Sponsored by:

Modified AMG mufflers and resonator delete.. Pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
thanks for the pics, I know a lot of people, including myself, wanted to see how it looking inside the mufflers!
Old 03-06-2009, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
A few friends and I are planning an impromptu meet at the woodbury town center saturday morning. Anyone who wants to come check out the exhaust or just hang. PM me today.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
May I ask what the ball park cost would be on gutting the mufflers? Would anyone see any power loss if I simply tried to replace my mufflers with C63 mufflers which I believe are smaller?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Max.H
A few friends and I are planning an impromptu meet at the woodbury town center saturday morning. Anyone who wants to come check out the exhaust or just hang. PM me today.
Hey Max. My Sat. is tied up, I'll PM you l8r to setup a meet.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by mprsev
May I ask what the ball park cost would be on gutting the mufflers? Would anyone see any power loss if I simply tried to replace my mufflers with C63 mufflers which I believe are smaller?
I like where you head is at.. You wont lose any power from adding C63 mufflers UNLESS the piping is smaller then the E63. Delete your resonators too. My buddy has it done on his CLS63 and it sounds great!

efivefiveamg: No problemo.

shardul: OK, I will keep you posted if I decide to sell these.

audion19s: Yes, the car will be much louder.

vader55: Sorta, The car sounds like a louder and throatier version of stock.

I don't think the baffles HAVE to go. But, if you want that really aggressive sound I would consider it. I like how psuball's car sounds. It may be over the top for some people.. I know that deleting cats will increase the sound even more so I will see how that goes. I will document and take pics along the way.

The E55 in stock form is way too quite for such a powerful car. Now it finally has some growl to it.

Last edited by Max.H; 03-07-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
LOL Max looks like you and I go to the same muffler place! They did my Xpipe. How much did the homies charge you?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Hey Mike, I happened to be in the area with a my buddy's CLS63. I usually go to my friends muffler shop. But, he was booked up for the week. The guys at this place were cool. They gave us a decent price for both cars.

He is going to make me a custom x pipe as well and do the rest of the work from here on out.

BTW Pm replied.

Last edited by Max.H; 03-06-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
I always wondered how that was done and what it looked like. Sweet. Thanks for sharing Max!
Old 03-07-2009, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
thank you very much for this ANTEPRIMA

you write:
This is with the upper u bend cut. Below the layers of fiberglass are 2 resonated pipes that lead to the exhaust tips..

please correct me: gas flow enters directly from the exhaust pipe into the U and then goes from one the U exits into those 2 pipes below (which are not directly connected to the U)

I hardly see those 2 pipes below that lead to tips .. pipes seem without holes

do you have one more pic showing this ?
Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by dyno
thank you very much for this ANTEPRIMA

you write:
This is with the upper u bend cut. Below the layers of fiberglass are 2 resonated pipes that lead to the exhaust tips..

please correct me: gas flow enters directly from the exhaust pipe into the U and then goes from one the U exits into those 2 pipes below (which are not directly connected to the U)
after the U bend the gases travel into a small chamber then exits through dual pipes (located underneath the U bend) and out the mufflers.

I hardly see those 2 pipes below that lead to tips .. pipes seem without holes

do you have one more pic showing this ?

Unfortunately those pics did not turn out good. They are 2 small tubes approximately 1.5 inch in diameter and run lengthwise on the floor of the muffler itself. Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
thanks

ps: should try just replacing those 2 pipes with bigger ones ..

Last edited by dyno; 03-07-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 PM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
[quote=Max.H;3394528]I think the car sounds great. No drone here..

As far as performance goes its hard to tell, the esp lights comes on tad earlier though.

I saw the welds and they are clean. I highly doubt they will leak. First of all the muffler will never get that hot and second it is not holding that much pressure to break a solid bead of weld. So, that theory goes right out the window.

not really mufflers take alot of vibration that is why they break and fail after usually 75000 miles sometimes..

my point was that when a AMG muffler or merc muffler or any stock muffler is designed with rock wool and packing in it,, the muffler is made LARGER, so it can accomadate it..

when the same manufacturer makes a race muffler with less rockwool and packing, they make the muffler SMALLER, cause it does not have to be as big cause ther eis not material inside,, HOWEVER,, they also make it smaller, because a larger EMPTY muffler is a ECHO CHAMBER, and sound will bounce around more inside in a larger area.
this is not up for debate its a engineering principal of sound.. ask any muffler maker, I have asked magnaflow, and remus about this.

