W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, now it's time for my MHP nightmare story **with Vids**

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by cruzinquick
Jim,

Was very nice meeting you at Famoso. I don't join these discussions, but hate to see this happen to good people. We don't have any paid vendors over on the crossfire forum, so its a jury by fire for our vendors. They deliver we sing, they don't we have a bonfire. I usually pick on them first to make sure they have a tested product before it's released to our forum. It's a different crowd, some with money some just normal joe's. What we do have that is different is cheaper products. Ok so it's a chrysler. Flame on. Same AMG motor and tranny as alot of cars on here. My custom tune is $500.

I datalog every pass that I make when I'm not bracket racing. I look it over see my rpms to AFR thoughout the shifts. If I see something I don't like and I want a peticular AFR reading raised or lowered at an exact rpm in the gear I want, I make a simple graph. Send it back with my ECU and its gets done. All just for shipping, and I send out on Monday get it back on Wednesday.

I'm not selling a tuner. That's not my point. My point is that if your going to add a tune to your car, you owe it to yourself and that German machine to install a real datalogger. Go to a track and make WOT passes into 4th gear. Record those passes and have your tuner look them over if your not able to.

Also If you can pay for a tune, then you can go to www.biondoracing.com and purchase a Performaire PA2 (portable weather station) for $500 bucks or less on ebay. This will allow you to get accurate DA readings prior to your runs. These are crucial for your tuner to know. Also for you so when you run .4 tenths of second slower you'll have something to point to.

At famoso only 1600' DA my AFR's were .3 higher than normal. While that is not crucial, what if weather had dropped to negative DA. I would have logged one pass and loaded up my car. Now my tune is actually conservative. I'm tuned 11-12's AFR on a WOT 1/4 pass. Do any of you know what your tuned for? Stock is in the 10's, and considered ultra safe. If your AFR's were in the 15's and above would you know it? Well you should. At idle the AFR is set from the factory at 14.7, it's when you get on it when you see the whole picture.

I don't do dyno's as I'm not sold on the fans in front recreating the actual air the intake is inducting while on a 1/4 mile pass. Also DA conditions are not the same inside a shop as a wide open track. Not to disrespect dyno's, I understand everyone can't make it to the track or simply doesn't care for it. The positive side of a dyno is no tire spin, just know that atmosperic conditions can surely be better outside than what your tuning for inside the shop. So leave a little safety net there.

Sorry a little topic but stuff you should know before you hand your ecu over to any tuner. It is afterall the heart of your car.
Thanks for the advice.

Although I consider the ECU more along the brain of the car...and the engine the heart.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 lightning,05e55amg
Originally Posted by BlackOnBlackCLK
I feel your pain my MHP experience was just as bad as yours broken promises and missed deadlines and a product that didnt work. when i sent it back the 3rd and final time to get flashed back to stock it took over a month to get it back but from what i've been reading a month isnt that long of a wait

when i first installed my ecu tcu i went for a ride the car shifted softer and slower then it did before the tune i wanted the rev limit raised MHP didnt come thru on that i wanted the secondary O2's turned off im not running cats once again MHP didnt come thru on that either so I send it back to get fixed a week or so later andy calls and says everything should be ok now and he doesnt know why the tune had the problems it had so I get it back Install and try to go for a ride but to my suprise the trans would not shift at wot it would just slip and the engine would shut down for 2-3 second at a time so I drove it normal for a few miles so it wouldnt slip and burn up my new trans and then i try it again and same thing happens i try it a few more times with same outcome. a few days later i hook it to star and we look at shift time they were unbeleivable 2 seconds + so thats my MHP experience...
Kurt i'm glad you got your money back hows it going in PA
Old 02-12-2009, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Originally Posted by cruzinquick
Jim,
I datalog every pass that I make when I'm not bracket racing. I look it over see my rpms to AFR thoughout the shifts. If I see something I don't like and I want a peticular AFR reading raised or lowered at an exact rpm in the gear I want, I make a simple graph. Send it back with my ECU and its gets done.

Sorry a little topic but stuff you should know before you hand your ecu over to any tuner. It is afterall the heart of your car.
Jim

I am really sorry, and feel your pain - over the years I have got to "know" you through your forum conduct so I know that you are being honest, fair and factual. You ahve been a tremendous contributor to this forum.

