W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-04-2015, 08:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

How to remove wood trim??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
How to remove wood trim??

I'm pulling off my wood trim to get it redone.... Anyway, how the hell do you take it off? I'm talking doors and dash. I figured out the shifter and CD changer already. Oh and I guess how do you take off the cup holder and the buttons on the split center console door (I have an '03)?

Steve??? Mark??? :P

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Door panels Must be removed to r/r the wood trim on the doors

The buttons on the console release..remove the complete assy

Dash trim slide and remove with the end covers removed

Cup holder remove
Old 02-19-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
I am working on doing the same thing.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Redone? What is this? Certain of my wood pieces have heavy swirl marks, would love to know what can be done to refinish them. TIA.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Out Of Control!

How to remove wood trims...

Very easy!

Just time consuming. lol
Old 02-19-2009, 05:12 PM

Huracan. S63. CL63. E55.
The easiest way to remove the trim from the console and dash would be with a plastic trim removal kit. 3M sells this product and it comes with various different plastic tools that won't harm your trim. As far as removing the pieces from the interior trim panels I believe you will need to remove the panels first and pop them out from the back. You may be able to get access to the mounting tabs without removing the trim panels but you run the risk of breaking off the tabs.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Most of you guys are right, the door panels do need to come off to remove the wood, the dash piece removes by carefully prying the plastic dash trim on each side of the dash that is hidden by the closed door. There is a torx screw on each side, remove that. then gently pry up and back towards the back of the car. Lifting gently, the whole piece will come out together(be very careful around the steering colum, if you crack it, you cost yourself around $900).

Originally Posted by efivefiveamg
Redone? What is this? Certain of my wood pieces have heavy swirl marks, would love to know what can be done to refinish them. TIA.
You can actually buff them like paint. The MB wood has a pretty thick layer of clear urethane on them. I even used an orbital and 2 stages of compound on the black wood in my wife's CLK(after I removed them).

Nick
Old 02-19-2009, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
I'm getting them redone in carbon fiber
Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Originally Posted by The Godfather
I'm getting them redone in carbon fiber
where, how much?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Im going through my guy who did it on my S4. It's about a grand....
Old 02-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Out Of Control!

Im going through my guy who did it on my S4. It's about a grand....
Save yourself that grand and just do it yourself. That's what i did when i found out how much to take off and re-install the trims on mine (roughly around $3k from the dealership LOL).
Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JamE55
Save yourself that grand and just do it yourself. That's what i did when i found out how much to take off and re-install the trims on mine (roughly around $3k from the dealership LOL).

Dont forget the cup holder and shift knob
Old 02-21-2009, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by JamE55
You need to learn how to read. I'm taking off the trim myself. I ain't paying 1grand to get removed lol

Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
No knob, I got keyless go and no wood on my ****.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Out Of Control!

Sadly it's still there. lol One of these days.

You need to learn how to read. I'm taking off the trim myself. I ain't paying 1grand to get removed lol
Don't you have your flight attendants do that for you?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
No I don't, they are in my plane, duh!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Ok holy crap man! This is MUCH more involved than said! I'm sure Steve can do it with his eyes closed, but not having had ANY DYI threads to look at, I was blind for most of it.

Here are some tips:

Dash - Yes, it slides. For the big piece, pop the cover on the right side of the dash, then I think there is a torx screw, and slide the piece to the right. It's hard, but it works. DO NOT pull on the corner. I did that and bent/cracked the wood. Oh well, I bent it back and it's alright. It's gonna get redone anyway. Thank god for the strong metal backing.

The left side of the dash, I actually did it first, and pulled it straight toward me while seated. After looking at how the right side was done, I think I could have slid it to the left and emulated the same method.

CONSOLE AREA
Shifter plate. Open your cupholder door, and reach it and pull straight up. It pops up. Unplug all the stuff. Then, you have clips that hold the gearknob leather trim thing. Pop it out and you can then remove the plate altogether. Then unscrew the little torx screws that hold the air matic buttons and the shifter indicator.

