W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QUALITY of exhaust note: to X pipe...or to not X pipe ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:45 AM
Q..

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GT, AMG GLE 53
QUALITY of exhaust note: to X pipe...or to not X pipe ??

I have spent the last few days reading through the [numerous] threads on exhaust system mods.
In particular the various muffler & cat delete X pipe approach
X pipes, H pipes, straight through, ...which makes more power, ..which doesn't.
All good. [....and some humerous sledging as expected ]

The question I pose is this: What do they sound like ?

- Is a system with an X pipe louder or quieter than a system without an X pipe ?
- Is it deeper & bassier with or without an X pipe ?
- Does it crackle more or less with an X pipe ?
- Is a factory H pipe system, with straight through louder or quieter than an X pipe system ?

I know sound is a very subjective...... so I have tried to limit the scope to louder, quieter, bassy, crackly.

I am after your opinion or sound clip before I start to hack away.....

oh, a little about me.
Newbie [obviously]
Just bought my second E55......and want to modify it.
Former w129 owner
Have a Porsche fetish also.

Cheers
Paul
Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Q..

AMG GT, AMG GLE 53
an internet full of people....and no one has an opinion on exhaust note ????
Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG 2010, Black, Pano, P2
Question

Originally Posted by Q..
an internet full of people....and no one has an opinion on exhaust note ????
I want to know too. There is so much info that it is hard to know what the is best option. I am also looking to improve on the stock sound but afraid to mess around with the car. So what is the most optimal configuration to get the most out of stock exhaust without being too loud or power loss (I would love to get C63 sound).
Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Like you said, good sound is quite subjective. When my exhaust was completely stock, I had the resonator removed and replaced with an x-pipe. I really liked the change in sound. It may have been ever so slightly louder, which is probably due to the lack of a resonator more than due to the addition of the x-pipe. It did however, smooth out the exhaust note which I really liked. Not too smooth, but smoother than stock... It went in the opposite direction of the throaty burble. Oh and the tone seemed to get very slightly more deeper, but barely noticeable. I don't have any dyno sheets to prove my feelings, but I noticed a smoother pull at higher rpm's.

After that I had my local exhaust shop cut out the factory h-pipe that is right before the primary cats and just straight pipe it into the cats, this way the only crossover is the x-pipe. That smoothed out the sound some as well, tho it had less impact than the addition of the x-pipe on the overall sound of the exhaust.

I then added headers, 1.75 inch primaries, custom mid-length and stainless. The car is louder, though not too loud. Still have primary cats, and secondary cats, and stock mufflers. I would post a sound clip but my digital camera is terrible.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:27 PM

E63 AMG, Porsche 911, Toyota Prius, Acura Legend, BMW K1200RS
I've got the very same question about my E63. I want a little more aggressive sound but I really don't want to over do it, so I've been afraid to mess with it. Unlike many here, I don't live in a major metropolitan area, so there's little option for me to hear someone else's modded car (or go to a tuning shop). So anything I attempt to do is, in my opinion, rolling the dice.

Like Bobgodd, I'd really like to try the X-pipe and headers (exactly like he described) but haven't been able to bring myself to go for it yet.

Although I haven't heard it either, the tech at my dealer said that the new SL63s sound really good. This may be the sound that I'm looking for.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Q..

AMG GT, AMG GLE 53
bobgodd
thank you

exactly the type of comments i was hoping for.
....someone who has tried several different options, with different results.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
I am looking for feedback on this as well.....

I agree 100% w 911 K2

Also, thanks Bob G
Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
A long time ago back in 2006 I first started the X-pipe trend on the W210 E55 AMGs once I did a before & after dyno of the X-pipe and it showed to pick up roughly 8wheel HP on the top end. The W210s did not have any crossover whatsoever so they were especially beneficial on the W210 E55s. However, the W211 does have a very weird chevron shaped H-pipe early on in the exhaust system but it hardly helps out scavenging effects, its mainly meant to equalize pulses between both cylinder banks.