that is why look at the same brand muffler in OEM, SPORT and RACE models, and each one, successfully has less material in it to make it louder, but also is SMALLER
so as to increase SOUND and DB but to reduce DRONE and RESONANCE.

when you increase Volume and LOUDNESS, you increase the risk of DRONE, and RESONANCE. so you must compensate with a smaller MUFFLER chamber
look at any RACE straight through design muffler, they are SMALL like 3x6 4 x9 et to reduce the chamber and unwanted resonance..

enjoy your frankenstein mufflers, hope they work.. you will only know when you do 1800-2500 rpm on the freeway, and then accelerate, that is where maximum resonance and drone occurs..
hope it works for you

enjoy man..

Last edited by storm; 03-08-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:53 PM

nascar
Hey did you guys meet up today?

Any sound clips?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
[QUOTE=storm;3397426][quote=Max.H;3394528]I think the car sounds great. No drone here..

As far as performance goes its hard to tell, the esp lights comes on tad earlier though.

I saw the welds and they are clean. I highly doubt they will leak. First of all the muffler will never get that hot and second it is not holding that much pressure to break a solid bead of weld. So, that theory goes right out the window.

not really mufflers take alot of vibration that is why they break and fail after usually 75000 miles sometimes..

sometimes? Anything can happen. But do you think for one second any major car maker would build an exhaust system for a high performance car that could fall apart at 75k miles?? The car has rubber exhaust hangers. FYI, if your cars exhaust system is vibrating enough to break apart stamped steel and solid beads of weld. You have BIGGER problems then a little drone.

BTW Could you show us 1 AMG exhaust that has failed and fallen apart after 75000 miles? My car has 71k and i saw no signs of this wear you speak of.

my point was that when a AMG muffler or merc muffler or any stock muffler is designed with rock wool and packing in it,, the muffler is made LARGER, so it can accomadate it..

Nobody is arguing with you about this.

when the same manufacturer makes a race muffler with less rockwool and packing, they make the muffler SMALLER, cause it does not have to be as big cause ther eis not material inside,, HOWEVER,, they also make it smaller, because a larger EMPTY muffler is a ECHO CHAMBER, and sound will bounce around more inside in a larger area.
this is not up for debate its a engineering principal of sound.. ask any muffler maker, I have asked magnaflow, and remus about this.

Thats great and very true, I agree. thank you for your info. I think I know thing or two about smaller free flow mufflers. It's not rocket science.. Maybe you can make your own thread about rockwool and bouncing echo chambers.

that is why look at the same brand muffler in OEM, SPORT and RACE models, and each one, successfully has less material in it to make it louder, but also is SMALLER
so as to increase SOUND and DB but to reduce DRONE and RESONANCE.

Again, you are going off on some tangent. Nobody is arguing with you. What is your point? THE CAR DOES NOT DRONE LIKE YOUR THINKING. Dude, just let it go.

when you increase Volume and LOUDNESS, you increase the risk of DRONE, and RESONANCE. so you must compensate with a smaller MUFFLER chamber
look at any RACE straight through design muffler, they are SMALL like 3x6 4 x9 et to reduce the chamber and unwanted resonance..

I guess you might have breezed by this post by HAVOC: "+1
Vadim gutted my stock AMG mufflers and I noticed no drone either. At the time I still had the stock headers, cats, and resonators though."

enjoy your frankenstein mufflers, hope they work.. you will only know when you do 1800-2500 rpm on the freeway, and then accelerate, that is where maximum resonance and drone occurs..
hope it works for you

I am enjoying them, my friends who rode in my car last night did also. Not sure what your talking about, my car is still quite. We are talking about a Mercedes cabin not a gutted out race car. It does work for me. I appreciate your concern.

enjoy man..

Thank You come again.

Last edited by Max.H; 03-10-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Max.H, Your killing me lol.... well said.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
We need video clips!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
[

""BTW Could you show us 1 AMG exhaust that has failed and fallen apart after 75000 miles? My car has 71k and i saw no signs of this wear you speak of. "

actually , if you talk to any muffler company or tech, or engineer
they will tell you mufflers lose about 40-50% of their effectiveness
at around 60 k miles.. anyone who knows cars know this
why a ferrari with perhaps the most expensive and best exhaust mufflers, for example , is like 50% louder at 80k miles
than it was new and when you replace the muffler it solves that..

been around a ton of car restorers and collectors and they all will tell you that as well..as well as any exotic mechanic

any muffler maker, I have asked magnaflow, and remus about this.

