W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay with all the drama who's left to tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
Does anyone know how VRP's powerchip tune differs from Evosport's powerchip tune?
The base tune would be the same, since it is supplied by Powerchip. The difference would be in the calibrations and what each tuner tells Powerchip they would like. Basically, EVOsport helped PC gather a load of data and then Vadim helped them learn about the TQ management that was being denied at the time by all tuners. Now, Powerchip has just learned more and they apply it to what they sell.

BTW, you can get that same tune through Powerchip directly or many other vendors as well. I like going through Vadim because i hold him accountable and he knows what the final product needs to be and not just looking for peak HP. He worked long and hard with Powerchip to refine the tune.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I know not a lot of people like to use them or even mention them because they're so freakin expensive, but they do provide decent tunes: MKB and Brabus

Okay, so here's an updated list of the major players (in random order)

- RennTech
- Kleemann
- MKB
- Brabus

I'm personally a big fan of RennTech from personal experience on a couple of cars.
Your major players don't include powerchip or VRP? I hope you are talking about the 63 and not the 55k. I haven't studied the MKB and Brabus tunes. anyone here run them and have soime numers to show?

Lastly, I'd add Lorinser into the mix. They are pumping out MB products again.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
VRP is powerchips
E55Pilot,

VRP is a legitimate tuner, regardless if Powerchip does the actual encoding. VRP has been the one who has put together tunes based on their packages, whereas Powerchip on it's own does not make things like headers, pulleys, cams, etc. That's the main difference. To say VRP is just a resold Powerchip is simply incorrect.

I am extremely pleased with my VRP setup and have great dyno #s that show it makes good power. As soon as the tracks re-open the 55 is going to be backing up the dyno's with some good track data.

-m
Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jangy
Your major players don't include powerchip or VRP? I hope you are talking about the 63 and not the 55k. I haven't studied the MKB and Brabus tunes. anyone here run them and have soime numers to show?

Lastly, I'd add Lorinser into the mix. They are pumping out MB products again.
For some reason, Brabus is not big on the 55k platform Lately, they've just been stuffing the 730 hp 6.3 V12 engine into all platforms: E, CLS, C, etc.... with their own tuning with to go along with it. However, they do provide tuning for the 55k nonetheless, and even provide tuning and parts for the SLR, 65s, and almost every single Mercedes model.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom CLK / 05 E500 4matic / 04 Acura TL <<Daily
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
Which tuners do we use?

Renntech
Kleeman

Who else?

Is LET legit?
Brabus :

Damn im so late in the thread someone has already mention it...
Old 02-14-2009, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by neveo
Previously i had tune from EuroElites as with others on this forum.
And you still have a motor? Congrats!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:23 AM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by acb3nz
Brabus :

I know this is OT, but that dark red is beautiful on your W208. Very nice!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Brabus :

Awesome sig.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Sounds like PC is a hardware co. They have shops tell them what and how the tune should be.. They have the tools to do the acual work and BAM a new tune. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing so BACK OFF Just a thought.. With Renntech They do all tunning in house and with thier new Tunning you can switch from tunned to stock in just minutes via OBD11 Even email them your data to look at, they fine tune it aND email it back if it needs anything. Not yet for sale but I have it "THE BLOCK" THEY CALL IT. So easy to use and I can go from a track tune to a street tune in minutes..

Last edited by rarfinancial; 02-14-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Sounds like PC is a hardware co. They have shops tell them what and how the tune should be.. They have the tools to do the acual work and BAM a new tune. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing so BACK OFF Just a thought.. With Renntech They do all tunning in house and with thier new Tunning you can switch from tunned to stock in just minutes via OBD11 Even email them your data to look at, they fine tune it aND email it back if it needs anything. Not yet for sale but I have it "THE BLOCK" THEY CALL IT. So easy to use and I can go from a track tune to a street tune in minutes..
In house? Which house? You are right that PC can play with many more parameters than RennTechn can. Put some actual hardware on and ask RennTech for a tune and see where that goes. It got me a blown motor and it was with their own pulley. Then, they (RennTech, NOT Creative) tried NUMEROUS times to tune the other cars (all 55ks) with NO improvements at all. The final verdict was that the car was overheating on the dyno and that a RennTech cooling system was in order. This was just before Vadim finally proved the TQ management issues. To this day I have yet to see a dyno of an '06 E55 (built in '06) with a RT tune that is good up top.

