W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Turbo Systems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
Nahhh your not thinking outside the box. We are making ~40hp per pound of boost iirc, so you go back to a stock size pulley and blow only 4 or 5 PSI of nice cold air from the turbos on the supercharger you only be pushing 14-15psi out of the supercharger BUT it's going to be much cooler than if you just spun up the supercharger to those boost levels.... Do that and your going to get MUCH more HP do to the timing recovery.... It's actually a winner of an idea
I agree that remote turbos are much better wrt IAT control. Lower the boost on the blower and send it air from the turbos---would be pretty sweet. Spinning the blower to 22+ psi would generate tons of heat. I just personally don't think I would do this on a Merc--just my personal preference attributed mostly to having not enough "play" money. Chevy's are all too easy to mod and much cheaper. I am in the process of putting twin 60mm Turbonetics on a 69 Camaro and it should easily make 650-700 RWHP, with the major limiting factor being the engine block--otherwise I'd aim for 1000 HP. If I had loads of cash, I'd probably do more modding on my Benz. I had no idea that Vadim has already done this...would love to see some video footage!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by chiromikey
lol, whatever dude...you're either crazy or you've never heard the system in person if you think these turbos are quiet. I'm not saying it sounds bad but they're loud comparatively speaking.

ERR you obviously did not read my damn post,, I said I not only saw a vette at WILLOW springs with one I RODE in the DAMN car around the track,,

I have seen it in person,, you have not so dont wallow out your bung hole,, with accusations you no nothing about,,

HERE IS A ENGINEERING EXPLANATION you can understand..on WHY THE REAR TURBOS ARE QUIETER

NORMAL FRONT TURBO or SC is in engine bay,, and is like 4 feet away from DRIVER< and a few feet of ducting at best..

the REMOTE TUBROs are in BACK some 9 feet away, add to that,, the fact they recirculate the sound from rear back up front again, which dicipates the sound \much more..
distance= less sound thing? so after lke 20 feet of tubing,, are you saying the sound will still be LOUDER on this rear turbo.. than your SC that is 3 feet away from you..?

you must be HIGH

until you have heard it in person, you cant begin to comment intelligently on the subject,, YOUR JUST GUESSING and SPECULATING..

where I have heard it,.

nuff said

Last edited by storm; 03-11-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 PM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
Mikey, this is the guy that's a Porsche and GM test driver..... so I'm betting on crazy

yeah well, your guessing like your friend too,,Mikey

since he makes comments and has not heard the car in person like I have then that makes him guessing and wrong,, since I saw and rode in teh GD car..

so defending that,, the pure speculation just makes yo look as ignorant
and stubborn as him

armchair,, warrior, kinda..

considering it WON the GM DESIGN award one very pretigeous awards
around,, and others,, and JAY LENO and TONY Stewart endorse it and have them,, and many many track experts and mechainxs swear by them..
and VADIM has done one as well

I think I will take all their opinions and mine since I have seen and been in a vette with one in person,,

OVER you 2 FRUITY ASSCLOWNS and your armchair,, 1/2 assed guesses..

if you disagree with some facts,, FIND SOME FACTS TO BACK YOUR CRAP UP, PROVE IT<, dont just spew your lame BS..

why I posted links, and pictures and speed records, and TRACK times...

you are just standing there with you mouth open and your **** in your hand..

so until you know something different about the remote turbo systems

how about STFU, or put up some facts about how you know the turbo system is loud and does not work..??
lets see you dig you hole deeper

Last edited by storm; 03-11-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Did the M5 with STS ever run?
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ou-cant-f.html

Vadim says no.
https://mbworld.org/forums/2091026-post22.html

So I'll trust Vadim's words in print. Like the BMW we have an ECU that presents many issues,
if this STS ever makes it on a Mercedes I think Vadim will be the one to do it. Many marine engines have been compound (turbo and supercharged) for over 30 years, someday the E55 will be too. best of both worlds. Some time ago there was a rumor of a turboKompressor E55 in the Northwest.

Last edited by Yacht Master; 03-11-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 PM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by Yacht Master

not sure, man first time I saw this post but thanks for it, will check it out

I do know there are like 20 cars here with testamonials and track times..
that do run fine with it..

from VETTES, to 350 Z's to DODGES.. to PICKUPS,, all doing like 500-750 hp

check it out if you want

http://www.ststurbo.com/testimonials
Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
Originally Posted by tuningtechnician
While you have shown some very "on point" knowledge and questionable skepticism at times, I didn't mention what I am doing to the internals and even at stock compression levels you can run ~10psi (.7 bar) to make ~650rwhp with an LS3. Meth/EBC with another 3-5psi(~1 bar) to make ~750rwhp.

