W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifolds

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Intake Manifolds

Does anyone have the technical picture of the intake manifolds? I think that is the parts I am talking about. The parts with the AMG in the metal.

If one were to mod them, ala needswings.com, would we expect gains in the 55k?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by jangy
Does anyone have the technical picture of the intake manifolds? I think that is the parts I am talking about. The parts with the AMG in the metal.

Aren't they called? intake surge tanks, They are the ones with AMG log on top. Intake manifold is under the supercharger & the Intercooler..
Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
They are replacement surge tanks, but I just can't get past them not having a nice cast appearance; to me, they're not worthy, appearance-wise, to grace my car's engine compartment. YMMV.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
that is pic from a C32.....but the idea is the same. i am not sure what the gains are on e55 but supposedly they are worth while on a C32
Old 01-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Those are the ones. Also, the air pipe. I have seen it up close and it is very worthy for my bay. Anyone know what the gains / benefits were on the AMG 32s? Any issues with needswings?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hey Jang, did you ever get a chance to talk with Cruznquick at Famoso in the Blue Chrysler. He was great to talk to and couldn't say enough good over needswings.

He runs 11.7ish so consistanly, that he bracket races with it.

Hit him up for more info.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Crossfire SRT6
Thanks jakpro1, yes my engine bay looks very similiar. As probably the only one who hits the track every weekend I have experienced great results from all my mods from needswings. I'm over 300 passes with my 6 and it's still super consistent and reliable.

I do have a datalogger which I correlate with DA weather conditions and most importantly ET. The biggest improvement I've seen when I added the mani's was my boost came down, but my ET's remained as strong. Not sure if my sig will show. My previous best prior to Famoso was 11.97 ran at 2600' and then installed the mani's and ran 11.97 at 2100'. To someone who doesn't have a clue about DA, this wouldn't seem like a big deal. To those that are more bracket race oriented would realize that 500' is a huge deal and to be running the same time in a supercharged car. At famoso I ran 11.89 at 1600', so at sea level I would expect another tenth or more.

The mani's would benefit someone already at the final stages to further enhance a custom tune and modded situation. The increased air flow is insane. To compliment that further I have the NW ypipe as well.

If your modding and not datalogging when your at the track, you are wasting valuable information your car is giving you. Compare the datalog situation to a dyno pull, your car's valuable info is from a dead stop to 4th gear at WOT Wide Open Throttle.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
I have seen it up close and it is very worthy for my bay.
Maybe it doesn't look as homemade in person? I want to go fast and look good doing it.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:55 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Originally Posted by komp55
Maybe it doesn't look as homemade in person? I want to go fast and look good doing it.
Then buy the 997TT that was running at famoso I only know of a handful of MB owners that can run a tig welder much less do it in a garage? That's only the welding part, much less cutting the parts on a water jetter. Point me to that guys garage as I have some shade tree projects that need finishing. It's a little harder than it looks.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by prodigymb
that is pic from a C32.....but the idea is the same. i am not sure what the gains are on e55 but supposedly they are worth while on a C32
Correction: AFAIK that is a pic from a Chrysler SRT-6. A not insignificant difference in engine bay space and firewall clearance exists between the two.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Originally Posted by Thericker
Aren't they called? intake surge tanks, They are the ones with AMG log on top.
And Mercedes also calls their superchargers, "Kompressors". Mercedes does indeed label them as surge tanks in their manuals but they are indeed intake manifolds.

Intake manifold is under the supercharger & the Intercooler..
That would be the engine block or what some refer to as the lifter valley (on a non overhead cammed engine).
Old 01-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I have the whole supercharger, Intercooler and intake manifold from a 55k sitting in my garage waiting to be installed, I will post a bunch of pics latter today of what you are looking for.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
The Surge Tanks are somewhat restrictive and one will see some results by modding them. But like Finny said in regards to a larger throttle body, the main problem with our 55K is the intercooler core and until we fix this restriction and heat issue we will not get the full benefit of our intake mods.

BTW...the Surge Tanks is not the intake manifold. Here is a pic of the intake manifold which runs along side of the S/C and bolts directly to the heads. We share the same intake manifold as the SLR.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Havoc
The Surge Tanks are somewhat restrictive and one will see some results by modding them. But like Finny said in regards to a larger throttle body, the main problem with our 55K is the intercooler core and until we fix this restriction and heat issue we will not get the full benefit of our intake mods.

BTW...the Surge Tanks is not the intake manifold. Here is a pic of the intake manifold which runs along side of the S/C and bolts directly to the heads. We share the same intake manifold as the SLR.