As for the block, yes it is cool. But, having an option to go to stock does me no good. Once the hardware is on, why would I go stock? The real interest would be in having multiple tunes and again, RennTech has not shown that they can do squat of late.

They did a good job on Angela's car, but what would all of that work cost any of us? If you are (which you are) the type to ship off your car and just have it tricked, then yes RT has the skills. But, if you are an enthusiast that enjoys the process itself then you would be better off dealing with Dyno Comp. Hmmmm, in house, huh?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Custom CLK / 05 E500 4matic / 04 Acura TL <<Daily
Originally Posted by Busta Riles
I know this is OT, but that dark red is beautiful on your W208. Very nice!
Thank you sir for those kind words

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Awesome sig.
I cant take credit for the sog since i didnt make it, thank you ne ways.

Last edited by acb3nz; 02-14-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
In house? Which house? You are right that PC can play with many more parameters than RennTechn can. Put some actual hardware on and ask RennTech for a tune and see where that goes. It got me a blown motor and it was with their own pulley. Then, they (RennTech, NOT Creative) tried NUMEROUS times to tune the other cars (all 55ks) with NO improvements at all. The final verdict was that the car was overheating on the dyno and that a RennTech cooling system was in order. This was just before Vadim finally proved the TQ management issues. To this day I have yet to see a dyno of an '06 E55 (built in '06) with a RT tune that is good up top.
Do you mean they can change more parameters in the ECU? I'm sorry but I don't think they can alter more parameters than RennTech or any other tuner for that matter. By the way, I've seen at least a couple of 2005 stage 1 RennTech E55s run at Famoso and at Fontana and one of them was performing a little better than a stage 2 Evosport/Powerchip.

As for the block, yes it is cool. But, having an option to go to stock does me no good. Once the hardware is on, why would I go stock? The real interest would be in having multiple tunes and again, RennTech has not shown that they can do squat of late.
Sometimes one wants a 109 octane tune for maximum performance on the track, then switch back to a 93 octane tune for the streets. Also, on the track, sometimes it helps to swap tunes to adjust for DA and weather conditions or even having a NOS tune and a non NOS tune, etc.....

They did a good job on Angela's car, but what would all of that work cost any of us? If you are (which you are) the type to ship off your car and just have it tricked, then yes RT has the skills. But, if you are an enthusiast that enjoys the process itself then you would be better off dealing with Dyno Comp. Hmmmm, in house, huh?
I don't think he meant the actual install in house, but also the product development and production along with the tuning and such. You're absolutely right about RennTech being expensive, but like you also said, they got "skills". If you have the money, RennTech does a great job in my opinion. They did an unbelievable job on Angela's car. It beat all E55s at the track except for Mikey's but even he stated that her car feels faster than his, and that he's sure that it would've easily beat his car had he had enough time to run it a second time before the track closed. He drove both cars, and he knows.....
Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
what mods are on her car?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jikjak
what mods are on her car?
The standard stage 5 stuff + a few secrets here and there
Old 02-14-2009, 09:04 PM

08 MB
This company isn't a convenient option by any means as they have no US distributor but they appear to making some nice packages/cars. The problem is they don't seem to do custom tuning but just package tuning like Renntech, Kleeman, etc. from when I questioned about my car.

http://www.vaeth.com/tuning_modelle_...=e-klasse_w211

On a side note UPS shipping is priority for international(2-3 days for Europe) so downtime for an ECU shouldn't be much longer than a US tuner but a little more expensive.

If you don't speak German http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ is enough to use and translate with copying and pasting. I had to do the same with the full pdf parts list sent to me in German for my application.

