Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E55 Techtite Grey
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I was wondering if there is anyway to test the batteries on the sensors. I'm not sure if just one or all of my sensors need replacing.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Yes, the dealer has a hand held "scanner" that will read the ID number and battery level of each sensor. I have had 2 go down and they were both covered under my CPO warranty even though one local dealer tried to tell me it wasn't and stick me with a $1,000 bill!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
$1K? that's BS.

I bought brand new TPMS for around $300 from Luke @ Tire Rack when I put aftermarket wheels. It works fine... You just need to give your VIN to ensure correct parts.

So if dealer would ask for your arm & leg to just scan and/or replace them, I'd say buy ones or even a set from Luke... and then ask your tire shop to install them for you.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zoink
$1K? that's BS.

I bought brand new TPMS for around $300 from Luke @ Tire Rack when I put aftermarket wheels. It works fine... You just need to give your VIN to ensure correct parts.

So if dealer would ask for your arm & leg to just scan and/or replace them, I'd say buy ones or even a set from Luke... and then ask your tire shop to install them for you.
Yes it is BS but the dealer gets $250ea for them. Last time I checked with Tire Rack, they were at a more reasonable $150ea for them.

Luckily for me, I went to a different dealer and they did it all under warranty so it didn't cost me a dime.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
I'm having issues still with my TPM System. I replaced all 4 sensors but I can't get the system to reactivate. I'm wondering if I need to have some kind of error cleared or if I need to get into SDS and tell the system to look for the new sensors??

I..am..befuddled.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
TPMS is the biggest waste of time I've ever seen. I swear to you, after having it on 3 cars I am done with it. I am having the dealership turn it off on my SL65. The sensors are GARBAGE and constantly fail, then you have a warning on the dash, the big yellow lit up character, what a waste of time and patience.

I have my pressures checked at every oil change, and I try to do it once in between them too. That's all you freaking need. Also keep on eye on the tires too, as you might not be able to notice the tire being a few psi off, but you can tell when it's lower than it needs to be. Tire pressure isn't rocket science, and I just have not been impressed by these TPMS systems at ALL. I understand there can be an extraordinary circumstance where you get something in the tire at speed and it starts to deflate, but honestly in my personal opinion the risks versus the hassle just outweigh TPMS really proving itself to be useful to me.

If anyone is curious, they can be deactivated completely through STAR.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 03-26-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
I wouldn't mind having it shut off, but that will be later down the road, as I just bought and installed 4 new sensors... And I cannot let that money go to waste ya know?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
TPMS is the biggest waste of time I've ever seen. I swear to you, after having it on 3 cars I am done with it. I am having the dealership turn it off on my SL65. The sensors are GARBAGE and constantly fail, then you have a warning on the dash, the big yellow lit up character, what a waste of time and patience.

I have my pressures checked at every oil change, and I try to do it once in between them too. That's all you freaking need. Also keep on eye on the tires too, as you might not be able to notice the tire being a few psi off, but you can tell when it's lower than it needs to be. Tire pressure isn't rocket science, and I just have not been impressed by these TPMS systems at ALL. I understand there can be an extraordinary circumstance where you get something in the tire at speed and it starts to deflate, but honestly in my personal opinion the risks versus the hassle just outweigh TPMS really proving itself to be useful to me.

If anyone is curious, they can be deactivated completely through STAR.

-m
i turned mine off and put race valve stems on my new wheels. Big waste of time.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by TTAMG
You are a smart man. I might look into that as well.

-m
Old 03-27-2009, 08:07 AM

03' E55 Techtite Grey
Originally Posted by TTAMG
What are race valve stems?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NSX2NV
What are race valve stems?

This should be interesting but my guess is that they are like race lug nuts....both something we would never actually use on a race car.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic
Bring it back to your dealer!! They have the scanners to test the battery...