If you use your math and add the 440rwhp(that number is made with a blower/turbo cam, complete exhaust, CAI and a hot cam tune) and add 7psi that would make.....................................650rwhp!

You should know.....IT'S ALL ABOUT THE TUNE!

I am not too concerned with the engine holding up but it's that new tranny that they're using. No parts to beef it up just yet!

Trying a CF driveshaft to help ease the pain the tranny MIGHT feel!

Sorry bro...you misunderstood---I wasnt talking about the LS3......Ive seen 10psi on that platform MANY times with my own eyes. In fact --Im proud to say one of the top corvette tuners is right here in Ontario. I was refering to the CLK63.

The Vette LS engines have been boosted many different ways....we know the limits are known and more importantly---People tuning them have a great deal of knowledge and experience on what works. The same cant be said for the CLK63.

Definitely post up the results of the project!! Id love to see them! Are you doing internals?Heads?cams? 750rwhp might be a little high no?? I recall seeing a c5 vette recently with 383ci, STS with 32's and 12psi of boost that put down ~650-680rwhp.

With 14psi and better heads I guess 750 is very doable....good luck!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by storm
yeah well, your guessing like your friend too,,Mikey

since he makes comments and has not heard the car in person like I have then that makes him guessing and wrong,, since I saw and rode in teh GD car..

so defending that,, the pure speculation just makes yo look as ignorant
and stubborn as him

armchair,, warrior, kinda..

considering it WON the GM DESIGN award one very pretigeous awards
around,, and others,, and JAY LENO and TONY Stewart endorse it and have them,, and many many track experts and mechainxs swear by them..
and VADIM has done one as well

I think I will take all their opinions and mine since I have seen and been in a vette with one in person,,

OVER you 2 FRUITY ASSCLOWNS and your armchair,, 1/2 assed guesses..

if you disagree with some facts,, FIND SOME FACTS TO BACK YOUR CRAP UP, PROVE IT<, dont just spew your lame BS..

why I posted links, and pictures and speed records, and TRACK times...

you are just standing there with you mouth open and your **** in your hand..

so until you know something different about the remote turbo systems

how about STFU, or put up some facts about how you know the turbo system is loud and does not work..??
lets see you dig you hole deeper
Storm, while I am no one to question a professional's limitless knowledge ... I gotta ask, you ever thought about taking an English class?

Reading your posts is like trying to decipher The Matrix.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
ERR you obviously did not read my damn post,, I said I not only saw a vette at WILLOW springs with one I RODE in the DAMN car around the track,,

I have seen it in person,, you have not so dont wallow out your bung hole,, with accusations you no nothing about,,

HERE IS A ENGINEERING EXPLANATION you can understand..on WHY THE REAR TURBOS ARE QUIETER

NORMAL FRONT TURBO or SC is in engine bay,, and is like 4 feet away from DRIVER< and a few feet of ducting at best..

the REMOTE TUBROs are in BACK some 9 feet away, add to that,, the fact they recirculate the sound from rear back up front again, which dicipates the sound \much more..
distance= less sound thing? so after lke 20 feet of tubing,, are you saying the sound will still be LOUDER on this rear turbo.. than your SC that is 3 feet away from you..?

you must be HIGH

until you have heard it in person, you cant begin to comment intelligently on the subject,, YOUR JUST GUESSING and SPECULATING..

where I have heard it,.

nuff said

Seriously stop now, you are truly clueless
Old 03-11-2009, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R

you must be HIGH

where I have heard it,.

nuff said
nah, i did read your post...several times...and still can't figure out what the hell you're talking about. i think you may have been insulting me but i'm really not sure.

either way, the bottom line is that if you "think" an sts turbo system is more quiet than a stock e55 system then you definitely have no experience with EITHER. time for you to go back to slapping cut-n-paste exhaust systems and bullet resonators on chevys.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by Akademiks
Storm, while I am no one to question a professional's limitless knowledge ... I gotta ask, you ever thought about taking an English class?

Reading your posts is like trying to decipher The Matrix.

sorry man, new ergonomic keyboard, and main office light went out yesterday, have to replace it..

lol, another thing on the long list,,

peace
Old 03-12-2009, 03:34 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
nah, i did read your post...several times...and still can't figure out what the hell you're talking about. i think you may have been insulting me but i'm really not sure.

either way, the bottom line is that if you "think" an sts turbo system is more quiet than a stock e55 system then you definitely have no experience with EITHER. time for you to go back to slapping cut-n-paste exhaust systems and bullet resonators on chevys.

really, so you ahve expierence with the STS turbo?? do you

have you ever seen one??

have you every taken a ride on a track with one???

have you ever used one??