Last edited by racetested; 02-14-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Yes Mo you are right about the BLOCK.. Let say you have a very strong tune By RennTech and you need to take you car in to the dealer for service they flash your ECU and you lose your tune not any more , Just plug the block in and in a few minutes BAM your RennTech tune is back Or lets say like Mo says you have a 93 octane tune for street but at the track you run a 100 octane tune again just plug in the BLOCK and BAM you have a 100 octane tune.. As for dynos, I have some very very strong #'s much higher than I see from others I would even go as far as to say it may be the highest CLS 63 #'s to date N/A & NOS.. I have not yet posted any sheet up but we will be hitting the dyno again Tuesday then I will Post the #'s lets just say the NOS #S WILL BE VERY VERY CLOSE TO THE 600 rwhp MARK I will also have a surprise DYNO sheet for all to see..
Jang I don't know anything about 55's tuning but I do know a lot about the
63's and I have yet to see any #s higher than what I just put down at the track and that was on 91 Of couse besides the BS but with all the mods the BS has It is the fastest 63 no matter what tune it runs.. Hey did you get the LT's Jang Come by I gotta see them man, I'm still on the hunt..

Last edited by rarfinancial; 02-15-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Do you mean they can change more parameters in the ECU? I'm sorry but I don't think they can alter more parameters than RennTech or any other tuner for that matter. By the way, I've seen at least a couple of 2005 stage 1 RennTech E55s run at Famoso and at Fontana and one of them was performing a little better than a stage 2 Evosport/Powerchip.

Yes I do mean that, ONLY on the 55k platform. Honestly, PC would NEVER have bothered to gain so much out of the 55k had it not been for Vadim and all the data he generates. I never said RT doesn't have the resources. I meant to say that i did not feel that they invested those resources into the outdated 55k platform.

Mo, I am talking about a 2006 built in 2006. That s KEY, because it has the secondary injector / TQ management embedded. That is when all the various issues surfaced. It was the first time MB was so proactive in blocking ECU tuning.

Sometimes one wants a 109 octane tune for maximum performance on the track, then switch back to a 93 octane tune for the streets. Also, on the track, sometimes it helps to swap tunes to adjust for DA and weather conditions or even having a NOS tune and a non NOS tune, etc.....

No argument on the block. it is a neat feature and I want one, I just have no need for having a revert to stock option. If it can hold two "tunes", then i am for it. Thats all.

They did an unbelievable job on Angela's car. It beat all E55s at the track except for Mikey's but even he stated that her car feels faster than his, and that he's sure that it would've easily beat his car had he had enough time to run it a second time before the track closed. He drove both cars, and he knows.....
Angela's car is fast, and I don't even have an issue saying it is the fastest E55k in our fold. But an unbelievable job? Keep in mind that Angela's car had the internals (bottom end) rebuilt with nice parts. The difference between her car and Mikey's is HUGE and yet they were about the same. What does that tell you? Would you have ALL of your guts redone to a stage 5 level and yet be neck and neck with Mikey? No disrespect meant, since in our worlds, a fraction of a second can be HUGE, but it was a believable project. Also, I already noted that for clients that want to spend that kind of money and have such work done, then yes RT is great. I am not saying that their hardware is expensve (it is, but that isn't the issue). The problem is that they will not ncare as much about a client paying $10K total vs one having the car rebuilt.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
The standard stage 5 stuff + a few secrets here and there

Dude, that isn't a fair statement. Her car was already a stage 5. She is still running EVOSport cooling and all, maybe even their pulley. She also has the EVO modded exhaust, so RT did NOT go all out on her car.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Yes Mo you are right about the BLOCK.. Let say you have a very strong tune By RennTech and you need to take you car in to the dealer for service they flash your ECU and you lose your tune not any more , Just plug the block in and in a few minutes BAM your RennTech tune is back Or lets say like Mo says you have a 93 octane tune for street but at the track you run a 100 octane tune again just plug in the BLOCK and BAM you have a 100 octane tune..

Again, no-brainer I agree that it is a sweet thing. I had only heard that it was stock or tuned and that is what would do me no0 good since my car would be crippled on the OEM tune. I would like a 100octane and a 91 octane tune, though.

As for dynos, I have some very very strong #'s much higher than I see from others I would even go as far as to say it may be the highest CLS 63 #'s to date N/A & NOS.. I have not yet posted any sheet up but we will be hitting the dyno again Tuesday then I will Post the #'s lets just say the NOS #S WILL BE VERY VERY CLOSE TO THE 600 rwhp MARK I will also have a surprise DYNO sheet for all to see..

