W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know there's a lot of concern over failed airmatic components - are there any

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Update:

liner out etc.

Time to remove plastic clip. how does the danged thing come out.

Oh I see it breaks off.

Now I have it out and disconnected.

Next I removed the top ball joint apart from the support arm to swing the arm out.

I could not tell in the procedure if this was done.

Removed the air line and elec from top of strut

Removed lower bolt and with jack under wheel removed top 3 nuts.

Lowered the swing arm and removed the strut.

Found strut leaking oil from bottom but air bag appeared ok. Air will also leak out where oil leaks. There was no pressure in the bag and front totally collapsed.

New strut arrives this afternoon. Will install tomorrow assuming I can compress it enough to fit.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Strut arrived promptly from Arnott. Nice job on strut. Only defect was broken plut on top of strut. Not enough to prevent use.

I had the top ball joint apart and lowered the lower control arm fully down. I released some of the pressure by plugging in the strut and connecting the battery with the upper A frame arm down to vent pressure.

I did not vent all the pressure.

After about 10 vents I inserted the lower end of the strut in the center of what years ago would be the lower A arm. Then I inserted the top into the hole and started the nuts. I pulled up the 3 nuts but left slack.

Then I used my 2 ton jack and a cut 2x4 to apply pressure to the bottom of the strut compressing it enough to pry it over the arm where it seats.

Then using a drift pin and the jack was able to line the hole up enough to start the bolt. I used the impact wrench to pull the bolt through to the opposite side then jack & drift again for alignment. The bolt drove through easily with impact and then tightened it all up.

Only potential issue was ball joint did not want to tighten up as it would turn in the ball socket. I jacked it up with the 2x4 under the rotor to apply pressure then tapped it with a hammer to seat it. Then it tightened up correctly.

Side note I used a puller to take apart the ball joint. I had a lot of pressure on the joint then used a 16 oz hammer for one smack on the joint and it popped apart.

Current status strut is in bolted down air/elec connected but still need to connect the lower wiring and repair the broken clip install the inner fender and tire.

Hopefully the ride hight will be correct.

NOTE: IF you have the strut arm hanging down and not in normal ride position when you tighten the lower strut bolt it is possible to have enough friction to prevent the system from attaining the correct ride height until things loosen up a bit. If you don't disconnect the ride height arm from the sensor there should be no change in ride height.

Thanks to all who contributed. vettdvr
Old 10-29-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
Not sure why you had an issue with the upper ball joint. I just removed the three small nuts and bolts that sandwich it into the upper A arm. Even then it is a ***** to the the strut in. I got the upper part of the strut started and then stepped on the lower arm and bounced on it while my wife pushed the strut over the lower A arm and into place. I did not let any pressure out. On the first strut I srewed up, I used my SDS to let pressure out and went too far. Arnott was replace the new shock I messed up with no cost other than shipping.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by LantanaML320
Not sure why you had an issue with the upper ball joint. I just removed the three small nuts and bolts that sandwich it into the upper A arm. Even then it is a ***** to the the strut in. I got the upper part of the strut started and then stepped on the lower arm and bounced on it while my wife pushed the strut over the lower A arm and into place. I did not let any pressure out. On the first strut I srewed up, I used my SDS to let pressure out and went too far. Arnott was replace the new shock I messed up with no cost other than shipping.
My upper arm did not have the 3 bolts and the ball joint was part of the arm. I decided to pop the joint apart with my puller. I didn't have a wife with me to help. I just used a jack and slightly compressed the strut after attaching it to the top bolts. Then compressed used a small pry bar to pop it over the lower arm in place. A drift pin was used to align the holes and bolt inserted. Note: my E 500 isn't AMG but earlier model than yours and the 3 bolt mod makes it way easier to change ball joints. This happened after my model year. It is a real PITA to get to the two bolts holding the upper arm in place.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R-500 2006
Originally Posted by adelekem
Hi guys,

I just replaced my two front struts on my 2003 E500 with arnott struts. I live in Guam so there is no MB dealership here. There is a local shop that services MB's in the area and they installed my shocks. This was 3 weeks ago. Now I get the airmatic (vehicle with up arrow) visit workshop! warning on my display. The car is level and it responds to raising and lowering. I don't have STAR/DAS but I am considering getting it so that I can know whats going on with it. Did you guys reset the car after the struts were installed? If I dont have Star, how can I reset the computer? I have read that there is a secondary battery in the car that prevents you from powering the car down completely. Please help.
Hi everybody,

I have R-500 and I've replaced front passenger strut with the one from Arnott yesterday. Everything looks fine except the warning showing car with up arrow and visit workshop sign. I've seen the suggestion from forum member vettdvr that it should be a leak in the air system, so on Monday I will probably go to the dealer workshop, but is that the only possible reason? This message did not pop up before, though my old strut had a leak, and I was using the car while waiting for the replacement.

Your help is much appreciated!
Old 11-26-2011, 03:59 AM

R-500 2006
Originally Posted by vorozhbyt
Hi everybody,

I have R-500 and I've replaced front passenger strut with the one from Arnott yesterday. Everything looks fine except the warning showing car with up arrow and visit workshop sign. I've seen the suggestion from forum member vettdvr that it should be a leak in the air system, so on Monday I will probably go to the dealer workshop, but is that the only possible reason? This message did not pop up before, though my old strut had a leak, and I was using the car while waiting for the replacement.

I've discovered in addition that I can't switch the suspension modes, it's in sport mode now, and doesn't react when I push the button.

Thanx!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Hi everybody,

Mine had the warning also for a short time. After several starts and cycles it went off never to come on again. You didn't say if you had driven or how many cycles.

There is only one air line and I reco you bubble test it with the compressor running to see if you find a leak. Don't over tighten it will strip out the plastic on the strut.

