W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60' times with what street tires and where?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by bassn_07
What's up Baller - Did you ever sell the Kosei's with the MT's? Blueknight is trying to get into touch with you and is very interested in purchasing.

Your 60' times are monstrous!!!
Thanks man. I just sent him a PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Originally Posted by jmf003
Yep, I remember Mike saying the Qaife didn't improve his launch.

If ESP on works better for you or others, that's terrific. I've run multiple 1.69s and can hit 1.7x with reasonable consistency with ESP off, so I'm personally sticking with ESP off.

Might be interesting to poll folks to see if the guys running faster 60' times are ESP on or off.
now that i have drag radials i never use ESP anymore but when i had street tires the T1R's i would have to use ESP or i spin to much but ur right we should poll this lol
Old 04-25-2010, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
The title states street tires but since then I have change quite a bit...lol.

Here's a thread I found from a while back that I thought was interesting. I'm sure things have changed quite a bit from then to now. This may help others with their decision on purchasing DR's, street tires, or whatever else.

Here's my updated 60' time and tires used.

Sacramento Raceway 60' time = 1.585 w/ 16" CCW's mounted with Hoosiers.

Launch technique used: A quick 3 gear high speed burnout, shallow stage, launch between 900-950 RPM, and fricken floor it when that light turns green!!!!! You have to trust that your DR's will stick or it's time for a new set.

Last edited by bassn_07; 04-25-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:12 AM

2019 s560 sedan
1.82 on 19's with Nitto Invo's 22psi @ Atco
Old 04-25-2010, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
1.70 on 305/25/20 @ 40PSI ContiExtremeContact3's at MIR.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
The title states street tires but since then I have change quite a bit...lol.

Here's a thread I found from a while back that I thought was interesting. I'm sure things have changed quite a bit from then to now. This may help others with their decision on purchasing DR's, street tires, or whatever else.

Here's my updated 60' time and tires used.

Sacramento Raceway 60' time = 1.585 w/ 16" CCW's mounted with Hoosiers.

Launch technique used: A quick 3 gear high speed burnout, shallow stage, launch between 900-950 RPM, and fricken floor it when that light turns green!!!!! You have to trust that your DR's will stick or it's time for a new set.

What size and model of Hoosiers you running?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Old 04-25-2010, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Hey Ahmad, disregard the title and post your times if you could. You have one of the best 60' times ever....
Old 04-25-2010, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Damn Clayton....!!!

Its time for a new set of tires for myself and I'm thinking of trying something other than T1R's. Are these the tires you are using? I hear great things about these bad boys.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoModel=E55 Sedan&autoModClar=

Originally Posted by KLR CLS
What size and model of Hoosiers you running?
255/50/16

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-17325/
Old 04-25-2010, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
1.76 on T1Rs @ 25 psi.

some people are running lower than normal PSI and others standard or higher, both achieving excellent 60s. So what gives? Does it depend on the tire, the overall launch technique, track conditions? My ricer buddies convinced me to drop my PSI to 25 stating that it would increase tire surface area contact to the track. I pulled my best 60 ever by doing so. Not that it is really impressive, just my personal best.

Last edited by cal1; 04-25-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn Clayton....!!!

Its time for a new set of tires for myself and I'm thinking of trying something other than T1R's. Are these the tires you are using? I hear great things about these bad boys.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoModel=E55 Sedan&autoModClar=

255/50/16

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-17325/

No sir, I'm running these on my 20s:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

and these all-season's on my OEM 18's:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

By the way, 285/35/18 all-season's were good for a 1.79 at MIR. , which is probably more impressive, if you ask me.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cal1
1.76 on T1Rs @ 25 psi.

some people are running lower than normal PSI and others standard or higher, both achieving excellent 60s. So what gives? Does it depend on the tire, the overall launch technique, track conditions? My ricer buddies convinced me to drop my PSI to 25 stating that it would increase tire surface area contact to the track. I pulled my best 60 ever by doing so. Not that it is really impressive, just my personal best.
Generally speaking, lower pressure is better for traction. I stated 40psi on my 325/25/20's because that's what I run as a daily pressure. With only a 25 series tire, the higher pressure is needed. Had I not been able to hook at the track, lower pressure would've been my first change.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by cal1
1.76 on T1Rs @ 25 psi.

i disagree that lower psi will increase tire surface contact area on modern street tires as this was an old drag racer trick used with higher profile bias ply tires (especially considering the weight of our cars). too low of a psi on a low profile radial will tend to cup the tread instead, therefor decreasing contact patch.

go do some burnouts on a clean surface with different tire pressures and examine the marks and you'll see what i mean.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i disagree that lower psi will increase tire surface contact area on modern street tires as this was an old drag racer trick used with higher profile bias ply tires (especially considering the weight of our cars). too low of a psi on a low profile radial will tend to cup the tread instead, therefor decreasing contact patch.

go do some burnouts on a clean surface with different tire pressures and examine the marks and you'll see what i mean.
I wonder what the tire pressure is during the actual run? Say the tire pressure is 25 psi basically cold. Now a 3 second burnout is made just prior to stage. Does the burnout change the tire pressure significantly?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
No sir, I'm running these on my 20s:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

and these all-season's on my OEM 18's:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

By the way, 285/35/18 all-season's were good for a 1.79 at MIR. , which is probably more impressive, if you ask me.
Clayton, what kind of traction do you get in the streets? Just curious how your tires do outside of MIR. I'm really looking at either the Conti's you have or the one that I posted earlier.

Thank you!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Clayton, what kind of traction do you get in the streets? Just curious how your tires do outside of MIR. I'm really looking at either the Conti's you have or the one that I posted earlier.