From the beginning I disliked Andy's forum conduct - found it abhorrent in fact, but I stayed quiet - shame on me. As a forum we have been negligent in driving of the posers at first blush - we need to do a better job of this. But when some start cheerleading loudly it confuses the scene tremendously.

I have so much respect for Albert (Rflow) and Derek (derekFSU) in both their modding approach and their forum conduct, that I knew things were up when they were reading but not posting.

Cruizinquick

thanks for your post above - this is the crux behind a serious modders desire to see improvements. You NEED to have a LIE DETECTOR. It is so easy to get swept up in the hype and often there is the placebo effect - "damn this car feels faster" on installation of the new ECU tune.

Dyno's can help but often they are misleading as so many factors are at play on different days on a dyno. But a plot of RPM and AFR ratios is difficult to dispute, and you can immediately see where there are gains to be made and conversely how close you are to melting a piston or throwing a rod.

I suggest to all playing in the modded ECU arena - get a datalogger today - these engines are expensive to replace!!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 AM

01 lightning,05e55amg
Originally Posted by NSX2NV
Sorry to hear. I won't be going to MHP for anything. LET is still a reputable company right?
You can't go wrong with LET they will have your ecu back in (1) day and they have custom tune days all over the US
Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
So basically what you're saying Jim is that MHP's tune is as ****ty as Andy's attitude we've been experiencing these last few months? What a sack of **** that guy is! Sorry you had to go through all of this nonsense!

But 26 degrees fahrenheit! Good Lord! Thanks for Cali!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by siswati
Jim
From the beginning I disliked Andy's forum conduct - found it abhorrent in fact, but I stayed quiet - shame on me. As a forum we have been negligent in driving of the posers at first blush - we need to do a better job of this. But when some start cheerleading loudly it confuses the scene tremendously.

I can read between the lines, I know who this statement is aimed at...guilty as charged. I feel very responsible for part of this mess, I was indeed an early "cheerleader". That is one of the reasons I came forward a couple days ago and said I was changing back to a Powerchip tune in my car. I am attempting to make things right, and I too am out about $5000.00 at this point. The truth of the matter is that I was planning on coming forward with my findings long before Tim Milliken made his post. I have known for over 3 weeks now about my ECU issues and have been keeping tight lipped, the only reason I did not come forward earlier is becuase we (me, Evosport and Powerchip) were analyzing everything and putting lots of evidence and proof together so that when we came forward there was no doubt in anyones eyes, we knew there was going to be questions and we wanted to have answers. I had not planned on telling my story for a few more days, but when Andy ran over to another forum to defend himself (and rightly so, I do think he should be allowed to try to at least explain the situation) he stated some mis-information so I felt I needed to set the record straight. I am happy Jim/Jakpro1 came forward with his story and rock solid video proof of his ordeal. There are a few more guys out there that contacted me over the past few days with "horror stories" of their own, I wish you guys would come forward and tell your stories as well, but don't worry, I am a man of my word and I am not gonna throw anyone under the bus to make my case.

I am going to be posting up some rock solid technical data later this morning, most of it is over my head and will probably be over most of your heads too, but it is rock solid proof and the perverbial "smoking gun" evidence some of the doubters of my story are still requesting...stay tuned
Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I could fill pages and pages with this extremely bizarre 3 month ordeal just to receive an ECU and TCU tune, but I will condense it quite a bit.

***edit, just looked at the post and WHOA, bit too long. Here is condensed version. THE TCU BLOWS AND HERE ARE VIDS COMPARED TO KLEEMANN

Back to back vids, click here and watch all the way through

Vids with MHP VS Klee repeated a few times...watch the speedo. The vid doesn't show me moving forward from car near shutting down for 3/4 sec

*****Long version below

"Jim, your car made 700hp....why the F would you want to get another tune" Vadim, Victor/VRUS and Andy were well aware of how different my car ran when we got it up here at 4300ft with average DA of around 6000ft. Victor and Vadim worked hard to trying everything they could but in the end we kinda chaulked it up to elevation. I was frustrated and wished I lived in Cali.

Biggest problem I had was the sluggish response off the line from my car. Even went so far as to buy a friggin sprint booster just so I could light up the tires.