X-pipes also give a smoother and more refined sound (less resonance) than a resonator delete (straight pipes) setup, so if you are going to eliminate resonator on any of the E55s its a no brainer to replace it with an X-pipe to help smoothen out the exhaust note and improve flow a bit more. If you do not plan on touching the stock mufflers then the X-pipe is a nice addition and will maintain a very OEM like exhaust note w/ just a bit more sporty tone without annoying drone.

I personally have not dynoed the W211 X-pipe setup but I am sure similar results should be had as the W210 if not more (after all it does have more HP so that's not a huge stretch).

If you do X-pipe, high flow secondaries & shorty headers then the sound may get a bit much for those wanting a more conservative exhaust note (although this will still be more conservative than any long tube header setup which will drastically change the exhaust note). Whether you consider the long tube header sound good or bad is subjective but it is very different than stock and you will lose much of that OEM type mercedes refined sound and it will basically just sound LOUD (for better or for worse).

Hope that helps
~AMS~

(pic below for illustration purposes, pics aren't 100% accurate to US spec but the back half of the drawing is accurate, front half has crossover)

Last edited by AMS Performance; 02-18-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i'm not sure why people keep claiming long tube headers will drastically alter exhaust sound or just make a 55k motor loud. i can assure you that it's NOT true (at least not in my case). i'm running long tubes into an x-pipe with no cats or resonator into the oem mufflers and my car is as quiet as stock when cruising at any speed and it's only moderately louder in the cabin when getting into the throttle.

Last edited by chiromikey; 02-18-2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:37 AM
Q..

AMG GT, AMG GLE 53
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
A long time ago back in 2006 I first started the X-pipe trend on the W210 E55 AMGs once I did a before & after dyno of the X-pipe and it showed to pick up roughly 8wheel HP on the top end. The W210s did not have any crossover whatsoever so they were especially beneficial on the W210 E55s. However, the W211 does have a very weird chevron shaped H-pipe early on in the exhaust system but it hardly helps out scavenging effects, its mainly meant to equalize pulses between both cylinder banks.
I did not realise that an X-pipe would actually yield more hp.....nice

X-pipes also give a smoother and more refined sound (less resonance) than a resonator delete (straight pipes) setup, so if you are going to eliminate resonator on any of the E55s its a no brainer to replace it with an X-pipe to help smoothen out the exhaust note and improve flow a bit more. If you do not plan on touching the stock mufflers then the X-pipe is a nice addition and will maintain a very OEM like exhaust note w/ just a bit more sporty tone without annoying drone.
well, there is the guts of it right there ^^^^

If you do X-pipe, high flow secondaries & shorty headers then the sound may get a bit much for those wanting a more conservative exhaust note (although this will still be more conservative than any long tube header setup which will drastically change the exhaust note). Whether you consider the long tube header sound good or bad is subjective but it is very different than stock and you will lose much of that OEM type mercedes refined sound and it will basically just sound LOUD (for better or for worse).
I hadn't considered headers, as I am only concerned with quality of exhaust note atm....

Hope that helps
~AMS~
thank you so much
Old 02-18-2009, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
all x-pipes are not created equal. shape placement within the exhaust system can yield different results in both sound and hp.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
all x-pipes are not created equal. shape placement within the exhaust system can yield different results in both sound and hp.
Bingo.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
All true, but even in the less than optimum place they still make great power. On the W210 E55 AMGs they are placed way back in the exhaust system by the rear axle past 4 stock cats and even so they still made 8wheel HP on the top end. Also X-pipes with smooth merges are much better than X-pipes with sharp curves in the middle (basically 4 cut pipes welded together similar to what some people in the W211 E55 community use), these designs are not good b/c they create restriction & turbulence.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Unless one has long tube headers with bigger cams, the X-pipe - no matter how it is configured - will not add any power. There is simply not enough exhaust energy pulsing coming out to take advantage of any merging into X-pipe.

The only benefit X-pipe will provide is improvement in sound. A little bit on 55 Kompressors, due to it lower 9:1 CR and bigger bang on 63s, due to it's higher11.3:1 CR.

This is based on playing with exhaust tuning for over 20 years and trying out a lot of different configurations on a lot of different engines.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
Unless one has long tube headers with bigger cams, the X-pipe - no matter how it is configured - will not add any power. There is simply not enough exhaust energy pulsing coming out to take advantage of any merging into X-pipe.

