W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So i brought my car to the shop today to have my x pipe installed and.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by jicl55
You won't even notice a difference.
This would be interesting to see if it passes Smog emissions with the 2nd cats out, but I'm guessing it won't....
Old 03-14-2009, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl55 (sold)
Originally Posted by chubbs032
This would be interesting to see if it passes Smog emissions with the 2nd cats out, but I'm guessing it won't....
I'm guessing it will with the primaries still in place and not having 200k miles on the car.... the problems seem to arise when removing the primary cats and keeping secondaries which is one of the reasons I did not go with the kleemann headers which I have heard (and people have posted) problems passing smog (not all of them, some of them, it seems it is kind of hit and miss). It is then necessary to do something to the tune and even then I know at least one person that had to change the secondaries to high flow cats in order to pass..... but if I don't pass (I would be pissed, but I am home to the strictest emissions state in the country (maybe the world)), I still have the secondaries and it'll cost me maybe $100 to put them back in.... I think it is fairly common for people to take out the secondaries (if you can even get a shop to do it for ya) so I think I would have heard/seen of someone "failing" due to taking out the secondaries alone, but I also have other mods as well..... guess time will tell.

Last edited by jicl55; 03-14-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl55 (sold)
Originally Posted by hamann69
Damn that sucks..Is it worth any power?
maybe 5 hp max, if that.... (which hasn't been proven by any "dyno" or anything that I know of, but I am definitely not an expert)..... and of course, you won't notice a 5 hp difference in your car anyway. That is as long as it is done with 3" piping and smooth bends, mandrel always preferred, but mine isn't (not exactly sure about the e55 exhaust cuz it is slightly different than CL55) but not much bending, if any, was necessary for mine (I think one was completely straight and the other had a very slight bend)..... otherwise you may end up losing hp. But a lot of people have done it.... I did it, and I'd do it again if I had to do it over..... just cuz it is one less restriction that the gasses have to pass through......

Now removing the primaries will increase horsepower and it has been speculated that this is one of the reasons that the kleemann midlength headers make the hp and torque they do vs. other headers..... because they get rid of the primaries.