HUH??? HUH??

wow,, I suspect NO..

well I have, and that makes me talking from expierence and say they are not as loud as a regular turbo..

and makes you a meathead, for guessing and talking out your bung
with no expierence with this..

here is the phone number of the STS techs,, why dont you call them
and tell them their turbo system is as loud as a regular turbo,
or louder than your SC,,

they will laugh their asses off, and probably hang up and call the people with butterfly nets..

but go for it,, put up, dude,, I am confident .. your wrong as usual

A chiropracter that is talking about facts when they are quak docs?

STS CONTACT ph
http://www.ststurbo.com/contact_us

WELL ?? we are all waiting?

so you are a CHIROQUACKER? huh,, is that making your the car expert? or you just enjoy getting close like this? hmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by storm; 03-12-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
lol...as i said in an recent post, i was just at the track with an sts turbo'd car so keep digging mr. porsche/gm factory test driver with an engineering degree in turbo and exhaust fabrication.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
lol...as i said in an recent post, i was just at the track with an sts turbo'd car so keep digging mr. porsche/gm factory test driver with an engineering degree in turbo and exhaust fabrication.

ok well so was I so, lets just call it even,
and stop arguing,, lol
I dont like to argue with fellow track guys,, we all brothers
peace man?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:23 PM

'04 Porsche 996TT X-50, '95 M3 Built & Blown
Originally Posted by HYEPWR
Sorry bro...you misunderstood---I wasnt talking about the LS3......Ive seen 10psi on that platform MANY times with my own eyes. In fact --Im proud to say one of the top corvette tuners is right here in Ontario. I was refering to the CLK63.

The Vette LS engines have been boosted many different ways....we know the limits are known and more importantly---People tuning them have a great deal of knowledge and experience on what works. The same cant be said for the CLK63.

Definitely post up the results of the project!! Id love to see them! Are you doing internals?Heads?cams? 750rwhp might be a little high no?? I recall seeing a c5 vette recently with 383ci, STS with 32's and 12psi of boost that put down ~650-680rwhp.

With 14psi and better heads I guess 750 is very doable....good luck!
Thanks for the clarification.

I am looking at, with the meth/ebc activated, making a tad over 1 bar with the LS3 which equated to ~750rwhp with a safe and rich file.

I like the dyno for before and after numbers but, as you and most of our fellow gearheads on MBWorld know, it is JUST a number. The car will be at the track many times this year(starting with the 23rd at MIR) so the real number will be what the trap speed will be the first time out and then subsequently getting the 60' and et's down to VERY respectable numbers.

Just like with JT55's beautiful, red CLK63 BS, I DO NOT have an unlimited budget and I am getting close to the figure that I quoted to the C6's owner but everyone knows how JT55's BS came out performance-wise and appearance-wise and we were outspent by a MILE by another BS owner!!

I have JT's BS in my shop now and I am spec'ing out the tubing and how to route the returns to the engine from the rear mount turbos. I just wish JT would give me the go ahead and do the TT to his car but I think that might be a pipe dream(but still hoping).

There are a few issues that will need to be addressed with the 6.2 MB engine but these are the things that most engines need done also. Even at only ~.4 bar the MB 6.2 will create some impressive numbers and keep the civility of being a Mercedes Benz.

Faith is something that you can't see but you believe in. With all of the time spent gathering the necessary information I have faith that the project will be a success if my prospective client steps up and until I get a significant deposit, that is all I have.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:24 PM

'04 Porsche 996TT X-50, '95 M3 Built & Blown

Old 03-12-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
The actual noise a turbo system produces is dependent upon a variety of factors. Location on the car is only one. Its a moot point to sit here and argue about it and I really care less if someone has an advanced engineeering degree. Some of the best mechanics I know have no degree at all. Conversely, some of those with advanced degrees have zero "practical" smarts and can't so much as turn a wrench.

What else influences the noise produced by a turbo? Other factors include: downpipe and exhaust flow capabilities, size and length of the intake leading to the compressor wheel (this increases the noise you hear when a turbo spools), turbo size, under hood insulation, bypass (blowoff) valve location and sizing, and wastgate setup. STS systems do have a considerable amount of turbo noise mainly from the compressor wheel spinning that is heard due to the intake to the compressor being very short with these types of systems (typically a conical K&N setup placed closed to the compressor if not directly connected to the housing). Just as you can make our supercharger louder by installing a less restrictive intake or removing insulation on the back of the hood, you can make the noise a turbo produces louder by taking similar measures.

Last edited by bbearden; 03-12-2009 at 07:38 PM.