Thats great and very true, I agree. thank you for your info. I think I know thing or two about smaller free flow mufflers. It's not rocket science.. Maybe you can make your own thread about rockwool and bouncing echo chambers.

well that is not the point either,, the point is its IDIOTIC and GHETTO to gut mufflers on a MERCEDES, lol you do that on a FORD PINTO..
and defending that is insane.

Vadim gutted my stock AMG mufflers and I noticed no drone either. At the time I still had the stock headers, cats, and resonators though."

well that is the only reason your not getting drone, or loudness or raspyness, cause the rest of your system is stock..
but if you did have larger piping, no cats or racing cats,
headers, more HP, or decent aftermarket mufflers like EISENMANN,
RENTECH or REMUS , they would be way too loud and sound like crap

still its your car and yours to enjoy,, so no biggie..

just a strange way to being frugal, when you own a mercedes, but hey to each his own

Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Here's a sound clip of the start up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjjt64Yq4TE

Last edited by Max.H; 03-10-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by storm
[

""BTW Could you show us 1 AMG exhaust that has failed and fallen apart after 75000 miles? My car has 71k and i saw no signs of this wear you speak of. "

actually , if you talk to any muffler company or tech, or engineer
they will tell you mufflers lose about 40-50% of their effectiveness
at around 60 k miles.. anyone who knows cars know this
why a ferrari with perhaps the most expensive and best exhaust mufflers, for example , is like 50% louder at 80k miles
than it was new and when you replace the muffler it solves that..

been around a ton of car restorers and collectors and they all will tell you that as well..as well as any exotic mechanic

Captain Obvious over here. Thanks for the lesson in muffler tech 101.

any muffler maker, I have asked magnaflow, and remus about this. w

well that is not the point either,, the point is its IDIOTIC and GHETTO to gut mufflers on a MERCEDES, lol you do that on a FORD PINTO..
and defending that is insane.

Your ranting and babbling is not making any sense. Do us all a favor and bounce yourself back to your echo chambers. Thanks for stopping by.

YOU TRANSMIT BUT YOU DO NOT RECEIVE.

well that is the only reason your not getting drone, or loudness or raspyness, cause the rest of your system is stock..
but if you did have larger piping, no cats or racing cats,
headers, more HP, or decent aftermarket mufflers like EISENMANN,
RENTECH or REMUS , they would be way too loud and sound like crap

still its your car and yours to enjoy,, so no biggie..

Exactly.

just a strange way to being frugal, when you own a mercedes, but hey to each his own

The purpose of this was not to be frugal ace, relax.. That is merely your opinion

r

Last edited by Max.H; 03-10-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Here's a sound clip of the start up.

Let's polish up those tips to represent.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Nice sound.. Now let's get it on the road and hear it!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Sounds awesome
Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
r

well glad your happy ACE< but to be honest the car sounds like crap..

its getting way to much sound reflection from the exhaust bouncing around the NOW TO LARGE MUFFLER, that is NOW EMPTY,

I saw this again, since you dont seem to get it..
if you have a larger muffler its to accomadate SOUND DEADING materials

when OEMS, want louder exhaust, they make a SMALLER MUFFLER like the race mufflers that have LESS SOND MATERIALS in them,
but then have to be smaller so as not to be ONE LARGE ECHO CHAMBER

reducing reflections.. why when you go into an HUGE ROOM in a house, with no furniture and hard floors and yell ECHO< it will ECHO ALOT

take the same room and add furniture, and carpet and it WONT

OR TAKE a smaller room, and gut it, with no furniture, and hard floors and the sound will only echo 1/2 as much and not as bad..

you took a HUGE ROOM, with carpet and FURNITURE,
( your AMG MUFFLER, Stock) and EMPTIED IT, leavingt a large EMPTY
ECHO ROOM..
instead of just getting a smaller Muffler

you way better off getting either EISENMANNS, or REMUS,
or at least a SMALLER AMG MUFFLER that is LOUDER.