ASHTRAY:
You have to remove the shifter plate first. Once done, you open the ashtray first and then pull it up, it slides right out. Unplug the two plugs behind it.

CD CHANGER DOOR TRIM:

Two torx 20 screws, one on each side at the base of it. TWO ways of doing it: A) have the CD changer door open, and then unplug everything at the rear bottom area of the changer. Three plugs, including orange fiber optic cable. That will keep the door open.

OR B, unplug everything but keep the door closed and slide the changer out. Keep the gear level on N or D so you can move it out of the way. Same thing to do by the way for the Ashtray. Then you have to pop the actuator motor by unscrewing the torx screws. This frees up the door mechanism and you can ope and close the door as you wish.

So now you got your door open w/ the changer poking out. Go and unscrew the one or two screws that are on the bottom portion of the changer. Pop the rear area where the fan is, unplug whatever is connect to the changer Then two screws on each side of the face of the changer need to be removed. Once that’s done, the changer slides right out. This allows you access to the 4 tiny torx screws that are on the back of the face plate. Once that’s off, there are 3 more screws to remove that hold the control buttons in place. Then your trim pops right off.

2003 models have the split center armrest door -which are a million times better than the other thing that was made to accommodate fat Americans and their 64oz drinks (lol I’m imitating Steve ROTFL!) To remove the two triangular buttons, while seated, push then down a bit and forward toward the head unit. It just slides right off.

For the door of the cupholder, there is a little tab to pry on the underside with a flat head screwdriver and it too slides right out.

DOORS

It’s a PITA to do and I don’t wanna type anymore b/c my hands hurt lol. So you are on your own unless you MUST know.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WOW

You cracked the wood?....One must NOT force trim as it will break You should know that!

Ahhhh Come on please type the story on the door panel removal We MUST Know! and maybe some pics
Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
WOW

You cracked the wood?....One must NOT force trim as it will break You should know that!

Ahhhh Come on please type the story on the door panel removal We MUST Know! and maybe some pics
yeah I was pulling to the right to slide it out and then I cracked it. Ah it's alright.

The doors oh man. easy to remove the door panels. Pop the cover by the grab handle area, take two screws out, take the screw out by the door latch catch thing, pop the cover where the vent intake thing is, take the screw out, pop all the rivet things then pull up done. Then unscrew the seat adjust buttons and mirror buttons (only on driver side) that releases the wood trim, but then you have those nasty self tapping rings on the rest of the wood trim that You have to break off. that's a ***** to do.

Rear doors, you do the same thing pretty much, except you have to pop the ashtray out as there is a screw behind and pop the SRS logo cap as there is a screw there as well. The wood trim is held only by the self tapping ring ****.

That's the jist of it.

Dealer sells those self tapping rings? I"m gonna need some. How the hell do you put that on too? Is there a special tool for it?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dealer sells those self tapping rings? I"m gonna need some. How the hell do you put that on too? Is there a special tool for it?
One can remove the clips WITHOUT breaking them..take your time..NO HACKAGE
Yes proper tool for the job ..And Dealer sells the clips
Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
LOL I couldn't remove it without breaking the rings. I was partially impatient too. Took me a good two hours. I don't have epc can you look up those rings for me please so I can order Em? Btw what's the retail for the replacement wood pieces sobi can insure it in case ups loses it.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:23 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Great write up!! I am going to tackle this project this weekend. I have a feeling my patience is going to expire pretty quickly.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by psuball1
Great write up!! I am going to tackle this project this weekend. I have a feeling my patience is going to expire pretty quickly.
CF?
Mark, answer me!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:42 PM

I am trying to remove the right hand dash trim. I slid it to the right but cannot seem to get it to come loose. Nervous about cracking it. 2005 E55. I see some mention of torx screws but do not see them. Removed side cover and slid as far to the right as it would go???
Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55, 2010 C63
My wood trim crack a little so I went to the dealer and they want $343 for one piece... I guess I'll just buy some crazy glue then...
Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 PM

W211 E55
does anyone know how i can remove the climate control unit and the trim around the climate control? I also need to remove the left and right air vents.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to remove wood trim??