If you see no leaks check the right height sensor that connects to the upper arm on the suspension to make sure it isn't damaged.

If these are ok you may have a leak in the other strut.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:15 AM

R-500 2006
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Mine had the warning also for a short time. After several starts and cycles it went off never to come on again. You didn't say if you had driven or how many cycles.

There is only one air line and I reco you bubble test it with the compressor running to see if you find a leak. Don't over tighten it will strip out the plastic on the strut.

If you see no leaks check the right height sensor that connects to the upper arm on the suspension to make sure it isn't damaged.

If these are ok you may have a leak in the other strut.
Hi vettdvr,

thanx for the prompt reply! Since strut replacement I had about 10 of short sides less than 50 km in total. The message is still there, and the suspension is in sport mode right from the start, and it doesn't switch to auto or comfort mode when I push the button, which is really strange...

Anyway, as you've advised, I will check the connection of airline and sensor, and will post here. Also I will see my mechanic on Monday, and he has special computer for checking the car (don't now how to name it properly :-)

BR
Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Be sure to check the plug on the top of the strut also make sure the contacts are clean.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:16 AM

R-500 2006
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Be sure to check the plug on the top of the strut also make sure the contacts are clean.
Hi vettdvr,

Thank you very much - you're completely right - now everything is OK, and the problem was due to bad electrical contact of the new strut. The plug was not all the way in due to rubber insulation inside the socket, and that was the reason.

BR
Old 11-28-2011, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Hi vettdvr,

Thank you very much - you're completely right - now everything is OK, and the problem was due to bad electrical contact of the new strut. The plug was not all the way in due to rubber insulation inside the socket, and that was the reason.

BR
Glad it worked out for you.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 AM

03 E55, HB Torana
If both rear sides have dropped completly overnight is it unlikely both struts have failed or could the leak be coming from somewhere else?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Driftvs
If both rear sides have dropped completly overnight is it unlikely both struts have failed or could the leak be coming from somewhere else?
The rear uses air springs. If both sides are down you probably have a failed air spring. (these are the big rubber bags you see on trucks).

It is possible the air line is leaking and the accumulator has been known to have leaks on some cars.

When mine was down on both sides in the rear all I had to do was replace both airsprings. Total cost was only around $4000.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM

2005 E500
Extremely Helpful w/ one question?

2005 e500 4matic. Since my right front has failed, is at dealership. Can I drive it 60 miles home??
Thanks to all that just save me 1200!!! The Arnott should be here tomorrow.
Again, can I drive it 60 miles home without causing any other problems?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by armstrong1
2005 e500 4matic. Since my right front has failed, is at dealership. Can I drive it 60 miles home??
Thanks to all that just save me 1200!!! The Arnott should be here tomorrow.
Again, can I drive it 60 miles home without causing any other problems?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Personally, I would not drive it. If you go back in this thread you will see a part number in my post for a block that lifts the car off the tire. On the E55 (larger tires & wheels) the tires do rub when AirMatic fails.
Check your insurance to see if they cover towing/flatbed, even if they don't it will still be cheaper to have the car flatbed-ed and DIY installation of the Arrnot than what the dealer will charge.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Dumb Question...Where have you guys been placing the front jackstands..???
Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Funny that I spent a while looking for 2 wires until I finally realized I only have one connecting to the lower.
I know there's a lot of concern over failed airmatic components - are there any-fd3a351b.jpg
Hopefully my Arnott goes in as easy as this came out
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And another big thanks to Yachtmaster for the OG write up.!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's a good laugh for everyone...Imagine my surprise when I'm reconnecting the negative terminal and hearing air squish out up front to deflate the shock and it stayed rock hard...Then being the genius I am finally notice after about 20 minutes of this that I hadn't removed the nut they ship screwed into the pneumatic opening...DOH...Got a lot easier after that...I'll probably get in trouble for this, but there is a 10% code over on benzworld for anyone needing new pieces. It covers anything on Arnott's site
Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by citylightva
Here's a good laugh for everyone...Imagine my surprise when I'm reconnecting the negative terminal and hearing air squish out up front to deflate the shock and it stayed rock hard...Then being the genius I am finally notice after about 20 minutes of this that I hadn't removed the nut they ship screwed into the pneumatic opening...DOH...Got a lot easier after that...I'll probably get in trouble for this, but there is a 10% code over on benzworld for anyone needing new pieces. It covers anything on Arnott's site
Now that sounds like something I have done in the past.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by arnottdoug
There is a 10% Arnott Air Suspension Discount for MBWorld members also.

https://mbworld.org/forums/vendor-gr...-products.html

Enter MBWorld312 during checkout or give that code during a phone order for 10% off (up to $75). Offer ends July 1, 2012.
Well Dah. I didn't know that and bought mine there!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
last summer i bought an arnott from another member on here for rainy day. PS one i picked up.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
To avoid future confusion, the write up that everyone is referring to was contributed by user "Yacht Master" NOT "Yachtmaster". Both users exist. His post is not broken out in a separate DIY, rather is attached to the first page of this thread. Here it is:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...there-any.html

Last edited by kurtwz; 05-07-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:29 PM

'08 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by kurtwz
Having problems finding the DIY for replacing the strut that user "Yacht Master" produced. Many have referred to it for the good info. If someone could provide a link, that would be greatly appreciated. (BTW, I've searched).
It's on page 1 of this thread!
https://mbworld.org/forums/3353133-post3.html
Old 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM

2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Originally Posted by timeToy
It's on page 1 of this thread!
https://mbworld.org/forums/3353133-post3.html
THanks, couldn't find it right away just cus I thought it was broken out from this thread, heh :-S

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: I know there's a lot of concern over failed airmatic components - are there any