like the best AMG sounding muffler to date, the C 63
which was specifically designed to be louder and a sports car from AMG

since you dont know,, SMALLER mufflers like racing mufflers are LOUDER,,

you went the cheapo route which is OK, just admit it,, and say you did not want to spend alot of money
rather than try to defend with BS tech talk, or rationalize that somehow gutting AMG mufflers is better than getting a decent aftermarket one..
or at least a smaller AMG one.

nuff said , bored with this topic..

you have to drive the damn thing.. and deal with it
enjoy
Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.

its getting way to much sound reflection from the exhaust bouncing around the NOW TO LARGE MUFFLER, that is NOW EMPTY,

when OEMS, want louder exhaust, they make a SMALLER MUFFLER like the race mufflers that have LESS SOND MATERIALS in them,

reducing reflections.. why when you go into an HUGE ROOM in a house, with no furniture and hard floors and yell ECHO< it will ECHO ALOT

OR TAKE a smaller room, and gut it, with no furniture, and hard floors and the sound will only echo 1/2 as much and not as bad..

ECHO ROOM..

you went the cheapo route which is OK, just admit it,, and say you did not want to spend alot of money
rather than try to defend with BS tech talk, or rationalize that somehow gutting AMG mufflers is better than getting a decent aftermarket one..

enjoy
I for one, don't dispute any of these facts. If you see my *** doing the gutting, it's b/c I'm a cheap **** and it works just fine, no need to spend $2500 on another system lol
Old 03-12-2009, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

I think you are just upset that nobody is listening to your ranting . So you are trying to take a cheap shot with personal attacks.. Scary how right I am, isn't it?? So, what do you drive? Can you post a sound clip of your car? I mean all this preaching about your muffler tech 101. I am sure you must have something that sounds incredible. So please post up IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER... Or go clean your room and do your homework.

You sound like a broken record. Keep going You are amusing to me. Please continue.

You don't seem to get the fact that you seem to be suffering from some type of borderline pychosis. Who are you arguing with?

What is this twilight zone? WTH is going on here? Back already from the echo chambers I see. Did you not see my previous post. YOU TRANSMIT BUT YOU DO NOT RECEIVE!

I like how you are trying to prove a point THAT NOBODY IS ARGUING WITH YOU ABOUT.

No thanks I am perfectly happy with my furniture. You can go find the same stuff at crate and barrel if you want.

Since you know so much about moving furniture. Maybe I can hire you to come move my stuff when I buy my next house. You can wrap my stuff up in some of that rockwool like you mentioned.

ECHO ROOM..

Yea, open floor plans with huge rooms are great. I have a friend that installs custom home theater systems. Maybe you can do some consulting for him. With your bouncing echo chamber and acoustics theory's.

Listen sport, I will do whatever I please. You can buy your own AMG and do what you want with it. Mmm kayy?

Nooo wayyy! Your pulling my leg... Duuuuuh

Talking about things people dont know. I bet you have no idea how much of a horses *** your making yourself look like right now.

I wanted more sound from my stock exhaust and I got it. I don't care what you think. I don't think anyone else on here does either. Admit what? You have some major issues my man. Were you not socialized as a child? Kids beat you up all the time? What gives? Show me one quote where I or anyone else in this thread said that gutting stock mufflers is BETTER then aftermarket mufflers?? It's ok.. I will wait............... Exactly, Nobody said that. You just made that up in your own mind. You have been trying to make an argument out of this and prove points that is COMMON KNOWLEDGE.. What else are you going to tell us?? The world is round?? Or maybe that Dungenous crab cakes are delicious?? Ofcourse it is!

Awww how come? I was having so much fun. I didn't hurt your iddy biddy feewings did I?? Sniff, Sniff.. I will play nice I pwomice.

enjoy
Again, this topic has been covered already. I do drive it, my buddy's all agree the car finally sounds how it should have from the factory. (The rest of my exhaust is still stock) I enjoy every minute of it. Especially in tunnels at full boost!

So what car do you have to "deal" with everyday? I want to make sure you are not some troll.

POST UP PICS OF YOUR MERCEDES AMG WITH YOUR SCREEN NAME WRITTEN ON A PIECE OF PAPER. Or anything you say is MEANINGLESS...

Storm, I know everyone thinks your a toolbag, but I think you are hilarious.. It has to take some skill to sound that moronic. I have to stop reading your posts for now because my face hurts from laughing so hard.

Last edited by Max.H; 03-12-2009 at 02:56 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modified AMG mufflers and resonator delete.. Pics inside