You know I have followed your car and all I was talking about was the 55k platform. If you remember previous posts, I had said that I felt RT has the best 63 tune out, since YOU did so much R&D. 100% agreed that your tune is refined as I say mine is because each company spent true time and effort on getting them that way. BTW, you also know that i believe you to have the most powerful 63, period.

Jang I don't know anything about 55's tuning but I do know a lot about the
63's and I have yet to see any #s higher than what I just put down at the track and that was on 91 Of couse besides the BS but with all the mods the BS has It is the fastest 63 no matter what tune it runs.. Hey did you get the LT's Jang Come by I gotta see them man, I'm still on the hunt..
I need to come by there. I've been lucky enough to be buried with work so I can't complain, but hey...
Old 02-15-2009, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
I have Renntech pulleys and as for the IC, that is Mikes advantage on me. LOL RT also had to redo my exhaust. The tech at evosport welded the clamp on the wrong side and it was hitting the heat shield. Too bad I had to send it to Florida to fix that two year noise complaint! My evosport mods were more expensive than my used block, shipping the car, and new RT mods. My car is similar to Mikes, but he actually has a few more mods. My car was built with a few different parts to make it stronger not faster. I have three more mods coming that should put it over the top.

As to your comment Jangy about RT not doing anything new? Does Vadim have a speedshift program? RT just had a 20th year in business celebration. I have a feeling they are doing more than you think and will weather the economy.

Edited to comment on tune.... I would NEVER recommend Powerchip to anyone. I enjoyed reading how it couldn't have happened to my engine but jcart had problems with his tune. I think they mentioned some sort of glitch. LOL

Last edited by BENZGal; 02-15-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by BENZGal
I have Renntech pulleys and as for the IC, that is Mikes advantage on me. LOL RT also had to redo my exhaust. The tech at evosport welded the clamp on the wrong side and it was hitting the heat shield. Too bad I had to send it to Florida to fix that two year noise complaint! My evosport mods were more expensive than my used block, shipping the car, and new RT mods. My car is similar to Mikes, but he actually has a few more mods. My car was built with a few different parts to make it stronger not faster. I have three more mods coming that should put it over the top.

Do you mind naming the mods? Are they just stronger or lighter? I'm confused on where you think the power is coming from. You saying it is just the ECU tune?

As to your comment Jangy about RT not doing anything new? Does Vadim have a speedshift program? RT just had a 20th year in business celebration. I have a feeling they are doing more than you think and will weather the economy.

Damn Angela, I didn't realize this was about Vadim vs RT. RT has had the upgraded tranny for the E55k for many years. What is new? The 82mm TB? To be clear, I don't think they are going out of business although it is pretty clear you haven't been cued to the financial state a year ago. I know RT has resources, I just think the ones that will be happy with RT stuff are those that get it ALL done right (as you did) and it isn't cheap, especially if you didn't already have hardware.

Edited to comment on tune.... I would NEVER recommend Powerchip to anyone. I enjoyed reading how it couldn't have happened to my engine but jcart had problems with his tune. I think they mentioned some sort of glitch. LOL
I don't blame you one bit. I do not know what actually happened and you and I have not discussed this, but my belief is that Powerchip did not know about the TQ management and was trying to adjust timing even on a rich tune. Either way, it is conjecture. Point is, you were obviously not taken care of and I can relate.

This isn't about whom you like. It is about what the tuners offer.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
RT has a few new things. I wasn't trying to put down Vadim. Vadim has always been good to me and perhaps if I would have paid him for my original mods he would have worked long and hard on my tune. To stay on topic I still think PC stinks and is unpredictable as evident in jcarts post.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:40 PM

SL55 AMG
Just wanted to say the PC tune I have, especially the recently updated version I received last month, works great for me.

Just my .02
Old 02-16-2009, 12:20 AM

CLK63 BS AUDI S5 AUDI Q7 4.2 SLine C230 Sport 2010 ML 350
Thank you sir for those kind words

I cant take credit for the sog since i didnt make it, thank you ne ways.
Don't know you but - Your car is done RIGHT!
Nice Job
Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Out Of Control!

Can vouch for Kleemann here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Okay with all the drama who's left to tune?