I'd say Havoc is correct here. I've heard this part (mentioned above - the stock piece with "AMG" cast into it, or the NW sheet-metal version) referred to as "intake manifold," "surge tank," and/or "intake plenum" - there's a lot of misunderstanding spread around regarding the nomenclature. The M112K (C32/SLK32/SRT-6) is the same as the M113K (minus those two extra all-important cylinders, of course ). By my understanding, the actual intake manifolds are integrated into the supercharger housing. You could potentially *also* call the upper part a manifold, if you think of it as a two-piece manifold design... but calling it something else (e.g. surge tank) is wise IMHO to potentially avoid confusion with the "true" lower intake manifold.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by komp55
They are replacement surge tanks, but I just can't get past them not having a nice cast appearance; to me, they're not worthy, appearance-wise, to grace my car's engine compartment. YMMV.

I would choose performance over asthetics any day, those are nice looking surge tanks IMO. If you really have to have AMG logos on them why not find a machine shop or tool and die shop in your area (they are all starving for work now days) and have them scan an AMG logo into their computer and CNC machine the logo onto a piece of .100 thick aluminum, the can either emboss or deboss it. They can then match up the mounting holes to the ones on the surge tanks, have it powder coated, painted or polished and you will have a truely wicked, one-off custom.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by jrcart
I would choose performance over asthetics any day...
+1

NeedsWings was (correctly) concerned with potential copyright infringement issues had they included a logo other than their own.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
edit owned.

Last edited by bobgodd; 01-27-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Instead of building new Surge Tanks like these...

[/QUOTE]

You would be better off building new SLR Type Intercoolers like these (courtesy of Bleek)...

I mean you're right there! Why not go all the way?
Yes some are in the works and they are very pricey, but when talking about intakes for the 55K this is where the biggest restriction is.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by msheredy
And Mercedes also calls their superchargers, "Kompressors". Mercedes does indeed label them as surge tanks in their manuals but they are indeed intake manifolds.

That would be the engine block or what some refer to as the lifter valley (on a non overhead cammed engine).
Hmmmm No this is what I meant about Intake Manifold location...It's under the IC & integrated above the heads..

BTW...the Surge Tanks is not the intake manifold. Here is a pic of the intake manifold which runs along side of the S/C and bolts directly to the heads. We share the same intake manifold as the SLR
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I'd say Havoc is correct here. , the actual intake manifolds are integrated into the supercharger housing. You could potentially *also* call the upper part a manifold, if you think of it as a two-piece manifold design... but calling it something else (e.g. surge tank) is wise IMHO to potentiallyavoid confusion with the "true" lower intake manifold
Old 01-28-2009, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
I've tried using a tig a couple times and it was truly special...

I think the welds look pretty good, and difficult for anyone that doesn't do it often. To echo Jcarts statement one could very easily dress those up with light machining, p.coating, etc..

If I recall a year or two ago Vrus was going to have his surge tanks extrude honed to help flow as the interior is rough cast. Tried diggin up the thread but couldn't find it.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Originally Posted by Automotive Term Definition
INTAKE MANIFOLD: A casting of passages or pipes used to conduct air or a fuel/air mixture to the cylinders.
Link

An intake manifold consists of 2 parts.

1. Plenum
2. Runners

Typically they [intake manifolds] are cast as one piece but as our engines aren't "typical" they are broken down into 2 separate pieces.

Knowing this the "surge tanks" are the [intake] plenums while the cast pieces on either side of the supercharger are the [intake] runners. Together they make the intake manifolds. You guys we can argue about this all day long but you know I'm right

Check out the attached photo. The red portion is the intake plenum while the blueish purple parts are the runners.
Attached Thumbnails Intake Manifolds-intake-manifold.jpg  

Last edited by msheredy; 01-28-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by msheredy
the "surge tanks" are the [intake] plenums while the cast pieces on either side of the supercharger are the [intake] runners. Together they make the intake manifolds.

Jangy, have you looked into port/polish your stock ones. Of course building larger surge tanks with better flow will result in better gains, but I was told that you can polish the inside and trim excess material on our stock ones.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Thanks for all the feedback and keep it coming.

Havoc, I agree on the IC issue and am slowly working my way there. For now, doing just the surge tanks is reasonable and being done. If I held off for SLR style ones the project may stall. Clearly, I will work with needswings to further develop their initial efforts so changes to the design are inevitable.

Havoc: thanks for all the info. Yes, i looked into having my own setup ported and polished and will do so for many parts as we dismantle, but these are just too small OEM to get anywhere. Also, I really wanted the larger pipes feeding into it as well.

Last thing, looks means nothing to me. I love the look of precision performance parts. There is no need for it to say AMG on it when needswings designed and made it.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
Last thing, looks means nothing to me. I love the look of precision performance parts. There is no need for it to say AMG on it
Since I'm the one who commented on the appearance, let me clarify. I could care less if it says AMG or anything else on it. My objection is to the sloppy welds. I've seen many examples of superb TIG welds on fabricated parts before, and what's shown in that photo doesn't qualify. That's why it doesn't look "precision" to me. If the outside welds are sloppy, one can only wonder if the inner welds you can't see are equally poor. Produce the same product with better welding, and it's probably a winner. YMMV.