the E55, but will it look nice? And will the engine be sorted? BMW's new designs have been love it or hate it at best, and the current M3 went through a nasty period of engine failures.
- By the time the new M5 is out, the next 3 series will probably be introduced as well. So although the M3's are holding up pretty well now, they could start to depreciate more at that time due to the new body style. So, I'd suggest a lease now, then in a few years get what you really want.

On the other hand, the 55K engine looks to be reliable and the new E class is a hit. So although you may actually like the new M5 better when it comes out, don't think you can go too wrong with the new E55 for now. But as I said, nothing wrong with getting an M3 for now either.
Old 01-20-2003 | 09:25 PM

Nissan 350Z & Toyota Landcruiser 100 Tdi, i lack a benz...but one day
I think the e55 is the good all rounder..

m3 is too hardcore sports car and after alot of miles that super stiff suspension will cause ur kidneys to drop..

e55 u can adjust how comfortable u wANT IT and how sport u want at a touch of a button...u can just potter around in it..drop it down one gear and ur in schumacher mode (with 700nm torque i dont think it is nessesary to drop a gear )

to me Rs6 looks really boring and plain...m5 wont be out for another few years...as mik e55 said...will it look as good as the mercedes?

the e55 has everything in it...a ferrari beater, as luxury and comfy as a s class and as tough ad hardcore as those muscle v8's
Old 01-20-2003 | 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
My 2 Cents

Two problems with the next M5. It won't be out for approx 2 years and the waiting list is already growing. Also, they are passing out the anti-emetics on BMWM5.com since the spy photos and Idrive previews have been turning off even the most ardent followers. By the way, one of the car's greatest attractions according to M5 owners is the manual tranny-gone on the E60 M5 and replaced by the SMG. Pertaining to the W211 E55. The abundance of low end torque and pulling away power present at 100 mph and above separate the E55 from the competition (Audi, BMW, Porsche included). Even with 500+ hp the next M5 will probably only match the E55's 1/4 mile times. It will beat the E55 0-60 mainly because of the W211's excessively low rear end gear ratio. Maybe along with better pulleys, someone can come up with affordable new rear end gears in the vicinity of 3.23 or 3.42 to 1.

Whether buying or leasing. the new E55 will be the car to have (unless you can afford an SL55). As far as I'm concerned it cannot arrive soon enough. It gives me some consolation knowing that the W211 will be a year old when I get my E55 and that the supercharged V8 will have proven itself for over 6 months in other M-B's. True it is not as good on the track as a BMW M car, but the beautiful design, comfortable ride, interior ergonomics and relative simplicity are more important, after all, I spend a great deal more time hauling the family (rapidly) than pushing the car to its limits.
Old 01-20-2003 | 11:10 PM

2000 BMW 540i
Thumbs up

Tough Choice. I know because I have made some of the same decisions. Having been a long-time BMW fan and owner, I can also tell some horror stories about problems with my old M6 that would make anyone forget BMW. My answer is take the new W211 E55 and enjoy it. I am looking forward to MB ownership and my 4 door Porsche beater. I also have an M6 on order. I hope that the E55 will hold its value long enough to let me make my longer term decsion, but I will be driving an incredible car while I wait. I think the M3 is great, but it is a different ride than an M5 or E55.

Good luck with your choice. We are all lucky that these are the types of "DIFFICULT" choices we face.
Old 01-21-2003 | 02:48 AM
Almost a Member!

E55
That's going to be a though choice. the first modells of the 211 e55 come also up to 500 hp although only 476 are declared. Buts that's no surprise as the some enginge is use in the others modell. So I personally do not expect a big difference between the new 211 e55 and the future M5 ( by the way, you have to expect anyway a 5% tolerance on the spec. which means you won't see in reality any difference).

So at the end it boils down to your taste. A more sporty car with a harder setup (M5) or a more comfortable (but still sporty) one (w211). See also my report about the 211 E55. Under normal conditions I would say that there won't be a big difference.

merlin
Old 01-21-2003 | 07:44 AM
Bilal

I still think that it will not have 500Hp exactly since quieter exhaust/restricted airflow so less HP. But thats just my thoughts, otherwise If it did have 500HP, teh SL will have lost its crown...

Don't get me wrong, in obsidian black with designo interior and those normal AMG 5 spokes, and that V8 Kompressor, **** I just wet my pants again.

In a straight line, this car WILL beat an Aston Martin Vanquish and then outrun it as it does 211MPH, coz thats what its geared for.....
Old 01-21-2003 | 07:50 AM

'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Originally posted by Bilal
I still think that it will not have 500Hp exactly since quieter exhaust/restricted airflow so less HP. But thats just my thoughts, otherwise If it did have 500HP, teh SL will have lost its crown...

Don't get me wrong, in obsidian black with designo interior and those normal AMG 5 spokes, and that V8 Kompressor, **** I just wet my pants again.

In a straight line, this car WILL beat an Aston Martin Vanquish and then outrun it as it does 211MPH, coz thats what its geared for.....
Amen ! My 55 look-a-like with Nappa leather and normal 5-spokes. (Hope to have a real 55 in 3 years)
Old 01-21-2003 | 09:05 AM

2001 E55 & 1988 BMW M6
Muhri - great looking car - nice color and amg touches!
also, is that a bentley, or rolls in the background? details, please!

Bakiro - your doubts/concerns are well founded. The easy answer that satisfies both your near-term NEED for a car and the longer term "queasiness" of whether or not the new w211 e55 is "the one to own" [versus the next gen m5] is to lease the the e55 for 24 or 36 months... at the end of the lease term, you then decide whether or not the w211 is right for you, for the long haul [versus whatever else is out and/or proposed, at that time].
Old 01-21-2003 | 09:59 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by muhri2
Amen ! My 55 look-a-like with Nappa leather and normal 5-spokes. (Hope to have a real 55 in 3 years)
Very nice!
Old 01-21-2003 | 01:58 PM
Almost a Member!

E55
Originally posted by Bilal

Yes I know that's the official statement from AMG. But a 5% tolerance of 500 HP gives you +/- 25 HP, at 476 HP it's +/- 24 HP. And the SL55 was int the first 6 month rated with 476 HP. So if you get a good running car you are anyway there. Some is valid for the conditions (tires, temperature etc). So at the end I think that's really a philosophical point and of course a marketing issue.

merlin
Old 01-22-2003 | 12:05 AM

'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Originally posted by M6toE55
Muhri - great looking car - nice color and amg touches!
also, is that a bentley, or rolls in the background? details, please!
Glad you like it M6toE55 - The car in the background is a Mercedes W126 500SEL actually

Very nice!
Thanks JamE55.