Thank you!
Not great, but not horrible either. I mean, with the torque I'm putting down, nothing short of a sticky DR is gonna hook on the street. If I'm feeling bold and venture into the realm of the un-traction-controlled, I can literally break them loose at any speed under 60 mph. That said, if I make a conscience effort to put maximum power to the ground, without the circus show, the ContiSportContact3's are the better choice.

The other tires (ContiExtremeContact DWS) I have on my OEM wheels, are all-season. But make no mistake, if an all-season tire is what you desire, the ContiExtremeContact DWS are the creme de la creme, as shown by the national back order. I also have them on my E and I'm getting ready to order a set for my C240, as well as my R500. They are simply the best, non-summer tire I've ever driven on.

Now, don't be confused by another set of Contis out there, called the ContiExtremeContact DW. These are a summer tire, like the ContiSport3s, but I have no history with them. I have heard that they're a good summer tire as well.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 04-25-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Alan, I'm running the DW's currently for my summer set-up (went that way because the DWS's are freaks of nature when it comes to dry and wet grip for an all-season tire and I figured same DNA. . .). I ran the Conti-Sport II's before that. My major concern was wet weather performance rather than all out dry grip and as an added bonus their tread ratings are higher (the DWS's I had on for the winter had close to 10,000 miles and 10-12 burnouts and I'll probably be able to run them for the next three winters). The Sport III's are going to give you the all out grip but I'm not sure how much is left on the table going to the DW's (if you measuring in tenths and hundredths, it's probably going to be quantifiable - My guess, right in the middle of Clayton's 60 times for the DWS and Sport III-keeping in mind that the DWS were 18's and Sport III 20's). I've only had the DW's on for a couple of hundred miles but what I notice is that they are extremely quiet, the sidewalls are harder than the DWS's but the ride is still good on 19's (in sport II). I haven't had them in the rain yet but according to tirerack's test, they beat the PS2's in wet braking, and if the DWS's are any indication; they should be incredible. The only real "traction test" I've put them through was to use no brakes in a 90 degree turn that takes one to the road to our development; no squeal, no noticeable "push" like with the DWS's.

My guess, since you seem like someone who is willing to compromise on mods and horsepower (because really what can 447rwhp do) you should go with the Sport III's. I was more focused on ride quality and wet weather grip than anything else. Hope this helps - can't wait to see what times you're going to put up with the new mod.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Hey Ahmad, disregard the title and post your times if you could. You have one of the best 60' times ever....
Ok well my best so far is 1.494 with MT ET Streets on 16" CCW's launching at 2200rpm

Last edited by blackbenzz; 04-25-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Not great, but not horrible either. I mean, with the torque I'm putting down, nothing short of a sticky DR is gonna hook on the street. If I'm feeling bold and venture into the realm of the un-traction-controlled, I can literally break them loose at any speed under 60 mph. That said, if I make a conscience effort to put maximum power to the ground, without the circus show, the ContiSportContact3's are the better choice.

The other tires (ContiExtremeContact DWS) I have on my OEM wheels, are all-season. But make no mistake, if an all-season tire is what you desire, the ContiExtremeContact DWS are the creme de la creme, as shown by the national back order. I also have them on my E and I'm getting ready to order a set for my C240, as well as my R500. They are simply the best, non-summer tire I've ever driven on.

Now, don't be confused by another set of Contis out there, called the ContiExtremeContact DW. These are a summer tire, like the ContiSport3s, but I have no history with them. I have heard that they're a good summer tire as well.
Thank you for your input!

I've decided to try the new ContiExtremeContact DW. I've heard very good things about these tires and I'm also very pleased with the solid reviews they are getting.

Originally Posted by motorkas
Alan, I'm running the DW's currently for my summer set-up (went that way because the DWS's are freaks of nature when it comes to dry and wet grip for an all-season tire and I figured same DNA. . .). I ran the Conti-Sport II's before that. My major concern was wet weather performance rather than all out dry grip and as an added bonus their tread ratings are higher (the DWS's I had on for the winter had close to 10,000 miles and 10-12 burnouts and I'll probably be able to run them for the next three winters). The Sport III's are going to give you the all out grip but I'm not sure how much is left on the table going to the DW's (if you measuring in tenths and hundredths, it's probably going to be quantifiable - My guess, right in the middle of Clayton's 60 times for the DWS and Sport III-keeping in mind that the DWS were 18's and Sport III 20's). I've only had the DW's on for a couple of hundred miles but what I notice is that they are extremely quiet, the sidewalls are harder than the DWS's but the ride is still good on 19's (in sport II). I haven't had them in the rain yet but according to tirerack's test, they beat the PS2's in wet braking, and if the DWS's are any indication; they should be incredible. The only real "traction test" I've put them through was to use no brakes in a 90 degree turn that takes one to the road to our development; no squeal, no noticeable "push" like with the DWS's.

My guess, since you seem like someone who is willing to compromise on mods and horsepower (because really what can 447rwhp do) you should go with the Sport III's. I was more focused on ride quality and wet weather grip than anything else. Hope this helps - can't wait to see what times you're going to put up with the new mod.
Haha...yeah comfort and gas mileage are my first concerns! Thanks for the solid review and as stated above these are going on my car next. I currently have the T1R's on and they ride very hard towards the end of their life. I'm now looking for a little more comfort and a better wearing tire. These meet all my requirements from what I gathered.

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Ok well my best so far is 1.494 with MT ET Streets on 16" CCW's launching at 2200rpm
Really....what can I say
Old 04-26-2010, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
My personal best was 1.89 on Conti Sport Contact 2 (stock tires) and my friend Amer was able to push 1.85 on PS2s in the same car.