Regular Maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
You should move down here Jon

The TSB won't help her. MBUSA will change the brakes/rotors only within the first 12,000 miles or one year since the in-service date of the car. After that, they will not do it unless whoever owned the car before have complained about the brakes before the 12,000 miles mark and the issue was still not resolved. Another exception is if the dealer is willing to dip into their good will funds to change the brakes; in that case, they will use the TSB to order the new pads accordingly, but lately very few has been willing to do so. Most of them rely on MBUSA to pay the bill, and since MBUSA has the 12,000 mile limit, dealers won't change them.

LADY_AMG, it's always worth it to try anyways.... here is the DTB: P-B-42.10/76a. It came out in July 07 for the rear brakes and then later revised (in December) to include the fronts as well.

Good luck......

+1 on this info. I tried to get my pads changed out on mine last week using the above DTB and dealer refused and gave the 12 month 12,000 mile excuse
Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
You should move down here Jon

The TSB won't help her. MBUSA will change the brakes/rotors only within the first 12,000 miles or one year since the in-service date of the car. After that, they will not do it unless whoever owned the car before have complained about the brakes before the 12,000 miles mark and the issue was still not resolved. Another exception is if the dealer is willing to dip into their good will funds to change the brakes; in that case, they will use the TSB to order the new pads accordingly, but lately very few has been willing to do so. Most of them rely on MBUSA to pay the bill, and since MBUSA has the 12,000 mile limit, dealers won't change them.

LADY_AMG, it's always worth it to try anyways.... here is the DTB: P-B-42.10/76a. It came out in July 07 for the rear brakes and then later revised (in December) to include the fronts as well.

Good luck......
Mo, Kady, from my understanding most high performance cars will get brake squeal before the pads are fully broken in. Same thing happened to me with previous cars. I have attached a link on how to bed the brakes in. After doing it. Vwalla! No more sqeal. Just another possible alternative.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Max.H
Mo, Kady, from my understanding most high performance cars will get brake squeal before the pads are fully broken in. Same thing happened to me with previous cars. I have attached a link on how to bed the brakes in. After doing it. Vwalla! No more sqeal. Just another possible alternative.

Very interesting info, thanks Max..... I will give that a try on my new brakes.

By the way, those "revised" pads from that TSB are actually different pads with different part numbers. A friend of mine did try them on his car, and told me he did notice a significant reduction in squeaking, but still sometimes it comes and goes.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 PM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Originally Posted by Max.H

I would actually use Brembo's method for bedding and breaking in pads and discs as the AMG brakes are made by their OE division. So many people make the mistake of improperly bedding in their new pads and discs which leads to a bad case of judder. It feels like your discs are warped, but in reality it's just uneven pad transfer. The key is to evenly bed the pad onto the disc.

You're also correct about certain cars being sensitive to brake squeal. MB's and Porsches as well seem to be highly sensitive to brake squeal, but this can be easily corrected with anti-squeal grease applied to the pad. If that doesn't work, you can always apply shims, but I've only seen that done on SUV's.

Last edited by LADY_AMG; 03-19-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:08 PM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Originally Posted by chiromikey
oil level sensors have plagued us since the beginning. you'd think after 6yrs of those things going bad they'd find a better part!
So is this something that will happen repeatedly or can be fixed once and for all? The engine mounts are also being replaced, but they are currently out of stock and may have to special order them from Germany.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by LADY_AMG
So is this something that will happen repeatedly or can be fixed once and for all? The engine mounts are also being replaced, but they are currently out of stock and may have to special order them from Germany.
idk. some people have never had problems with their oil sensors but many others have had to replace them...sometimes more than once!

motor mounts...already!?!? what the heck have you been up to???
Old 03-20-2009, 06:42 AM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Originally Posted by chiromikey
idk. some people have never had problems with their oil sensors but many others have had to replace them...sometimes more than once!

motor mounts...already!?!? what the heck have you been up to???
We just had them replaced on our CLS63, too. My SA says they're currently in decent condition, but will probably need to be replaced in the future so they're just going to replace them now.

I've only had the car for a couple weeks, so it's not anything I did. She mentioned that the vibration from way the 63's idle can cause motor mounts to go bad?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 AM

08 SL55, 07 E63, 07 S550
We just had them replaced on our CLS63, too. My SA says they're currently in decent condition, but will probably need to be replaced in the future so they're just going to replace them now.

I've only had the car for a couple weeks, so it's not anything I did. She mentioned that the vibration from way the 63's idle can cause motor mounts to go bad?
I think you go too fast in the short amount of time that you've had it. JK
In regards to the brake squeel, I had the same problem with my car too. The TSB, as mentioned earlier in the thread, doesn't work at all. My SA said she had no idea what the TSB was . Any how I can got pads and two front rotors replaced for a outstanding 500 bucks. Thats with a discount.

Last edited by UT_AMG; 03-20-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:58 AM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Originally Posted by UT_AMG
I think you go too fast in the short amount of time that you've had it. JK
In regards to the brake squeel, I had the same problem with my car too. The TSB, as mentioned earlier in the thread, doesn't work at all. My SA said she had no idea what the TSB was . Any how I can got pads and two front rotors replaced for a outstanding 500 bucks. Thats with a discount.
My SA doesn't know anything about brakes either. Most of them rely on their techs for the information. What I like about my SA, though, is that she actually listens and will address any concern I have with the technician.

I was quoted $351 for parts and labor to replace my rear pads and apparently there is also a small fee for the anti-squeal. Does that sound reasonable to you guys?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:18 PM

E55
Do not let them wash your car!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
Why are there no women in No. Cal. who drive AMGs?????
LOL jon....

I know one.... but she's already taken.... my wife.

Some audi/STi kids who hang out around her business always stare at her whenever she drives one.... particularly when we still had our C55. The funny thing, they didn't even look when she was driving her bimmer wagon.

I hope you're not like that when you see one Jon... LOL.

Me? I and when I saw a young & good looking lady w/ AM DBS (yes, my wife was next to me... ).
Old 03-24-2009, 05:19 PM

08 SL55, 07 E63, 07 S550
My SA doesn't know anything about brakes either. Most of them rely on their techs for the information. What I like about my SA, though, is that she actually listens and will address any concern I have with the technician.

I was quoted $351 for parts and labor to replace my rear pads and apparently there is also a small fee for the anti-squeal. Does that sound reasonable to you guys?
It's always nice to have an understandng relationship with your SA. I thinks its a resonable price. I bet that quote is spiked by labor.