Enter Andy and MHP.

I really went ahead with his tune after his claims of "total and complete" removal of ALL torque limiting in the tranny. Hey now!! This could be a really good thing for me up here and in good sales person form, Andy informed me that if I wanted the "full race" tranny flash, I should go with the ECU and TCU together. I bit on it.

Basically the next 3 months were an endless sea of broken promises. "Going out today" then nothing....."going out tomorrow for sure" then nothing. Many many of those and then when I threatened to do a chargeback. TADA!!!! In comes my ECU. They were having trouble with the TCU so we just went with the ECU after waiting for ONE MONTH!!

Now this is were I will get grief from the Andy haters. The ECU actually did make decent power after it adapted. The car was much better off the line even with my Kleemann TCU and I was excited to go to Sacto and see if it was all that. Car felt about the same as the VRP on the top end so it would have been great to put them both on the dyno but it wasn't meant to be.

Well most of you know already, it was a disaster. Whether it was my fault or Andy's tune will always be up for debate. Long story short I drove the car onto the trailer perfectly fine and when starting it 750 miles later in Sacramento, it POPPED and threw and CEL and then car would redline everytime I started it.

I returned home very bummed. I was informed by Andy that they would reflash another ECU for me but I would have foot the 1500+$ bill for a new ECU. How nice. Went ahead and spent even more money and they ordered the new ECU.

The next 2 months is where things just went absolutely crazy with Andy. Literally over a dozen....many even more of "dave is wrapping you up this week bro" and "just about done" with a few "should be in your hands by XXX" thrown in for seasoning.

On past Christmas we go with constant "on the ways" and it almost became a little comical. I obviously knew something was going wrong with them as NOONE was posting E55 feedback and basically noone was posting any feedback.

Coming to the conclusion now. Okay so the joke stopped being funny and I was getting pissed off. How can it take a tuner 2 months to do a tune????!!! I start getting more aggresive and the grand daddy of fibs was laid on me.

I was told "hey good news. YOUR STUFF IS DONE" Hey this is new. Not out this week or even "for sure you'll have it in your hands"...BUT DONE. I was informed that UPS would pick them up and a UPS tracking number arrived. As most of you know, it takes til late in evening for scans to start showing and I was checkin that sum-bit-ch every minute. I knew it was too good to be true. One day.....nothing......2 days..nothing......3 days and so on. I call...HOW CAN YOU TELL ME THEY ARE DONE AND UPS IS PICKING THEM UP AND THERE ARE NO SCANNNSSSSS!!!

Finally hear from Andy and I am told that Dave is now tuning for Chrysler and will be back soon. W T F??? Okay, so Dave is coming back now and Andy actually gives me Daves number. Dave keeps the lie going that the boxes are done and just waiting to be picked up. Even threw in a little Leo Decaprio and seemed pissed that they didn't pick up.

Nuther day....no scans. Nuther day....no scans.

Back we are again at the charge back point. Death threat to Andy. Hours long pause. Ring Ring Ring....hey look here I am getting a call.

Here is the wild part. I am told that Dave really just can't tune the ECU and TCU and that they are sorry about that. THATs IT. Now if I was a teeny bopper ricer, I would be like, "Duhhh okay." But I just sat there speechless. I was lied to worse than a used car salesman and not one of them apologized to me for just lying endlessly...nothing. Just moved forward as if nothing had happened and talked about how hard it was to tune AMG ECU's and that it might not happen at all. They might even get out of the business.

WOW, sometimes you just can't put into words how you are feeling.

Laid down a timeline for chargeback no matter what and hey...............yup you guessed it. What shows up but my ECU and TCU....just before the chargeback deadline and a full 2 months later.

Bottom line, I was like, "Well at least I will get the TCU in and see if I can take advantage of having no torque limits" despite this disaster.

Pop it in.....and just about laughed and cried at the same time. Tranny acts bizarre. Car drives through my neighborhood without shifting to 2nd. I have to bump the handle to get it into 2nd. When shifting from reverse to drive, it takes a good 2 secs or more.

Okay coming to a close here.

I take out the ECU and the TCU and get it on the highway. The car chirped going into 2nd and I was elated. Never had that happen before. The car actually banged into 2nd so hard it chirped. I call them and say well after all this time, maybe things will be okay. They are happy and I was still pissed but thinking that this tranny thing will work out great and I could put this chapter to rest.