The only benefit X-pipe will provide is improvement in sound. A little bit on 55 Kompressors, due to it lower 9:1 CR and bigger bang on 63s, due to it's higher11.3:1 CR.

This is based on playing with exhaust tuning for over 20 years and trying out a lot of different configurations on a lot of different engines.
Ok well said, so if my primary reason to mod the exhaust is to get more sound would cutting the mufflers and removing the packing and baffles be avisable. It may be more cost effective.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by shardul
Ok well said, so if my primary reason to mod the exhaust is to get more sound would cutting the mufflers and removing the packing and baffles be avisable. It may be more cost effective.
Not quite. It really depends on what type of sound (tone) you're looking for. Gutting the mufflers is going to make your car more raspy and sort of sound like a V8 Camaro with straight pipes. Now if that sound appeals to you then go for it.

Adding an x-pipe will not make your car any more louder, all it will do is smooth out the burble of the exhaust pulses ever so slightly.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by bobgodd
Not quite. It really depends on what type of sound (tone) you're looking for. Gutting the mufflers is going to make your car more raspy and sort of sound like a V8 Camaro with straight pipes. Now if that sound appeals to you then go for it.

Adding an x-pipe will not make your car any more louder, all it will do is smooth out the burble of the exhaust pulses ever so slightly.
I know this may sound stupid but I am trying to replicate the sound of the MB F1 pace/safety car. I was walking on the grid and they fired it up and the sound was intoxicating, just a deep rumble at idle.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by shardul
I know this may sound stupid but I am trying to replicate the sound of the MB F1 pace/safety car. I was walking on the grid and they fired it up and the sound was intoxicating, just a deep rumble at idle.
shardul there has never been a 55k motor'd F1 pace car. Previously it was the SLK55, and now it is the SL63.

-m
Old 02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
shardul there has never been a 55k motor'd F1 pace car. Previously it was the SLK55, and now it is the SL63.

-m
Thanks never said it was a 55 it was the sl63. Even if I can get me car to sound 60% like the sl I will be happy.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:44 PM

'03 E55
I had the secondary cats and resonator removed from my car and requested an x-pipe in place of the resonator. The jacka$$ who did the install tried to just straight pipe it with no x-pipe, and it truly sounded like *****. It droned horribly, sounded very rough, and lost quite a bit of oomph. i made him put in the x-pipe that I had requested and the sound was just what I wanted.

When you start the car in the morning, it is louder and there is a nice burble to the sound. Once the idle settles in, the car sounds stock. While driving, the sound is just a little louder than stock, until you get on it, and then it really sounds great.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Q..

AMG GT, AMG GLE 53
Originally Posted by chiromikey
has anyone experimented with placement ?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Q..

AMG GT, AMG GLE 53
Originally Posted by Hazy1
I had the secondary cats and resonator removed from my car and requested an x-pipe in place of the resonator. The jacka$$ who did the install tried to just straight pipe it with no x-pipe, and it truly sounded like *****. It droned horribly, sounded very rough, and lost quite a bit of oomph. i made him put in the x-pipe that I had requested and the sound was just what I wanted.

When you start the car in the morning, it is louder and there is a nice burble to the sound. Once the idle settles in, the car sounds stock. While driving, the sound is just a little louder than stock, until you get on it, and then it really sounds great.
Duly noted !
Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
i have some vids with my previous setup.
kleeman k1, Renntech shorty headers and resonator delete (replaced with straight pipes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAA6X...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opstY...eature=channel

i have recently removed the renntech headers and replaced them with the kleeman headers and downpipe. it got much louder and meaner after that. i also recently purchased a VRP x-pipe but i have not installed it yet. ill make some new vids when i get back into town though.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
X-pipe is for power more than sound. If you want sound just delete resonators. A properly designed X-pipe will make more power, but as mentioned not all X-pipes are the same so if yo aren't making more power, they you aren't using a properly designed X-pipe. The X-pipes have been dyno proven time & again on the E55s.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
The X-pipes have been dyno proven time & again on the E55s.
Dyno data???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: QUALITY of exhaust note: to X pipe...or to not X pipe ??