NOPE. I turn the car around and punch it. Car shifts a bit slow 1st to 2nd (definitely no more chirp at WOT) and then when she goes from 2nd to 3rd.....WHOA. My head actually falls forward from the car shutting down for about a second. Back on the phone we go. What I got was typical. Give it time.....give it time.....drive the hell out of it.....disconnect the battery.

And now ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the MHP ECU and TCU in action for you to make your own judgement. This is with 250 hard hard miles on the car in WOT starts and stops and high speed runs.

You be the judge. Watch the whole vid as I take the TCU out before your eyes and pop in the Kleemann and show you the differnece.

Again, the video does not give you the feel of a high horsepower car literally shutting down for 3/4 sec. It's quite dramatic in the car.

I put the MHP back to back with the Kleemann TCU so you can see it for a few times. Watch the speedo. It really tells the story.

Right before post time, I received a txt from Andy wondering if I wanted to have them fix the TCU. After the last 3 months......would you?????

I apologize to the many many members who were commanding I call this all out months ago, but I am one who likes to wait til the very end. Hoping someone will throw a Hail Mary and everything will work out in the end.

With JR's post and Tim in the C63 section, I knew the game was now over.

Thank you to both of them for stepping up.

Glad to move on from this and get back my sanity......sure wish it would be sanity and 5K, but I don't think that is gonna ba happening either.
Wow - I had actually taken apart my floor board to access the ECU and TCU to send out before deciding against it (barely) last fall. Could have been me.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Jim You are a long time, well known member here at MBWorld, your contributions are numerous. I have nothing but respect for you. I must say that you gave MHP every benefit of the doubt. I hold your word in high regard and suggest to other members that your words (and vids) are creditable.
+1
Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM

'12 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Andy0331
But "MHP Forged" charged a higher price for their ECU/TCU combo than either of the above tuners.
Actually, Renntech's v2 is roughly the same price as MHP's.

The best bang for the buck right now (at least for the C63) really looks to be Kleemann.

EDIT: OP, I know we don't know each other, but THANK U for coming forward (as jrcart did) to share ur experiences with the forum. I'm so sorry u had to go thru this ordeal...

Last edited by blownS; 02-12-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Based on the OP's credibility, The evidence its irrefutable

+1000
Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Out Of Control!

Very to hear about your ordeal Jim. You're one of the pioneers in modding and for this to happen is just very sad.

Hope it gets fixed one way or the other.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Terribly sorry to hear about this situation Jim. We take your words as gospel here, I'm ready with my pitchfork and torch if you need me.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
You know guys, after reading all this it goes to show everyone...

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH 2ND TIER OVERNIGHT START UP MOD COMPANIES!

Kleemann, Renn Tech, Brabus, OLD school is best w/ mb amg cars. The only reason some people search out other tuners is usually money related, the 2nd tier mod companies are cheaper! there's a reason why.

(my .02 cents) now lets go take care of this Andy guy

Last edited by BMWEATR; 02-12-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by BMWEATR

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH 2ND TEAR OVERNIGHT START UP MOD COMPANIES!

Kleemann, Renn Tech, Brabus, OLD school is best w/ mb amg cars. The only reason some people search out other tuners is usually money related, the 2nd tear mod companies are cheaper! there's a reason why.

(my .02 cents)

Not sure whether you intended to use "tear" instead of "tier", but the pun is terrific.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
STOP WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH 2ND TIER OVERNIGHT START UP MOD COMPANIES!

Kleemann, Renn Tech, Brabus, OLD school is best w/ mb amg cars. The only reason some people search out other tuners is usually money related, the 2nd tear mod companies are cheaper! there's a reason why.

(my .02 cents)
Fixed that for you, but I agree wholeheartedly. There's no substitute for experience and track record. Don't waste your time and money on empty promises from newbies to this industry. There are people with decades of experience who, while they may charge a premium, do so for a good reason.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I'm ready with my pitchfork and torch if you need me.
Not to put any words in your mouth, but isn't this what you meant to say?

"What now? Let me tell you what now! I'm gonna call a couple of hard, pipe-hittin *%#&@@'s to go to work on homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow-torch...you hear me talkin' hill-billy boy? I ain't through with you by damn sight, I'm gonna get medieval on your azz"-Marsellus Wallace, Pulp Fiction
Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Originally Posted by jrcart
I can read between the lines, I know who this statement is aimed at...guilty as charged. I feel very responsible for part of this mess, I was indeed an early "cheerleader". That is one of the reasons I came forward a couple days ago
jrcart
It wasnt only directed at you - there were several other MHP/Andy cheerleaders here and on the C63 forum adding to the noise. But yes, you were in there with them!

Speaking on behalf of myself and surely many others on here, that have now been saved from a similar clusterf**k, I really appreciate you setting the record straight.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by jrcart
Not to put any words in your mouth, but isn't this what you meant to say?

"What now? Let me tell you what now! I'm gonna call a couple of hard, pipe-hittin *%#&@@'s to go to work on homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow-torch...you hear me talkin' hill-billy boy? I ain't through with you by damn sight, I'm gonna get medieval on your azz"-Marsellus Wallace, Pulp Fiction
Ok here is the million dollar question... do you know what Marsellus meant by that (actually Tarantino)?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH 2ND TEAR OVERNIGHT START UP MOD COMPANIES!

(my .02 cents) now lets go take care of this Andy guy
I have a question: What is the actual price difference between MHP and Kleeman others. etc.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by enzom
Not sure whether you intended to use "tear" instead of "tier", but the pun is terrific.
My thoughts exactly.

On a more sober note, I sincerely hope those adversely impacted by this entire mess have success in being made whole by MHP.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by Thericker
Yo Jim, since I was already in contact w/Andythru MBworld as well on the telephone before this all came to fruition. Andy called me tonite, I told him since he still has customers that like/enjoy his tuning, that in order to salvage/hopefully rectify this situation he should def REFUND ANY INDIVIDUAL that wants/seeks one..

Andy told me HE AGREES & WILL DO THIS NO PROBLEM, just call or email him & all your monies will be returned in a timely fashion....

Now mods please be clear this isn't ghost writing for Andy word for word, it's something Andy & I discussed & I felt it would help to ease the anxiety of the members/community who believe they've been totally kicked to the curb w/out possibility of said REFUND, if they're unhappy w/MHP ECU/TCU he'll refund your monies...

If the mods find this post somehow breaks any rules please either pm me & I'll remove it ASAP or if easier remove it @ your discretion...Thank you not trying to break any rules here just trying to help the forum members out that think/thought NO refund was available
Not a violation at all - it is a public service.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:36 PM

08 C63
WoW... to think I was gona ship my ECU to the states and have him mod it...

Kick him out of the forum =)
Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Does anyone find it more than a little ironic that the money paid to sponsor this part of the forum is coming from MHP. That same money came from the "scammed" customers who are now using that part of the forum to demand refunds from MHP.

I kinda smile a little every time I see that the W211 AMG section "Sponsored by MHP"
Old 02-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
With all due respect....We cant all beat ourselves up about this.

The factual TRUTH is that YES---MB puts torque limiters inside the ECU/TCU combo. The Bypass valve on 55K engines modulates boost and power. When some one says that the power in the 55k engine is just waiting to be unlocked----this is a TRUE statement.....

Now you have a respected ECU guy (Dave Kasper) state through Andy---We can unlock and disable these limiters set by MB. There are bound to be 5-10 guys who will JUMP at the chance of getting 50whp for nothing.

That said---I was a liitle confused by Andy's excuses about Marco's CL......He said things like--Markos car needed a complex TCU tune....with different engagement of lock up and line preasure.

Here's the problem....IFFFFFF you know where on the map the "line preasure" is and its set at 4....how hard is it to change the 4 to a 8?? Or the TC locks up at 4000rpm....change that to 2300rpm. Seriously---that takes weeks?

anyway.....lesson learned
Old 02-12-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Its unbelievable to me how many of these so called mod shops target MB owners with BS products. They asume they can charge more because we drive MB's. WTF!!!! They try and scam us as bad as when you get an e-mail that says you have 5 million dollars in a trust fund somehwere in Holland.

Does this happen to M, Porsche etc guys too?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Well, now it's time for my MHP nightmare story **with Vids**